• Published 14th Oct 2011
  • 4,030 Views, 48 Comments

My Little Pony: Genesis of the Forerunners - Bullet Soul



War is brought to Equestria in a fight for the most powerful weapon in the universe.

  • ...
0
 48
 4,030

Chapter 1: The Genesis

Mercy Soul was looking forward to this day ending and so was every other guard, but Mercy began to fidget, even though he was the most disciplined guard under Princess Celestia’s rule. He and every other militant had been standing for almost five hours straight. Today might only come once a year, but it was a dreaded day, to some extent, when it came.

Today was the annual Day of Recognition, a day when the entirety of the armed forces under Princess Celestia’s reign was recognized for any and all achievements, medals of honor, noteworthy feats, and accomplishments that the members of her military had earned and deserved acknowledgement for. The guards with the least amount of achievements are recognized first; the ones with the most last.

Every guard had gone by now except for one, and Mercy Soul would be grateful to finally move. Head held high and shoulders squared he awaited his name to be called.

“And last, but most clearly not least.” Princess Celestia stepped forward on the stage once more and spoke aloud to all of Canterlot and residents of Ponyville. “Mercy Soul, please step forward.”

Mercy Soul walked to the front of the stage and bowed as he approached the Princess. Celestia turned towards the Unicorn Stallion as he dropped his head. “You may stand.” She said with a polite smile. She turned back towards the crowd, who was busy applauding, and began her speech for the Unicorn. “I am sure we all know this Unicorn. He has saved us multiple times. He is the wonderful Stallion who single-handedly saved us from the Manticore invasion. He defeated the raging Hydra by himself at Froggy Bottom Bog and nearly sacrificed his own life to save his troop while they traversed the Everfree Forest and awoke the sleeping beast known as an Ursa Major.” At those words his troop of Alicorns, who were standing behind him, took a bow towards him showing their gratitude for his noble deed. They did owe their life to him after all.

Princess Celestia continued her speech. “He is the only non-Alicorn to lead an Alicorn of any kind and not only that, but to lead a whole squad of Alicorns. His skills prove unexplainable and his magic capacity nearly matches mine and still shows potential, like another Unicorn I know.” Princess Celestia scanned the crowd of Ponies for a certain individual, her favorite pupil, and there that pupil was. A lavender coated Unicorn stood in the midst of the crowd with a purple dragon slumped over on her back, nearly asleep (which isn’t surprising), while being surrounded by a strong orange Earth Pony, a dolled up white Unicorn with a flowing purple mane, a fidgeting pink Earth Pony, a yellow Pegasus with shy looking eyes, and a light blue Pegasus, standing tall and proud, with a rainbow colored tail and mane.

Celestia smiled. “You have gone above and beyond your call of duty, Mercy Soul. And so has your troop and for all these reasons and many more I give you and your troop the mark of the Celestial Crusaders. You all shall no longer be a part of the Solar Royal Guards, but your own squad, a squad that has not existed before now. You all are your own squad and with the title of the Celestial Crusaders you are now under my, and Luna’s, direct control and are the most elite force in all of Equestria. Please, all of you step forward.”

The squad that Mercy Soul led stepped forward. Seven Alicorns valiantly walked up behind Mercy and bowed. From the lowest ranking member of the squad to the highest Princess Celestia awarded the most elite squad in all of Equestria.

She said their names aloud as she replaced their current helmet with a new helmet that no pony had ever seen before. A helmet made for and limited to the only eight Celestial Crusaders in all of history. “Washburn, even though you are lowest in your squad you are still one of the greatest known warriors of all time in Equestria. You are a gifted soldier and musician. Your ears are tuned to the highest of senses and whatever you do not a note is out of place. You use your gifted hearing on, and off, the battlefield.” Celestia’s horn lit up and the helmet on the black coated Alicorn’s head lifted from his head and a new helmet was placed there. The helmet complimented his black coat and shining magenta mane well. The helmet’s color was black, with curving streaks of pearl leading from the muzzle to the top and back of the helmet in symmetry with each side of the helmet. The edges of the helmet were lined with gold.

Princess Celestia moved to the next Alicorn. “Triptych, the most graceful and artful Alicorn I have ever met. Everything you do, even in battle, is a fluid and grace filled movement. Your magic, your flying, and your hoof-to-hoof combat makes being a soldier look like an art, an art divided into three sections.” The princess replaced his helmet as well.

“Memento Mori, you are one of the bravest creatures I have ever met. You have looked death in the eye multiple times and simply gave it a wave. You are truly amazing. However, remember your mortality.” With that bit of advice she removed his helmet as well and replaced it with the helmet of the Celestial Crusaders.

Princess Celestia came to the next Alicorn and looked farther down than she did for the others. This was because the Alicorn she came up to was the smallest, yet one of the most lethal of the soldiers. “Xiphos, you are a horribly lethal soldier and have proven your power of death over the enemy on multiple occasions. With that I proudly honor you as a Celestial Crusader.”

She moved to the next Alicorn.

“And you, Sentinel, nothing gets past you. Your eyes are as keen as any pony’s eyes can be and nothing escapes your perception, nothing gets past you nor slips your sight. I hope that trait of yours will aid the Celestial Crusaders more than I can imagine.” A helmet slipped off the Alicorn’s head and another one slipped on over the soldier’s honed, piercing eyes.

“And the stealthy one of our group here: Shinobi. You know no fear, it seems, as you cross enemy borders and stay there, without a sound or sight, until told other wise. You have gotten underneath the enemies noses and they don’t even do so much as smell you. And with your skills I congratulate you.” The third to last helmet was set down carefully on the pitch black head of the silent Alicorn.

Princess Celestia moved to the second soldier of the squad and looked down at the shining, metallic, gray coat and complimentary mane and tail of the last Alicorn of the squad. “And of course we can’t forget you, Silver Heart. You have stuck by Mercy Soul’s side for as long as I can remember. You came to try for a guard’s position at the same time as Mercy if I’m not mistaken.”

The silver Alicorn nodded his head. “We did.”

Princess Celestia smiled. “Every division you have been placed in Mercy Soul was right there with you. You two are inseparable and the best of friends. You both show unique skill. I know it must have been difficult for Mercy as he was raised in a neighborhood with all Alicorns, but he seemed to have found his way with the help of you. Congratulations, Silver Heart. Your trust and insight is an excellent trait for you to have. You are now the second highest head of our military, only led by your closest friend.” The second in command dropped his head, to bow for the compliments he was given, and his helmet was brought off his head and lowered at his hooves. The new helmet was placed on his head. This helmet was colored silver, instead of black, with streaks of sapphire in place of the pearl streaks, and the edges of the helmet were lined with emerald in place of gold.

Princess Celestia now made her way to Mercy Soul, who was now being recognized as the greatest soldier, and possibly the greatest Unicorn, to have ever lived in Equestria. Mercy Soul could barely contain his excitement and joy for what the princess had said to his squad and what she was about to say to him. Princess Celestia looked down and smiled a large smile at the Stallion.

“And you, Mercy Soul, have out done yourself on many occasions. Your loyalty to the crown and your friends proves you more than you can imagine and your persistence and strength and skills show what kind of Unicorn you really are. You have trained and commanded the best squad of soldiers I have ever seen. I am behind the point of comprehension for what you have done in the past. I applaud you for that.” At those words the crowd of Ponies began to stomp their front hooves on the ground, applauding for the brave and bold Unicorn Stallion. The princess’ horn began to glow as the newly appointed leader had his helmet removed and was placed at his hooves. The very last helmet was brought up and hovered above the Stallion’s head. The midnight blue coat began to stiffen as the soldier got nervous and his dark silver colored tail and mane began to sway with the wind.

The helmet began to lower.

“I, Princess Celestia, give you, Mercy Soul, the command of the squad who, from this point forward, shall be known as the Celestial Crusaders. You are under the direct command of the crown of Equestria and take orders from no pony else. You, Mercy Soul, are my greatest warrior.” Everypony in the crowd and on stage clopped their hooves against the floor even harder and Canterlot roared with the sound of applause loud enough to be heard as an echo in Ponyville. The helmet slowly slid onto the Unicorn Stallion’s head. This helmet was colored a dark blue with ruby streaks and the edges were lined with diamond.

“Now,” Princess Celestia turned towards the crowd. “Time for the festivities!”





“Well!” Silver Heart blurted out towards Mercy as a nice and beautiful Mare walked away from Mercy as the Mare blushed. “Congratulations, Coltanova, that has got to be the 30th Mare to flirt with you since this party began. And you seemed to be flirting back a bit.”

Mercy blushed and kicked the ground with his hoof. “Well, she was fairly nice and she was kind of pretty.”

“’Kind of?’ Ha!” Silver bit his tongue to refrain from saying anything too sarcastic. “She was beautiful.”

“Yeah, well…” Mercy’s voice trailed off as he squinted his eyes and pursed his lips to one side. “There is another Mare, a Unicorn, I have interests in. She’s beautiful, incredibly nice, and good with magic.”

Silver tilted his head. “Who is it? You tell me; I tell you who I’m infatuated with. Sound like a fair trade?”

Mercy Soul chuckled. “Knowing you? Not in the slightest.”

Silver began to laugh when he lurched his head to his left and saw a bright blazing orange mane bouncing towards Mercy Soul. “Oh, look at that. You’ve even drawn the attention of fame. Here comes Spitfire. You have fun with her.” Silver Heart winked at Mercy before turning around and trotting away.

Mercy Soul sighed. He didn’t want to talk to any of these Ponies except his friends, squad members, or the Mare he wanted to talk to the most. He looked towards Spitfire and smiled, not wanting to seem rude, and so his torture continued.





“Look at her! Going after a Stallion who is clearly out of her league!”

“Oh, calm down Rarity. She just wants to talk to him, so that’s what she’s doing.”

“Now Twilight, we all know you want to talk to him too, but you aren’t going to talk to him for a reason that is quite obvious.”

Twilight quickly brought her head down a bit and smirked. “Is it really that obvious?”

Spike, who was laying on Twilight’s back, licked his fingers to get the last bit of emeralds off of his fingers. “Yeah, it is Twilight. You can’t take your eyes off of him and you keep talking about all the wonderful things he’s done and how he saved you when the Manticores surrounded your house at the beginning of the invasion and…”

“All right, Spike, that’s enough.” Twilight said through her grinning teeth with embarrassment.

“What?” Spike questioned as he scanned the table for more gems to snack on, hoping that they weren’t all gone even though he was the only one there who ate gems. “I’m just saying.”

Twilight lifted up her head. “I know you are, Spike. But please keep it to yourself.”

“Oh, Twilight. It’s not like he’s the only one who notices it. We all do.” Rarity said, giving her own input.

“Yeah!” Pinkie Pie chimed in. “We all do! Even Gummy knows!” She looked down at her toothless alligator and smiled as he tried hopelessly to pop a balloon with his jaw.

“Ahh!” Twilight slammed her head against her hoof in frustration. “Okay,” she said after she sighed. “I might have a little crush…”

“A little?” Rainbow Dash joked as she finished munching on a cupcake Pinkie Pie had made for the festivities. “Come on, Twilight. It seems a lot bigger than that. There’s no way it’s just a little one. It’s bigger than the one I have on Soarin’ and I have a huge crush on him and…” Rainbow Dash closed her mouth when she realized what she just said. “Did I…” She mumbled as she dropped her head. “I just said that out loud; didn’t I?” All the ponies around her looked at her quizzically.

“Wow, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy muttered. “Wouldn’t it be great if you and Soarin’ got together and you joined the Wonderbolts because of that?”

Rainbow Dash sighed and frowned. “Don’t get me thinking about all the possibilities that won’t ever happen.”

Fluttershy saddened her eyes and looked down towards the ground, where Angel stood frustrated, trying to develop a plan to steal some carrot cake under Fluttershy’s nose since she wouldn’t let him have any. “I… I’m sorry.” She quietly said, sad she had downed a friend. “I was trying to look towards the bright side and all and…”

“I know, Fluttershy. Just stop talking and maybe no one will get hurt.” Rainbow Dash stated as she stomped away in frustration.

Fluttershy’s eyes began to quiver as sorrow and guilt started to flood her, but she didn’t let that get to her. She pulled it together before anypony could comfort her.

The attention turned back towards Twilight.

“Ya know she was right, Twilight. Ah’m thinkin’ ya got more than just a little crush on that Mercy Soul fella.” Applejack made her way into the conversation after selling the last of her apple pies.

“Gah!” Twilight Sparkle yelled in frustration quietly so it was only a little bit loud to those around her. “Fine! I have a pretty decently sized crush…”

Rarity coughed and Applejack cleared her throat while Spike snored, now asleep on Twilight’s back.

“… A big crush on Mercy Soul. I’ve… I’ve just never seen a Unicorn as talented with magic, as handsome, as heroic, as Mercy.” Twilight blushed red through her lavender coated cheeks.

“It’s alright.” Rarity comforted the embarrassed Unicorn. “We understand. I don’t blame you for it. Every Mare has a crush on him.”

Twilight looked at Rarity. “Do you?”

“Hmm? Oh no, no, no. I have my eye on somepony else. Well, Not a pony exactly…”

“Who, then?” Twilight inquired.

“Oh,” Rarity flipped her hair and looked in the opposite direction. “I can’t tell you. It would ruin many things.”

Rarity looked back at her friend as Twilight raised one eyebrow.

Rarity laughed. “I can’t tell you.”

Pinkie Pie gasped largely. “Twilight! I have an idea!”

Twilight’s facial expression turned flat, worried with what Pinkie’s idea was. “What?”

Pinkie swiveled on her hooves and spoke loudly. “You should go talk to him!”

Twilight looked at her and raised an eyebrow. “And you actually expect me to do that?”

“Of course I do, silly.” Pinkie Pie grinned a wide grin and nodded quickly to Mercy Soul who was now trying to shy away from Spitfire.

Twilight turned her head to peer at him, but didn’t do anything.

“Go on now Twilight. Pinkie here’s right. Ya need to go and talk to ‘im. This may be your only chance.” Applejack edged Twilight.

Twilight sighed in frustration from the pressure. She wasn’t too fond of it. “I really don’t want to. It’s not like a Stallion like Mercy would pay too much attention to a Mare like me.”

“Oh, really Twilight? You have saved Equestria more than once and have made your way into the Glass art on the windows in Canterlot Castle and a ceremony was held for your prestigious acts. I’m sure he has heard of you more than once and would be glad to talk to you.” Rarity said, trying to up lift Twilight.

Twilight looked at Mercy Soul, who was the first Pony she had actually liked and fallen for and who was still trying to get away from Spitfire.

“Plus,” Applejack muttered softly, “It looks like he needs a good excuse to get away from the flyin’ fireball.”

Twilight ran a play through of the hundreds of possible outcomes for talking to Mercy Soul in her head and reached a conclusion. “Fine,” she started towards Mercy with dropped shoulders. “I’ll do it.”

“That a girl!” Applejack cheered as Twilight marched to a possible demise and Pinkie preformed a minor dance. “Shoulders up!”

As Twilight trotted towards Mercy Soul, Spike shifted positions in his sleep and rolled off of Twilight’s back, hitting the ground with a thud but still not awaking from his slumber.

Twilight got within hearing distance of Spitfire and Mercy. “So, that’s when Soarin’ launched himself left when everypony else rolled to the right. He crashed into me and we tumbled towards the ground. Now, even though it WAS just practice, other ponies still…”

Mercy Soul quickly looked in the direction of Twilight Sparkle and his heart skipped a beat as it jumped. “Okay, that’s wonderful.” He muttered to Spitfire as he walked past her, gently brushing his shoulder against hers.

Mercy Soul walked up to Twilight, both Ponies looking into each others eyes. “Well, if it isn’t the famous Twilight Sparkle: Equestrian savior and owner of the Element of Magic.” Mercy said smoothly.

Twilight’s heart turned to a puddle, but she quickly gained back her composure. “Yeah, well you’re a pretty big hot shot yourself, Mister, umm… Hot Shot…”

Mercy Soul chuckled a bit while Twilight stabbed her own mind for that name. How could you be so stupid to think of something like that? Just call him Mercy Soul! She thought to herself.

“’Mister Hot Shot’, can’t say I’ve ever been called that before.” Mercy Soul replied with a charming smile.

“Yeah,” Twilight looked at the ground and kicked up some dirt with her hoof. “Well…”

She started to attempt to redeem herself when a Royal Guard Pegasus landed next to Mercy with a thud.

“Mercy Soul!” The Pegasus said sternly in a commanding voice. “Princess Celestia and Princess Luna want you and the Celestial Crusaders and the Ponies that hold the Elements to meet her at Dragon Mountain.”

Mercy Soul tilted his head. “Why is that?”

The guard glanced about the festivities of the banquet he had the misfortune of missing. “We have spotted something drifting towards Equestria. Several things, actually.”

At those words Mercy Soul stood up right and called for his squad, “Celestial Crusaders, eyes; ears!”

The group of newly appointed super soldiers quickly whipped their head to their commander. “Snap! Open!” They shouted.

“Follow me!” Mercy Soul commanded. And with that he and his Alicorns took off to Dragon Mountain, leaving Twilight behind in the dust.

Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie joined Twilight Sparkle.

“Well, let’s go!” Rainbow Dash chanted.

Applejack looked at the lavender Mare’s face. “It didn’t go so well?”

Twilight trudged past her friends with a slumped posture and picked up Spike.

“Ah’m thinkin’ that’s a yes.”





At the highest point of Dragon Mountain that a Pony could stand stood two princesses, a squad of the most powerful soldiers, and six Ponies who bring Harmony. They stood watching several large purple structures drifting towards their planet of Equestria.

Mercy Soul stood next to Princess Celestia and asked a question that was on everypony’s mind. “What are they?”

Princess Celestia shook her head. “I have no idea. I’ve never seen them before.” She turned her head to her sister. “Luna?”

The midnight colored Mare shook her head as well. “Nor have I, sister.”

The structures had several bulbous sections on it and a hook-like prow. They loomed against the sunset like killer whales and got larger every moment as they grew closer.

Silver Heart, who was standing next to Luna, turned around with a small gut feeling he had and looked into the sky. “What in Equestria?” He muttered.

Everypony turned around as well and followed his gaze.

“Whoa!” Pinkie Pie shouted. “More of them? No, that’s not more of them. They’re different. Very different.”

Everypony stared in awe as in front of them approached large, silver, metallic, box-like structures floating to their planet in the distance, and at a closer distance approached purple, whale-like structures from behind.

Princess Celestia looked at Luna and Luna returned her gaze and nodded, closed her eyes, lit her horn up, and disappeared in a poof of magic. Celestia turned towards the Celestial Crusaders and the holders of the Elements. “Warn everypony you can about this, get them prepared for any possible outcome of what might happen. Mercy Soul, you and Silver Heart gather all the guards and soldiers you can and meet me in Equestrian Fields. This may be something we’ve never seen before here in Equestria.”

“What?” Twilight inquired.

Celestia closed her eyes and sighed. “War.” At that word Celestia’s horn lit up and she too disappeared in a ball of magic, leaving the fourteen Ponies to gather their thoughts in the dusk of a day of Equestria, surrounded by mystery.