• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 1,058 Views, 49 Comments

Seeking A Quiet Afternoon - Tired Old Man



Able Mender came to Ponyville seeking a day of peace and quiet. What he got instead was a pet changeling, a babysitting job watching over the CMC, and a prophecy claiming Equestria is doomed if he doesn't participate. So much for a quiet afterno

  • ...
2
 49
 1,058

Ch. 1-23: Negotiations and Demands

Mender could feel a warm glow encasing his body as he was slowly lifted from the air. The warmth turned into searing heat for brief moments as the wounds on his body from the beating began to heal at a rapid rate, far outpacing his healing methods by all standards. It hurt like he was being scorched with fires from Tartarus, but when the pain receded, he felt nothing wrong with him.

Mender touched the ground when the healing was finished and looked himself over. Not a single scratch was on his body, although his horn was still cracked. He finally turned around to see Celestia and Luna standing in the doorway, with concerned looks on their faces.

Mender became concerned as well. "Uh...you two didn't heal me, did you?"

Celestia shook her head. "No, Mender. We were going to, but somepony got to you first."

Mender was confused. "Wha-...but, but who?"

"Yoohoo!"

"Wait, that was YOU?"

"I learned a lot of things beyond this door, Mender. Even advanced healing magic. I've got a short range from my door beyond which I can cast magic, with the exception of teleportation spells, of course."

Mender had to hide a look of anger from the Princesses in front of him.

"...and you decided to bring this up NOW, instead of during the fight?!"

"Two things. One, in case you didn't notice, that healing magic leaves you suspended in the air while your wounds are healed. Not exactly ideal to use in the middle of a fight. Second...it sounded like you had things under control."

The Princesses still stood and watched Mender in silent contemplation. Their perceiving eyes noted that he kept glancing up toward his horn in thought.

Mender noticed, and wore a sheepish grin. "Well, I'm fixed up due to some generous pony's deeds, and my adversary is disabled. A happy day for all, with no mysteries left to solve!"

Celestia's gaze hardened. "Aren't you the least bit concerned as to who healed you, Mender?!"

"Frankly, I'm more concerned for Cuts McShank on the floor over there." Mender went and lifted Point's limp body onto his back, startling the Princesses.

Luna spoke first. "Mender, what are you doing?"

"What's it look like I'm doing? This idiot's hurt, and needs medical attention. Both of his wings are broken and my elbow to his neck didn't do him any favors."

Celestia was outraged now. "Mender, he tried to KILL you!"

At this point Mender was getting annoyed. "Yep, and right now I'm trying to save him. I'm sure you two have plenty of questions for him, but he's in no state to answer them. He needs treatment in a proper facility, and that's not here in my house. It's at Ponyville Medical. Unless you two have any further questions, I need to get moving."

Both Princesses did not budge as Mender approached the door. Celestia spoke again, less in an angry tone and more one of concern.

"Mender...why are you saving him then?"

His answer was firm. "It's the duty of a medic to save lives, Princess. Nothing more, nothing less."

Both were stunned. They had not met a pony with such resolve to commit to their duty since Shining Armor. It warmed their cold hearts to see such dedication, and an idea struck Celestia.

"In that case, Mender, we can heal him here."

"Yeah, no. I don't want this house to get more wrecked than it is right now, thank you."

"Then I will restrain him while he is healed," Luna added.

"I see two problems with that. First, I'd rather not turn my home into a personal clinic for dangerous ponies with the intent to kill. This place has a bad enough reputation as is looking like a haunted house right now. Second, I would feel MUCH more comfortable if I put him in a place where I know he won't kill me or anypony else, which is a hospital. I'm sure you two remember I mentioned this, correct? I won't deny that you two healing him is a good idea to get him up and moving, but I'd rather it take place there instead of here."

The Princesses thought for a moment and nodded in agreement with his plan. They finally yielded and let Mender through, but they followed close behind the medic and his would-be killer as the group traveled to Ponyville Medical.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The look on Redheart's face was a mixture of relief and disbelief as Mender walked in through the front doors carrying an injured pony on his back, the two Princesses following closely behind.

"Mender, what happened?" She asked.

"Oh, nothing. This pony just tried to kill me, is all."

Her look of shock had him chuckle a bit. "Don't worry, Nurse Redheart. This pony's been after my heart for years...though that's more in the terms of wanting to stab a knife through it as opposed to-"

"Enough, Mender. We have work to do," Celestia sternly reminded.

"Yeah yeah, Tia, I know," Mender said as he cast a glance back toward the slightly irritated Princess. "Nurse, prepare a stretcher with some heavy-duty restraints. When he wakes up, he'll be fidgety, and not in a nice way."

Redheart's look of shock finally faded as she ran into the hallway to get the stretcher Mender requested. They waited just a few moments before she tore around the corner with a stretcher that had three thick leather straps across the middle.

Mender set Point down onto the stretcher on his side carefully so his wings wouldn't further be bent out of shape. He secured two of the straps to his chest, saving the last for when the wings were healed so the third strap would bind them as well.

He then wheeled Point into a nearby empty operating room, with enough space to hold him, Point, the Princesses, and Redheart on standby as she prepared a sedative in case the patient would get too unruly. Mender smiled at this, he didn't need to ask her to do that. He was going to, but was rather surprised at her preparation as if she had done this before.

He didn't bother to think further on it, however. Point needed help, and it was time he received it.

"Alright, Princesses. The patient is ready. Go ahead and do your thing."

A part of Mender hated that he wasn't working on Point himself, but he reminded himself that Point would probably just hate him further if he did.

Both Princesses stood near the assassin's unconscious body, their horns glowing yellow and dark blue as they prepared the same healing spell Mender had received from Young. Due to the straps, Point couldn't levitate like he did, but the wounds he received reversed upon his body, starting with the wings. As soon as both wings were restored, Mender hopped in and wrapped the strap tightly around them, securing them to Point's body. He then backed off to let Luna and Celestia finish the healing spell.

It took mere seconds before it was finished. Point's breathing became stable, and he was now peacefully resting. The Princesses' horns stopped glowing as they completed the spell at last.

"Is he healed?" Mender asked. Both Princesses nodded.

"Alright, time to wake him up." Mender dropped a hoof onto Point's head, waking him up immediately.

"OW! What the-YOU!" Point began to struggle, but Mender had tied the leather straps down hard. Point wasn't going anywhere.

"Easy there, Knife Point. You're in a hospital AND in the presence of some very powerful royalty...and a nice nurse with a sedative in hoof." Mender had gestured to Luna, Celestia, and Nurse Redheart as he spoke, Point's gaze following his hoof.

Point calmed down as soon as he saw the sedative. He recognized the color, for he had used that sedative a few times before for some of his assignments. That stuff could knock out a full-grown dragon in minutes.

"Hmph. Thought all of this out, did you? Even that little snake thing of yours?" Point barked, remembering the thing that had bit him just moments before.

"It's not a snake, for one. It's a changeling." Point's eyes widened at that word, and Mender grinned. "Yep, I'm quite the animal tamer. Second, I did think most of this out, but it was the Princesses' idea to have you healed in a speedy manner so as for us to have this nice conversation."

"How thoughtful. Thank you very little, Princesses," Point spat.

Both Princesses gave Point a hard glare, and he simply glared back. "Oh, don't think I fear you two for a moment. I've killed an alicorn, you know. Very difficult, though not impossible." An evil smile crept across Point's face.

"And yet now you are at our mercy, assassin," Celestia harshly reminded him.

"We could end thee in an instant, foal!" Luna added in her Royal tone.

This did nothing to break Point. "But you won't do so. You have questions. Questions that you think I have the answers to. Answers that I may or may not have. However, I most certainly won't be sharing such answers with you!"

Both Princesses bared their teeth, but Mender stepped in front of both and asked Point an odd question. "Say, remember how you and I first met?"

This caught everypony off guard as they all stared at Mender, wondering what he was doing. Point was shaken the most, however. "O-Of course I do! Why in the world are you bringing this up now?!"

"Do you remember how much I humiliated you that day? I wonder if that powerful little ego of yours will stand up as strong if I told them about your...ahem, 'mishaps' during your first attempt to kill me."

"You...you wouldn't dare!" Point was visibly shaken, his wingtips quivering slightly despite the straps holding his wings down.

Celestia and Luna looked to Mender with amused looks on their faces.

"Oh, do tell, Mender. What has this assassin done that's gotten him so ruffled in his feathers?" Celestia asked.

"Indeed, we are quite curious," Luna added.

"Well, if I remember right, it was-"

"STOP! I...I'll..."

"You'll what, Point?" Mender asked, holding a wicked grin.

"...a deal. I will answer...three questions, but no more."

"Five," Mender said.

"Three," Point retorted.

"Five!"

"Three!"

"FIVE!"

"THREE!"

"THREE!" Mender yelled.

"FIVE!" Point responded.

"DEAL!"

"FINE, FIVE IT I-...dammit!" Point screamed in frustration.

Mender merely grinned. Both Princesses chuckled, and Redheart, who was silent during this whole exchange, had to hold a hoof to her mouth to hide her smile.

"Did you seriously just do that?"

"Sometimes it's the silliest things that are the most effective at getting a task completed."

Over in Sugar Cube Corner, Pinkie Pie smiled wider than usual at that instant, and for some inexplicable reason she knew why.

"So, five questions then. I've done my part, Princesses. Fire away," Mender said, Point grimacing at how easily he was tricked.

Celestia began with her first question. "Are you a member of the Luminus?"

Everypony was confused but Point, who wore a small grin at the question. "Indeed I am, Princess Celestia. There goes your first question."

Celestia took a step back. She did not expect Point to be so brazen with his answer.

Mender spoke up afterward. "Luminus?"

Before Point could speak up and try to get the second question done, Celestia spoke first. "It's a group that's been after my throne for a little over three centuries now. This is not the time to discuss this, so I'll explain it later."

"Four and a half centuries," Point corrected.

Mender huffed. "I didn't ask that question to you, Point."

"No, but I do hate when ponies have the wrong details. That was a freebie. Next question, please."

Luna stepped forward next. "Why have you been after Mender's life for over a year now?"

"In addition to the incident Mender mentioned earlier, I was hired by somepony to kill him. That's all I have to say until you ask me to clarify, and that is another question," Point smirked.

Luna scowled, but stepped back.

Mender stepped forward and asked an odd question. "What is your favorite color?"

Point blinked at Mender for a moment, unsure if that question was serious. He answered anyway. "Crimson."

Both Princesses glared daggers at Mender. He meekly responded, "What? I think it's better than what Lu asked."

"Silence, Mendy," Luna quipped.

Mender took a step back, his eyes shrinking in an instant. "Where did you learn that name?"

"Pinkie came by on a candy helicopter and told us about it."

Mender rolled his eyes. Of course it was Pinkie. Damn, now he'd have to be careful about using their short names mockingly. He still hated being called Mendy.

Celestia grinned, but stepped forward to ask the fourth question. "Do you intend to harm Mender now, even though he has saved your life?"

"He did what?" Point was genuinely shocked.

Mender was shocked too, until he saw a glint in Celestia's eye. He then knew what she was trying to do for him.

"Yep, you tried to kill me, and I saved your sorry flank. Problem?"

"There's a BIG problem. Why in Equestria did you save me?!"

"It's what medics always do, Point. I thought you knew that by now."

"Well, sure, but..." Point was very uncertain as to how to proceed. Mender saved him? He had all the difficulty in the world trying to process this fact.

Celestia was unfazed. "You have yet to answer my question, Point."

Point looked to be having an internal conflict with himself. A medic who he had tried to kill just under sixty times had saved him for no discernible reason behind him just doing his job. What was his angle?

Point then did something that shocked everypony in the room.

"I...will not kill him for some time. Not until I figure out the REAL reason why he has saved me. I don't buy his hogwash for a minute, so as soon as I learn the truth, he's dead."

"Oh goodie, that means I get to troll you mercilessly with a list of bullcrap reasons why I saved you without ever telling you the real reason. You just locked yourself into a bad situation there, Point." Mender grinned widely at this revelation. Point simply scowled.

"Laugh all you like, Mender, but I WILL learn the reason why. Now then, the last question. Most of your questions have been a waste of time with simple answers and such, so make this a good one."

Mender stepped forward, the smile vanishing from his face as he asked a final question.

"Who hired you to kill me?"

Point cursed himself for his last words. This question he couldn't answer as easily.

"I...don't know. An unknown benefactor managed to send a letter to our group, containing a large sum of bits and a single name on it that they wanted eliminated. Yours. The Luminus had sent me to kill you, as we don't refuse contracts with enough money behind them. Clearly we all know how well that went."

"Has this benefactor contacted you after any of your attempts on my life?" Mender asked, his expressionless face betraying the concern that more assassins may now be after his life besides this one.

"Ah-ah-ah. That question I refuse to answer. You used them all up, foalish pony!" Point grinned.

Both Princesses then glared at Mender, remembering his question about the color Point liked. He shrugged in response to their glares.

"Welp, Q&A's over then. Enjoy your rest, Point. I imagine you'll need to stay and get used to your wings again."

Point scowled. "Just you wait, Mender! Once I'm out of these straps, I'll beat you to within an inch of your life until I learn why you saved me!"

"But you won't kill me, and that's enough to make me happy for a month," Mender smiled.

Point began to thrash against his bindings, but Nurse Redheart came in to inject the sedative before he could harm himself. The slack-jawed face Point made as soon as the sedative hit earned a fit of giggles from everypony except Mender, who laughed at the scene.

"Right, he'll be out for a few hours. Get him a room, Nurse. I think the Princesses and I have a few final things to discuss."

Redheart nodded, and wheeled the sedated Point out of the room. As soon as she did, the mood of the room turned serious.

Celestia spoke first. "Now that this assassin's been dealt with, I have a question for you, Mender. You shrugged it off back at your home, but now I must ask. You know who or what healed you, correct?"

"...I do, and I understand your concerns regarding it. Rest assured, what healed me is no more a threat to this town than my reformed pet changeling. I cannot reveal any further details at this time."

"Even if I ordered you to tell us?" Celestia bluntly asked, her eyes narrowed.

"He will not."

Mender's eyes glowed a bright white, and the black band around his horn vibrating violently. A voice that was not his own resonated throughout the room, with the presence and delivery befitting a hundred kings. This startled both princesses immediately, their coats bristling at the sound of the voice.

The magic radiating off of his body was thick, pulsing with power that the Princesses had not felt since the time of Discord's reign. It was choking and congestive, and both of them had to use most of their inert magic to even stand in the presence of such magical outbursts.

"Princesses, thou shalt cease this line of questioning at once."

"Who art thou?" Luna boomed, trying to match the overbearing tone with her own. She failed miserably.

"Irrelevant. Instead, I give thee warning to thine future endeavors."

Celestia was shaking, but stood her ground. "What...what warning do you have for us?"

The unknown voice laughed and coughed, then began to speak in a sing-song tune.

"Three threats of past encounters shall rise again in rebellion.
For each of these, I request of thee, to include this stallion.
The first is a queen scorned, her desire to steal love from thee.
The second, draconnequs reborn, chaos his mastery.
The third is I, the last test, beyond the door of mystery.
Conquer them all, and this stallion shall ascend to victory.
If you do not, your kingdom and its loyal subjects shall fall.
Ponykind will no longer exist, and darkness will rule all."

As soon as the rhyme had finished, Mender collapsed and fell unconscious on the cold floor of the operating room. Both Princesses merely stood there, processing what just happened before them in silence.

Author's Note:

Hiya folks! Old Man here.

Ugh, hate using that voice. Always puts a ton of strain on me throat.

Right, I thought it was about time for a direct intervention. Mender has adjusted to this town long enough to become aware of most of its denizens, so I thought it optimal to start putting him through the trials I have planned for him while he's here.

Also, the princesses are becoming...meddlesome now. So I gave them a little ditty to distract them from that door Mender's hiding in his basement. He's got a long way to go yet before meeting me.

Heh, and here I was proclaiming I would speak with him shortly. I forgot time is relatively useless where I am.

(Also, this is the end of the first chapter. A brief intermission will take place where I'll wrap up any loose ends that need wrappin, in addition to answering any lingering questions that may be gnawing away at your heads right now.)