• Published 28th Nov 2013
  • 5,608 Views, 200 Comments

Her Shining Paladin - Bluecatcinema



For years, Celestia has had the love of her subjects. But there is a different kind of love, one that she has never felt...

  • ...
16
 200
 5,608

Heart By Heart

It had been three months since Shine had crash landed in the castle's gardens. Three months since Shine had come to meet Celestia and Luna and tried to seek their aid in helping get his cutie mark, which had eluded him for nearly twenty-five years. While he still had yet to get his cutie mark, he had not come up empty-hoofed.

For three months had Shine lived in the castle, during which he had done many things: met royalty, both good and... well, not so good, befriended a phoenix, found friendship with a Royal Guard (who had since left for the Crystal Empire), learned about the Elements of Harmony (and their bearers). But the best moments of his stay here was in the company of none other than Celestia herself.

Right now, Shine was lying in the infirmary, as the doctor (the same one who cared for him when he first arrived) did a check up on him... or namely, his wings. As soon as the doctor finished, he began unwrapping the bandages on Shine's wings.

"Well, Mr. Paladin, your wings seem to had made excellent recovery. It is safe to say that you will be flying again in a day or two." The doctor smiled.

"That is great news." Shine smirked, as he began flexing his wings, "I swear, I almost began to feel like I was born an Earth Pony."

"I'll bet, lad. Soon, you will be ready to be make your way back home to Dodge Junction!" The doctor chuckled.

However, as soon as the mention of home reached Shine's ears, his smile disappeared. With all that had happened in the three months, Shine had completely forgotten what it was that was keeping him here was his sprained wings. With his wings healed and confirmation that the princesses couldn't help him with his cutie mark problem, he would have no legitimate reason to stay here... with Celestia.

Within days, things would be back to normal. He would be back home, bucking cherries at Cherry Hill Ranch, while she would remain here, ruling Equestria with her sister... and deep down, it gave him an empty feeling knowing that.

After bidding adieu and gratitude to the doctor, Shine made his way through the halls, not necessarily going anywhere, as he tried to process what it was that he was feeling.

Once again, Shine bumped into another pony.

"Oh, sorry..."

"Shine?"

Shine quickly glanced at the pony in front of him and realized it was Luna, now sporting a concerned look.

"Princess Luna. Sorry, I guess I wasn't looking where I was going." Shine apologized.

"It is fine, Shine." Luna shrugged off, "But I am more concerned about you. What seems to ail you? Did things not go well with the doctor?"

"Oh no. Things went real well. In fact..." Shine spread his wings, "I'll be flying again in no time."

"That is wonderful." Luna agreed.

"Yes, wonderful..." Shine repeated sadly.

"What's wrong?" Luna asked. "Aren't you happy to be able to fly back to your home in Dodge Junction?"

"Yes I am... but..." Shine sighed deeply, "I don't know. It's just that I've grown to like it here, what with the gardens, you guys, Celestia..."

"Celestia?" Luna repeated with a raised brow.

Shine put his hooves to his mouth realizing what he just said.

"Did I say Celestia?" He gulped. "I meant to say-"

"Oh, I heard you right, Mr. Paladin." Luna smirked coyly, "And if I didn't know any better, I think that you are smitten with my dear older sister."

The pegasus froze as he tried to about to deny it, but unfortunately, lying was never his strong suit (not that he would want it to be) and by the way Luna was looking at him, there was no denying it.

Shine drooped, "Was it that obvious?"

"Yes and no." Luna answered, "My husband and daughter are well aware of it. Blueblood and the others are still trying to comprehend your relationship. As for me, I had a feeling from the moment I met you."

"You did?" Shine gasped.

Luna nodded, "I saw how awestruck you were by my sister when we first met. I may not have the power of love like my niece Cadance, but the way you looked at my sister... I knew it wasn't just enthrallment." Shine blushed, "But I had to be sure, so I kept a close eye on you two for the last three months... and now, looking at you... I know without a doubt that you are in lov-"

"Do you have to say it?" Shine interrupted, his cheeks glowing more red than before.

"Is it not true though?" Luna challenged.

"Even if it wasn't, it doesn't matter." Shine muttered, "Once I can fly, I'll be heading home and things will be back to normal... and Celestia will probably forget about me within a week."

"Aren't you even going to try?" Luna asked, "I mean, if you feel this way about my sister, why not tell her?"

"Why bother?" The pegasus sighed, "She's a princess, and I'm just a farm pony..."

"That shouldn't matter." Luna stated firmly, "Gothic was nothing more than a commoner just like you...yet he was not afraid to confess his love to me."

"Let me rephrase that." Shine bitterly remarked, "Just a farm pony... without a cutie mark."

"Shine, I know my sister." Luna declared. "She would not care whether you are rich or poor, nor whether you are with or without a cutie mark. What should matter is what comes from here..." Luna placed a hoof against Shine's chest.

"My locket?" Shine asked as he held up his locket.

"No, silly, your heart." Luna smirked. "Like Cadance always says, you need to listen to your heart, not your head."

Shine glanced down at it, gazing uncertainly.

"I don't know..." He sighed. "I wouldn't even know what to do."

"It does not have to be complicated." Luna sagely remarked, "Treat her to a candle-lit dinner, put on a musical performance, take a stroll in the gardens."

"You think she'd like that?" Shine questioned.

"I'm her sister. I know what makes her tick." Luna winked.

Shine mulled it over for a bit, as he then smirked at Luna. "You're right, Luna. Thank you." With that, Shine went off in the opposite direction and turn left at the next turn.

"Celestia's room is the other way." Luna called after him.

Shine double-backed and went right, giving another nod in gratitude to Luna.

As soon as the pegasus was gone, Luna gave a satisfied sigh. "Okay, you two, you can come out now."

Emerging from the shadows came Gothic and Constell.

"Wow, I must say, dear, you gave quite a pep talk." Gothic smirked as he wrapped a hoof around her neck.

"Did you think he is going to confess?" Constell asked.

"I can't say for sure," Luna admitted as she looked off where Shine had went, "But I have a good feeling."

In Celestia's quarters, she was absentmindedly doodling on a piece of parchment, as her mind wandered to Shine.

For the past month, he was almost all that she could think about. The thought of him had plagued her mind every waking moment and in her dreams (she was glad that Luna respected her privacy enough to not go gallivanting in her dreams), giving her that warm smile with those azure eyes. On a more embarrassing note, she could not get the image of Shine showing off his near-perfect physique through exercise (something that had become a rare occurrence, due to Iron's departure to the Crystal Empire) out of her head.

As she looked at the parchment, she nearly gasped. On the paper was a heart with the initials "S.P. + C."

Celestia groaned. Now she making lovey dovey doodles that school fillies draw when they have a crush on a special colt... these feelings were becoming more and more apparent by the second.

There was a knock at her door, and in a haste, Celestia crumpled the doodle with her magic and threw it into the fireplace.

"Who is it?" Celestia asked, trying to steady her fast beating heart.

"It's me, Princess." Shine answered from outside the doors. "May I come in?"

"Uh, sure. Come in." Celestia replied, hiding her flushed cheeks.

Shine entered the room, although as he did so, he seemed a bit fidgety.

"What brings you here, Shine? Did everything go well with the doctor?" Celestia asked.

"Oh, yes. The doctor said that I will be flying again within the week." Shine answered, forcing a smile.

"That's wonderful." Celestia smiled, before a surprisingly sad thought occurred to her, "Does this mean you'll be returning home soon?"

"Yes." Shine winced "I'll be back bucking cherries before anypony knows it."

"That's good to hear." Celestia said...although her thoughts betrayed her words.

The two stood there in silence, only for it to be broken when Shine had finally summoned up the courage to do what he set out to do.

"Say, Celestia?" Shine asked.

"Yes, Shine?" Celestia asked.

"I was wondering if you would... if you're not so busy with your royal duties and all... like to go on a d-" Shine immediately stuttered as he realized what he was about to say, "To dinner... with me?"

"Dinner?" Celestia repeated, looking at Shine oddly.

"Uh, yes..." Shine nodded, as he felt himself growing hotter by the second. "Just a small dinner in the gardens, just the two of us... again, if you're interested." However, in his nervousness, he began to stammer, "But if you can't, I completely under-"

"No, no, Shine..." Celestia soothed the pegasi, giving him that smile he had grown to love so much, "I would love to join you for dinner."

"Really?" Shine gasped.

"Really." Celestia confirmed,

"Oh, okay." Shine nodded, albeit a bit nervously, as he turns to leave, "So... shall I drop by tonight at sunset?"

"Of course." Celestia smiled, "I'll see you there."

Shine gave his own smile as he left Celestia's room. As soon as he was a good distance from the room, he then let out all his hidden joy.

"She said yes! YEE-HAW!" Shine cheered, doing a little hoe-down on the way to his room, silently whispering "yes" to himself. Blueblood happen to pass by as he saw the dancing Pegasi.

"Why couldn't have Celestia coddled Discord? At least that creature has class." Blueblood shook his head as he went off in another direction.

After making her sun set, Celestia set off into the gardens. As she rounded a corner, she gasped at the sight before her; Shine had set up a small table with seats for two, a meal hidden under a serving dome, and had borrowed some lanterns to light the occasion.

"So, what do you think?" He asked nervously.

"Oh my… this is wonderful!" Celestia beamed. "You didn't haven't to be so elaborate, you know."

"But I wanted to." Shine smiled. "Please, take a seat."

Celestia sat down, Shine taking his place opposite her.

"So, what are we having?" Celestia asked.

Shine lifted up the dome, revealing a large cherry cake.

"I seem to recall you liked my last one very much." He smirked.

"Indeed, I did." Celestia chuckled.

The two set about eating the cake.

"As delicious as the last one." Celestia smiled. "But you really shouldn't have."

"It was the least I can do." Shine countered, "I mean, you guys have been nothing but good to me for the last three months. Especially you, Celestia."

"You're too kind, Shine." Celestia smiled, "I must say, you've made the last couple of months here most interesting."

"Now who's the one being too kind?" Shine joked.

"I mean it." Celestia nodded, as she gave a small smile, "I'll miss you…"

Shine quickly looked at Celestia, wondering if he heard that right. Celestia soon realized what she had said.

"I mean, we'll all miss you." Celestia corrected, blushing a bit. "Me, Luna, Gothic, Constell…"

"Say no more." Shine chuckled, although a part of him felt disappointed when she corrected herself.

As soon as they had finished the cake, Celestia noticed a group of musicians gathering atop the nearby stage.

"What is all this?" Celestia asked.

"Oh, I had asked the musicians to play us a little music. I hope you don't mind." Shine explained.

"Not at all." Celestia smirked.

Soon, one of the musicians began to play the piano, as soft and tranquil music began to emanate through the gardens.

"Care for a little stroll?" Shine asked, gesturing down the paved pathways through the gardens. "I hear that the gardens are beautiful this time of night."

"Sounds lovely." The Alicorn nodded, quite amused by all that Shine was doing for her.

And so, the two ponies walked through the beautiful gardens, enjoying the moonlight that the moon Luna raised had given them. Both Pegasi and Alicorn passed the time telling stories from their past. One of them happened to be the story of one of their Galas from twenty years back.

"Really? I never thought that the Element of Kindness could be that…assertive." Shine shuddered.

"Trust me, it caught all the ponies at the Gala by surprise when the animals stormed into the ballroom." Celestia said, giving a laugh.

Shine's heart fluttered. Celestia's laugh had to be one of the most beautiful sounds he had ever heard, a sound he would never get sick of. Unfortunately, the fact that this could be the last time he would ever hear such sounds made his heart ache.

Finally, the two ponies made their way to the terrace that overlooked the entirety of the gardens. The moon was at it's highest, making the gardens almost light up like the ones found in Las Pegasus.

"Wow... what a view." Shine whispered, leaning against the banisters of the terrace.

"Yes. My sister did a spectacular job with the night as always." Celestia smiled.

"I'll tell ya, I'll sure miss this place." Shine said with a heavy sigh. "Being here, with you, and all the others... it's reminded me of what it's like to have a real family."

"What do you mean?" Celestia asked, noticing the sadness in Shine's eyes.

Shine pawed at his locket. He couldn't leave without telling Celestia the truth.

"Well..." He sighed. "Both my ma and pa perished in a very bad storm when I was a young colt."

"Oh my, I'm so sorry." Celestia gasped.

"Don't be… it happened so long ago." Shine shrugged off, but his expression seem to take on a somber disposition. "Big Red took me and my little sister in and raised us like his own."

"Sister? You had never told me that you had a sister." Celestia asked.

"I guess it never came up." Shine stated. "Mist is her name. A real sweet filly. The greatest sister a brother could ask for. She was only a foal when mom and dad died, so she doesn't really them. But I do."

Shine held up his locket and opened it up, revealing a picture of a stallion and mare. The stallion had Shine's coat with a silver well-combed mane and was a Pegasi, while the mare had his mane and a light blue coat, and was an Earth Pony.

"They gave me this locket on my birthday, just weeks before they... y'know." Shine explained. "This is the only thing that I have left to remind me of them."

"I know how you feel." Celestia sighed. "Luna and I lost our parents also. It was so long ago, but we've never forgotten them..."

"Who'd have thought a princess and a farmer would have so much in common?" Shine smiled.

The two both let out a small laugh…but it was short-lived, as both ponies stood in uncomfortable silence. In that moment, the two had realized how close they now were…but alas, neither of them had found the courage to say what needed to be said.

Breaking the silence, Celestia began, trying to refrain from blushing. At the same instance, still in the garden, a member of the band began to sing a beautiful melody…

When your soul finds the soul it was waiting for…

"Shine... I just want to say how glad I am to have met you." Celestia declared, catching Shine's attention immediately. "These past few months had been nothing less than wonderful. Mostly because you were there. To be honest, I've never enjoyed somepony else's company as much as I did yours…"

When somepony walks into your heart like an open door…

"Again, you're too kind, Princess." Shine blushed, trying to be modest. However, the words the alicorn said seem to have emboldened him in spirit. "But... I would be lying if I said I didn't feel the same way."

Now Celestia's attention was caught, as Shine pushed onwards.

"The thing is... the time I've spent with you has been the happiest time of my life." Shine confessed. "I haven't felt this happy since before my parents passed away…"

When your hoof finds the hoof…it was meant to hold…don't let go…

Shine then glanced at Celestia, and the Alicorn glanced back, their eyes meeting.

Somepony comes into your world…

The feelings that the two had tried so hard to keep in check had begun to resurface, much stronger than they had been ever before. Tensions began to grow, so much in fact that both ponies could feel their hearts beating in their chests, their cheeks flaring, their throats drying, and their knees growing weak.

Shine and Celestia had once asked what this feeling they had been feeling two months back... and in that moment, it seemed like they had finally found their answer. With tensions this high, something had to break...

Suddenly your world has changed forever!

Suddenly, it began to rain. Somehow, during their talk, they had failed to notice the clouds brewing overhead, and within seconds, it became a downpour. But that did not matter.

Shine placed his hooves against Celestia's cheeks and pressed his lips against hers.

No, there's nopony else's eyes can see right into me…

Celestia's eyes widened with shock, but she didn't pull away. Instantaneously, Celestia's eyes closed as she returned the kiss, wrapping her hooves around Shine's neck.

Nopony else's hooves could lift me up so high…

Shine and Celestia were lost in their own world, wrapped tightly in each other's embraces. The moment in itself was so raw, so powerful… the rain that continued to douse them could not break such a beautiful moment…

Your love lifts me out of time…and you know my heart by heart…

The moment itself was so great, it seemed unfair that it had to end. Unbeknownst to Shine, a flash of light began to flicker on his flank... but a second after it did, Shine then broke out of the kiss, the light immediately dying out as he did, as a look of horror appeared on his face, much to Celestia's confusion.

"I'm…I'm sorry." He mumbled.

"Shine, I..." Celestia stuttered.

"I'm sorry…I…I have to go now." Shine said softly, becoming fidgety.

Instantly, he quickly ran off into the castle, leaving the princess in the rain, soaked and confused.

"Shine..." Celestia whispered.

And you know my heart by heart...