• Published 25th Nov 2013
  • 1,550 Views, 100 Comments

A Debt to the Stars - Sereg



The stars that broke out Nightmare Moon are back. And they are angry.

  • ...
9
 100
 1,550

Event Horizon

Chapter 3: Event Horizon

The four friends slowly raised their eyes from the ash-covered cave floor. The only light came from the glowing alicorn stallion glaring down at them. The stench of sulphur still poured in from the cracks on the floor.

What do you desire!?” demanded Morning Star.

Outside the chamber, Pluto’s leg twitched twice. Then she shifted a wing and slowly uncurled before her eyes fluttered open. She saw that Cerberus was still encased in ice. She bit her lip and her muscles tensed. A glint from the corner of her eye caused her to turn towards the entrance chamber to Tartarus that was still glowing despite the ash and smoke. Her eyes widened in horror and her stomach lurched as she looked to the four kneeling figures before a pony with a face she had had to memorise as part of her duties. A brilliant white alicorn stallion with liquid sunlight for a mane glowed in front of them. Pluto gasped and her legs scrambled uselessly against the ground as her eyes threatened to pop out. She shuffled towards the dog-containing iceberg, there was a flash and both she and Cerberus disappeared.

Morning Star turned towards the flash and scanned the ashen plains. “The godling escaped,” he said in a bored voice. “She is presumably off to warn others of our escape! Is there anything you want before she does so!?

“I want to confront Celestia!” said Right as she got to her hooves and held one to her chest as she lifted her head. “I want to see the look on her face when she realises that we’re back! I want her to know that she’s about to pay for her crimes!”

“Are you insane, Right!?” cried First as he turned to face her. “You’re going to get yourself killed! ... er ... rekilled!”

“I’ll be fine,” said Right. “I’ve been in stickier situations. And after all she’s done, I need to see the look on Celestia’s face as she realises that her doom is upon her! I want to tell her myself!”

“Is it really wise to aggravate Celestia while you’re alone?” asked Solemn as she raised an eyebrow.

“I need to do this,” said Right. “I’m not going to fight her. I’ll escape if she gets violent. I can take care of myself. But I need to confront her. To let her know exactly what I think and let her stew before we make our move.”

“I think it sounds a little stupid, but if you feel the need, I won’t stop you,” said Star.

“I suppose getting things off your chest is important.” First sighed. “It would be hypocritical of me to complain too much.”

“I just ask you to be careful not to compromise the mission unnecessarily,” said Solemn as she closed her eyes.

So you need transport!?

“ Yes. Can you get me there?” asked Right as she turned to face Star.

“Teleport you all the way to the palace in New Canterlot?” asked Star, flicking his eyes up to the ceiling. “Please! Ask for something difficult next time!”

Do it!” Morning Star nodded. “The rest of us will meet there later!

There was a flash as Star teleported Right out.

(/)

In the courtyard of the palace, there was a bright flash as an awkwardly flailing alicorn filly, who slowly dragged herself towards the castle with her frantic flaps as she fell, and a large block of ice fell from the sky. The ice smashed upon impact, releasing a large, three-headed dog while the alicorn filly skidded along the floor on her face, smashing into a wall and collapsing. The dog limped over, whining, and began to lick its mistress.

The guards, most of which had dropped their spears and their jaws, hurried over to see to the new arrival.


(/)

Right appeared in a field near the walls in another section of the palace grounds. She quickly looked around and turned towards the palace. No witnesses. Good. I think I know where I am. Let’s just check. She scanned the windows and when she reached one, paused and nodded. Got it. If Celestia’s bedchamber is there, it shouldn’t be too hard to plot a course.

She faded from view and snuck along the walls to the nearest door. Naturally, two guards stood before it, but there was a large enough space over their heads for that not to matter.Now just to make sure that I don’t get their attention. She levitated over the heads of the guards and into the palace before galloping towards Celestia’s bedroom.

As she snuck through the passage of stained-glass windows, she slowed down and began to look at them more closely. She walked up to one of the windows and stared at the image of a cyan pegasus with a rainbow mane. There was a red glow at the base of her neck and Right lifted her hoof to touch it. “Loyalty,” she whispered.

The golden, engraved doors on the other end of the passage swung open and a sleepy Celestia walked in. She walked with a weary lope. She was wearing a fluffy, pink bathrobe, her hair had strands that were out of place and full of kinks and her eyes were swollen and bleary. Yet those eyes widened and she reared back as she returned to full alertness upon seeing her visitor. “Right!?” she cried. She quickly darted her head around to check the rest of the passage and confirm that she was not still dreaming. “You’re here!?”

Right had noticed that her mane was no longer exclusively pink, but it was still unmistakably her. She quickly turned from the windows and scowled viciously as she widened her stance. “You didn’t think we would stay on the moon forever, did you?”

“When you didn’t return with Luna, I thought the Elements had worked differently from how I expected. I thought you’d been freed from Nightmare Moon’s curse!” She bit her lip and her eyes flickered.

Right’s scowl deepened. “Likely story. I notice that you didn’t mind chucking us into space.”

“I was doing my best!” Celestia slammed a hoof down as she returned the scowl. “Don’t you think I’ve regretted everything that happened that night ever since? You know we barely understood how to control the Elements. I needed time to plan how to free you all!”

Right shook her head. “And the lies still spill from your lips. What happened to the sweet, young filly we befriended? How did she grow up to become this!?” She pointed at Celestia and slowly lowered her hoof again. “Why have you renounced all we stood for, Celestia? I saw the statue garden and know that we’re completely absent from it. Not to mention that you’ve released Discord! How could you do that, Celestia!? You know what it took to trap him!” She took an aggressive step forward with each sentence.

Celestia closed her eyes. “Discord has reformed.”

Right snorted. “You really expect me to believe that? I suppose that’s why we’re not in the statue garden either?” Her voice dripped sarcasm. She waved a hoof to indicate the decor. “Lovely stained-glass windows, by the way, Celestia. I really appreciate our conspicuous absence from them. I noticed that you at least still base the appearance of most of your Day Guards on me. I suppose I should feel honoured, but instead I just feel shame.” She turned back towards the windows. “Tell me, Celestia, my old friend, this rainbow-maned pegasus ... would she die for you, the way I did? And when she does, will she too find that all evidence of her existence was erased?”

Celestia scrunched her eyes shut and lowered her head. “Right, please, I don’t want to hurt you.”

“It’s a bit late for that, isn’t it, Celestia?” Right cocked an eyebrow. “Luna whispered the secrets of your betrayal into my mind when she brought me back. And you know that I will not tolerate betrayal.” She narrowed her eyes. “You are praised as the great hero of Equestria while we don’t even get to wallow in obscurity. Did you think that Solemn would be okay with such a filthy lie?!” She slammed her hoof down.First may be the forgiving type, but he knows that our need is greater than yours. Not even your own sister got the respect she deserved! Are you going to set your new friends on us again, the way you did last time we saw each other?”

“Right, please!” Celestia jerked herself back up to her full stature. “I was trying to protect my friends and honour your memories! Please just surrender to the holder of the Seat of Pluto. She can return you to what you once were!”

The corner of Right’s mouth lifted. “I think she’ll have bigger fish to fry than us, Celestia. Seeing as this is already a reunion of old friends, we thought we’d invite a relative of yours. Star managed to subdue the three-headed dog quite easily.”

Celestia’s eyes narrowed. “Wait ... Surely you cannot mean ... Not him? You would not ... You could not!”

“We can and did.” Right scowled. “You’ve forced our hooves, Celestia.”

Celestia’s eyes widened. “Impossible. Nopony can break out of Tartarus!”

She slowly shook her head.

“Nopony before now!” Right’s scowl returned as she took another step forward. “Tell me. How is the current holder of the Seat of Venus?”

Celestia’s eyebrows rose. “Cadance!” she gasped and with a flash, teleported out.

Right smirked and returned to the shadows.

(/)

Luna paused to enjoy the last of the cool night air before the morning rolled on. Her sister would arrive soon and it would be time to switch the positions of their respective celestial bodies once more.

While they could technically perform this duty anywhere, it was always worth it to perform the transition from their balconies and they did so on practically every occasion. It allowed them to show off a bit, have a quick check on their subjects and admire the view, both that which they created themselves, and that which existed already.

She had been walking over to her balcony when she heard a crash. She galloped the rest of the way and peered over the edge to the courtyard below. There were chunks of ice scattered around the courtyard and the guards had gathered around Cerberus. Luna jumped off and glided down in a spiral until her hooves touched the stone below her and folded her wings away. “What’s going on here?” she asked.

“We were trying to find that out ourselves, Princess,” replied a guard. “All we know right now is that Plutonia and her dog fell out the sky. And there was lots of ice.” The guards separated, revealing that Cerberus was licking Pluto.

Pluto groaned as she shifted. She turned to face Luna and said, “Princess Luna, The Four are back!”

Luna pulled back, scrunching her face and raising an eyebrow.

“And they have released Morning Star!”

Luna’s eyes widened and she reared back, her wings flaring. “Morning Star, as in—“

“As in the reason that Tartarus was built in the first place, yes.”

Luna slowly lowered her wings as her face darted about to check the courtyard. An instinctual part of herself left over from stories she had been told as a foal also demanded that she check under the bed, but she dismissed that. “Then—“

“I need your armoury,” said Pluto. She looked up at Cerberus who was shivering, bruised, was not using his back left leg and still had bits of frost in his fur. “And a veterinarian.”

(/)

Celestia appeared in front of the Crystal Palace, gliding down to the entrance. A pair of crystal guards bowed in greeting. “Welcome, Princess Celestia,” they said.

“Princess,” began the one on her right, “pardon me for asking, but is something wrong?”

“Yeah, shouldn’t the moon have gone down and the sun have risen?” the guard on her left tried asking.

The other shot a glare at him.

“Yes,” replied Celestia. “They should have. May I see Princess Cadance?”

The two guards slowly turned their heads to face each other. “I don’t think Princess Cadance is up yet,” said the left guard again.

Celestia closed her eyes. “Please. It is important.”

“I’m not sure she’ll be happy about that,” said the right hoof guard.

“She won’t,” replied Celestia. “But the Crystal Empire is considered a territory of Equestria now. Princess Cadance reports to me. Let me deal with that.”

“You’re going to see Princess Cadance as her superior, while in your bathrobe?” asked the left guard.

“Yes. I am,” replied Celestia, narrowing her eyes.

“All right,” sighed the right-hoof guard. “I’ll take you.”

(/)

So,” said Morning Star. “We believe that it was YOU two who brought us back!” He levitated Star and First over to face him.

Star and First looked at each other before Star cleared his throat and said, “Yes, your Magnificence. We heard how you grant desires and were wondering if—YAAAAAAAAARRGH!” Star cried out in agony as Morning Star’s aura twisted his jaw but the scream was cut off as his jaw was nearly ripped off and hung loosely from his face.

Solemn and First’s eyes bulged and their heads reared back. First wriggled for a few seconds in his aura in an attempt to get free before stopping in resignation and Solemn bit her lip as she stepped backwhile First’s bones began to rattle as he shivered.

“You talk a lot for something with fangs, VAMPIRE!” said Morning Star. He dropped Star to the floor and the vampire lay, cradling his jaw as it began to regenerate. “We’d think you wouldn’t want to draw ATTENTION to yourself after ruining my perfect body with your AMATEUR spell!

“Look!” cried First. “You can’t treat him like—YEEOOOOWGH!” Solemn watched in open-mouthed horror as First’s skull was torn from his spine and thrown to the ground before the rest of his skeleton followed.

We’ll treat our subjects as we DESIRE! Even if you WEREN’T at fault for the same reason, we will not tolerate ANY questioning of our authority! We are the avatar of Venus and DESTINED to rule! Now pull yourselves together!” Morning Star said. “We have work to do! Consider this the payment for making us UGLY and for insubordination! We are merciful, so you haven’t been destroyed! Instead, we will grant your desires as you requested! What is it you summoned us for!?

“We need Princess Celestia defeated,” said Solemn. “And the night to last forever. We heard that you are powerful. That you could be bargained with. And we believe that Celestia has allied with Discord. We heard that you could control him.”

“Discord!?” asked Morning Star as he raised an eyebrow. “As for your request ... Do you know why we were named ‘Morning Star’?!

“No,” replied Solemn. She lowered her head and shook it a bit more than the rest of her body. “Most information about you is lost or classified. It is only due to our high positions that we know about you at all.”

Morning Star scowled. “So the world has FORGOTTEN us, has it?! Well, it will remember us soon enough! Anyway, our name is one of Venus’s many names! It refers to how she sometimes seems to usher in the Sun! Our parents saw that we were perfect and guessed that we would hold the Seat of Venus and would usher in a GLORIOUS new age! They were CORRECT! It is ironic then that you ask MORNING STAR to end the Sun’s reign altogether ... Still, Venus had another, more APPROPRIATE name: The EVENING Star, Bringer of NIGHT! YES! We can work with this! We will ensure that your wish is granted! In return you will WORSHIP and SERVE us!” He pointed a hoof at First. “Tell us, why do your bones look like that?!

“He’s a crystal—“

Morning Star slammed his front, left hoof into the ground and a shard of rock erupted from the cave floor, trapping Solemn’s neck in a V-shaped vice grip. “Did we ask YOU?!

“No,” gasped Solemn.

Do you think we may have had a REASON for that?!” Morning’s eyes narrowed.

“I’m sorry. I should have realised that you did, your Magnificence,” Solemn rasped.

Morning Star tapped his hoof again and the rock split apart, releasing her. “Do not FORGET that!” He turned back towards First.

First had paused with his hooves on his skull, in the midst of trying to make sure that he had properly reattached it, in order to watch his friend. After she got back to her hooves, he turned to face the alicorn.

ANSWER US!” said Morning Star.

“I am a crystal pony,” said First. “A tribe which split off from the earth ponies after your time. And know this: I have defied my Queen before. She was an alicorn. You will not intimidate me into obedience if you harm my friends. I’ll leave like I left her!”

But you don’t WANT to leave, DO you!?” Morning asked with a smile as he widened his eyes slightly and looked deeply into First’s.

First looked into those beautiful, sparkling eyes and his jaw opened slightly. If he still had salivary glands, he would have begun to drool. “... No,” he replied.

We didn’t think so! Yet it seems as we need to learn more about this time!” He closed his eyes to commune with the previous holder of the Seat of Venus. “So, tell me ... Eros, is it? What has become of my domain? ... You want me to go there? Oh, I’m already there, as you should be able to tell. I like all the fire, brimstone and darkness. Reminds me of home. ... Oh? You prefer the current holder of the Seat of Venus? Perhaps I should meet her. What is she like? ... Oh, I won’t have to do that myself. I’m sure that I can convince others to do that with me. My body is perfect, after all. ... Oh, that’s some sort of modern insult? How silly. Why would you suggest that someone you wish to insult partake in such a pleasurable activity? ... You are being remarkably unhelpful for a guiding, ancestral spirit. Then again, my last one disapproved of me as well. And I suppose that I would technically be ancestral to you.” He shook his head and opened his eyes.

“Well, we have other ways of learning. Next on the agenda is weapons!” He walked up to the scythe which Pluto had dropped and lifted it in his aura. “This is Expiration!” he said. “This is the weapon that Tartarus used to kill us and trap our soul in this prison he built! At what was once the HEART of our empire! Our empire which will rise AGAIN! This weapon has been modified many times since it killed us and now it falls into our hooves as PLUNDER!

He walked over to the panel that Pluto had slid open. “And THIS is the cache of weapons confiscated from all the inmates! It was a hollow with hooks hanging from the ceiling, shelves on the sides and furrows along the floor, all loaded with various weapons. The piles were neat and each weapon was labelled with names, dates and cross-references. On the side was a thick ledger.

There is a type of weapon WE invented and named after ourselves!” He lifted a large morningstar in his aura. Its head was particularly, gigantic. It was black and metallic, but with thick, green spikes and a handle with gold and silver spirals trailing down to the heart-shaped pommel. “THIS ONE is our own! Grond!

He lifted the morningstar and it levitated out of the chamber. He swung Grond into the ground. The ground cracked as the earth split apart in racing zigzags that spat dust and roared angrily until they had sundered the landscape like a badly butchered pie, torn apart by the starving. Five bolts of lightning screamed as they fanned out in a rotating set of beams which charred the ground and caused boulders to explode. A wave of acid splashed from the impact and sizzled where it hit the dirt and a torrent of lava flew into the air. The lava fell back to the ground and smoke billowed into the air. “YES! Now that you have eliminated most of the weaknesses of having a body ...” He lifted the crystal First had prepared earlier and brought it to his face. “ ... this will do nicely!

(/)

“What kind of lame armoury is this!?” cried Pluto.

“Don’t use that tone with me!” said Luna. “I should wash your mouth out for that language!”

“Seriously!” said Pluto as she levitated over a weapon. “What is this!?

“It’s a spear,” replied Luna.

“It is made of steel!” Pluto stuck her tongue out and gagged. “What am I supposed to do with that!?

“Be glad that we don’t really use bronze anymore,” said Luna.

Pluto’s eyes widened in horror at the image.

“Against most foes, steel works rather well. Better than some of what you use. And we can’t afford to outfit the entire guard in the magical materials. I could lend you my moonsilver ingot—“

“Yes! Do that!” cried Pluto, perking up.

“... but if there’s going to be a fight, I’d prefer to keep Nadir on me and use it myself.”

Pluto’s eyes narrowed. “Listen here! This is my job!”

Luna raised an eyebrow. “Are you seriously trying to claim that you would be capable of impeding Morning Star in any way whatsoever without aid?”

Pluto opened and closed her mouth three times before saying, “I’ll figure something out!”

“And until you do, I’ll be helping you defend my country from him, whether you like it or not.”

“... That is acceptable.”

There was a flash of light, a squeak and Discord was floating in front of them, reclining in thin air. He was also eating popcorn. “Ah! There you are, Luna!” he said. “I see that you’re being naughty again! I thought you’d stopped the whole “Eternal Night” thing! What an amusing way to be wrong! I came to watch the fun!” He snapped his talon and he was suddenly in a red, padded, folding chair of the type commonly found in movie theatres and he was wearing a pair of glasses which had a red lens and a green lens. He flung some popcorn into his mouth and chomped.

Luna raised an eyebrow. “What are you ...? No! Celestia and I aren’t fighting again! We simply have more pressing concerns than arranging to switch the positions of the Sun and Moon! Such as the fact that Morning Star has escaped from Tartarus!”

The next pawful of popcorn froze on its way to Discord’s mouth.

(/)

Four hundred thousand years earlier:

An egg lay on the barren ground. It had non-parallel stripes, multi-coloured spots and splotches of various sizes and the pointed end was plaid. The egg wriggled, cracked and split into pieces and a creature sprawled out into the dirt. It had a serpentine body, a hoof, a paw, a claw and a talon. One of its wings was feathered and the other was bat-like. The creature stared in open-mouthed wonder as its gaze drifted over the surroundings. Its ears perked at the sound of crashing waves. It crawled, attempting wriggle through the beach sand in order to experience as much of it as he could. He picked up a piece of his eggshell and smiled at having his first toy. It lifted the piece with a paw to take a closer look. The piece of shell then exploded and he squealed in pain and wide-eyed shock as he fell on his rump.

A slightly larger serpentine creature with a gorilla arm, an octopus tentacle, a single, white wing, a pair of mismatching hooves and a monkey tail rolled on the ground, laughing. The first creature glared at it.

(/)

Within the starlit void, at a desk labelled, “Havoc of Demos”, sat a far larger serpentine creature with multiple, assorted limbs. “Entropy and I would like to present our youngest son, Prince Discord,” announced Havoc as he lifted a paw. The draconequus hatchling lay within, glancing around to take in as much of the view as possible. “Show the council what you can do,” said Havoc. “Don’t disappoint me.

Discord narrowed his eyes in determination and snapped his talon. He was lifted into the air by a pink cloud and was carried forward into the centre of the ring of desks while wearing a smug grin.

There was a snap of gorilla fingers and the pink cloud faded away. Discord fell to the floor and glared at his laughing tormenter who sat at a desk inscribed with, “Destruction of Styx”. Another large serpentine creature at a desk labelled, “Entropy of Fenrir” rolled her eyes while a white alicorn at a desk labelled, “Morning Star of Venus” raised an eyebrow.

(/)

While Destruction’s lack of restraint is disappointing and pathetic,” Havoc said to Discord, “he is still your older brother and when your mother and I are gone, he will be your king, the ruler of Serpentia. You were born to be below him.

“I’m just supposed to be below him? Why should I do what I’m supposed to do? It’s more fun and chaotic to go against the flow. Besides, what about Emperor Morning Star?” asked Discord.

The self-appointed ‘Emperor’ is unfortunately above us all and has been since winning the last Cosmic War, but I intend to outlive him by a significant margin. He may have climbed higher than the rest of us, but that doesn’t mean that you can as well.

But he’s only an alicorn!” said Discord. “If you wanted to climb higher than him, couldn’t you just snap your fingers and destroy him? Or turn him into a flower or something? I’ve got lots of ideas if you want suggestions.

If I was able to snap my fingers with the intention of doing that while I was in his presence, then yes, I could,” replied Havoc. “But you will learn, Discord, that there is more than one type of power. I suggest that you ask Emperor Morning Star about that.

I think I will!” said Discord. “I’m sure it’ll be more fun than this.”

(/)

Upon the plains of red dust, surrounded by the wind-blasted rocks, Discord knelt before the white alicorn.

Morning Star smirked. “You want me to teach you?

Yes, please, your Magnificence,” replied Discord.

Morning Star’s smile spread. “All right. I’m interested. I sense potential in you. Just remember that you will take every lesson I give you. You will be mine. Now, for the first lesson:” His horn began to glow. Discord was lifted into the air and flung backwards, smashing into a cliff. The cliff split apart into large boulders that flew into the air. “Power belongs to those who take it! Lesson two: Those with power can do whatever they want to those below them,” Discord’s body swung round and smashed through a boulder, breaking it up and launching the shrapnel into the distance. “They are mere toys! Lesson three:” Discord’s body was smashed into the ground, cracking it below him as he bowed till his face was buried in the dirt. “Break their spirits and their bodies will be yours. Now, thank me for these lessons and beg me for more.

Oh, I’ll learn your lessons, Morning! Discord thought as he gritted his teeth. And after I deal with my family, I’ll be a greater ruler than you ever could be! I suggest that you hope not to live to see that day!

(/)

Discord snapped his talon and he, his chair, his glasses and the popcorn disappeared. In his place was a letter which narrated itself in Discord’s voice. It said, “Dearest fellow members of the Cosmic Council,

You can take your plans to deal with the current crisis and throw them into the Sun. I know that I’m acting out of bounds again and I don’t care.

Your Slayer of Boredom and soon a certain alicorn,

Discord

Pluto turned towards Luna. “This is not going to go well, is it?”

“Considering how the morning has gone so far, I believe you’re correct.”

Author's Note:

Aaaaaaagh! I had every letter o Discord's letter in a differen font, but fimfiction doesn't allow that!

Also, beleve it or not, I had the idea for Discord's scene before I knew he'd be in the first episode of the season. Strange minds think alike!