• Published 9th Mar 2012
  • 2,451 Views, 50 Comments

Draconic Awakening - saber1994



A young man arrives in a strange world and discovers that he has some strange powers

  • ...
5
 50
 2,451

A Suspicious Librarian

Zecora paid no mind to the unicorn that had arrived at the hut with her. Instead Zecora began to mill around the room and she began to get to work crushing various roots with a mortar and pestle. Meanwhile the unicorn made her way to the bed that Elliot was resting on. She gave Elliot a soft smile and then greeted him.

“Hello, my name is Twilight Sparkle. My friend Zecora told me that she had found a strange injured creature in the forest,” Twilight said as she began to look over Elliot’s body. Elliot felt a sudden urge to cover himself up as much as possible. Her prying eyes made him feel extremely uncomfortable and he felt as if he was a piece of meat that was being inspected for quality.

After a minute or two Elliot began to relax a little bit. “I’m Elliot Drake. It’s nice to meet you Twilight,” he said trying to seem less nervous than he felt.

Twilight grinned at realizing that he did indeed speak Equestrian. “If you don’t mind me asking, could you tell me what you are? In all of my studies I’ve never read about a creature that matches your description,” she replied with her eyes lighting up showing the yearning for knowledge.

Elliot shifted uneasily at her question. He began to ask himself the same thing. One word however seemed to pop into his head every time that he thought about it. After looking her in the eyes he responded “Human, I think. I don’t remember much but that sticks out to me. Could you tell me where I am? I get a feeling that I’m a long way from home.”

“Well since I’ve never seen a human before it does seem that you are far from home. Currently you are in Zecora’s home in the Everfree forest located in the nation of Equestria,” Twilight told him beginning to understand just how lonely he might be feeling. “If you’d like we can look around the area that you first remember showing up in. It might give us more clues as to where you come from and how you got here.”

“That sounds wonderful. Zecora would have to take us to where she found me though,” Elliot replied while almost jumping off of the bed in excitement. He then asked “Can we go now?” Zecora had heard the last part of the conversation and nodded her head in agreement and Twilight did the same.



After a short walk with Zecora leading the way, they finally made it to the outcropping that Elliot had found and used as shelter. Once we were there the first thing that Twilight noticed was the mostly dried puddle of blood. The sight made her realize just how lucky Elliot was that Zecora had been near enough to find him before he bled to death.

“I must bid both of adieu, for I have plenty of work to do,” Zecora said once we got a feel for our surroundings. She turned and began to depart.

“Alright, I’ll see you later,” Twilight called after her. Zecora turned and gave a smile and Elliot waved goodbye. As soon as she had left the clearing Twilight began looking around some more. She noted the pile of berries that had started to grow some molds. Elliot also noticed this and he began to wonder just how long he had been unconscious before he woke up in Zecora’s.

“This is where I stayed after I woke up here,” Elliot told Twilight. He then started to walk off in the direction that he had originally found himself in. Once they made it to the stream Elliot turned and followed it back to the place where first found himself in this forest. As they got to the center of the small clearing Twilight gasped when she saw the old, dried up puddle of blood.

“That’s a lot of blood, no wonder you were asleep for four days,” Twilight said as she took a closer look at the puddle.

“Actually that’s not my blood. Even though I woke up lying in the puddle while it was fresh, I didn’t see where it came from,” Elliot responded.

Twilight looked very surprised at this revelation. After examining the puddle a bit more she levitated a small vial out of her saddle bag and put some of the blood into. She put a cork into the top and then replaced the vial in her bag. After studying the area and scanning certain spots with her horn Twilight trotted back to Elliot’s side.

When she arrived Elliot was standing there gawking at her. “How did you do that?” was the only thing that he managed to say.

Twilight glanced up at Elliot with a slightly puzzled look on her face. “Do you mean the levitation spell I used to get my vial? That was magic. Don’t tell me you’ve never seen magic before,” she told him matter-of-factly.

Elliot couldn’t keep himself standing anymore. After he took a seat he began mumbling to himself, “First I see three small horses, and then I see that they are also mythical creatures. After that I save those ponies from some weird lion thing, then I get rescued by a zebra, and now a unicorn is using magic before my eyes. I don’t even have an idea of what could happen next.”

Twilight perked up when she heard the part about the lion thing. “You were attacked by a manticore? How did you manage to get away?” she started asking her interest piqued.

“That’s just it. I don’t know how I got away. I passed out while it was biting down on my arm and I thought that I was about to die. The next thing I know the manticore is dead and I’m still alive. After that I made my way back to that rock and then I wake up in Zecora’s hut.” Elliot said still shaking his head in disbelief. His levels of surprise and worry were hitting him hard. He was shaking slightly and the frustration was starting to make him tear up.

Twilight nodded trying to understand the odd series of events. After realizing the measure of difficulty that Elliot had had to put up with she decided that it was time he got a chance to relax. “Maybe we should head back? If you’d like you can come to my library and look for any information that could help you find out how to get back to your home,” she said as she began heading back towards the original clearing.

Elliot nodded uneasily. “It couldn’t hurt, so I don’t see why not,” he said as he followed her. Once there he noticed
her also take a sample of his blood that had been on the rocks. He tried to ignore this, but the extent of which she was studying him began to disturb him.

The short trek back passed by without any incident. When they got to Zecora’s hut Elliot took a chance to thank her for saving him. After he insisted that he was deeply in her debt and that he needed to pay her back someday Twilight and Elliot began to follow the path out of the forest.

“So where exactly are we going anyway?” Elliot asked Twilight trying to pass some time.

“We’re going to the library in the town of Ponyville. It’s also where I live. While the library doesn’t have the largest collection of books, it should contain some useful information,” she replied with a smile. Her friendliness began to unnerve Elliot a little. He was a strange creature that she had never seen before yet here this little pony was treating him as if she had known him for a long while.

Trying to dismiss these pessimistic thoughts Elliot began to wonder what a town full of ponies could be like. However he started to doubt the fact that waltzing through town was going to be such a good idea. He decided to voice his concern to Twilight, “I was just thinking, and wouldn’t it cause a panic for me, an unknown creature, to just walk through the town?”

This caused Twilight to stop and think for a moment. After pondering the situation she had finally come up with a solution. “I’ll cast a cloaking spell on you. It should last for our trip through the town and no one will be able to see you,” she told him.

Elliot just nodded in response. The idea of it was simple enough and being invisible seemed like it could be a fun experience.



After walking for about thirty more minutes the two had finally made it to the edge of the forest. Without saying anything Twilight turned to Elliot with her horn glowing. Elliot was about to say something but he didn’t get a chance as Twilight touched the horn to him. He felt a very cold sensation pass through his body as it felt as if all the heat simply left the direct area around him. Beginning to panic, he quickly tried to look at his arm but he saw nothing.

Realizing that it was just the cloaking spell Twilight had mentioned, Elliot tried to calm down. He looked to Twilight and noticed the satisfied smile that she was wearing. She then turned and made her way to the town. While they were walking Elliot looked back and forth between the many colored homes and buildings. The various colors were almost sickening in nature, but the fact that they all housed ponies made them fit.

Elliot then noticed a large tree growing in the town. At first he thought that it was just a tree to provide shade for any weary shoppers, but he then noticed that the tree had windows. Only until they were a short distance away did he realize that the tree was their destination. Once they got there Twilight used her magic to open the door and the pair walked inside.

They had made it just in time, because Elliot had become visible again just before the door was fully closed. This made the two sigh in relief. Twilight walked over to a table and gently levitated her saddle bag onto it. She then turned to Elliot and said “Feel free to look around. The books should be in alphabetical order. If you’re thirsty there is some apple juice in the refrigerator so feel free to help yourself.”

“Alright then, thank you very much,” Elliot said as he walked to one of the bookshelves and began to look through them. While Elliot did this Twilight took the two vials of blood and made her way to through a door and down some stairs. After he had searched for a long while Elliot decided to get some of the apple juice that Twilight had offered. He walked to the kitchen found a glass and poured himself some.

Elliot then went back into the main room and found a comfortable chair to sit in. He sipped on the juice and tried his best to think of books that might have information on his kind. After thinking about this for a while Elliot remembered that unicorns and the like had been considered only myths in his world, so maybe humans were the same here. He stood up quickly and located a book that was a compilation of Equestrian myths.

He searched through the book the best he could, but he found no mention of humans. When he couldn’t find anything relevant he almost gave up until he saw a simple drawing of a shadow that was standing on two legs. He took interest in the picture and read the short entry that described the creature.

The two legged creature was one of the few that was never given a name. Most ponies figured that it may be too dangerous to research. All that is truly known is that these creatures are extremely vicious and should be treated as deadly.

This news did not bode well for Elliot. With his stomach deciding to do a somersault he became nervous. If the creature was indeed a human then there would be plenty of reason for the population to fear him. Elliot quickly placed the book back in its original spot and he sat back down in the chair. He started sipping on his apple juice some more and tried to calm himself. Thinking of anything to help he decided that if the librarian didn’t know what he was then no other pony would. With these slightly comforting thoughts and the delicious apple juice to calm his nerves Elliot began to feel the effects of a long day. Soon sleep overcame him and he began to snooze lightly in the chair.







Author's Note: Sorry the chapter came out a day later than promised. However I already have a good idea of what is going to happen next so it shouldn't take me long to write the next one. Sorry if you find the story boring so far, but I believe that exposition is very important. After I get a chance to get everything set up more exciting things will start to happen. Anyway thank you for reading.