• Published 13th Nov 2013
  • 4,787 Views, 38 Comments

The Mane Six Observe Humans - Ziggy05



Celestia sends the mane six into the human world to research humans. Hilarity ensues.

  • ...
10
 38
 4,787

Television?

As the mane six entered the room, Pinkiepie immediately begun to bounce on their queen size bed. Rarity was busy unpacking their luggage and Applejack had left muddy tracks on the carpet all the way up to the kitchen. Fluttershy seemed afraid of the large cubical box in the centre of the room and Rainbow Dash was pounding it with a fist.

"Girls!" Twilight screamed, but nopony took any notice. She growled in fustration. "Girls! If you don't want to listen you can miss out on this incredibly important fact that I'm about to share with you!" The five ponies looked up. Twilight let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you. Celestia has sent us to this world for a research mission, not to act like a bunch of monkeys! She's cast a spell on us that will let us retain our horns and wings but normal folk here don't use magic or fly-

"Boo!"

Twilight glared at Rainbow Dash. "-So we need to keep them concealed. This means wearing hats and possibly even jumpers for full security in public. We'll be remaining here here for three months- that's when the portal reopens. Until then, I expect everypony to comply to protocol."

"Prota-what?" Rainbow Dash stared at Twilight inquisitively.

"Protocol!" Twilight groaned. "It means a set of mandatory requirements set by the superior command?"

The mane six blinked blankly at Twilight. "Sense when were you 'superior?'" Rainbowdash snapped. "I'm way awesomer then you."

"Well, regarding that you can't even spell awesome-" Twilight groaned. "Look, just forget it. Its not important. Its just a list of rules you need to obey. Celestia's orders."

The mane six nodded silently take for Rainbow Dash who rolled her eyes and returned to punching the black box. "What are you doing Rainbow Dash?" Pinkiepie asked, giggling. "Why are you punching in that black box like that?"

"I don't know what she's doing." Fluttershy squeaked, "Its really scary though. I do wish she'd stop..."

"I've been trying to turn this television on for eons now!" Rainbowdash sighed. "Nothings working. I've tried fiddling with the buttons on that square black thingy with all the buttons, I've tried pressing the buttons on that disc tray, its ridiculous."

Twilight widened her eyes, surprised that out of all of her friends, Rainbow Dash was the one who knew what a human TV was. "Well Rainbow, its simple. All you need to do is recalibrate the source of chemical energy being output by the external playing device. Then you put force on the marked point located parallel to the vocalization control knobs and wave length alternator buttons."

Rainbow Dash looked flabbergasted. She rubbed her eyes and shook her head, as if trying to shake off her confusion. "Come again?" She said.

Pinkiepie giggled and pressed the power button on the disc tray. "Silly filly," she said, pushing the 'on' button. "You simply have to turn it on!"

Rainbow Dash face palmed. "W-wait a second. I only had to push those two buttons and I could have saved myself all this time? This is so not cool..." She groaned.

Rarity came up and sat (elegantly) on the couch. "Well, look on the bright side darling. At least now we get to see some human television!"

"Heh, thats true I guess." Rainbowdash shrugged.

"Ooh, I'm so excited!" Twilight squeed. She magically levitated a notebook and pen into her human palms. "I can't wait to take notes. Theres gonna be so much information that one can get on culture and society and the kind of things going on in their world!" Her friends rolled her eyes.

"Rainbowdash grabbed the remote from the bottom of the couch. "Now, because I was the first pony to try and start the TV, I'll pick the first thing we watch, got it?" She pressed a button and the screen flickered.

"Hey, no fair!" PInkiepie complained. "I turned the box on!"

"I think I should get to choose," Rarity snorted. "I'm the only pony here who could actually choose something couthe for us all to watch. You five would choose something roudy and chaotic..."

"Um... yeah! Try fun?" Rainbow Dash pouted. "Besides, anything i chose would be twenty percent cooler then anything you five could come up with!"

"Hold on just a second now! I'd love to see some human athletics. Wonder how they'd use these legs'd theirs..." Applejack patted one 'knee' curiously.

"Um... if its not too much trouble I'd love to see some human g-garden shows... the little animals would be sooo cute and-

"Yeah, it would be too much trouble!" Rainbow yelled. "The remote is mine!"

"Girls!" Twilight screamed. She put a glass bowl down on the desk. In the bowl were six little pieces of paper. "Lets take it in turns. Whoever I draw gets to pick the first channel. After we've watched one thing, I'll put their paper to the side and somepony else can draw, got it? We've got three months- more then enough time to watch a few TV shows."

The girls nodded. That was a good idea. "Five bucks says I get the draw," Rainbow Dash muttered. The five glared at her and she shut up.

Twilight Sparkle reached her hand into the bowl and picked out a piece of paper. She hoped it was herself- she'd have loved to see a human news channel. The amount of information you could gather from something as significant as that... She flattened the piece of paper out and cleared her throat. "Rarity Belle!" The entire team groaned.

The exception being Rarity, of course. "Oooh!" She let out a little squeal. "I'm going to find us a beautiful channel."

"This sucks! Why her?" Rainbow dash groaned, slouching into the couch.

"Rainbow, darling, if you don't like it you can just go somewhere else." Rarity pointed out, pressing the channel buttons on the remote.

"Fine, I'll stay. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it." Rainbow Dash grunted.

"Horrid. Horrid. Horrid. Lovely! Ah, here we go." Rarity sat eagerly on the couch. "Beautiful."

"Home decor?" Rainbow Dash snapped. "Seriously? In cloudsdale, if you want furniture you just craft it from the clouds."

"Come on, Rainbow Dash." Twilight said. She scribbled something down in her notebook. "I'm sure even cloudsdale has designers."

"Well, I've never used em', and look how awesome my house is!" Rainbow pouted. She crossed her arms and turned back to the screen.

Bob: "Hello! I'm Bob Cartney and welcome to Home Mansions! With me here today I have my associate and co-worker Mrs. Flo and today we are going to be designing the inside of Mrs. Grace's home."

Mrs: Flo: "For those of you who don't know how the show works, the owner of the house will give us a list of designs she wants in his or her home. Then, she'll leave and we have half an hour to make the house look as good as possible. The owner will then rank us on how good or bad our job is."

Bob: "With that said, lets get on with the designing! The client has left a list of instructions on their kitchen table downstairs. Lets see what they say."

Mrs. Flo: "She wants a... snake themed house?"

Bob: "Snake themed, right right... We're talking green wall papers, scaly floors, plushies and jungles people. Maybe even a few real pythons, am I right? I was thinking we could start with the wallpapers and flooring-"

Mrs Flo: "Maybe a jungle theme."

Bob: "Good idea. Then we can move onto the furniture- paint it brown and green. Then we can add a few minor details like the sink- we could turn the nozzle into a snake, or maybe the shower head."

Mrs. Flo: "I don't think the client wants a snake drooling on them."

Bob: Then I don't think they'll want to wash their dishes in snake venom, either."

"Mrs. Flo: "That'd stink."

Bob: "To get started, we're going to grab our paint brushes and head over to the hallway. Hopefully we can make quick work of this house."

"Humans find these petty jokes funny?" Rainbow Dash groaned.

"I know! Fascinating creatures, aren't they?" Twilight squealed. She scribbled down a hasty note with her 'pen' and looked eagerly at the screen. "Whats next?"

Bob: "We're back and we've finished painting the hall. Took us long enough."

Mrs. Flo: "We've still got the rest of the house to do up. I'm sweating as it is."

"UREKA!"

Everybody looked at Twilight. She blushed. "I mean, this confirms it! I had my suspicions but sweat is distinct evidence that humans are endothermic! Endothermic bipedal mammals! Amazing!"

Pinkiepie raised an eye. "Uh... do you just like speaking your mumbo jumbo to confuse us or...?"

"Shh! I'm trying to watch this!"

Bob: "Look at all these walls. We're going to need a bigger brush."

Mrs. Flo: "Definitely."

Bob: "At least its the last room. How long left on the clock?"

Mrs. Flo: "Ten minutes."

Bob: "There you are folks. We have ten minutes to spruce up the rest of the house. The walls are painted and we've got the flooring down but stay tuned until after the break where we'll finish up decorating the rest of Mrs. Grace's house and the scores will be revealed."

"Huh? Whats this?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Twilight looked up. "Huh? Oh, that. Its an advertisement." Twilight shrugged. "They do that on television."

"Well whatever they are advertising, it looks awesome!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. She pressed her eyes to the screen.

Get your Nerf gun today!

"Whats a gun?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight shrugged. "I think its like a human weapon of some kind. We already know humans are more advanced then we are- its probably quite lethal."

Fluttershy turned white. "O-oh my... Thats horrible... They let thirteen year olds have weapons in this world?"

"Chill out guys! Its not a real gun. Its a toy." Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "The real thing'd probably blast your doo-nads from here to Cloudsdale."

"Well, either way, your not getting it." Twilight said sternly. "Its not like you can bring it with you to equestria in any case. Who knows who might get hurt?"

"Aw come on, Twilight!" Rainbow groaned.

"I'd like it very much if you two stopped squabbling and paid attention. The shows starting again!" Rarity scolded. She clapped her hooves together. "Oooh- I can't wait to see how Mrs. Grace reacts!"

Bob: "We are back with Home Mansions! I'm Bob Cartney and this is Mrs. Flo and to end off, we'll be turning the sink nozzles into snakes! You got your paint brush?"

Mrs Flo: "I do."

Bob: "Then lets get ready to paint."

"Hey! Its changing!" Pinkie squealed.

"It looks like they're giving us a tutorial." Twilight squinted. "Funny how they'd do that in the middle of a show though. Theres no warning!"

Bob: "Try this at home! The first thing you'll need is a paint brush, typically. You can use any colour but for this art project, we are going to be using green and dark green with black dots for the eyes."

Mrs Flo: "First off, you want to paint the entire sink nozzle with your first color- in this case light green. Wait for it to try and then you can pattern your snake with the second color."

Bob: "Now, its important to remember that you can use any pattern for this activity. Some you may like to try at home are tiger stripes, spots, lines and even crosses but we are going to be doing triangles."

Mrs Flo: "This pattern is very simple. Using a thin brush, paint triangular shapes down the length of your snake. Leave it to dry and then you can add two black dots for the eyes. If you want to get really creative, you can obviously use other colors as well."

Bob: "Don't limit it to just your two colours, either. If your feeling imaginative, you can paint a full spectrum. Lets see how we did."

"It does look sorta like a snake, doesn't it?" Twilight said.

Bob: Now that we've painted our snake sink, we can add any last finishing touches before the owner comes home

"Why are they speeding it up?"

"I dunno, Pinkie. Maybe its a way to kill time? But that'd mean that they have a lot longer then half an hour truly to spruce up the house." Twilight put a hoof to her chin. "Hm. I'd better right all this down."

Mrs Flo: "The owner is pulling up in her car. Its time to see our score results."

Bob: "Hello Mrs. Grace- its time for you to give us your opinion on your houses makeover!"

Mrs. Grace: "I think its good. Could have been done better."

Bob: "What do you think we could have improved?"

Mrs. Grace: "The walls? Maybe the floor. I don't really like the color."

Bob: "Overall, what would your score be?"

Mrs. Grace: "Possibly a 7/10. Better luck next time."

The dialogue was finished with a few extra words and then the credits rolled. "Mrs. Grace didn't really seem to mind." Fluttershy said softly. "She didn't show emotion or anything."

"They usually choose the clients before they actually air the show and they tell them how to act and what to say," Twilight said. "That's why they say it without stammering or breaking off their lines."

"Wheres the fun in that?" Rainbowdash pouted. "If half the viewers watch for the end, it makes no sense to fake it all!"

Twilight shrugged. She pushed the bowl over and grabbed a slip with her hands. "Yes! Yes yes yes yes yes! ME! ITS ME!"

"Uh... you okay there sugarcube?" Applejack chuckled nervously.

"Yeah. I'm better then okay! Lets watch some human news!" Twilight sung. She ignored her friends groans and changed the channel.

As bushfires roll on in Australia, firefighters are worried that they wil soon get out of control. Already 30 are confirmed dead and hundreds more have had to be evacuated from-

Twilight slammed down on the channel button as Fluttershy begun to squeal. "Ah, thats better." She said. "I'm sure this new channel will be interesting."

Thousands have died in the war between-

"Goodness," Twilight mumbled. She changed the channel again. "Isn't there anything so depressing on the human news?"

Today a cat was found dead-

Fluttershy screamed. Seconds later, she fainted. "Uh," Twilight blushed. "Maybe we ought to just skip my go? Pinkiepie, why don't you go next?"

"Hey, thats no fair! Why does she get to get after you? Why not me?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Fine, I'll draw." She picked a third piece of paper from the bowl. "Ahem. Pinkie Pie."

"Woo hoo! Lets get this party started!" Yelled Pinkie.

"Oh, that's why." Rainbowdash mumbled.

Pinkiepie responded by patting Rainbow Dash on the head. "Don't worry, Dashie. I'm sure you'll get your go soon enough." She flickered through the channels.

My little pony...

"Uh... Pinkie..."

"Heeey, look, we're on TV!" Pinkiepie chirped.

"What? This was last Autumn. How do they know about that race? Are they spies?" Rainbowdash hissed.

Rarity and Fluttershy were slack jawed. "Does seem awful suspcious..." Applejack frowned. She narrowed her eyes at the screen.

"Does this mean they know about the pony world?" Twilight's voice begun to raise. "This means we can tell everyone where we come from! Maybe we can trade research! Perhaps we aren't the first visitors to this realm?"

Applejack rested a hand on Twilight's shoulder. "Hold on now sugarcube... we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves... it might all be a coincidence but I agree that we can't be sure."

"Turn it off! Turn it off!" Fluttershy squealed, who had just regained conciousness.

"Fine, jeez," Pinkiepie said. She changed the channel. "I'll be making popcorn if you need me. Feel free to choose another channel!" Singing, she hopped into the kitchen. "La, lala, lala..."

Rainbowdash and Applejack leaned forward on the edge of their seats. "Hey, this looks like a good show." Rainbowdash said.

Twilight shook off the last of her excitement. "W-well, I'm glad to see you two are getting along. Should I just leave it here!"

"I-if its not too much trouble..."

"Yep."

"Fine by me."

"T-twilight.. I'd actually like t-

"Perfect! I'm going to go take a nap." Twilight beamed.

"O-oh... okay..." Fluttershy slunk into the corner.

And the scores are 50 to 1 as the Bandicoots shoot a goal!

Rainbow and Applejack watched the show for a little bit. After about an hour, the soccer game ended. "Yes! Yes! In your face Bandicoots! North West Lions rule!"

"Darn ya lions." Applejack swore. "Bandicoots rule, lions drool.

"If its not so much trouble... um, could I please choose the channel now?" Flluttershy asked.

Rainbow shrugged. "Yeah, sure, go ahead." She got up.

"Um... where are you going?" Fluttershy asked.

"Feeling tired." Rainbow Dash said. She looked out the window at the dimming sky. "I'm going to hit the sack."

"Me too, Flutters. Go to bed when you want. Got to hit the hay and all..." Applejack smiled.

"O-oh... yeah... alright..." Fluttershy murmured. She looked down at her feet. As the door closed behind Applejack, she grabbed the remote and switched the channel and, as the words 'The Walking Dead' filled the screen, Fluttershy allowed herself a little smile.