• Published 9th Nov 2013
  • 14,525 Views, 329 Comments

Winds of the Past - Fantasia



A year before moving to Ponyville, before making friends... a certain rainbow-maned pegasus mare crashed through Twilight's window, and into her life. Left with bruises, and a case of amnesia, Twilight soon finds herself looking after the stranger.

  • ...
28
 329
 14,525

Days 201 - 326 - Friendship Lessons, Part 2

Day 201

Twilight nervously gulped.

She had really hoped she'd never have to wear skates again...

"Thanks again for helping me out here, Twi," Rainbow spoke up, her voice bringing Twilight back to consciousness.

"O-oh, uhm... N-no problem, Rainbow!" Twilight lost her footing for a quick moment before regaining it. "A-although Princess Celestia is already in the middle of c-changing the s-seasons, the ice still needs to be cut up to make it easier to thaw and I'm all the merrier to assist you in doing just that! N-not to mention I'm getting to experience ice skating again, a-and it never ceases to be thrilling!"

A good enough word as any to describe how she felt about it, she supposed.

"If not a little scary?" Rainbow surmised.

Twilight blinked. "W-why would you suggest—?"

"Twi," Rainbow said, cutting her off. She glanced back at her girlfriend, making a wry frown as she motioned with her eyes to the unicorn's own hooves—gripping carefully—but for dear life at the sides of her own sweater-clad body.

"O-oh, um...!" Twilight grinned, looking at how her forelegs were gripping Rainbow's sweater, and let out a sheepish chuckle. "S-so I guess I need a little help from my fiancée. We aren't all naturally awesome at everything, Rainbow. My brother helped me with my magic, and hay, I'll bet your parents helped you a lot when you first learned how to fly."

Rainbow chuckled at that. "No way," she declared, looking on proudly. "Something tells me I was always a natural-born flier. Top of my class!"

Twilight gasped softly, her eyes twinkling. "So we were both top students?"

"You know it!" she exclaimed, pushing off again... when a grating sound filled her ears, making her pause, her eyes narrowing. She raised an eyebrow as she glanced behind her once more, to see Twilight's hind skates clumsily scraping the ice.

Rainbow sighed, turning to look back at Twilight directly with a deadpan stare.

"Hm?" Twilight tilted her head, noticing the look Rainbow was giving her.

"Twi... You know you've got to learn to stand on your own, if you really want help with the ice."

"R-right," Twilight stammered, barely nodding her head in agreement. "Right... I mean, my hooves aren't even making a dent, are they?" She smiled as her hooves scuffled behind her frantically, in an attempt to firmly plant themselves into the ice.

Breathing out, Twilight withdrew one of her hooves from Rainbow's back for a quick moment, skating up beside her with a timid smile. "If it's all the same to you though," she said, placing one of her forehooves back, this time around Rainbow's shoulders, being wary of the blade. "I'd like to keep one of my hooves around you—for prosperity." Rainbow looked at her coyly, Twilight returning her own teasing smile. "I mean, I don't have wings like you do to keep balance with."

Rainbow blinked, looking over her shoulder at her wings, outstretched at her sides.

Her cheeks immediately reddened.

"R-right..." She chuckled and glanced on ahead. "W-well, if it's all the same to you, I'd like to keep a hoof around you too—for, er, well.." Rainbow thought about it, then shrugged and smiled slyly. "Because you're cute, that's why."

"Aw, look at you," Twilight teased. "Being charming, awkward and bashful—but mostly charming."

Her eyelids lowered, and she nuzzled her, Rainbow's blush deepening. "That's just the way I like you."

Rainbow swallowed hard as Twilight drew her muzzle away, now leaving her with no choice but to rely on her wings as she pushed herself and Twilight forward across the icy river with ease.


Day 210

"Kingdoms rise, kingdoms fall..."

Rainbow dramatically wept, leaning her head back as she held a foreleg over her eyes. "Such was the tragic tale of Princess Twilight Sparkle's, whose was dealt a devastating defeat by the Solar Empire of the Celestial Regime..."

"I... think you're being a little melodramatic here, Sweetie," Twilight remarked, standing beside her and watching her with an humored smile.

Rainbow turned to her appalled, letting out an exaggerated gasp as she pretended to take offense. "Twilight, please... This was our kingdom, our castle! Show a little respect for our fallen snowponies."

Twilight pursed her lips, raising an eyebrow as she turned her gaze away dryly, to that of the citizens and guards they had expertly crafted to stand at attention around their melting snow castle... now reduced to lumpy piles of snow with drooping carrots, and pieces of coal.

Their castle that once stood proud, now looked like melting ice cream among the melting snow and puddles of water... the familiar green grass once more poking on through.

She gave her eyes a roll, sighing briefly before deciding she'd play along.

"Oh, however will we cope?" She draping a foreleg over her forehead, and fell as if lightheaded, onto her girlfriend's back. She pouted her lips, peering up hopelessly at the mid-morning sun. "We'll have no choice but to... surrender our land, and... and all of our fine art will be seized, and...!" She gasped in horrid realization. "We will be assimilated into Canterlot society! We will be forced into being normal, a-and wearing fancy clothes, and... and attending snooty banquets!" She waved her forelegs dramatically about. "The horror! The absolute horro—!"

Rainbow burst out laughing, cutting her off... and leaving her more dumbstruck than anything.

"And... and you said that I was the one be... being melodramatic?" Rainbow asked between bouts of boisterous laughter, looking back at her all the while.

Twilight met her gaze, growing a little indignant. "I was only being dramatic because of you, Rainbow," she argued, Rainbow continuing to laugh softly as she climbed off of her back.

"Well, either way..." Rainbow wiped a pretend tear from her eye before looking on solemnly, a few last chuckles passing her lips. "I think I'm seriously going to miss this place..."

"Me too... Hey, at least we'll always have the memories... and I suppose there's always next year!" She leaned in, holding a hoof over her mouth. "Between you and me, I've already drawn up several schematics in my head, mapping the entire interior and courtyard—not to mention the tower spires, and thirteen different floors I have planned!"

She finished with a wide grin, looking at Rainbow with sparkles in her eyes.

Rainbow stared back at her blankly.

Thirteen... different... floors...?

She silently gulped, already beginning to feel her hooves go cold at the dreadful thought.

H-how capable does she think I am?!


Day 213

Rain trickled through Rainbow's fur, dripping from both her face and mane as she flew into the storm head on... facing the thunderstorm that brewed over the skies surrounding their tower home.

The beads of rain battered her body, but she kept going, bursting through the layer of storm clouds... and into the warming embrace of the sun.

She grinned, flinging her sopping mane from her face and relinquishing in the sunlight for but a moment longer, before swerving... and diving back towards the storm.

Twilight looked on intently from the road below, umbrella stretched out over her, and stopwatch beside her.

She bit her lip anxiously in anticipation of the outcome... praying to Celestia that this time her girlfriend would break the record she had set for herself.

"Come on, Rainbow..."

Rainbow tore through the clouds, taking out two at a time with her forelegs out by her sides, and a third with a swift butt of her head.

Sunlight began pouring through the multiple lanes she created, causing Twilight to squint as some of it shined down upon her.

She chopped the final cloud into water vapor with a mighty cry, then headed back to the ground, touching down and... soaking wet.

She softly caught her breath as she turned her gaze towards her girlfriend... silently telling her everything that she wanted to know.

Twilight looked back at her with a sorry look.

"...Ten point eighty—"

"Darn it!"

Rainbow kicked her foreleg in frustration, scuffing it across the pavement. "This was a bigger storm and everything, too..."

Rainbow... Twilight's brow creased in concern for her fiancée, and she hesitated before asking, "Why... is this record so important to you, Rainbow?"

Rainbow sighed out, grumbling, "I wish I knew..." Her shoulders slumped, her brow furrowing in contemplation. "Something in me just... strives to achieve this."

"Something in you?" Twilight repeated, questioningly.

"Yeah," she lamented, struggling to articulate what she was feeling. "Like... some part of me, deep down... wants to just... clear the sky in ten seconds flat..." She shrugged hopelessly. "A part of me that I don't even remember..."

Twilight nodded softly. "You did mention the other day how you had this... feeling... that you were always a natural born flyer. Top of your class."

Rainbow peered up at her with a halfhearted smile. "I'm pretty sure I was joking there, Twi..."

"Maybe you were," Twilight agreed. "But... that doesn't mean you weren't a great flyer. As much as you are prone to crashing," she added teasingly.

"Ha ha, Twi."

Rainbow's gaze sunk disparagingly.

"S-seriously though, Rainbow..." Twilight's expression softened, her lips forming a kind smile. "Maybe these are more than just feelings... Maybe these are clues to who you used to be. Maybe... maybe achieving this record of yours will help you to reclaim your old identity!"

Rainbow looked back at her in surprise, a small, hopeful smile now tugging at her lips.

"You... y-you think?"

Twilight nodded confidently. "I do," she replied, stepping forward, and taking a hoof of her girlfriend's in her own. "I believe this will help you to reclaim your memories, and..."

She leaned forward, lowering her eyelids as she brought her face forward, brushing the fur of her cheek lovingly against Rainbow's.

"I'll be here to help you every step of the way..."


Day 214

Rainbow checked the clock at the train station for the umpteenth time, standing on the platform by the train tracks. She frowned as she tapped a hoof impatiently, wondering what was keeping them.

I mean, Ponyville isn't that far away... She sighed as her gaze sunk, her fears and doubts beginning to take hold of her thoughts. Is it possible that they forgot about me, or... or don't care abou—?

The train platform began rumbling beneath her hooves, a train whistle alerting her to the presence of an incoming train... as if in response to her disparaging thoughts.

Her spirits slowly started to lift, a small, hopeful smile gracing her lips. Could it be...?

The train chugged into the station before stopping completely, the doors sliding open and ponies from Ponyville filed on out past her. Some of them looked familiar as they too seemed to recognize her, and turned to look the other way.

Rainbow however, remained undeterred, standing on the tips of her hooves to see over the flood of incoming ponies for a couple of pink manes.

Her face lit up upon seeing one pony in particular, with a butterscotch coat, and flowing pink mane, step out onto the platform. Fluttershy, she thought, her heart swelling in excitement. She took a step forward, when she froze... a scared look replacing her smile.

"Dashie!"

Oh no. She braced herself a second before being tackled by a pink blur, the two of them tumbling out into the street. The small clouds of dust around her settled, and she looked up in a daze as her vision came into focus.

A wide smile greeted her, belonging to an energized and ecstatic pink pony, standing in a peculiar pronking stance on top of her stomach.

"Hi Dashie!" she greeted cheerfully.

Rainbow stared back at her with a bemused smile. "H-hey, Pinks. It's, uh, good to see you again." A few seconds passed as she hid her discomfort, forcing a small grin up at Pinkie. "Um, do you think maybe you could get off of me please?"

"Hm?" Pinkie glanced down at her hooves. "Oh, no problemo, Dashie!"

She bounced into the air, coming back down beside her as Rainbow sucked in a quick, much-needed breath before gazing wearily to her left, where her friend now stood.

"Pinkie... remember what I said about the name Dashie?"

Pinkie grinned. "Nope!"

Rainbow rolled her eyes as she sat up. She rubbed the back of her neck and glanced up, her brow lifting at the sight of another pony standing meekly a few feet ahead of her.

She cocked her head to the side of her pink friend, and smiled invitingly. "Hey, Fluttershy."

Fluttershy rubbed her hoof along her other foreleg before replying in a voice so soft, "Hi, Dash."

"Sorry this visit has been a long time coming, I just, well..." Rainbow's shoulders deflated, and she smiled apologetically.

"Aw, it's okay, Dashie." Pinkie poked her head between the two of them. "We're sure you've just been caught up doing other things. With other ponies." She gave Rainbow a suggestive look.

Rainbow stared back dumbfounded, however.

Until the implication hit her anyway.

"Oh! Twi, right... Yeah, we, uh... have been sort of busy lately I guess, planning our future and whatnot..." She smiled fondly at the thought for a long moment before something else occurred to her, and she turned hastily towards Fluttershy.

"I'm sorry, Flutters. You have no idea who Twi is, do you? She's—"

"She's your special somepony... Isn't she, Rainbow?"

Rainbow blinked, stupefied. "Am I that obvious?"

Fluttershy shook her head. "Goodness no, I—!"

"I-it's okay, Fluttershy." Rainbow raised a hoof assuredly. "I'm easy to read, I know. And hay... as of recently, we're no longer just special someponies."

Rainbow's words caused Fluttershy's brow to raise, and for an alarm to go off inside Pinkie's head. She gasped, springing into the air. "Oh my gosh, you guys have to let me plan your wedding!"

Rainbow smiled, chuckling lightheartedly. "We'll see, Pinkie... we'll see."


"So how was Winter Wrap Up for you guys?" Rainbow asked, looking between her two friends as both she and Fluttershy walked—and Pinkie pronked—down a bustling street within the market district.

"Um, only nothing short of fantasti-mazing!" Pinkie replied, exclaiming the last bit in a sing-songy voice.

Rainbow chuckled at that. "That awesome, huh?"

"Though... there were a fair share of, um, hiccups," Fluttershy noted, grabbing her attention.

"Hiccups?" she asked.

"Oh, right..." Pinkie remembered, thinking back. "Like Ditsy flying West, when she was supposed to go South—to bring the birds back so they can roost, you know?"

Ponies do that sort of thing? Rainbow looked at her in surprise. I thought they flew back on their own? "Um..." She shrugged off the thought, and put on a nonchalant front. "Yeah, totally. Of course I remember that small detail." She grinned between the two. "Sorry, it's... been a while since I was a part of a Winter Wrap Up in Ponyville, and I was mostly seated on the ground for this one—save for me pushing around a cloud here and there."

"Well, there's always next year!" Pinkie proposed, Rainbow turning towards her. "Maybe you could even join ours next year. The townsfolk would undoubtedly appreciate it."

"Yeah," Rainbow scoffed, softly chuckling. "Maybe they'd finally start to warm up to me..."

Both her friends' ears lowered, Fluttershy peering over at her with a sorry expression... Pinkie frowning softly as her eyes averted.

"B-but, uh... hey!" Rainbow exclaimed, picking up on the awkward silence between them, and quickly changing the topic. "You mentioned Ditsy. How's that pony doing?" She turned to look back at Pinkie worriedly. "Has she made any friends? 'Cause when I last saw her, she seemed kind of down..."

Pinkie Pie blinked, lifting her head and meeting her friend's curious stare. "Oh, well..." A smile softly grew, putting her friend's mind at ease. "She seems to have made a friend in Doc. He's an inventor of all things sciency!"

"A scientist?" Rainbow repeated, taken aback. She looked on ahead, quietly musing, "Imagine that..."


"And now, introducing... Buffalo Bull's Amazing Wild West Show!"

The three friends sat together, idly watching the traveling rodeo after having discovered it while discussing things they could do to pass the time.

Pinkie in particular, held a stack of dishes a mile high in her hooves, and was eagerly stuffing her face full of sweets uncommon to that of Canterlot and Ponyville.

Rainbow watched her in stunned silence.

How come every time she comes to Canterlot, she wondered, with a bemused smile, she goes for the food...?

"Oh, wow..." Fluttershy uttered under her breath.

"What?" Rainbow asked, turning to her. "Did I miss something?"

"Oh, uhm... n-no. It's just... breathtaking. The finesse, and athleticism... I-it reminds me of that mare who works the apple orchards... Applejack."

"Ah, right..." Rainbow nodded solemnly. "Applejack..." She returned to snacking on the container of kettle corn she held in her hooves.

"I know you knew her better than I do," Fluttershy continued, "but... I still walk her dog Winona for her, sometimes..."

Rainbow looked back up, smiling over at her. "Well, you are good with animals."

"Thanks to you, I suppose..." Fluttershy gazed down at her hooves, thoughtfully.

I helped her...? Rainbow thought in slight surprise. "Er..." She hurried to think up a quick response. "I, uh... Y-yeah. Guess you just... needed a push in the right direction."

Fluttershy nodded barely, and soon the two had fallen into an awkward silence.

Rainbow returned to munching on her kettle corn.

Fluttershy meanwhile, pursed her lips as she debated saying something, feeling as though the growing silence was her fault.

"I'm sorry. This... isn't awkward for you... is it?" she asked worriedly, turning again to face her. "I... know you and Applejack never quite got off on the right hoof, but..."

Rainbow swallowed quickly before glancing up at her friend assuredly. "No no," she insisted. "It... It's okay; you can mention anypony you want, I mean... it is what it is."

Fluttershy stared at her friend for a moment longer, before nodding and sighing in relief. "Okay," she replied in her soft, whispery voice, looking back ahead. "I just..." She bit her bottom lip, turning again, and placing a hoof of hers on her friend's foreleg. "Things will get better in time, Dash. I, I mean, I... I'm no stranger to how ponies see you, but they don't know the pony I do, and... I wish I could just... force them to see you in a different light." She shrugged dishearteningly, adding, "If I was a different pony, that is, I mean... I could never force a pony to change—it would no doubt offend them. Hay, I... can't even bring myself to be strict with Zephyr..."

Rainbow cocked her head. "Zephyr?"

"Oh, come to think of it... he's going to be pretty disappointed to hear that you're already smitten with somepony..."

Why? Rainbow frowned as her mind slipped into thought. Did I have feelings for this... Zephyr? Was I dating him before I lost my memories?

"It's okay, though." Fluttershy's voice snapped her from her thoughts. "You never seemed to reciprocate his, uhm... feelings."

A small wave of relief washed over Rainbow. Whew... she thought with a smile.

"Yeah... we both used to find him so frustrating, didn't we?" Fluttershy remarked, noticing her friend's smile. "I could never dislike him though, I mean... he's my brother, so..."

Brother? Rainbow thought, taken aback. Well what do you know...

"In either case... my voice will never be heard above the majority of ponies, but... I just hope the ponies of Ponyville learn to one day forgive you because really, you were never the pony they still make you out to be, and really it just.. makes me so peeved, I just...!" Her hooves clenched. "I just..." Her shoulders slumped, Her anger depleting.

Her gaze fell in frustration.

Rainbow's eyes all the while were wide. Fluttershy... She swallowed hard, then smiled gently, setting a hoof of hers over Fluttershy's. "Hey... chin up, pal. You're kind, alright? Probably the kindest pony I know... and that's nothing to be ashamed of, because it's a rare thing. Twi says it's like common sense. A lot of ponies just don't seem to be able to... rationalize, or... respect one another anymore. They don't see us as equals, with feelings and minds of our own, like... I get it; I was just like that. I was a bully—"

Fluttershy looked up at her in shock. "You were never a bully, Dash—!"

"I got a kick outta messing with ponies, didn't I? Because I couldn't find the joy in the things made to entertain us? Instead, no," Rainbow murmured bitterly, "ponies were toys to me, weren't they? I..." Her voice quivered, and she tore her eyes away from her friend. "I pushed you around, didn't I?"

Fluttershy shook her head, insistent. "No, never!"

Rainbow's ears perked up, and she lifted her now hopeful gaze.

"Er, well..."

Rainbow's ear flopped back down.

"Maybe you did pull a few nasty pranks—" Pinkie's ears twitched at the remark.

She finished scarfing down the last of her peach crisp, and cut in, "I always told her it wasn't a smart idea."

The two turned to deadpan at their friend, Pinkie shrugging her shoulders. "Just saying."

She went back to stuffing her face, Rainbow and Fluttershy returning to their conversation.

"B-but I know you never meant anything by them, Dash. Deep down, I knew you had a heart, you were just... protective of it." Fluttershy shrugged. "Protective of who got to see the real you... And," she stressed the last bit, "any cruel thing you did... was because of the things we went through as children. I became shier, and you became, well..."

"A little rough around the edges?" Rainbow guessed, brandishing a slight smile. "Well, be that as it may..." She averted her gaze away. "That doesn't stop them from judging us. They don't care what we've been through, only that I was a jerk, and jerks are never forgiven. Hay, why should they be? They betray our trust, and hurt who we are."

"But you're not a 'jerk' anymore, Dash," Fluttershy insisted, then backpedaled. "N-not that you ever were, I was just—"

Rainbow shook her head.

"Doesn't matter," she argued plainly. "Once a jerk, always a jerk."

Fluttershy gazed down at her hooves, thinking maybe that her friend was right.

"Ponies can be so stubborn sometimes," she murmured.

Rainbow shrugged indifferently. "They're just being protective—but hay, I can't complain. I'm stubborn, and protective too. You said it yourself."

"Y-yes, but... Oh, if I didn't know you so well, I'd say you should just... forget about trying to win everypony over."

Rainbow looked up at her, surprised that her friend would even suggest such a thing.

"You have a new life, you... you live here now," Fluttershy continued, then nodded begrudgingly. "You're not a quitter though, I know."

She gazed back down at her hooves, Rainbow shrugging once more.

"I just... want everypony to see the real me," she said simply.

"I know you do, Rainbow Dash."

A moment of silence passed between them.

"Ah, don't worry, Flutters," Rainbow said, putting on a grin, and giving her friend a friendly tap on the foreleg. "We all just... gotta keep moving forward. It's what I try and tell myself. Don't dwell too much on the negative... and have confidence that everything will work itself out in the end."

"Oh, well..." Fluttershy shrunk back, her face hiding behind her mane as she played with a bit of her mane, twirling it around the tip of her hoof. "You know I've never been very confident..."

"I changed for the better, Fluttershy. Maybe someday... you will too."

Fluttershy's hoof froze, and she looked back at her, hopeful. "You think?"

Rainbow nodded, looking on ahead. "Who knows what the future has in store for us," she mused.

The show soon fizzled to a close, as did the crux of their hushed conversation.

As other ponies got up to leave, Rainbow arched her back, stretching out her forelegs before dropping them lazily at her sides, letting out a sigh of contentment.

"Alright, well... the day's still young. What's say we hit up the arcade, play some Gauntlet..."

Fluttershy averted her gaze away in a moment of uncertainty.

"Or," Rainbow offered, picking up on her friend's hesitation, "me and Pinkie can play Gauntlet instead."

"Oh, sure! I've always loved the dungeon siege, Ogres and Oubliettes type of games." remarked Pinkie, with a mouthful.

Rainbow turned to her with a bemused smile. "Yeah, I... sort of got into them myself lately."

She turned back to Fluttershy. "We could play some Bubble Bobble, or... hay, there's a lot of games to pick from!"

Fluttershy softly shook her head, politely insisting, "Today's all about you, Rainbow Dash. I'm up for whatever, but... thanks for thinking of me."

Rainbow smiled back at her.

"Anytime."

They got up from their seats in the park grass, Pinkie filling an empty wastebasket to the brim with empty containers.

"Where does she put it all?" Rainbow murmured as she stared in astonishment.

"I never knew you to be all that into games, Rainbow," Fluttershy mentioned, capturing her friend's attention. "I mean, I knew you liked them, I just... thought you'd want to do something more... athletically-inclined—l-like, um... buckball."

Rainbow stared back at her with a mystified look. "Buck... ball?" she uttered, then shook the thought from her head. "Yeah, well... y-you know... That was just the old me looking for attention."

She pumped her hoof by her side in determination, bearing a confident grin.

"I thought I'd try training my brain for a change."


Rainbow crept quietly into her bedroom, taking into consideration her fiancée who was already under the covers, her back to her.

She slipped into their bed, sinking further down until warm and snug, sighing out softly in contentment.

"Mm... Rainbow?"

Rainbow's eyes flew open, her heart skipping a beat. "T-Twi? You're awake?"

"I'm a light sleeper, Rainbow," Twilight murmured as she stirred awake, "you know that."

She rolled over to face her girlfriend, greeting her with a slight smile.

"R-right, sorry," Rainbow apologized. "My mind is still sorta hung up on the day I had."

"And what kind of day did you have?"

"We caught the tail end of a country show, and played a bunch of different games at the arcade—"

Twilight pointed a sudden hoof into her chest. "You didn't spend all day at the arcade, did you?" she chastised.

"N-no, no, I..." Rainbow swallowed hard, blinking a couple times before clarifying, "We did other things too, like..." She glanced toward the ceiling and mumbled sheepishly, "Talk, and catch up... see the sights... Lame, I know."

Twilight pursed her lips in response.

"Not entirely," she replied, then shook her head... smiling softly. "They're friends of yours that you haven't seen in months, Rainbow. There's no shame in shooting the breeze with them, or showing them what this city has to offer. Hay, if you ever take me to see Ponyville..." She moved in to nuzzle the side of her face. "I'd love to just walk around with you... and take in all there is to see."

"I'll... keep that in mind, Twi."

Rainbow lovingly nuzzled her back.

"So what was your day like?" she asked as she did.

Twilight averted her eyes, shrugging her shoulders.

"Eh."

"Eh?"

Rainbow leaned back, looking at her skeptically. "What do you mean, eh?"

"I spent the day with Spike and Moon Dancer. We visited a couple of different bookstores, saw a movie, ate dinner, and maybe spoiled Spike a little... but other than that, it wasn't really all that eventful."

Sounds eventful, mused Rainbow, then shook the thought from her head. "You know you always could have hung out with me and the girls."

"I know I could have, but... I really wanted you to have time to yourself, you know? Besides..." Twilight closed her eyes, smiling contently as she rested her head on her girlfriend's chest... wrapping her hooves around her like she were hugging a pillow. "You and I will be spending this entire weekend together."

A figurative light bulb went off over Rainbow's head as Twilight herself got comfortable.

"That's right..." she softly uttered in realization, the fact having slipped her mind. I had almost forgot...

Her face broke out into a wide grin.

"Here's to Do Con!"


Day 216

Spike watched his two friends from their bedroom entrance with a skeptical look. "So you guys are seriously going to the convention dressed in those costumes?"

"Cosplay, Spike," Twilight corrected. "These are higher quality than your typical Nightmare Night costumes."

Twilight's tongue poked out from between her lips in concentration as she levitated the gold-colored collar necklace over her head, giving it a brief adjustment so that it sat comfortably around her neck. The surfaces of the crown-shaped bracelets caught glimmers of sunlight and reflected across the room as she strapped one to each of her forelegs.

The final piece before she was ready, was a single, round earring she looped around her right ear.

"I'm all for the idea of dressing up as characters you admire, Twilight. I just... Don't you think you sort of overdid it?"

Twilight cocked her head, feeling a few butterflies begin to form internally. "What... do you mean, Spike?"

"I mean..." He pointed a claw at her tail, which had been braided, and weaved through a couple of paper towel tubes painted blue. At the end was one of his dish gloves, inflated and painted blue as well, held securely to the tube by a third bracelet. "And also..." He lifted a claw to his own face as he cracked a toothy grin, in reference to the painted fangs on her lips.

Twilight's ears flopped a little, and she blushed, her face adorning a sheepish smile.

"And don't even get me started on those floppy hands and paws that you're wearing."

"Come on, Spike... She looks awesome."

Rainbow adjusted the pith helmet on her head as she stepped up beside her girlfriend, wearing nothing more than a green safari shirt, with the sleeves rolled up, and a pair of compass decals on her flanks.

"It'll be worth it, Spike. She looks a lot like Ahuizotl, and is totally going to be the center of attention! I mean, it's not every year you see an Ahuizotl cosplayer. Er, probably." Rainbow grinned, throwing a foreleg around Twilight's shoulders, pulling her closer. "We're totally gonna win the cosplay contest, aren't we, Twi?"

She looked over at her excitedly, Twilight giving her a coy look in return.

"We'll see, Rainbow, because these are fans we'll be up against. I expect that a lot of them will have put so much time and effort into their costumes too."

"Yeeaah, okay, I suppose... but they're not us."

Twilight's lips formed a sly smirk at her remark.

"Um, one more thing, guys," Spike spoke up, lifting a claw in thought. "The convention's a long ways away, right? Shouldn't you wait until you get there to get dressed up? I mean, after the fuss you've made in the past—"

"Should be left in the past, Spike. I'm a changed mare! Though..." Twilight shrunk back, thinking it over. "It is embarrassing going out like this... Luckily the convention is being held in Canterlot Castle this year."

Spike stared back at her in disbelief. "Seriously?"

"Mhm." Twilight nodded simply.

His brow creased. "Why?"

Twilight froze. Why? she thought, wondering about it herself. "W-well... why not, Spike?" she replied. "I mean, Canterlot is like, the birthplace of Daring Do. The movie premiered here, the books are printed here..."

"Speaking of the film," Rainbow cut in, "can you believe that Chestnut Magnifico is going to be there?"

"Oh we just have to get a picture with her!" gushed Twilight.

"Not to mention her autograph!"

"Well, naturally."

"Guys..." Spike deadpanned. "I'm still here."

Twilight and Rainbow blinked, then broke out in soft laughter.

"S-sorry, Spike, but... but hay—it's not like you've never geeked out before yourself."

Spike crossed his arms, cracking a slight smile of his own. "Fair enough."

"So what do you say we get going?" Twilight suggested to Rainbow, before glancing up at their bedroom clock. "Our ride should be here any minute."

"Ride?" Spike asked, looking down at them questioningly.

"We're friends of the princesses, Spike," explained Rainbow with a growing grin.

"We travel in style!"


"This is so awesome!"

Twilight held out her autographed picture before her, a giddy smile plastered on her lips as she suspended it with her magic.

Rainbow tucked hers under her wing before turning her attention back to her girlfriend, playfully elbowing her side. "Told you it would be!"

Their attention soon shifted to a couple conventioneers as they wandered up to them.

"Excuse us. We just love your costumes, and were wondering if we could trouble you for a picture?"

Rainbow exchanged a quick look with Twilight before they each responded with an enthusiastic nod.

"Totally!"

They struck poses—Rainbow's being cool, and Twilight's imposing as she crouched forward. The flash went off, and the two ponies nodded, thanking them once more before trotting off.

Twilight's eyes sparkled all the while in awe.

"They love us—! Er, well... they love our costumes, b-but still!"

"See?" Rainbow teased. "Who was right all along?"

Twilight smiled and rolled her eyes as she glanced away, her and Rainbow continuing through the vendor's alley... when her eyes spotted something that made her gasp.

She held out a foreleg in front of Rainbow, stopping her where she stood.

"Oh my gosh... Is that the Limited Edition Koumabukiya statue of Daring wielding all three Flankara Relics atop Mount Vehoovius? That was a Manhatten Do Con exclusive!"

Rainbow's brow creased, looking over at what had caught her girlfriend's attention, then raised an eyebrow as she turned back to her dubiously.

"Twi... you're beginning to sound like Moon Dancer. How do you even know that's an exclusive?"

"Hm? No, it... says so on the corner of the box," she explained plainly, pointing to the sticker on the upper corner of the box.

"Ah."

"It's sooo finely detailed..." murmured Twilight, mesmerized by its craftsmanship. "Excuse me for a moment, Rainbow." She grinned as she excused herself, sheepishly backing away, before turning... Rainbow watching with a soft, humored smile as her fiancée cantered on over to the salespony.

"Excuse me? Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow jumped slightly, turning in surprise at the sound of her name being said, Who—?

"I never thought I'd see you at a convention," the mystery mare continued, dressed from head to hoof in a similar-to-her-own Daring Do costume.

Whoever it was... she reminded her somewhat of Pinkie Pie.

"I'm Berryshine," the pony greeted. "From Ponyville. You remember me, don't you?"

Rainbow's lips parted to reveal a nervous grin. "H-how could I forget?"

She silently gulped, her eyes darting from left to right.

"I didn't know you were into Daring Do!" Berryshine continued on, oblivious to her distress. "Me personally, I love it almost as much as I love cider."

She winked, cuing Rainbow to smile knowingly. "I hear that. Seriously though, my girlfriend's more into it than I am."

"She's the Ahuizotl cosplayer, isn't she?" Berryshine gave Rainbow a sideways glance before nudging her side. "Nice catch."

"Um, thanks..." Rainbow murmured, returning the glance for a second before furrowing her brow in thought, and bringing a hoof to rub the back of her neck anxiously. "Listen, uh... if you don't mind me saying this, Berryshine... Why are you being so nice to me?"

Her words piqued Berryshine's curiosity as she turned to face the pegasus. "What do you mean by that?"

Rainbow sighed. "I mean... You said it yourself: you're from Ponyville. You used to know me. so..." Her ears flopped as she looked to the ground. "I figured you'd want nothing to do with me..."

Berryshine stared back at her vacantly for a long moment.

"Oooohhh!" she finally replied, drawing out her realization of just what her fellow conventioneer was referring to. "Right, well..." She laughed meekly. "If you were still your egocentric, self-centered, grouchy self... Then yeah, I wouldn't."

Rainbow's expression saddened even further.

"But you're like, totally unrecognizable now!" Berryshine continued, giving Rainbow a playful tap on the shoulder.

Rainbow lifted her head, taken aback... her eyes slowly widening.

"I can tell just from looking at you, that you're somepony who'd be a blast to hang out with—and not just because you're into something that I'm into. You seem kinder, more considerate... You haven't cut me off once this entire time—a-and just look at...!"

She held out her foreleg towards Twilight, her name on the tip of her tongue.

Rainbow deadpanned. "Twilight."

"Twilight!" Berryshine exclaimed, "She's practically glowing she's so happy!"

Rainbow blinked, staring blankly at Berryshine, then back at Twilight.

"I'd do anything to make her happy, Berry. Really, you... have her to thank for turning my life around."

It was now Berryshine's turn to be dumbstruck as she lifted her brow back at Rainbow.

"Really...?"

"Well..." Rainbow thought it over, looking back at her with a timid grin. "She played a part."

"Huh."

Berryshine nodded slowly, slipping into silence as Twilight turned from the table with a satisfied look.

"Alright, it'll be delivered in a few days from now, where it'll be paid for in full— oh, hello," greeted Twilight, taking note of the unfamiliar mare standing beside her girlfriend.

"Hi, Twilight!" exclaimed Berryshine, extending a friendly hoof. "It's nice to meet you. You look great, by the way."

"Oh, uhm..." Twilight returned the hoofshake. "Thanks, but..." She cocked her head. "Do I know you?"

"You do now!"

Rainbow smiled, shaking her head. "This is Berryshine, Twi. She's a, uh... friend, f-from Ponyville."

"Oh! Well... any friend of Rainbow's... is a potential friend of mine!"

Berryshine deadpanned. Potential?

Twilight leaned in close to her girlfriend, slyly whispering, "And here you had me thinking that you didn't have a lot of Ponyville friends."

Rainbow internally panicked, searching her mind for something to tell her. "I-I, uh..."

Berryshine frowned.

"Well..." she cut in, a feeling of awkwardness beginning to set in. The two of them turned their attention towards her, Rainbow appearing more relieved than anything as she breathed out a quick sigh of relief under her breath. "I don't want to keep you two— I just couldn't help but say 'hi' when I saw you."

"You know you're free to join us, Berryshine," remarked Twilight... Berryshine smiling appreciatively at her kind invitation.

"Thanks, but... I know I'd just end up being a third wheel."

Third wheel? wondered Twilight.

"I hope you both enjoy the rest of the con though!" She lifted her hoof back at them as she turned halfway. "Maybe we'll bump into one another again?"

"Maybe, Berry," Rainbow agreed with a slight nod, returning the wave goodbye.

Berryshine soon disappeared into the crowds of ponies, leaving the two of them to discuss where to go next.

"So," Twilight proposed, flipping through their convention pamphlet, "what do you say we hit up the Search for the Sapphire Statue? Apparently it's an event where some of the halls have been transformed into an obstacle course, and at the end of them lies an actual sapphire statue. It also just so happens to be a team exercise, and this mare just so happens to have spent some time here in this very castle when she was a filly."

"So, what you're saying is... We have the home-court advantage."

"I think?" Twilight's brow creased in worry, as she gazed over apologetically at her girlfriend. "That's sports terminology, isn't it? Sorry... That's an area of expertise I'm not quite familiar with... but I suppose it's an apt enough analogy."

Rainbow stared back at her dryly.

"Yes," she assured herself with a confident nod, "with my magic, and your speed... we just might stand a chance..." She closed the pamphlet, tucking it safety away. "It's entirely up to you though, Rainbow. What do you say?"

"I say the other teams should watch out!" She turned to Twilight with a determined grin. "'Cause when the two of us are together, there's nothing that we can't accomplish!"


Twilight held out their imitation Sapphire Statue before her eyes, the statue itself being levitated inside of a soft, orchid aura.

She smiled up at it adoringly.

The moon was in full bloom, the street lamps emitting a warm, golden glow as she walked alongside Rainbow down the late-night city street to their tower home.

The streets themselves were mostly bare—save for other conventioneers as they either walked home, or headed for the nearest hotel. The convention itself had lasted well into the night, the hustle and bustle of the daytime having come and gone.

Of course, what ponies thought of her silly costume was the last thing on her mind. No... she simply wanted to enjoy a nice stroll, with her girlfriend beside her, in the calming peace of the night. The cool springtime air worked wonders on her mood, feeling so good on her fur after the tiring day the two of them had had.

She and Rainbow would no doubt have to shower when they eventually got out of their costumes, but for the time being... that was the least of their worries.

"I can't believe they actually let us keep this..."

"Heh... I can! I mean..." Rainbow grinned, lightly elbowing her side. "Isn't it obvious? It's 'cause we were so awesome today!"

Twilight giggled at her girlfriend's optimism. "I'm pret-ty sure they just wanted it taken off their hooves, Rainbow."

Rainbow shook her head, turning back ahead triumphantly. "Yeeaah, no. You can tell yourself that all you want, Twi, but I'm gonna choose to believe it was because we're so awesome!"

Twilight rolled her eyes before leaning her head over to nuzzle her, smiling tenderly.

"Yes, Rainbow, we are. One thing is for certain though—" She drew her head back, looking back with a fond smile at her complementary saddlebag. "—and that's that we undoubtedly earned this one."

Rainbow looked back as well, softly grinning at the sight of their cosplay trophy sticking out from under the saddlebag flap.

"What'd I tell you, Twi? I knew we would."

"I saw you sweating up there on stage," teased Twilight, seeing right through her mask of bravado.

Rainbow's heartbeat skipped, her eyes widening.

"T-those overhead lights were hot, Twi, yeesh..." She averted her nervous gaze, Twilight giggling at how flustered the pegasus was becoming.

"Okay, okay... Well, in either case... today was truly wonderful." She pressed her lips to her girlfriend's cheek, kissing it before whispering sweetly, "Thank you, Rainbow."

Rainbow snorted in amusement, her face heating up. "What, you didn't seriously think I'd leave you hanging, did you?"

"Mm mm," replied Twilight, softly giving her head a shake. "I know you wouldn't."

The two soon approached their home, coming to a stop before the front steps and shrubbery that decorated the exterior.

Both of them peered up solemnly at the winding stairway in thought.

"What kind of a day do you think Spike had?"

"Well, I guess we'll just have to ask him," Twilight supposed, before she then backpedaled. "If he's even home. We never did ask him, did we? I mean, he might be with Moon Dancer for all we know."

"Yeah..." Rainbow rubbed the back of her neck anxiously. "We should probably keep better track of stuff like that. Though, then again, he is a growing dragon..."

Twilight nodded. "Mm hm. Sort of makes me realize that he won't be with us forever, I mean... we're going to be married soon! Spike says he'll be there for us, but, well... can't count on him forever, I suppose..."

"Aw, come on, Twi... give a mare some credit, I mean... I can provide for the both of us!"

"Really?" asked Twilight, genuinely surprised. "You know how to cook?"

"Er, w-well I..." She gulped, shrinking back. "Know how to order takeout."

Twilight rolled her eyes, a humored smile on her lips as she nodded her head forward. "Come on, featherbrain... Let's get out of these costumes and makeup, and relax a little."

"Sounds good to me!" Rainbow nodded enthusiastically, following after her fiancée.

"You know... Speaking of our wedding..." Twilight looked over at her to make sure of something important. "Our wedding preparations officially start next week. We'll be meeting with the girls, and my parents will be there too, and... ever since I mentioned my engagement to them, they, uhm... really want to talk with you. You, um... haven't forgotten, have you, Rainbow?" she asked, looking to her with a hopeful expression.

Er... Rainbow grinned back at her nervously. "H-how could I forget?"

"It'll be okay though, Rainbow. You've met them before, and I'm pretty sure they like you! I mean, hay... My mom already approves of me dating you, and I'm certain that Dad just wants to make sure that you're the right pony for me. I mean, I already know you are, but... ah, well... You know how dads ar—"

She caught herself, her eyes widening in embarrassment, before sheepishly turning towards her girlfriend, her ears flopping ashamedly. "S-sorry..."

She smiled apologetically, Rainbow looking off as she nodded slightly. "Mhm."

An awkward moment passed between them in silence.

"So, ah..." Twilight cleared her throat, returning to the topic at hoof. "You'll be alright, won't you?"

"Heh..." Rainbow turned back to her, putting on a brave face. "You know me, Twi. Of course I will!"

Twilight nodded happily, content with her answer as she cantered on ahead... leaving Rainbow to stew over the fact.

She looked off, breathing out shakily.

Oh boy...


Day 221

"So your friend really slapped you, Lyra?"

"It was just with her tail, girls. It stung more knowing she was mad at me."

"But you're all good now, right?" Minuette asked.

"She came around eventually. We were always too good of friends to not want to work things out."

Lemon wriggled her eyebrows. "And you're still just friends, eh?"

Lyra turned red, and smiled bashfully. "I don't know what you're talking about, Lemon." A sheepish laugh followed suit.

"Well," Twinkleshine said, taking charge of the conversation, "in either case... One thing's for certain, and that's that one of our best friends—"

"Girls..." Twilight insisted, raising a hoof partway. "Please... it's no big—"

"Is getting married! And thanks to Moon Dancer, we're finally all together to make it happen!"

The others all nodded as they sat seated around a table at Doughnut Joe's, each with a cupcake of their own.

"I must admit," she went on to say, "when the two of you hooked up after like, a week, well... we doubted it would last."

"I mean, you're like, total opposites!" Minuette added.

"They're more alike than you know, girls," Moon Dancer murmured, glancing at them sourly from the corner of her eye.

"Thanks, Moon Dancer, but... it's alright. I had doubts myself, all those months ago..." Twilight gazed down solemnly, into the pages of her open book on wedding planning. "Regardless, I'd like to thank all of you for being here today." She looked to each of them with a thankful smile. "It truly means a lot, since this is the first big step in legitimizing our relationship. I mean, I've been planning this for months, but haven't actually made any serious headway until now."

"Well, that's why we're here!" Lemon exclaimed.

"Aaaand... let me just add that this is also the first time we've all been together since school," Moon Dancer noted. "I think such an occasion is worth capturing."

She winked over at Spike, cluing him in.

"Oh. um..." He sat up immediately from his slouched position, head resting in his palm.

Twi's folks want to photograph every aspect of their wedding anyway, but... He grabbed the camera from the table, and readied himself to snap a pic. This one's for you, Moon.

"So, we'll get to be your bridesmaids... won't we, Twilight?" Twinkleshine asked.

"Well, I..." Twilight glanced between them, taking in the looks of eagerness on all the girls' faces. "O-of course."

Minuette clapped her front hooves together. "We get to be bridesmaids!"

The others shared in her excitement as Moon Dancer tried desperately to grab their attention.

"Girls, Spike's about to take our picture and you have frosting on your muzzles... and Twilight, you—!"

A bright flash went off, shutting her up.

She blinked, slowly turning towards Spike, who bore a sorry smile on his face.

"It ah, went off quicker than I thought it would. I'm uh, not sure if we can do a do over, I mean... they're trying to save film, so..."

Moon Dancer shrugged it off, calling back to him, "It's okay, Spike."

Twilight's ear twitched, and she gazed up from her book in confusion.

"Was Spike taking our picture? I'm sorry, I didn't—" Her ears flopped ashamedly, and she averted her eyes.

Moon Dancer was quick to react, reaching out to her, and setting a hoof over her shoulder reassuringly.

"It's no biggie. Twilight. The memory matters more than the picture itself, anyway."

"I still feel bad, Moon Dancer."

Moon Dancer smiled. "Seriously, it—"

"How would you like to be my maid of honor?"

Everypony at the table stopped chitchatting, turning to look at the two of them.

Moon Dancer's open jaw snapped shut, and she pushed her glasses back up her muzzle. "You're serious."

Twilight smiled kindly, setting her book down before holding out her foreleg, inviting her in for a hug. "I can't think of anypony better suited."

"Maaan..." Minuette's gaze turned sour. "I'm jealous..."

"Don't be so ungrateful, Minuette," Twinkleshine scolded, lightly shoving her friend's shoulder.

"I won't let you down, Twilight." promised Moon Dancer, as she pulled away. "So, um... what were you reading earlier that had you so engrossed, anyway?"

"Not engrossed, Moon Dancer—frustrated. I mean, this guide on weddings goes on about both bachelor and bachelorette parties—this was clearly written for heterosexual couples, but... why would I ever want to celebrate not being married? It's not like marrying one another is going to hold either one of us down."

"Well, I... think it's more of a 'last night of freedom before kids come along' sort of thing."

"Oh, well... if that's the case, Rainbow and I don't need to worry."

"Really?" Twinkleshine pressed. "The two of you wouldn't consider adoption?"

Her words struck her hard... leaving her speechless for a moment.

"I, uh... h-hadn't considered that, Twinkleshine. To be honest, that's... certainly a possibility."

Their faces lit up briefly before Twilight held up a hoof, stopping the three of them before they got too giddy.

"I'm not saying we will though!" she blurted forth, feeling her ears and face begin to get a little hot. "I mean..." She gazed down at the table, her voice softening. "If the situation ever arose... we'd think about it. Really though, we're... just too young to be parents, a-and I'm still looking after Spike..."

A long moment passed before any of them spoke up again.

"So... no parties before the ceremony then. How about after?" Minuette asked.

Twilight's head perked right back up. "Oh, definitely after. Spike wanted to host anyway, and plus Rainbow and I talked about having one of her friends put the whole thing together. She's this huge party planner from Ponyville."

"Pinkie Pie?"

Twilight lifted her brow. "You know her?"

"Mhm!" Minuette nodded. "Totally."

"Huh... Guess the world's a smaller place than I thought."

Twinkleshine bit her lip, switching between the two of them anxiously. "We can still help!" she insisted. "Tell us everything you'd like, and we'll tell Pinkie when we see her, won't we, girls?"

The others all nodded their heads in agreement.

"Mhm!"

"Well, I... Gee, girls, I... Rainbow and I would really appreciate that."

Twinkleshine clapped her front hooves together. "Awesome! So, what colors would you like the decorations to be?"

"Hm..." Twilight brought a hoof to her chin, giving it some thought. "Well I've always liked red the most when it comes to colors..."

"Red, got it—"

"B-but really, any warm color is fine!"

Twinkleshine's smile fell, and she cocked her head as her mind retracted her earlier statement. "Oh kay..."

"Sorry." Twilight shrunk back, bearing a meek smile. "I'm persnickety, I know."

Twinkleshine shrugged it off.

"Hey, it's your wedding, Twilight; you have the right to be choosy. Now, how about food?"

"Hayburgers and horseshoe fries are fine," Twilight answered plainly, glancing up only to meet her friends'appalled faces.

"What?"

"Twilight," Lemon Hearts began with a shake of her head; "you can't serve burgers—"

"Actually," Twilight cut in, "I was thinking we'd order them, and have them delivered."

"Twilight," Minuette stated sternly. "I love burgers too, but... at a wedding? That's just tacky, Twilight."

Tacky? questioned Twilight, forming an angry pout. "You said I could afford to be choosy!"

"Well, yes, but... Argh, fine." None of this is worth getting into an argument over, Twinkleshine decided, breathing in, and then out deeply. "What about desserts, Twilight? Besides the wedding cake of course."

Twilight eased up, her expression softening. "Cookies and donuts," she answered. "Rainbow and I don't really like pie so that's out of the question."

"How about truffles?" Twinkleshine asked. "Fritters? Cobbler? Caramelized pecan bites?"

"No, nuh-uh, nope, no way."

"Chocolate, or cheese fondue?"

Twilight's expression became horrified. "Oh gosh no!"

"Twilight..." Twinkleshine slumped forward, propping her temple up by her hoof. "Think of your guests..."

"I am!"

She huffed, gazing over to where her parents and fiancée were seated at the opposite end of the restaurant. I hope Rainbow's having an easier time than I am right now...


Rainbow sat up straight, a nervous grin plastered on her face.

"Stay strong, Sweetheart," she heard Twilight call over to her, from across the restaurant.

She swallowed nervously, glancing over at Twilight for a brief second before returning to her parents. G-gee, thanks...

"My daughter seems so enamored with you, Rainbow Dash," Night Light remarked, leaning forward and holding his hooves together. "Now, we've met before, back when Twilight was never really interested in anypony, romantically or otherwise. So, what was it about you that changed that?"

"W-well I, uh... I-I guess we sorta just... had this connection straight from the get-go, Sir. We, ah, knew that we needed one another in our lives... you know? Then things only escalated from there."

"Escalated?" He raised an eyebrow.

"I-in that we started going on dates, growing closer... that sort of stuff. I mean, it, it's not like we've been having sex or anything!" she added with an awkward laugh.

Twilight's parents deadpanned back at her.

Smooth one, Rainbow, she groaned internally.

"I'll... take your word for it," Night Light replied, moving ahead with his next question.

"What are you doing for a living nowadays, Dash?"

"Oh, Honey..." Twilight Velvet placed a hoof over his. "That shouldn't matter."

Night Light weakened at his wife's touch.

"I just want to make sure that our daughter's own fiancée has a respectable career, Dear," he tried to explain.

Twilight Velvet however, shook her head. "Need I remind you that you were working at this very restaurant when we first met?"

"I, uh..."

"I used to come in during the evenings with my typewriter, and he'd be working the tables," Velvet explained as she turned to Rainbow, Rainbow perking up intently. "That might've been something the rich and elite would scoff at, but not me, because I saw you for who you were... and not for how rich or poor you were. Remember my parents' reaction to me announcing our relationship?"

Night Light averted his eyes, ears flopping. "Don't remind me..." he grumbled.

"They said I should marry somepony wealthy... that I was making a mistake... but the only mistake would have been not following my heart." She lowered her eyelids, nuzzling the side of his neck. "And now we have two wonderful kids, and more than enough funds to last us the rest of our lives..."

She pulled back with a loving gaze. "You never really know what the pony you fall in love with will make of themselves."

Rainbow smiled warmly, nodding in agreement.

"W-well, um... I push clouds around, Mr. Light—to answer your question. I know it's not much, but it's a living... and apparently Canterlot needs ponies like me, so..."

"It's a high-paying job for that exact reason, isn't it?"

Rainbow nodded. "Yes, Sir, it is."

"And... you don't gamble it away, or anything like that, do you?"

"N-no!" she exclaimed, exasperated. "No, I, ah... deposit it all under Twi's name to help her pay for things, though... sometimes I'll buy books or movie tickets, spend some at the arcade, on gifts for my friends, or on Wonderbolts stuff..." She stopped herself, realizing how much she was rattling off. "R-really though, I spend a lot of it on spoiling your daughter—er... you're okay with that... right?"

She rubbed the back of her neck, peering back at the two of them with a meek smile.

Twilight Velvet gave a gentle smile, placing her hoof over Rainbow's free one reassuringly. "We signed her up for the most prestigious magic school in the kingdom, Rainbow. We're no strangers to spoiling her, just... don't take it too far. We want her to live comfortably, but also to understand the value of hard work."

"Oh, Twi and me already understand the value of hard work, Mrs. Velvet. I mean... we both wanna be somepony important! I've already got my sights set on being a Wonderbolt, but we don't exactly expect these sort of things to just... fall into our lap."

"Well it certainly warms my heart knowing that Twilight is still aiming high," Velvet quietly mused, "ever since she saw Princess Celestia raise the sun all those years ago..."

"So... you wish to be an entertainer?" Night Light asked her.

Rainbow beamed enthusiastically. "Yes, Sir! A Wonderbolt!"

"And what brought this on?"

"Oh, well..." Her excitement slowly dwindled as she gave the question some thought. "Our first date was sorta this Wonderbolts show, and the show brought about so many smiles, I guess I decided right then and there that I wanted ponies to look at me the same way."

"So you're an attention seeker?"

Rainbow furled her brow, and she looked away slightly, his accusation managing to ruffle her feathers a little. "I just want to liven up ponies' lives a little, Sir," she murmured, looking him seriously back in the eyes. "That's all. I'm not looking for fame or fortune."

"Good to know you're humble then." He smiled pleasantly. "Now, I've got just one more question for you, Rainbow Dash... and that's why you love my daughter."

Her eyes widened in surprise. "Why I—? Pfft, that's easy! It's 'cause she's so awesome!" She smiled back at them with a broad grin, Twilight's parents staring back at her, less than enthused. She immediately gulped. R-right... Her grin quickly fell, her face heating up and gaze sinking to the tabletop. Guess I should probably give this a bit more thought, she realized, her mind slipping into deep thought for a couple moments.

"...I love her outgoing personality," she began to explain, properly this time. "Her quirkiness, dry sense of humor, big brain, even bigger heart, and... just how open she is when it comes to the things I like. She's also totally gorgeous if you don't mind me adding."

"I'd be insulted if you didn't," he remarked, seemingly a lot more pleased this time around. "I just wouldn't want her looks to be the only thing you had to say about her."

"Of course; and honestly, Sir, more than anything... she changed my life, gave me things to strive for. I'd be lost without her."

"Aw..."

Night Light and Rainbow turned to look at Twilight Velvet, who looked between them innocently. "What? That's sweet."

"So, ah, w-what do you say, Mr. Light? Do you approve of me marrying Twilight?"

"Hm... well, I suppose so."

Wait... Rainbow perked up, staring at him in disbelief. "Seriously?"

Night Light nodded. "You seem like a good pony who genuinely loves my daughter and has her priorities straight. That's all I was really looking for in you."

Rainbow smiled softly at his kind words, before shying her gaze away as she bit her lip, reluctantly asking, "And it doesn't weird you out that I'm... you know... a mare?"

Her question gave him pause, taking him aback.

He looked off in solemn thought.

"I was brought up to think that it was this... choice ponies made—a bad one—and one that ponies made to act out or break the mold. When I heard that Twilight was dating you, though, I couldn't believe it. I knew Twilight wasn't one to seek thrills, or look for attention, so I was doubly curious to talk with you, and understand her reasons. Now though, I see it was a choice, but not a morally bad one. My daughter's happier than I've ever seen her, and her behavior is so much healthier..." He looked back to her with a look of approval. "You make my daughter happy, Rainbow Dash. That's all that really matters."

Rainbow met him with a look of awe, the smile on her face growing larger and larger until she could no longer contain it.

She sprung up from her seat, pumping both of her hooves high into the air, before bringing them down by her sides. "Yesss!"

Twilight's ear twitched, and she turned to see her fiancée hovering in the air, wearing a wide grin.

Guess things really are going better for her, she mused... her surprise fading into a loving smile.


Day 223

"So we made some real progress the other day, girls."

Twilight walked with her friends while her fiancée hovered beside her.

As grueling as it was... she groaned internally, in an afterthought.

"Heck yeah we did!" cheered Rainbow, before swooping in for a hug and taking Twilight by surprise. She folded her forelegs over her girlfriend's shoulders, pressing her cheek against hers. "Your dad totally approves of us, Twi! I still can't believe it..."

Twilight smiled affectionately, lifting her head and nuzzling Rainbow's fur, relishing in the warmth it provided.

She then stopped for a moment, setting a hoof of hers over her girlfriend's.

"Because he knew he would be getting an awesome daughter-in-law."

Rainbow grinned at the remark, easing her embrace before returning to the sky beside her.

"Man... So jelly..." Lemon Hearts murmured yearningly, in awe of what they had. "You two are seriously making me wish I had a girlfriend of my own."

"Really? I... had no idea you were like that, Lemon," replied Twilight, a bit taken aback. The others all shared the same look of surprise.

Lemon Hearts shrugged nonchalantly.

"I'm just exploring my options. I mean, it's not like you're gay, Twilight. You just... fell in love with who Rainbow was, right?"

"Mhm." She nodded softly. "Though... after being engaged to her these past few months, and dating her for a few months prior, I'm definitely leaning towards mares. I mean, I guess I could see myself with a stallion—if he were considerate, and danced with me, made me feel special the way Rainbow did..." She smiled fondly back at her fiancée. "He still wouldn't compare to you, Rainbow."

Rainbow's face reddened as she returned her girlfriend's compliment with a bashful smile.

"And how about you, Rainbow?" Lemon Hearts asked, grabbing her attention. "Have you always been attracted to mares?"

Rainbow's smile slowly disappeared as she gave the question some thought.

"I... really don't remember," she answered truthfully. "I guess from the way I fell for Twi though, I'd say... yeah, probably."

"Huh."

"W-well, I think we can all safely say that we're jealous of what these two have," said Twinkleshine, cutting in. "We're here to help plan their wedding though, okay?"

Lemon Hearts rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah..."

"So, what can we help you with next. Twilight?" Moon Dancer asked.

"Well, I was thinking first that we'll need a place to hold the ceremony."

Minuette gasped breathlessly. "I was thinking the exact same thing," she boasted in excitement, only for her friends to deadpan. "What?"

"And where did you two lovebirds have in mind?" Lyra asked, looking over at them curiously.

"Oh, well..." Twilight looked between her friends with a determined expression.

"I have a few places in mind."


"The gardens?"

Twinkleshine and the girls stood with their mouths agape, save for Lyra and Moon Dancer, who both shrugged their shoulders indifferently.

"I like it," remarked Moon Dancer. "Seems like a good place for a get together."

"Thank you, Moon Dancer. You see," Twilight went on to explain, "this place holds special meaning to both myself and Rainbow." She leaned over to nuzzle the underside of Rainbow's jaw, the bold move tugging at her girlfriend's heartstrings. "We come here for solace and peace of mind. It's also the first place I took Rainbow after she was released from the hospital, so... I guess you could say it's the most memorable."

"Okay, but... It's also outside. I mean... what if it's windy, or if it's scheduled to rain?"

"Uh, hello?" Rainbow grinned, puffing out her chest, and expanding her wings.

Twinkleshine blinked, before letting out an elongated "Ooooh," as what Rainbow was hinting at finally dawned on her. "Right..." She chuckled meekly. "Forgot that pegasi could manipulate the weather."

"Eh, no biggie," Rainbow replied with a nonchalant shrug.

"So, if this is where you'd like to hold it, we'll need Princess Celestia's permission, won't we?"

Twilight lowered her gaze in thought, lifting a hoof to her chin. "I suppose we will... But don't worry, everypony," she proclaimed proudly, "the princess and I are close!"

Her friends all exchanged dry looks with one another, before turning to both herself and Rainbow.

"We know."


Day 238

Twilight's eye twitched.

Two weeks.

Two weeks just to book an appointment with her mentor, and friend.

Two weeks of having to put hers and Rainbow's wedding plans on hold.

Stupid summit meetings, she grumbled in thought, seated beside Rainbow with her forelegs crossed.

The slight headache she had certainly wasn't helping to elevate her mood any, either...

The doors to Celestia's chambers creaked opened, and out walked an aptly-dressed stallion wearing a dark red coat, gray cravat, and glasses. He turned to the two of them as they sat seated in a couple of stools, and the second he did, Twilight feigned a smile in his direction.

"Her Majesty will see you now," he said, motioning to the door.

Twilight hopped down from her seat as Rainbow flew out of hers, exclaiming, "Sweet! About time!"

The door was shut behind them after they entered, leaving them face-to-face with the alabaster princess.

Celestia herself had heard Rainbow's exclamation from the hall, and chuckled under her breath before turning to face both her, and her most faithful student. She smiled pleasantly at the two as Twilight took a seat on her haunches a few feet away, and Rainbow swooped down to sit beside her.

"Hello, Twilight. Rainbow. It's wonderful to see the two of you again." Her smile quickly turned upside down. "Especially after these past couple of weeks..."

Twilight smiled back at her knowingly.

"I can imagine," she agreed with a soft laugh. already feeling her mood start to lighten.

"So what can I help you two with? I take it you've been trying to get a hold of me for some time now."

"Right, well, ah... y-you see..." Twilight trailed off, averting her eyes as she did. She rubbed a hoof along the back of her neck, and chuckled nervously. This seemed so much easier in my head—

"Twi and me are dating."

Twilight blinked as she lowered her hoof, dumbfounded. Did I just blurt that...? No, she concluded, that was bad grammar.

She turned to her right, incredulous.

"Rainbow!"

"What?"

Rainbow leaned back, raising her hooves halfway in defense at her girlfriend's angry pout. "Twi, you were taking too long, so I thought I'd, you know... answer for you."

Twilight crossed her forelegs indigently. "Hmph."

"Uh, girls?"

Twilight's ears perked at the sound of the princess's voice, and she swiftly turned to face her.

"Yes, Princess?"

Celestia cocked her head, creasing her brow in worry.

"The two of you are... dating? Did I hear that correctly?"

Twilight parted her lips to answer, when Rainbow once again beat her to it.

"We're more than that!" She threw a foreleg around Twilight's shoulders, pulling her close to her chest. "We're engaged!" Celestia leaned her head back, lifting her brow at the news. "Twi has been waiting weeks to tell you!"

Twilight sighed, rolling her eyes before smiling at her girlfriend's brashness.

"Yes, I had been."

Rainbow froze as she realized what her girlfriend was getting at, and gulped, her ears drooping ashamedly.

She let out a meek laugh. "Oops..."

Twilight lifted her head, kissing the corner of her girlfriend's lips. "It's alright, Rainbow."

"So, I... take it you have been together for a while now?"

The two of them turned back towards Celestia.

"For a little under eight months now, yes," Twilight replied with a slight blush. "Sorry I didn't tell you sooner, Princess."

"N-no, no... It is alright, it..." Celestia breathed out, collecting herself before smiling knowingly in their direction. "I can see now why you were asking questions about love all those months ago."

Rainbow turned to Twilight, now finding herself with more questions than answers.

"Say what now?"

Twilight looked away, flustered, her ears flopping. "I couldn't get you off of my mind, Rainbow," she murmured.

"W-well... in either case," Celestia hastily cut in. "I must admit, I was sort of expecting you to focus more on furthering your friendships... Though, then again... I suppose your love for her simply is the result of that friendship."

"I'm sorry, Princess, but... I couldn't help it. I love all of my friends—" Twilight closed her eyes, leaning back in to nuzzle Rainbow, and relishing in the feeling of her fur against her own. "—I just love Rainbow a little bit more."

Rainbow smiled warmly, lowering her muzzle, and nuzzling the top of Twilight's head in return.

"Well, I..." Celestia's expression softened at their little display of affection. "I suppose love happens when we least expect it. Nevertheless, I... am happy for the two of you. I'll be honored to help in whichever way I can."

The two of them froze at her words. They pulled away from one another, and leaned towards her intently with growing grins.

"Honored?" they both exclaimed. "Really?"

Celestia softly laughed, nodding in response.

"You're some of my best friends, and to tell the truth... I'm a little envious of the two of you."

Rainbow smiled bashfully as Twilight's jaw hit the floor.

"The two of you have both come so far. You have allowed love and friendship into your hearts, and it is these attributes that will help to shape Equestria for the better—if you continue to hold them near and dear, that is."

As Celestia spoke, Twilight's mind flashed back to several months prior.

"You were always meant to accomplish great feats, my student, and hopefully someday play a part in changing Equestria for the better."

The words played out in her head as she wondered, Is this what she meant? I suppose I have changed Rainbow's life for the better, and Spike's... Moon Dancer's... Lyra's... She smiled at the foolish idea... but maybe it was true. Maybe I really have been helping Equestria...

"So—" Twilight's mind became fully alert once more as her attention snapped back to her teacher. "—I will be more than happy to help arrange your wedding."

Twilight and Rainbow both beamed at the news.

"Awesome! So then, it wouldn't be too much to ask to hold the ceremony in the sculpture garden, would it?" Rainbow asked.

Her question gave Celestia pause.

"Er, the... sculpture garden?" She cocked her head, and furled her brow. "Haven't the two of you ever felt a, ah... chaotic presence in that place?"

"Hm?" Twilight's happy expression vanished from her face as she picked up on her mentor's distressed tone.

She turned to Rainbow, the two of them exchanging puzzled glances.

"No...?" they both replied warily.

Celestia eased up, breathing out a little sigh in relief. "Oh, well... never mind then."

Rainbow and Twilight remained no less confused.

"You see," she went on to explain, "that garden has a peculiar history... and some ponies believe that rogue magic haunts the area. They believe the reason is that some of the sculptures there are cursed."

Twilight's brow lifted. "Rogue magic?" she inquired. "I've never felt any malevolent presences."

"Hay, maybe it just doesn't affect Twi and me," boasted Rainbow, nudging her side.

"Or maybe it's just an old filly's tale," figured Twilight, turning back to Celestia in thought. I never took her as superstitious... Then again, if enough ponies reported hearing or seeing something... I suppose she'd have to give it some validity, as ruler...

"So, have the two of you decided when the wedding will be?"

Celestia's question snapped Twilight from her sudden thoughts.

"Oh, well, um... honestly, no. We, uhm... haven't given it any thought."

Twilight averted her gaze away ashamedly.

"Well, how does the start of Summer sound? That should give the two of you more than enough time to finish your preparations, and we can even have it take place before our one-thousandth Summer Sun Celebration— so that you'll both be back from your honeymoon in time to see it, of course."

Twilight thought it over in her head.

It'll be the first, and one of the most important Summer Sun Celebrations that Rainbow and I will get to witness as a couple...

To her, the answer was a no-brainer.

"That sounds perfect, Princess," she said with a polite smile.

"Then it's settled. We'll hold it before the celebration, and not a day after." She knelt forward, leaning in and adding jokingly, "Summer Sun Celebrations can sometimes get a little hectic."

Rainbow and Twilight turned to one another, then back to her, smiling knowingly.

"Oh," they both replied, breaking out into a soft fit of laughter, "we can imagine."


Day 239

"Alright! Time to get this wedding underway!"

Twilight rolled her eyes, smiling at her girlfriend's antics.

"So what's first on the agenda, Twi? I mean, we have your parents' blessing, help from the girls, catering, a venue, Pinkie Pie to plan everything, Spike to document everything, and Celestia to preside over it all!" Her brow furrowed for a moment. "What more do we really need?"

"Well..." Twilight gave her a slight tug on her tail with her magic. "If you would come down here... I'd be happy to explain."

"Ah, right. Sorry."

She darted onto the couch in a sheepish manner, sporting a meek smile in her fiancée's direction. "So what's next?"

An excited grin parted Twilight's lips.

"Okay! So, first thing's first, I put together a binder full of tips, tricks and ideas to give our wedding some much-needed flare!"

Rainbow's face beamed with excitement, mirroring her girlfriend's. "Now we're talking!"

Twilight nodded happily. "All the sources I could find said how, in the early days of a wedding, it's important to create a folder or binder to house inspiration, but who am I kidding? A folder would never be able to house this much inspiration!"

"Right right, so... what are we talking? Games? Music? Live entertainment?"

"All that and more!"

Rainbow squealed, bringing her hooves to her chin in giddiness... hardly able to contain her excitement.

Twilight clasped her hooves together. "Now we simply need to narrow down our options, and pick from hundreds of different acts!"

"Yeah, and—!" Rainbow caught herself, her eyes blinking open... her face bearing a look of puzzlement. "Wait... whu-w-what...?"

A feeling of unspeakable dread washed over her, her enthusiasm fading quickly from her system as her gaze singled in on the overstuffed binder, sitting dauntingly on their coffee table.

She swallowed hard, her pupils shrinking.

Twilight, all the while, brought a hoof to her own lips, giggling at her little prank and cuing Rainbow in to what was really going on.

"Oh, I see..." Rainbow glared playfully at her girlfriend. "Very funny, Twi."

"Sorry... I, I couldn't resist seeing your, your reaction."

Rainbow snorted, crossing her forelegs. "Humph."

Twilight softly giggled some more, lowering her eyelids as she leaned in closer. She cracked a sly smile before bridging the gap between them, pushing their muzzles together as their lips connected in a brief yet loving peck on the lips.

She pulled back slightly, leaving Rainbow's face beet red as she stared half-lidded, and longingly into her girlfriend's eyes.

"All better?"

Darn it, Twi, Rainbow grumbled in thought. I'm supposed to be annoyed with you...

She caved in, easing up as her shoulders drooped.

"Y-yeah..." she admitted, smiling meekly in defeat.

Twilight returned the smile, turning away and falling back, sinking into the back of their sofa.

"I was being serious about having to comb through hundreds of options though, you know..." She sighed out drearily, levitating the heavy binder onto her lap. "Go have fun, Rainbow." She turned back to her, this time with a wary smile. "I'll find us the best options. Research is my forte, after all."

Twi... Rainbow's heart lurched as she peered over at the stairwell anxiously, biting her lip before turning back to her girlfriend.

"It'll probably take me days to file through all this," she continued in her unenthusiastic tone of voice, frowning down at it.

"W-well... maybe not if we, um... you know." Rainbow shrugged, averting her eyes as her voice softened. "Work together."

Wait... Twilight's eyes widened slightly. Did I just hear her say what I think I did?

She sat up straight, staring at her girlfriend in disbelief.

"R-really, Rainbow? It won't be boring for you?"

"Oh, of course it will!" Twilight proceeded to narrow her eyes. "But hey, it's my wedding too!"

Rainbow winked back at her, reaching out and nudging her nearest foreleg. "I can't have you making all the decisions, because you might end up picking some boring classical music band, or something."

Twilight huffed at her remark, staring back at her indignantly, and crossing her forelegs. "You know I like pop music, Rainbow."

Rainbow chuckled. "I know, Twi. Guess I was just getting back at you." She stuck out her tongue playfully.

Twilight stared back at her daringly. "Is that right..."

"Well, hey!" Rainbow leaned back beside her with a comfy sigh. "Till death do us part, or... something having to do with vows, right?"

Twilight chuckled, rolling her eyes. "Yes, Rainbow." She smiled over at her warmly. "Something like that."

She plopped down beside her fiancée, flipping open the cover to her binder.

"So, uh... who did you have in mind?" Rainbow asked, leaning her head over.

"Well..." Twilight turned her attention back to the many pages of adverts and newspaper clippings, pointing a hoof to one pony in particular. A pony with black and blonde hair, and very long bangs. "I was considering Songbird Serenade... until I saw her rates..."

"Yeesh... that is a lot... Hmm..."

Twilight continued, skimming page after page, when Rainbow's hoof cut her off. "Ooh!" She pointed to an article that highlighted another popstar... this time with a long, white ponytail, and face concealed behind a veil. "How about this pony?"

Twilight looked to where she had pointed, giving it some thought.

"Countess Coloratura..." A small smile softly spread across her lips. "Huh..."


Day 241

"See anypony you like, Rainbow?" Twilight asked, flipping lazily between entertainment acts. She waited a moment, then frowned, turning to the spot beside her curiously. "Rainbow...?"

She deadpanned at the sight of her girlfriend, curled up beside her, and snoozing away.

"Rainbow!"

Rainbow darted up, eyes wide in panic. "I'm awake!"

"Rainbow..." Twilight looked at her with a soft smile, setting a hoof on her hind leg. "You know you really don't have to help with this if you don't want to."

"No, no, I..." Rainbow shook her head, assuring her, "There's no place I'd rather be. I just..."

"Yes...?" Her voice took on a concerned tone. "What's the matter?"

Rainbow threw her forelegs out towards the binder in frustration. "None of these acts seem any good! I mean... it's just a bunch of... one-trick ponies, and local magicians."

A moment passed in silence as Twilight sat there stunned, taken aback by her girlfriend's confession.

I see... I... "I understand, Rainbow," she replied, solemnly. "I've never cared for stage magic myself. It's nothing but parlor tricks, usually performed by braggarts and charlatans... Still, we're not the ones they'll be entertaining."

Rainbow however, doubled down on her stance.

"Nuh-uh, no way, Twi. We are not subjecting our guests to, and I quote, 'The Great and Powerful Trixie.' Hay, I betcha we could put on a better show!"

She puffed out her chest as she finished, grinning proudly.

Twilight lifted a hoof to her lips, giggling at her display.

"I bet we could too... Unfortunately..."

Rainbow slumped her shoulders, sighing out heavily. "We'll be too busy getting married... Right..."

"Not to mention we'll be in dresses the whole time."

The two slipped into silence as they looked at one another, the same thought occurring to them at once.

"Do I need to wear a tux?"

They blinked, staring questioningly into each other's eyes for another moment before softly cracking up.

"I guess that's something we'll have to look into!"

"True enough." agreed Rainbow. "Hey... it just dawned on me! You know who'd be perfect?"

Twilight leaned forward as she turned towards her intently. "Who?"

"The Wonderbolts!"

"The... Wonderbolts..." she repeated, slowly deadpanning. "At a wedding?"

"Mhm!" Rainbow nodded.

Twilight's smile wavered, her brow furrowing as doubt quickly set in. "Don'tcha think that might get a little... destructive, and, ah... noisy?"

"Nope!" Rainbow exclaimed simply, brimming with confidence.

Twilight stared back at her incredulously.

"..We'll think about it."


Day 244

"Okaaay..."

Rainbow collapsed beside Twilight on the couch, after returning from a long day of pushing clouds around. "What's next on the agenda?"

"Mm? I was just considering what kind of games and activities we should have," she explained plainly, never once looking up. Rainbow rolled her eyes.

"Twi... Why not let Pinkie Pie take care of that?"

Why? she wondered incredulously. It's simple! It's because... "I can't place everything on her shoulders, Rainbow," she insisted, turning to Rainbow, a clear look of distress on her face. "B-besides..." She turned back to their open wedding planner. "I think I found a few things Pinkie never would have thought of!"

Oh really? Rainbow sat up, her interest piqued. "Like...?"

Twilight beamed excitedly.

"A dance off!" she exclaimed. "The two of us together... It's time to put our months of practice to the test!"

Rainbow meanwhile, stared back at her dumbstruck.

"Honestly, Twi... I'm sorta surprised, I mean... I guess I was expecting something a bit more academic, like..." She shrugged, naming off the most Twilight thing she could think of. "A life-size game of chess?"

Twilight gasped, her eyes sparkling. "That sounds like an awesome idea!"

Rainbow's heart sunk.

It... does—?

Twilight leaned forward, hugging her around the shoulders... Rainbow herself tensing up in surprise.

"Thanks, Rainbow."

Rainbow chuckled awkwardly, giving in to her girlfriend's embrace.

She smiled softly, closing her eyes and leaning closer, nuzzling Twilight's cheek intimately.

"Heh... No problem, Twi."


Day 245

"So, uh... Karaoke, huh?" asked Rainbow. She stood alongside Moon Dancer as the three of them walked through the evening streets. "Gee, Twi... First dancing, and now singing?" She cocked her head in uncertainty.

"What can I say, girls?" Twilight turned to face them both with a broad smile. "I guess I'm just so happy that I could sing! Besides," she added in a hushed tone, leaning forward while wearing a giddy expression, "who doesn't love embarrassing themselves by singing terribly in front of others?"

"Er..." Rainbow and Moon Dancer exchanged quick, fearful looks with one another, swallowing hard.

"E-everypony...?" they squeaked out. Twilight grinned in determination.

"Fear not, girls!" She spun on ahead, taking on a more singsong tone of voice. "Because tonight, yeah, we're gonna have a party, so I thought of something fun to do! I don't know what's gonna happen; I just know it's gonna feel right!"

Rainbow and Moon Dancer deadpanned, watching as Twilight danced on ahead... before once again exchanging less-than-enthusiastic looks.

"Oh yeah, uhn! Shake your tails, girls, 'cause we're here to have a party tonight!"


Day 253

Twilight giggled as she did a little twirl, stopping to admire herself in the dressing room mirror.

Today was hers and Rainbow's bridal appointment, and the two were currently in the middle of meeting with different stylists to discover their dream wedding dress silhouettes.

And, after a couple long hours of indecisiveness... Twilight believed she had finally found it.

Somewhere between ball gown and sheath, simple, yet eloquent... Her shoulderless, ivory-white dress seemed to fit her nicely—feeling snug without feeling too flowy.

Her silk, sash-like bodice sat comfortably around her middle, connecting her full, lace skirt that glided over haunches and tail so elegantly... coming to rest at around her fetlocks.

She marveled at the mare she saw in the mirror, her eyes shimmering at her reflection.

"I look so amazing," she gushed, bringing a hoof to her cheek. "Like a real-life fairy-tale princess even...! Oh, I wonder what Rainbow looks like in hers..." She sighed dreamily. "I wonder if it's as stunning as she is... and compliments her beauty the way she compliments me..."

Twinkleshine cleared her throat suddenly, reminding Twilight of her presence beside her.

"Now, Twilight... remember what they say: seeing your bride in their wedding dress before the day of the wedding is bad luck."

"Yeah," Twilight scoffed, "back when marriages were arranged, Twinkleshine." She softly laughed, shaking her head. "I'm not really one for superstition either."

Twinkleshine stared back at her, her eyes narrowing.

"Hm, well... let's play it safe anyway, just in case," she suggested with a forced smile. Because I am!

Twilight breathed out, and straightened up as she gathered her composure.

"Speaking of Rainbow..." She looked off wistfully, towards the door to their fitting room. "I wonder how she's fairing..."


"Ngh... Stop squirming, Rainbow!"

"Mrgh... I can't help it, Moon! I'm not exactly used to wearing something this... I dunno, form-fitting?"

"Yeah," Moon Dancer muttered with a roll of her eyes, "because you're always wearing that hoodie of yours, I know."

"Hey!" Rainbow rebuked, indignantly. "That hoodie is awesome, and it was a gift from Twi, which makes it even more awesome!"

"Nopony said it wasn't, Rainbow. Now, let me just zip you up, and..."

Rainbow stiffened immediately, stifling a gasp as Moon Dancer zipped her up.

The unicom herself stepped back to admire her handiwork.

"Not too shabby," she remarked, cuing Rainbow to take a look herself.

She anxiously stepped over to the full body mirror, where she took an apprehensive peak at herself.

Her eyes then proceeded to widen at the sight of a mare whose beauty was rivaled by none other than Twilight herself...

Well, okay, Rainbow supposed, doubling back. Maybe that was far from the truth... but she couldn't help it...

She had never before seen herself looking so... captivating.

Even if it was a little too... restrictive for her liking.

Moon Dancer had called it 'fit and flare,' and for the most part... it seemed to compliment her athletic physique perfectly.

It was a plain-white wedding dress, with the faintest rainbow hue encircling the skirt. The straps of the dress draped down past her shoulders, wrapping nicely around her upper forelegs.

The skirt itself flared out around her knees, granting her the freedom she loved, and so desperately desired.

She remained lost in her own reflection, not noticing as Moon Dancer stepped up beside her.

"Told ya you'd like it," she remarked with a coy smile.

Rainbow snapped out of her reverie, blushing lightly.

"W-who, me?" Her pupils darted back and forth. "I mean... i-it's okay, I... I guess."

Moon Dancer giggled, seeing right through her little facade.

"S-so, uhm... How is it you know so much about all this anyway, Moon?"

"Hm?" Moon Dancer's smile fell as she looked back at her friend in surprise. "How do I...?"

Her eyelids lowered as her gaze slowly sunk. "It just runs in my family, is all... I guess," she murmured, somewhat grumpily.

Rainbow raised her brow, staring back at her friend worriedly. "Did I... say something wrong, or—?"

"N-no," Moon Dancer stammered out assuredly, "no, you... you didn't." She smiled back at her, igniting her horn. "Here, let me help get you out of this. It's not like you can wear this out of here, after all."

"Y-yeah," Rainbow chuckled awkwardly, turning back ahead. "Well, if you're sure you're fine..."

"Mhm," Moon Dancer hurriedly replied, focusing on the task she made for herself.

Rainbow mentally shrugged, taking one last, long look at herself. If this is really what I look like... Man...

She smiled amorously. I cannot wait to see Twi!


Day 256

I guess that does it.

Twilight sighed out as she leaned back, closing her eyes while bearing a content smile as she closed the cover to hers and Rainbow's wedding portfolio.

For the time being anyway. Games and entertainment, catering, venues, dates, photography, decorations, a list of guests, and our bridesmaids have all been decided. Even our wedding dresses have been reserved, and will be delivered to us the day of our wedding. Oh, I just know that Rainbow will look absolutely beautiful in hers... She sighed dreamily, imagining what it would be like on their wedding day, when at last, the day finally arrived...

The scene was picturesque: her bride in a flowing wedding gown with a rainbow tinge, and her mane done up in a pretty ponytail with golden hair bands... The two of them stood facing one another on the alter, and wore deep-seated blushes, both out of embarrassment... and the adoration that they deeply held for each other.

Celestia stood presiding over them, and all of their friends were there, but their attention was focused elsewhere, lost in each other's eyes as they stood silently admiring the other. Rainbow herself bit her lip, glancing away from behind her wedding veil for a brief second before looking back, smiling sheepishly.

Twilight pictured herself smiling back in slight humor at her fiancée's anxiousness, before dawning a loving expression. She felt like she was in a dream state, Celestia's words barely registering as she spoke her vows, and replied to her mentor's questions with a vague "Uh-huh," or "Mhm."

The only part she found herself becoming attentive towards, was Celestia permitting them to seal the deal. She gulped, her ears on fire and heart beating a mile a minute.

Her horn sparkled with magic as Rainbow met her halfway, kissing her lips with gusto... holding a hoof of her own in hers, and...

Then it was over.

The scene faded from her mind... and reality unfortunately set back in.

Well... I guess I can't just sit around, fantasizing all day... She let out a muffled groan as she sat up begrudgingly, looking around with a bored expression. Rainbow's at work, Spike's with Moon Dancer, and I'm sure the girls are all off doing their own thing. Probably even working their own jobs too...

She snorted in frustration.

Sometimes, she grumbled in thought, thinking back... I wish I weren't still on mandatory vacation... Sure I'm grateful to Princess Celestia for this time off to get my life together, make some friends and even a girlfriend, but... She slouched back, tilting her head towards the ceiling. I sure do miss conducting magical research, and reporting my findings to the princess... Especially on days like this when I'm alone...

She rolled onto her side, mulling over the fact. She bit her lip, wracking her brain for an idea... when she was reminded of what her mentor had told her, all those moons ago...

"Do not worry over when or how often you write to me, so long as you keep me informed on how things are going."

Twilight's eyes widened, a giddy smile spreading steadily across her face.

Rainbow and Spike have both told me before that... if I had something to get off my chest... I should write about it. Yes... that's what I'll do!

She sat up, reinvigorated before calling Spike's name out into their empty home. Moments passed, and as she was met with a deafening silence, realized, Right... He's with Moon Dancer... Duh. She shrugged, smiling at her own forgetfulness. Guess it's sorta still instinct at this point...

She hopped down from the den's couch to fetch some parchment and a quill for herself, before heading back and plopping down on its cushions.

With a relaxed sigh... she began writing.

Dear Princess Celestia...


"See you tomorrow, April!"

"See you, Rainbow! Be sure to tell your fiancée I said hello!"

"Sure thing!" replied Rainbow with a wave of her hoof, before then flying off.

She grinned, soaring through the streets and high above venues, all the while relishing in the cool Spring air that wafted through her feathers. She slowed her pace as she ascended further into the sky, closing her eyes and for a moment, basking in the warm light of the sun.

Man... Twi's really missing out... I should see if she wants to go flying... If I don't fall asleep first, she sheepishly thought, feeling the effects of a long day of work begin to set in. We haven't gone for one in a while... and I'm feeling like today's perfect for just that!

Giving her head a quick shake... she smiled, blinking her eyes open in resolve, and speeding off in the direction of their home.

She set down at the top of the staircase, slipping in through the front doors of their tower abode.

"Twi?" she called out immediately... only to be met with no response. Huh...

She journeyed further in—over to the stairs leading down, and thinking to herself as she walked, Hope she isn't stressing out too much over our wedding plans...

She couldn't help but smile as an image of Twilight filled her imagination, her fiancée's eye twitching and mane unkempt as she tacked everything to a board, connecting everything with strands of red yarn.

As she rounded the stairs into the den, her face lit up at the sight of her fiancée, sat comfortably on the sofa, and writing something down at her own leisure.

"Twi?" she called for a second time, this time working as Twilight stopped her pen's movements in the middle of whatever sentence she was writing, and glanced up.

She smiled fondly at the sight of the pony she loved.

"You're back," she said, sounding a little relieved. "How was work?"

"Oh, you know..." Rainbow shrugged nonchalantly. "The usual. April says "Hi," by the way."

Twilight softly nodded, noting as she returned to her writing, "That was nice of her."

"Mhm."

Rainbow walked on over to the back of the sofa, peering down at her girlfriend's hoofwriting. Her brow furled as she attempted to make heads or tails of it.

"What are you writing?"

"Oh, just a letter to the princess," Twilight replied simply.

Rainbow leaned down to nuzzle the top of her head.

"About what?" she asked in a soft voice.

Twilight smiled, stopping her pen's movements once more, and turning her attention away from the sheet of parchment in favor of nuzzling her fiancée back.

"Nothing much... Only how happy I am, Rainbow."

The two pulled away from one another blushing... Rainbow herself unsure of how to react before coming to her senses and forming a lopsided grin. "Well, hey... I'm happy too, Twi. Say, you know... Spike won't be home for a little while, and you can't exactly send that until he gets back..."

Twilight's brow lifted, all of a sudden feeling like such a scatterbrain. "Right..." she grumbled. "I knew I was forgetting something..."

Rainbow chuckled as she raised a hoof of hers off the floor, setting it reassuringly over her girlfriend's.

"Come flying with me," she said, taking Twilight by surprise.

"Fly?"

"Sure," she replied. "It's such a nice day today, and... we haven't in a while, y'know?" She averted her eyes away, shrugging innocently. "I dunno, I... figured you'd just really—"

"I'd love to," Twilight responded swiftly, without a moment's hesitation.

"Really?" Rainbow looked back at her, now finding it her turn to be surprised.

Twilight giggled, then nodded... forming a tender smile. "Really, really."

A light blush stained Rainbow's cheeks as an elated grin slowly spread across her face.

"Awesome!"

Twilight stepped down as Rainbow came up beside her.

"You're gonna love it, Twi. The weather's like, perfect, and I noticed these, like, totally comfy looking clouds... I would love to take credit, but I only sorta just push them around." A sheepish laugh followed suit, Twilight's gaze lowering lovingly.

"Which you do a fantastic job at," she remarked, leaning in to nuzzle her.

"Heh... thanks, Twi. So, um... you get any planning done today?"

"Actually, it's... all done," she explained as she pulled away.

Wait... Rainbow did a double take, looking at her in amazement. "Really—?"

"F-for the time being anyway," Twilight added with a meek smile.

Rainbow's gaze quickly turned deadpan.

"Ah. Well, either way... that leaves a lot of free time for just you and me."

"Really?" Twilight asked, hopefulness in her voice. "No more cloud pushing?"

Rainbow grinned. "Not unless they need me," she replied sweetly as she placed a foreleg around her mare, pulling her closer.

A happy smile adorned Twilight's face, as her heart melted at her fiancée's words.

Rainbow herself pulled back, opting instead to extend a wing over her girlfriend's back as they continued up the stairs. "So, like I was saying..."


Day 257

"So I take it she's happy?"

The moon hung heavy in the world Celestia considered a home away from home. A parallel world so different, and yet so familiar... as though it were a reflection of her very own.

An Equestria where she herself did not preside... but rather the kind and noble King Sombra.

A pony who was so much more than a friend to her, and gave her some much-needed comfort... as the days until her sister's return drew shorter.

The garden outside Canterlot Castle came alive with the various buzzing and chirping sounds of insects, as well as the soft, orange glow of fireflies as Celestia trotted along the winding, moonlit walkway beside her beloved.

She nodded in regards to his question, smiling softly at the memory. "Very much so— a-according to this letter of hers, anyway."

She drew attention to her pupil's letter as she withdrew it from her saddlepouch with her magic.

"I see," Sombra observed. "H-has she been doing this often? Writing to you, I mean?"

"Only when she feels that it's necessary," she explained. "Like when she has something to get off of her chest. In this case—" She smiled warmly, down at the scroll of parchment. "—it's her impatience towards her own wedding in a few months."

Sombra nodded softly, looking back ahead. "Speaking of..." He blushed lightly as he stopped in his tracks, hesitating before asking, "Do you think we'll ever be able...?"

Celestia answered her lover's inquiry with a sorry look.

"Sombra... you know we've talked about this..."

"Yes, I recall..." He sighed, dropping his gaze disappointingly. "Not until our worlds are at peace, you said, can we even consider such a possibility..."

Celestia bit her lip, looking at him sorrowfully. "I don't like it anymore than you do, Dear..." She moved forward, nuzzling him tenderly. "I wish for you to forever be my always."

Her words brought a slight smile to his face.

"...Well, hey," he supposed, perking up a little; "can you honestly blame me for being so insistent? I love you, Celestia."

His beloved smiled warmly. "And I you, Sombra. It's just... You remember what Star Swirl warned us about?"

"The paradoxes, yes..." He looked ahead solemnly. "It really sort of makes me envious of this student of yours. This...?"

"Twilight Sparkle."

Sombra turned to look at her, horrified. "You don't mean the leader of the Erroneous Equines?"

Celestia stared back at him, at a loss for words.

She crinkled her brow, her head softly tilting. "The... what?"

"Er, my apologies. I take it that's just another difference between your world and mine. You see, it's unfortunate, but on this earth... A group of hooligans nicknamed the Erroneous Equines go around, committing all sorts of heinous crimes in service of their queen."

"The other me... Right, I understand." Celestia sighed softly, averting her eyes. "I always feared Twilight might be led astray without proper guidance... Without a good and kind leader to show her a better way..."

Sombra picked up on the distress in her voice, and turned to her sympathetically, holding out his hoof and scooping up one of hers in his.

"I promise you that, once the evil you is dealt with... I shall do my best to try and reach out to her."

"Thank you, Sombra." She met his loving gaze, smiling back at him appreciatively. "She deserves as much."

The two continued on their stroll through the gardens, making small talk as they did.

"So I sense she's special to you?" Sombra asked.

"She's so much more than a true friend to me... I have such high hopes for her. She's more than a powerful mage... She has potential to become a truly great leader..."

The whole time she spoke, Sombra couldn't help but admire the passion his beloved held for this student of hers.

She's glowing... he thought, smiling softly.

"Which is why I want so desperately to protect her until then," she continued, looking ahead somberly. Her gaze softened as she brought a hoof to her heart. "But I fear I lack the power to do just that."

"You," Sombra scoffed, "lacking power?"

"Hey!" Celestia turned back to him with a playful glare. "I'm serious, Sombra. I... I don't have the same defensive abilities that you do. The only thing that I can do is count on her friends to keep her safe..."

"Is something after her?"

Celestia grew quiet, her expression becoming more serious. "I... cannot say for sure, but... something happened some time ago, and... I cannot help but worry that... an old foe of mine is targeting her to get to me."

"That sounds an awful lot like something that my Celestia would pull..."

"Fortunately however... I discovered many moons ago, that she cannot harm a pony... so long as they hold those they love... near and dear to their hearts."

"Then... forgive me for asking this, but... what seems to be the problem? If love is keeping her safe, then... what's there to worry about?"

Celestia bit her lip, gravely looking ahead. "That she has something else up her sleeve..."

Her mind flashed back, remembering the unfamiliar dark magic that had seeped from her student's body, all those months ago. It sent a chill down her spine, simply recalling the sinister feeling. "I had cast one of your spells on her mind... but I fear even that may be wearing thin..."

Sombra cocked his head at her curiously.

"S-sorry. I'm just... being paranoid. You're right though. It's... probably nothing." She feigned a smile as she turned back to face him.

"I can tell that you care deeply for her, Celestia, and... what it sounds like to me—" He smiled in slight amusement... sensing what the problem seemed to be. "—Is that you're being a little overly protective of her."

Celestia stared back at him puzzled. "Overly protective?"

"Mhm, sure. She's been your protege ever since she was a filly, but now that she's becoming independent... I think you're worried that you'll no longer be there to protect her... or that she'll even need it in the first place."

Celestia pursed her lips, lowering her gaze in deep thought.

She supposed there was some truth in what he said, but... "I'm just worried that, if something is indeed coming... that she alone won't have the strength to face it."

"Ah, show a little faith, Celestia!" Sombra grinned, elbowing her side. "You said it yourself: she's pretty powerful by herself, and even has the love of those around her to keep her safe."

"I-I know, I know..." Celestia nodded reluctantly. "I-I just..."

"Well, if you need more convincing, perhaps send her away, on an errand of sorts."

"Errand?"

"Well, on second thought, I suppose it would be more akin to that of a test... but yes. Have her prove herself to you, that she and her friends have what it takes to face whatever it is the future may have in store for them."

"She does like tests..." Celestia thought it over, then smiled, her mind made up. "Alright. When the opportunity presents itself, I'll... think about it."

Sombra gave a hearty laugh in response. "Glad to hear it."

They carried on... Celestia's mind once more slipping into thought.

And maybe, she mused, sending them on these assignments will help them to unlock... their hidden potential—

"Sombra?" came a voice familiar to them both.

Luna emerged from the foliage, draped in her distinctive Saddle Arabian garb. "There you are. I've been looking for you, and—" Her face lit up with joy as she noticed who it was that stood beside her majesty. "If it isn't my sister from another world! "'Tis a pleasure to see you again! Tell me, what hath brought you here? Have you only just arrive? If so, we'd love it if you could st—!"

"Actually, Luna..." Celestia began to say, forcing her gaze away from her sister's otherworldly counterpart, and turning instead to address her beloved. "I think I should be going." Her ears flopped as she met his look of surprise with an apologetic smile. "I-it's just... I'd be putting both of our worlds in danger if I were to stay any longer."

The surprise he felt faded from his face, replaced with a look of understanding.

"Say no more, my love. I understand."

"You're referring to the paradoxes... aren't you?" Luna asked with a wary voice, looking worriedly between the two of them.

Celestia nodded, averting her sorrowful gaze. "Yes, Luna... that's correct."

"You will be back though, won't you?" she asked, a twinge of hope shining though in her voice. She looked away sadly. "Ever since my sister turned. it's... been so nice having you around."

Celestia gazed back at her, a wistful look in her eyes.

"She's right, you know," Sombra chimed in, setting a hoof on her shoulder.

She switched between the two, a kind smile softly forming on her lips. "Thank you, both of you... and of course I'll be back, Luna. For I feel the exact same way."

Luna looked back at her, disbelievingly at first, before beaming giddily.

Celestia's own smile softened as she stood admiring her alternate sister's joyous expression. I only hope, she thought in pensiveness, that when the time comes... and my sister is saved from her own inner darkness... that the transformation will not have the adverse effect on you, Luna...


Day 273

Rainbow and Twilight walked side by side, trotting down one of the many residential streets in the early morning daylight, and chatting leisurely with the other.

"So, what do you suppose it is that Moon Dancer and Spike want to show us?"

"Hmm... Your guess is as good as mine, Rainbow. Spike just ran off after receiving that letter from Moon Dancer, and told us to meet up with them before leaving. He mentioned... Workhorse Way..."

"Well, this is the place," Rainbow remarked, drawing their attention to the street sign at the corner of the intersection. "Now where do you suppose... Hm?"

She noticed as a couple of bushes—in a long line to her left—rustle, across the street from a row of houses.

A white hoof shot up from behind one of the bushes, waving the pair over.

Rainbow leaned her head back in surprise, exchanging a puzzled glance with her girlfriend.

The two walked on over, Twilight being the first to ask, "Is that you, Moon Dancer?"

Moon Dancer poked her head up from up out of one of the bushes, bearing a pleasant smile. "Hiya, Twilight."

Twilight cocked her head. "What are you doing hiding in the bushes?"

"...And where's Spike?" Rainbow asked, chiming in.

On cue, Spike sat up from the bushes as well, camera in hand. "Oh, hey guys. Glad to see you could join us."

"Join you in doing what, Spike?" questioned Twilight. "What are the two of you up to?"

"Well, we—"

Moon Dancer started to explain, then gasped, her eyes widening before pulling both herself and Spike back into the bushes.

Across the street, the door to one of the houses opened, an unfamiliar pony to both Twilight and Rainbow walking on out.

The pony carried on their way after locking up, leaving the two of them dumbstruck as they turned back to their hiding friends with raised eyebrows.

"Um... who was...?" Twilight began to ask.

"Shh!"

Moon Dancer poked her face back out from the foliage, wearing a serious look.

"We don't know! That's why... we're conducting some reconnaissance."

"Reconna... what now?"

Rainbow looked between the two, completely at a loss.

"Field research, Rainbow. The question I have is what they're researching..."

Twilight turned back to Moon Dancer with a suspicious look on her face, urging her friend to explain herself.

Moon Dancer sighed, before explaining, "Spike is assisting me in looking into a sort of... myth that's been circulating around."

"Myth?" Twilight and Rainbow questioned.

"Mhm!" Moon Dancer began to articulate with her hooves. "You see, it's been rumored that there's this... underground monster-hunting agency, located right under our muzzles, here in Canterlot!"

"So, in other words..." Twilight slowly deadpanned. "You guys are investigating some conspiracy theory."

"It's not a 'conspiracy theory,' Twilight," Spike murmured sourly.

"And plus, calling it a conspiracy gives it less credibility," added Moon Dancer, indignantly. "What we're researching is one hundred percent legit."

"Uh huh..." Twilight remained no less skeptical as she proceeded to ask, "What makes you believe that... any of this is true?"

"Well... think about it! Countless monsters exist in our world, and yet we've never faced invasion by a single one of them! Not once!"

Because Celestia has a multitude of spells in place to counter them, mused Twilight, dryly.

"And then there's this." Moon Dancer threw her forelegs out towards the house that her and Spike were surveying. "On the surface, that might look like your average house, but lo and behold!" She leaned forward, putting a hoof to her mouth as she explained to Twilight and Rainbow in a low voice, "Ponies say they've seen unfamiliar ponies enter and never, ever exit. Instead, a completely different pony will leave the house, hours or even minutes later, lugging around some strange equipment even..."

A shiver ran down Rainbow's spine, as she glanced over her shoulder nervously at the house in question.

Twilight rolled her eyes, placing a hoof to her chin. "That does sound odd... but I'm sure there's a perfectly good—"

Moon Dancer cut her off.

"There's more! The house is completely windowless, a-and every time somepony comes or goes, they lock the door with some sort of enchantment so that nopony can break in. Man, I swear, girls..." Moon Dancer redirected her wary gaze back to the mysterious house. "Something strange is going on in there, and ponies believe that Princess Celestia is behind it... That she's been out recruiting ponies in secret to protect Equestria from behind the scenes."

Celestia? Twilight scoffed in thought. Now I know this is all a conspiracy...

"This could mean that all the guards she hires are actually just there for show, and..."

Twilight's ear twitched, and she turned back to Moon Dancer irritably.

"...Imagine how ponies would react to finding out that their tax money were funding this secret team of—"

"Moon Dancer." Twilight glared at her sternly. "My brother is the captain of the Royal Guard."

Moon Dancer stared back at her, realization quickly setting in.

Her ears flopped, and she smiled apologetically, letting out a few sheepish chuckles.

"Sorry..."

"Urgh..." Twilight brought a hoof to her forehead, taking her girlfriend aback.

"Haven't seen you do that in a while," Rainbow murmured.

"M-my point still stands!" Moon Dancer held out her hoof, asking them to hear her out. "This could very well expose just how truly vulnerable Equestria is—!"

"Er... Moon?" Spike gently grabbed her shoulder, giving it a light shake.

"Hm?" She turned to him curiously. "What is it, Spike?"

He pointed a claw past her tentatively, toward a familiar alicorn princess... coming their way.

Moon Dancer's eyes widened, her expression quickly turning fearful.

"T-this proves it! Princess Celestia, coming this way at this exact moment? It must be to deter our investigation! Quick! Hide, Spike!"

The two dove back into the bushes, leaving Rainbow and Twilight standing there awkwardly in the street as Celestia came up to greet them.

"Twilight, Rainbow, what a surprise! Today is such a nice day for a stroll, wouldn't you agree?"

"Y-yeah," Twilight agreed with an anxious smile... her pupils darting between her teacher, and the bushes.

Celestia turned towards them herself, craning her head down and asking in a low voice, "And what say you, Moon Dancer? Spike?"

The two in question scrambled out from the bushes, Moon Dancer exclaiming in a panicked voice, "Run for it!"

Rainbow and Twilight shook their heads, hopeless as their two friends scurried down the street, tails between their legs.

Celestia lifted her head, staring after them worriedly.

"Did I say something wrong?"

Rainbow stepped up beside her, grabbing her attention. "They think you're leading some sort of elite team of monster hunters," she explained, giving the alicorn pause. She laughed softly, lightly elbowing her foreleg. "Pretty funny, huh?" I just hope it isn't true! she thought, sweating nervously on the inside.

"Monster hunters?" Celestia repeated, taken aback as she glanced between Rainbow and Twilight, before looking back on ahead.

She brought a hoof to her chin, smiling in good humor. "Now isn't that a silly idea..."


Day 299

This was it.

Today was the day... There would be no turning back...

Today would be the day that she finally demolished her record.

Rainbow pushed herself harder than ever before, the wind rippling across her face as she blazed through the sky, expertly weaving between clouds, and kicking off one only to launch herself into another.

She ricocheted from one to the next, and from Twilight's point of view, looked like a cascading rainbow zigzagging across the cloudy sky.

She held a hoof to her heart, as her chest swelled in anticipation.

Sunlight began poking through, hints of blue seeping through the cloud layer... soon being unveiled completely as Rainbow tore through the final cloud with a single, swift kick.

She swooped down before Twilight, panting softly.

"Time...?"

She braced herself for the worst, but no words ever came.

Instead, Twilight gazed away from her stopwatch, simply looking up at her with a joyous expression on her face.

Rainbow's lips softly parted in disbelief, staring back at herself in wonder.

For real...?

An uncontrollable smile softly began to grow, spreading across her face as her excitement became too much for her to bear.

Twilight was knocked from her hooves, landing on her back as Rainbow dove at her, tackling her to the ground in a happy embrace.

"I did it, Twi!" she exclaimed, nuzzling her deeply. "I... I really did it!"

Twilight blushed, letting out a soft chuckle at her girlfriend's ticklish nuzzles. She lifted her hooves, wrapping them around her withers, returning the loving gesture.

"I knew you could," she soothed, looking up at her endearingly, a proud smile gracing her lips.

"Heh..." Rainbow smiled bashfully, pulling back to look into her fiancée's eyes. "What can I say, Twi?"

She beamed, grinning broadly. "You really bring out the best in me!"


Day 320

Twilight stood completely still, staring down at the couple of books on her lectern... coated somewhat in a layer of dust.

As she gazed down contemplatively at the cover of the topmost book... she found herself hit with a sudden rush of memories.

That's right... She slowly blinked, parting her lips in awe of her own forgetfulness. All this time and I completely forgot...

She tentatively lifted a hoof to the cover, when she drew back, turning in startlement at the sound of her fiancée's voice.

"Twi?" Rainbow called out from the tower entrance.

"C-coming, Rainbow!" Twilight called back, looking back briefly with a wry frown, before putting her thoughts aside and running up to meet her halfway at the stairs.

"Is everything alright?"

"Y-yeah. I just... realized how little time I've actually spent here in my study." She smiled in embarrassment, meekly scratching her cheek. "Everything's gotten a bit dusty."

"Ah, right. Your allergies... Well, we'll just have to clean it when we get back!"

Twilight stared back at her blankly, cocking her head and crinkling her brow. "Back from where, Rainbow? You know you've still neglected to tell me where it is you're taking me exactly..."

She cantered down the stairs, Rainbow hovering in the air beside her as they approached the front doors.

Rainbow grinned, landing beside her as she exclaimed, "That's 'cause I want it to be a surprise, Twi!"

She threw open the front door, before crouching forward, and smiling back at her excitedly.

"Now hop on!"


"Can I open my eyes now?"

"Mm... Not quite yet, Twi."

Twilight deadpanned as she rested her head on the back of Rainbow's neck, pouting her lips. Really? It feels like we've been soaring for a good half hour, she grumbled in thought. Where are you taking me, Rain—?

"Aaaand now we're here," Rainbow announced suddenly, snapping her from her thoughts.

Twilight lifted her head, and tentatively peered over her girlfriend's mane... warm sunlight immediately hitting her face, as well as a cool breeze that blew through her hair as her eyes slowly adjusted, then widened in awe of the paradisaical view laid out before her.

Deep-blue skies that stretched over the green, mountainous landscape for as far as she could see... and enormous, white puffy clouds that drifted across the sky like islands in a vast, open sea. Rainbow waterfalls poured forth the clouds, the ends of which evaporated into a mist that refracted rainbow light radiantly across the picturesque landscape, that seemingly sparkled in the mid-afternoon sunlight.

Beneath them sat a lake of rainbow-colored water, and a wide waterfall with the same coloration that emptied out into it, surrounded by grassy fields that rippled as a pleasant wind blew across the land.

"Wow..." was all Twilight could think to say, uttering it breathlessly.

Rainbow grinned back at her. "Pretty neat, huh?"

Twilight laughed, softly shaking her head. "That's putting it lightly," she nevertheless agreed. "What is this place?"

"W-well... I, uh... don't know actually," Rainbow meekly admitted, shying her gaze away in embarrassment. Twilight's smile fell, and she gazed down at her girlfriend quizzically.

"You don't—?"

Before she could get another word out, Rainbow hastily went on to explain, "I-I just found it while taking sort of a roundabout way back from the weather factory some time back... and I may have thought that today would be the perfect day to finally show you."

"So you've been keeping this a secret from me?"

"N-not deliberately, Twi! I just figured that it was something you needed to see for yourself. Wasn't sure if you'd have believed me, had I told you about this place existing."

"What? A valley full of rainbow waterfalls? I dunno, Rainbow..." She smiled warmly, tightening her hold ever so slightly around her girlfriend's shoulders in a loving notion. "I'd say my suspension of disbelief has been broadened a lot since I met you..." Rainbow smiled softly, placing a hoof of her own over one of hers as Twilight proceeded to ask, "Think this is all related to the weather factory?"

"Well the rainbows there are made artificially, so... I'd say probably, yeah," she replied.

"You don't think we're intruding, do you?"

Rainbow mumbled an indifferent "I dunno," only to receive an earful from her fiancée.

"What do you mean, I dunno?" Twilight shot back, incredulously.

Rainbow flinched. "I-I'll just, uh, you know... smooth it out with them if any workers spot us. I am one of them after all." She grinned back at Twilight, somewhat easing her nerves.

"Well... alright, Rainbow, I believe you."

"Cool! So, um... what would you like to do? Maybe do some sightseeing, or—?"

"Honestly, Rainbow?" Twilight nodded her head in agreement. "Yes. I think I... I-I'd like to take in all there is to see. Think you could fly us around?"

"Heh. Sure thing, Twi," she agreed with a grin of determination, regaining her momentum.

She cruised through the sky at a leisurely pace, weaving in and out between the suspended waterfalls. The cool and refreshing mist that the water generated gently splashed them, and the sun's light refracted a rainbow hue that decorated their coats as they flew by.

The whole scene brought a smile to their faces, and an excitement that Rainbow could no longer keep bottled up.

"Hey, Twi. Hold on to me, okay?"

Twilight, whose mind was focused on her surroundings, absentmindedly replied, "You know you don't have to ask, Rainbooowwwww—!" Her words turned into a shrill shriek as Rainbow unexpectedly steered them towards the water below. Twilight gulped as they steadily picked up speed. "When I asked if you could fly us around, I was sort of inferring you do so at a leisurely pace!"

"Trust me, Twi. You're gonna love this a whole lot more!"

Rainbow eased up on her descent, stopping just a few inches short of the water's surface, parting it as she sped off, picking up speed once more. She grinned, feeling the rush of wind against her face, and the thrill of having cascading water walls on either side of her.

Twilight all the while, simply marveled at her reflection in the rainbow waves, before then closing her eyes and leaning her head back, relishing in the cool mist, and in the feeling of skating on water, light as a feather.

Her girlfriend looked back at her for a moment, then smiled deviously as a playful thought entered her mind.

Twilight gasped, shaken back to reality by Rainbow turning onto her side.

"R-Rainbow!" she scolded in a playful tone, glaring down at her.

Rainbow chuckled to herself, straightening back out as she made a turn for the large waterfall emptying into the very body of water they were flying over. She slowed down for a moment as she approached the base before rocketing up along the side of it, emerging over the water's crest within seconds in spectacular fashion, and bringing with her a rush of water that rained down both around them... and directly over them.

The two immediately deadpanned.

Ah well... Rainbow swooped down to the edge of the waterfall, setting herself and Twilight down on the grass as they softly caught their breath. Water droplets dripped from their partially-soaked manes and fur as they turned to address the other.

They met one another's flushed expressions, and smiled shyly.

"So, uh... how was—?"

Twilight closed the gap between them as she kissed her passionately, her heart pounding wildly in her chest.

"Exhilarating, Rainbow... as always," she whispered sweetly, pulling away. "Even if it wasn't quite what I had in mind..."

"Heh... yeah, well... hey! You know how spontaneous I am, Twi." She struck a triumphant pose, puffing out her chest, "I mean, you know I'm a true, blue mare of action!"

Twilight let out a soft laugh at her fiancée's little play on words. "Yes... I know, Rainbow," she replied, bearing a loving smile.


The sun began to dip over the horizon as the two of them now laid back together by the roaring waterfall, gazing out at the sunset. Twilight rested her head over Rainbow's chest, while Rainbow held a foreleg around her... her other foreleg resting comfortably behind her head.

Twilight let out a content sigh. "I could spend all day out here..."

"We sort of just did, Twi," Rainbow remarked with a soft grin.

At that, Twilight narrowed her eyes. "You know what I meant."

The two slipped back into silence for but a moment before she spoke back up.

"You know... maybe my head's still in the clouds... but after today, I... I think I'd like to spend more time in the sky."

"...What're you getting at, Twi?"

"I think that... I'd like to visit your hometown."

"Hometown?" Rainbow's brow furrowed as she sat up, looking down at her girlfriend inquisitively.

Twilight sat up as well, looking back at Rainbow, and meeting her confused gaze.

"I'm talking about Cloudsdale, Rainbow,"

Rainbow's eyes flew open in realization.

"O-oh! Um, right, right... Sorry," she apologized, giving her head a quick shake. "I just haven't really thought about that place in a long while."

Twilight nodded in understanding, bearing a thoughtful smile as she looked off. "I just thought it'd be a nice getaway, you know? It'd be a nice opportunity for me to experience more of your world—and hey! We have a wedding coming up, and we've yet to inform your parents. Not to mention..." Twilight lowered her voice, and leaned in to nuzzle her fiancée's cheek. "You've still yet to introduce me..."

Rainbow gave a humorless chuckle in response. "Y-yeah," she agreed, silently gulping as she averted her gaze away.

M-my parents, huh? She chewed her inner lip anxiously, her chest growing heavy.

Seriously, Twi...?


Day 326

"So... Twi and me are planning on taking a trip to Cloudsdale tomorrow," Rainbow mentioned, somewhat out of the blue as she sat seated on one of the wooden swings in a park near Canterlot Castle.

Cadance sat beside her on a separate swing, lending an ear, and looking over at her puzzled.

"What's wrong with that?" she asked the younger pony. "It sounds like a fun little getaway."

Rainbow however, breathed out a sigh... shaking her head sorrowfully.

"If you call us going there to meet my parents fun," she grumbled.

Cadance gazed back at her, surprised at first before it all dawned on her.

"You're nervous, aren't you?"

Rainbow averted her eyes, biting her lip before nodding reluctantly.

"I see..." Cadance turned to the sky. "I would be too, I suppose..."

"T-though... don't get me wrong, Cadance!" Rainbow held her hoof out reassuringly. "I'm excited as well, I just..."

"You haven't gotten back your memories... have you?" the alicorn princess surmised, turning back to her with a pensive gaze.

"Of my parents?" Rainbow gave her head a solemn shake. "No, n-not really..."

"...And you don't remember how things ended between you and them, or... if they even want to see you again... Is that right?"

Rainbow looked over at her friend, amazed.

"Am I really that easy to read?"

"Actually... I was just speculating... But I'm glad to know that I guessed correctly!"

She winked at her, Rainbow smiling, humored as she rolled her eyes... looking on ahead.

"Twi just thinks the trip will be good for me, and not just because it might jog my memories of them. Plus, she uh, wants to meet them, and introduce herself as their daughter's awesome new girlfriend... and possibly bring up our engagement—"

Cadance cut her off with a gasp, reaching out and setting a hoof over her foreleg.

"You two are engaged?"

"Uh..." Rainbow shied her gaze away as her cheeks reddened. "Right... G-guess I forgot to mention that I, uh... proposed to her a while back..."

She chuckled awkwardly, turning back towards Cadance with a sorry smile.

Cadance however, was too overcome with emotion to even notice.

"That's incredible, Rainbow," she gushed, then smiled slyly. "You know I thought I sensed something different about you, but wasn't quite sure what it was. Can't say I was expecting something like that though..."

"Yeah, well..." She looked off, meekly scratching the back of her head. "Again, I really am sorry for not telling you sooner..."

Cadance waved her hoof assuredly.

"Oh it's okay... sooo long as I'm invited?"

She finished with a hopeful expression, Rainbow looking back at her, and garnishing a humored smile.

"Totally!" she exclaimed, her mood lighting right back up. "I mean, Twilight would so totally freak if you were to make it!"

"Then I'll try not to miss it," Cadance replied, then paused, pursing her lips in thought. "You meant 'freak' in a good way, right?"

"Oh, totally."

"Just making sure. You know... we sure do get sidetracked a lot whenever we're together."

Rainbow turned to her in total agreement. "Right?"

Cadance tilted her head in her friend's direction, cracking a soft grin. "So how about we get back to what you were saying earlier, about your parents, and Cloudsdale."

"Oh, uhm... right." Rainbow turned her gaze to the sky, staring up aimlessly at the rolling clouds. "I'm just nervous, you know? I mean, it's my first time seeing them again in who knows how long, and... sure I know what they look like and where they live, but... I feel like... I'll have no idea what to say, or... or how to even act around them, you know?"

Cadance nodded her head softly in understanding. "Mhm... Well, hey... at least Twilight will be there with you, if you find yourself needing emotional support, or advice... guidance even."

Rainbow nodded softly. "I guess that's true..."

Cadance frowned at her friend's rather... unenthusiastic response, biting her lip in thought. There must be something I can do to lighten her mood...

A sudden light bulb went off above her head and her face beamed at the idea it had given her.

She reached over, setting a hoof of hers on Rainbow's foreleg. "Hey, wanna know what used to cheer Twilight up whenever she was nervous or stressed?"

Rainbow looked back at her funnily. "I—"

Before she could answer, Cadance leaped down from her swing, and began dancing on the spot, singing a brief little song that made Rainbow speechless, even after she was finished.

Rainbow's lips parted but no words came out, staring dumbfounded at what she had just bared witness to.

Cadance noticed the expression on her friend's face, as well as the lingering silence, and sheepishly smiled... staring at her from over her shoulder, rump raised high in the air.

Rainbow couldn't help it, her lips curling into a smile as they trembled uncontrollably, struggling to keep her laughter contained.

Cadance composed herself, spinning around quickly as she cleared her throat. "I mean, you know... i-if Twilight ever needs comforting," she explained, cheeks stained a deep red.

Rainbow breathed out, calming herself before replying... a slight, humored smile still present on her lips.

"Yeah..." she said, drawing out the syllable, "that's never gonna happen."