• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 2,134 Views, 93 Comments

One By One - Hodd



As time drags on, only Applejack can tell the tale of their bravery using the elements of harmony.

  • ...
5
 93
 2,134

The Memorial

It had been sixty years to the day, since Applejack, Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash had used the Elements of Harmony to defeat Discord once and for all. The celebration was always a grand one, with streamers and ribbon adorning the open vastness of the Canterlot Castle Ball Room. This time, however, a small emptiness resinated from each guest, as if by a sixth sense that told them, it was different. Of course the annual celebration of the valor and bravery displayed by the six closest friends Equestria had ever known was always a grand one, and this was no exceptions, but still, there was that ever lingering hint of a certain emptiness.The main ball room stretched a hundred feet at least, and the windowed dome displayed Luna's majestic sky to the party patrons. Balloons and decorations were hung from the ceilings and ledges, statues crafted just for the occasion stood vigil at the entrance, greeting the arriving guests, and Princess Celestia herself stood proudly at the stage beside the flower adorned collection of 5 portraits. Applejack let out a heavy sigh as she prepared herself to walk out in front of the large crowd that had congregated in front of the stage.

A drone of applause rose and then gradually faded as the old orange mare took her place at the podium, struggling as her old bones fought against her. She took a deep breath, and glanced at the Princess who ushered her to continue. A quick, informal nod indicated that Applejack was ready to start. "Evenin," she said with her usual casualness. "Well, as ya'll know, it was sixty years since we used the Elements to defeat Discord. And, uh, pardon in advance, if my speech ain't the best. I never was one to speak in front of a crowd," she explained, a small sense of desperation building inside her. "Well... First of all, thank you for coming, it means a lot to me, and I know that if they were here, they'd be mighty grateful." Her gaze switched to the 5 portraits behind her. A tear formed in her eye, as memories flooded over her. She immediately shook away the feeling and returned her attention to the crowd. "As ya'll know, the others, have uh," she said, a lump forming in her throat. "Passed on." She gave in, and let a few tears flow from her face.

A quiet sympathetic murmur rose from the crowd, but was quickly silenced, as Applejack straightened up her weathered figure, signifying that she was about to continue. "That day we used the Elements of Harmony to send Discord back to where he belonged. His chaos couldn't hurt anypony anymore," she said. "That was the day that I truly, even more than when we first used the elements, realized that my friends were the most important thing I'd ever come across," She paused for a moment. "I guess I'm here to tell ya'll one thing," she said. "If there's anything that I've learned from Twi, Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy, or Rainbow, it's that friendship is the most important thing in life, and sometimes, It's all ya got." A tear started to form in her eye. "And sometimes, when things seem dark, you just gotta stop and think, even if your friends aren't with you, about how much they mean to you, and about what they want for you." She was clearly still in a sensitive state, since Twilight Sparkle had passed only weeks earlier. "Even when you're alone," she continued. "You just need to remember that your friends are always there, and even if not here not physically, they will always be in your heart. As long as you believe, they will never fade away."

Slow, somber, meaningful applause rose from the silence, as it was made clear that Applejack had finished. The applause morphed into a roar of clapping, as the audience absorbed her heartfelt speech. She turned to the Princess, who with a glistening in her eye, gave her an approving nod. She nodded back, a tear flowing from her, and then walked over to the 5 portraits. "I know ya'll are waiting for me," she said, a sad smile on her face. "Don't worry yourselves, I won't be long," Applejack said as she slowly meandered off stage. A slow feeling of completeness washed over her. A smile formed on her face, as she made her way to her room. "Well," she said to no one in particular, as she approached her borrowed bed. "I'm ready." Her eyelids slowly shut, as she felt herself carry away. She was exhausted physically, but her mind was clear until sleep came and wrapped her in its loving embrace. It was the most peaceful sleep she'd ever known, and once again a small grin appeared on her face as she was ready to drift into a peaceful slumber; one that she was perfectly content with never having to be woken from again, ready to meet her 5 lost friends once more.