• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 2,132 Views, 93 Comments

One By One - Hodd



As time drags on, only Applejack can tell the tale of their bravery using the elements of harmony.

  • ...
5
 93
 2,132

A Familiar Dream

Applejack trotted into town, eagerly awaiting her weekly trip to see Twilight. These trips had become the highlight of her week, and one of the last facets she had left to depend on. She rounded the corner near Twilight's library, and soon found herself approaching the Grey Mare, a restaurant they designated to meet at every week. A warm smile crept across her face as a lavender unicorn came into view. "Twi!" she called out in excitement. "Oh hi, Applejack!" Twilight replied, eager to see her friend. They met up under the dark green awning that sheltered the eating tables from the bright Equestrian sun. Applejack and Twilight sat down, and began to wait for somepony to take their order. Twilight was the first to break the silence. "Applejack," she began, "I know it's been hard since Big Macintosh left us. Even after ten years, I know it hurts, and if you ever need somepony to talk to, I'll be here" Applejack let out a small sigh. She'd been waiting a long time to get this off her chest. "Times change fast, Twi. In the last twenty years, I've seen seven of the people I'm closest to fade away. I know it sounds strange, but don't take life for granted, Twilight. Always appreciate what ya got, cause it can vanish in an instant." Twilight was almost taken back at the solemnity from Applejack. It almost didn't seem like her. She had always been so laid back, so casual, but now, she spoke with such a wise tongue, that Twilight was nearly stunned.

Twilight was unsure of how to respond, until Applejack's eyes locked gazes with hers. She had a strange smile on her face; one of appreciation, Twilight realized. "Everyone has a time to go, Twi," said Applejack. "Just promise me that ya won't go before then." Applejack had been through so much, Twilight realized. Twilight had definitely not taken the losses well, either, but Applejack always seemed to be hurt the most by them. She looked at her old friend, and could tell by the look in her eyes, that she was one of the only things Applejack had left. Applejack let out a small sniff. "I uh... I never told anyone this," she said, "but ever since Fluttershy left us, I've been havin' these dreams." She paused a moment before continuing. "Every time I'd have one of those dreams, I'd be in a bright white place, and then I'd hear a voice... I'd hear Fluttershy. I'd look over real quick at where the voice was comin' from, and I'd see..." she trailed off, a sob interrupting her. "I'd see them. I'd see Fluttershy, and Rainbow, and the rest. They'd always be standin' next to each other, almost like they were waitin' for me. And that's when I would wake up... I never get to talk to 'em, or even get a good look at 'em. They're just there, then gone."

It struck Twilight then, just how deeply Applejack still grieved over their friends. "They say time heals all wounds," Applejack continued. "Well... I beg to differ. I miss 'em all just the way I did the day after they passed. Ain't a day goes by when I don't think about 'em. I tell ya, Twi, it still hurts." Twilight let a tear form in her eye. Applejack was suffering, she realized; suffering from an ailment with no cure, suffering from a wound that won't heal. "Applejack," she started. "I'm so sorry. I didn't realize how much you still missed them."
"No need to apologize, Twi. Isn't your fault." She let a tear fall from her face. "I mean, after all, we'll get to see 'em sooner or later anyway." These words echoed in Twilight's head. She knew what Applejack meant.