• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 2,132 Views, 93 Comments

One By One - Hodd



As time drags on, only Applejack can tell the tale of their bravery using the elements of harmony.

  • ...
5
 93
 2,132

See You Soon

Applejack had an early start on the day; another nightmare had awoken her from her slumber. She now sat hunched over the breakfast table, a frustrated sigh escaping her. The nightmares, at first, were sparing, perhaps one a month would interrupt her sleep. But now, images of her friends flashed in her dreams, plaguing her mind with memories of the past, jarring her awake night after night. She was almost used to them by now. After so long, even the most heavy of burdens can be shrugged aside.

Her thoughts were interrupted by heavy hoof steps from behind her. "Oh, hey big Mac," she said. "Up a little early aren't ya?" Big Macintosh let out a sigh followed by the expected "Eeyup." But something was off, Applejack knew. Even though he rarely spoke, nopony knew Big Mac like Applejack did, and something wasn't right today. "Something wrong?" she inquired. "There's been a dragon attack in Hoofington. They're drafting the most physically able Colts from Canterlot, Cloudsdale, and Ponyville," he answered. The last in the list of towns hit applejack straight in the chest. Dragon attacks were few and far between, but left massive amounts of devastation in their wake. "AJ," he continued. "I'll be OK, I promise." This was no consolation for Applejack. After Granny Smith passed away, Applebloom and Big Mac were the only close family that remained. Most of the Apple family dispersed across Equestria, each finding their own walk of life, adding to Applejack's reliance on what little family connections remained.

She felt a lump form in her throat. Losing Big Macintosh was something she'd never even thought of until now. The thought made her feel sick. She hunched over the table, desperately trying to force out the world. A red hoof slid around her back. It was comforting. It reminded her of the nights when she was a little filly, and the older ponies from the Family would tell scary mare's tales like the Mare in the Moon. Big Mac was always there to reassure her that everything was alright, and make her feel safe. He was her best friend. The embrace lasted for what seemed like an eternity. "You'll be careful, won't ya big brother?" she asked. "Eeyup." It was funny how even in the most dire situations, Big Mac could always react so calmly. "Write us whenever you can. And promise me you'll be safe."

"Applejack? What's goin on?" Applejack turned to see Applebloom, watching intently from the doorway. "Um," Applejack stammered, trying to find the words to tell her little sister. "Nothin. Big Mac has to go on a trip for a little while." Once again, her honesty shone through, proving her to be Equestria's worst liar. "Applejack, what's really going on? Tell me." Applejack searched an answer. "I can't," was the only response she could muster. "You have to stop treating me like I'm a filly! I may be your younger sister, but I'm not a baby, and I deserve to know!" exclaimed Applebloom. This was true. She was no longer the little filly that Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, or Rarity knew. She was nearly a full grown mare. She deserved to know. Applejack looked at Big Macintosh. A slow nod met her gaze.

**************************

The first letter came only 3 days after Big Mac left. He was always a pony one can count on, and today was no exception. "Applebloom!" called Applejack from the dining room of their farm house. "Big Macintosh sent us our first letter!" Almost instantly, Applebloom was peering over Applejack's shoulder, trying to make out Big Mac's simple print. "Ok, ok, hold your horses, sis," Applejack said, a small laugh evident in her speech. Applebloom complied, and sat in a chair across from her older sister. "Ahem," said Applejack, about to read the letter aloud. "Dear Family, I reached Hoofington just fine, and they're treatin' me just fine. The camp ain't much to look at, but from the look things, the dragons have left, and the damage is bein' fixed up right. The big-wigs want us to stay another two nights, though, say they need to be sure that the dragons are really gone. I'll be back soon. Ya'll keep the farm safe til I come back. See you soon." Applejack gave a smile, looking back over the letter once more. "He's gonne be alright," Applejack assured Applebloom, putting her hoof around her little sister. "Before we know it, he'll be back buckin' as usual."

**************************

It was 5 days until the next letter had come. Applejack had begun to worry, and was ecstatic to see a small envelope lying in the mailbox, Big Mac's handwriting spelling out "Applejack." She hadn't even bothered to tell Applebloom about the letter before tearing it open, and reading it's contents. Dear family, all is fine here in Hoofington, and I'll be comin' back home soon! A mighty friendly hotel owner and his daughter are lettin' me stay there until all the ruckus is cleared up. It's lookin' like I may have to stay another day or two, cause of all the damage done. Don't wait up for me. Applejack was confused by this. Big Mac had always been upfront with her, but something about this didn't add up. Surely all the damage was fixed, and the roads were always kept in check in Hoofington. With hesitation, she shrugged it aside. Something wasn't quite right, but she couldn't worry herself about that. She had an orchard to run!

"Applejack?" Appleblooms voice echoed from upstairs, followed by hoofsteps descending into the living room. Applejack quickly grabbed the letter with her teeth, and stuffed it in her saddlebag, not exactly sure why she was hiding this from Applebloom. "Hey Applejack," Applebloom said, "Big Mac write us yet?"
"Uh, no not yet," she stammered. "Well, tell me as soon as he does!"
"I know," she said. With that, Applebloom set off bucking. Applejack let out a sigh. Please be back soon

**************************

Applejack began to grow suspicious after two and a half weeks. A letter was sent about every two days until recently, when Big Mac didn't mail them for five days. The letter he sent was strange. It described, in detail, the family of the Hotel Owner, and, specifically, his daughter. The letter described how great their family was, and how hospitable the Hotel Owner's daughter, Scarlet, was. He described her interests, talents, hobbies, siblings, and took up nearly half the letter talking about her. Applejack could sense something wrong. Being the element of honesty, Applejack had always had her own kind of Pinkie Sense; being able to sense something fishy was going on. She sighed, and finished up reading the last paragraph before putting the letter into the drawer where the rest layed. She noticed something after refolding the letter, and sliding it back into it's slightly yellowed envelope. It had no return address. Something is wrong thought Applejack. Something is very wrong.

**************************

Applejack began writing frantically after another five days to the address that the first two letters had, but to no avail. Not a single letter was answered. Finally, Applejack started to give up. Why isn't he writing? Is he hurt? Is he ok? Did he get lost on the way back? In the back of her mind, she knew what was going on, but refused to confirm it. Day after day she waited, desperately checking the mailbox to see if Big Mac was alright. Applebloom knew no response would come. If Big Mac were alright, he would've responded by now. Whatever happened, he wasn't likely to come back. She didn't dare tell Applejack this though. She had lost so much, Applebloom couldn't bear to tell her Big Macintosh wouldn't return.

Applebloom was sitting in her room reading a book. Might as well check the mail, she thought to herself. She trotted to the road, and opened the mailbox to see a single envelope laying inside. "Applejack, Applejack!!!" Applebloom was sprinting from the mailbox toward the farm house. "We got a letter! Read it, read it!" Applejack snatched the letter, and tore it open. It wasn't Big Macintosh's hoofwriting. It was more eloquent, and practiced. "I'll be in my room, if ya need me, big sis." Applebloom trotted up the stairs, as Applejack began to read the letter, a knot of nervousness forming in her chest.

Dear Apple Family, it is with heavy heart that we inform you that your older sibling, Big Macintosh, was involved in an accident while traveling back from helping with the dragon crisis. Excavation crews were working on a new road between Ponyville and Hoofington, and the process required blasting large areas with high explosives. A misfire caused a severe avalanche to occur on the slopes of Mt. Pegasus. Unfortunately, Big Macintosh had been walking along the old road, which was a danger site, and was caught up in the avalanche. We're sorry for your loss. If only he had departed a day or two earlier.

A cold hand gripped Applejacks chest, and her stomach wrenched. Just like that, the pony that kept her company all her life was gone. The warm welcoming presence of her older brother had now been extinguished. A familiar feeling she hoped never to experience again tormented the pit of her stomach, and her muscles became weak. She collapsed hard on the kitchen floor, but felt no pain. Tears fell from her face, as sobs erupted from her. "Applejack?" It was Applebloom. Oh Celestia, how can I tell her? "What's wrong, AJ?" she asked, fearing the news. Applejack bit her lip, and held back a series of sobs. "Big Macintosh ain't coming back."