• Published 28th Oct 2013
  • 3,772 Views, 134 Comments

Surviving in a Strange Two Legged World - aCB



Twilight's friends must brave the horrors of the human world in order to save her. Now with 50% more AppleDash! (Just pay shipping)

  • ...
25
 134
 3,772

10- Applejack's Mistake

Carmine sighed, “Spike, there’s something you should probably know about me…”

Spike looked at his new friend with hesitant curiosity. What could she possibly have to say that would merit this anxiousness from her? How does she know so much about what’s going on? He took a seat next to Twilight on the cold crystal floor of the warehouse and listened politely as she began.

“The truth is, I’m not just a nurse. I’m also a spy.”

Spike gasped.

“Yeah, I know how that sounds. But please listen; we don't have a lot of time. You see, there was this group that formed right after the empire returned, called the Black Crystal Disciples. They formed a plan to bring back King Sombra.”

“Is that even possible?”

“They didn’t know at first. But then they found something – the Kīla of Gothmog.” She cast her eyes over toward the dagger embedded in Twilight. “It was designed by a dark god - Gothmog - thousands of years ago. Like you know, anypony it pierces is pinned until the one who cut them releases them. But it had another function. You see, whoever it pins is actually stuck between worlds, between life and death. They can form a sort of bridge between this world and the afterlife and allow the dead to cross back into the world of the living.”

“You mean it can bring dead ponies back to life?”

“Yes,” Carmine responded grimly, “But it isn’t free. To resurrect a soul requires the payment of a soul - the soul of the one who is entrapped.”

“So Twilight…?”

“Yes.”

Spike held his head in his claws. He had never really stopped to wonder what other ramifications Twilight’s misfortune may bring. He had always just assumed AJ and Rainbow Dash would bring back the other Twilight, she would free her, and they could all go back to Ponyville and continue everything like it once was. Why couldn’t things ever be simple? This was a lot to take in, and he felt weary and exhausted well beyond his years.

“So this group – the Disciples – they’re planning to use Twilight to bring back King Sombra?”

“Yes. As far as I can tell, they need three things to accomplish that - the kīla, a very powerful unicorn to perform the spell, and something called the Altar of the Gods. The unicorn they would use to perform the spell would obviously be their leader – Grimm Shado. He’s the only one I know of that’s powerful enough.”

“And the Altar of the Gods?”

Carmine sighed, “I don’t know. I can be very good at being sneaky, but I never overheard them talk about it other than mention it briefly. I don’t know what it is, and I don’t know for sure if they’ve found it. I hope they haven’t, but I don’t think they would have started with their plan like this if they haven’t.”

Spike was in shock, but even so, there was one question he noticed Carmine hadn’t answered.

“You still haven’t told me what all this has to do with you…”

“Well, I wasn’t supposed to tell you,” she started, “But we also weren’t planning for the Disciples to attack, either. There’s actually a group, a very old group, that’s dedicated themselves to ensuring Sombra never returns. They call themselves the Resistance. I’m a part of it.

“They’re led by a unicorn named Agister. He got me a position as Twilight’s nurse, and told me that no matter what, make sure that Grimm never got a hold of her, or you.”

“Well, I guess that explains that,” Spike said, “I guess the only question left is what to do now.”

“Well, if you look at what they need to perform the resurrection, there’s two ways to stop them,” Carmine responded thoughtfully, “One is to kill Grimm, which would require an army, really. I’ve heard stories of him killing hundreds in the span of minutes back during Sombra’s reign.

“The only other thing is to free Twilight. And I think you know the only way that can happen.”

Spike sighed. He did know. The fate of all of Equestria was in the hands of two mares who weren’t even in the same universe as them. He hoped that Rainbow Dash and Applejack had found the other Twilight. He wondered what they were doing right now. Have they found Sunset Shimmer? Were they figuring out how to reopen the portal? Were they gathering an army?

He could only wonder.

***

“And did you see her apartment? It was a total pad! She had the…”

“It was a pigsty, sugarcube.”

“Yeah, but it was an awesome pigsty! She had the beer cans all arranged like some sort of art, and…”

“Could we stop talking about the human Rainbow for a few minutes?” asked Applejack wearily. Rainbow had foregone her usual position in the truck’s bed on the way home so she could enamor her companions about her human counterpart, talking mostly about how radical she was, but she occasionally taking a break and discussing her coolness, instead. After what felt like hours, they pulled up to the farmhouse and hopped out.

“I think somebody’s got a crush…” Human-AJ smirked.

“What! I do not…” Rainbow responded indignantly, but the uncertainty in her voice betrayed her.

“Oh come on, she asked you out on a date!” Applejack retorted with annoyance.

“Nah, she was just saying that. I mean, I’m Rainbow Dash, remember? I would never date a hairless flesh-thing. Right?”

If she had sounded slightly unsure before, she definitely showed it this time. Applejack groaned in frustration. She was feeling incredibly irritable, but she had no idea why. Was it because Rainbow was obsessing over that obvious troublemaker? Was it because she was tired of hearing about her? Well, it certainly wasn’t because she was jealous... right? She pushed the thought from her head.

“What’s the game plan?” she asked Human-AJ, desperate to change the subject.

“Well, Ah called Fluttershy, but she says she's gonna be busy all night. Ah guess we have some time ta kill. Is there anything y’all wanted ta do?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow responded brusquely, “You promised me I could use the tractor thingy…”

Human-AJ smiled, “Yeah, Ah guess Ah did, didn’t Ah? Well come on then, let’s go get ‘er.”

She led them to the barn and pulled open the gargantuan doors. Both pony-girls gaped at the metal behemoth waiting inside. It was twice as tall as either of them, and its dirty yellow frame of thick steel stood resilient before them. It was more intimidating than anything they'd ever seen in Equestria. Well, maybe except a dragon. Human-AJ collected a green container from near the door and proceeded to empty it into the tank of the vehicle.

“What’s that stuff?” Applejack asked.

“What, this here? Diesel. It’s what makes things go. Y’all don’t have engines where you come from?”

“Well, it’s really weird. The train that goes from Ponyville ta Canterlot runs on its own, but the train that goes from Ponyville ta Appleloosa is pulled by ponies. We don’ really have any vehicles besides that.”

“What about those Harvest Day Parade floats?” Rainbow reminded.

“Oh yeah. Ah don’ rightly know how those work. Now that Ah think about it, why don' we just drive those around everywhere?”

“Sounds like yer technology’s pretty inconsistent,” Human-AJ remarked as she coaxed the tractor to life.

“Ya don’ know the half of it.”

Human-AJ slowly drove the machine out of the barn. AJ marveled at how loud and powerful it was. Maybe humans were completely useless at bucking apple trees, but if they had marvels like this, who cared?

“Alright, Rainbow, jump on up here!” the human girl called. Rainbow giggled with glee and climbed onto the large machine as quickly as she could, jumping into the operator's chair and eying the controls hungrily.

“Alrighty. This here’s your accelerator. Push that with your foot ta go faster,” Human-AJ instructed as she pointed out the different controls, “This is your brake. That makes ya slow down. Of course, you got your steering wheel, but Ah’m sure ya already know what that does.”

“What about all these?” Rainbow asked, pointing at an array of levers and switches around the driver’s seat.

“Those operator the bucket and such. Don’ worry about those. Just concentrate on not crashin’.”

“Don’t worry. I'm an expert at not crashing."

Both Applejacks exchanged bemused smiles at this statement. Apparently no matter what world she’s from, Rainbow Dash had a penchant for collisions.

“Just don’t hit any of the buildings, sugarcube.”

Human-AJ jumped off the tractor and stood beside their counterpart. Tender smiles crossed their faces as Rainbow pushed the accelerator carefully, biting her tongue in concentration.

“She’s somethin’ else, ain’t she?” noted Human-AJ.

“Yeah, she is,” responded her counterpart, gazing at the girl in question, who was now pushing the gas pedal as hard as she could, attempted to jump a small hill.

“You like ‘er, don’t cha?”

AJ flinched, “What? Where’d ya get that idea?”

The human smiled slyly, “Ah see the way ya look at her. Ya ain’t exactly bein’ subtle, ya know. That and how dang downcast you’ve been since we left Dash’s place.”

“Oh,” AJ responded sullenly, still looking at Rainbow, who had crossed over the hill at a snail’s pace, not so much jumping it as crushing it. Her eager smile had been replaced with an unsatisfied frown.

“Now don’t go hatin’ on mah Dash, sugarcube," the human farmer continued, "She can’t help the way she is. She jus’… well, she likes attention. Ah’m sure your Rainbow is the same way.”

“Yeah, but she doesn’t go askin’ out ponies the first day she meets ‘em! Why would she even be attracted ta someone who looks jus’ like she does?”

“Ah don’ know,” Human-AJ responded, rubbing her chin, “In all honesty, Ah though she was just jokin’ when she said ‘It’s a date’. Ah wouldn’t get too upset about it, AJ.”

“Ah can’t help it.”

“There is one thing you can do, ya know…”

“What’s that?”

“Ask her out before someone else does.”

“But Ah’m not even sure if Ah like ‘er like that!”

“Then ya better make up yer mind, quick,” Human-AJ advised as Rainbow jumped off the tractor and headed over to them with a deep frown.

“This thing is stupid,” she pouted, “Fluttershy can run faster than that dumb tractor!”

“Well Ah’m sorry, sugarcube,” Human-AJ responded with a faint smirk.

“Why can’t I drive the truck? At least it can go fast!”

“Ya can’t drive the truck without a license, hon. That's outta mah control.”

Rainbow’s face fell.

“But Ah do know of somethin’ else that might work…” she finished with an evil smile.

***

“Wow. He’s so big.”

“Are ya sure Ah should be riding him?”

“Aw, he don’t mind, sugarcube. Jus’ jump up on him and give him a good slap on the ass; he’ll take over from there.”

“Ya want me ta jus'... touch a strange pony like that? Ah don’ even know his name!”

“They're horses, not ponies," Human-AJ answered with a smirk, "The one ya got there is Tex. And Rainbow, yours is Slugger. They’re pretty well-trained, so ya shouldn’t have any problems. Ah guessing you two have done some horseback ridin’ in your day?”

“Uhm…”

“My dad gave me a piggyback ride a couple of times…” Rainbow said, knowing full well that these were two completely different situations.

“Well it ain’t that hard. Go on, get on up there.”

Applejack looked at her horse. It was one of the strangest feelings she ever had. She didn’t suppose Human-AJ would be so cavalier about this if she came to their world and was asked to ride giant, mute humans. Tex turned to look at her and whinnied. She carefully stroked his mane and allowed herself to relax. Human-AJ suddenly grabbed her, and with a great heaving effort, she was lifted up onto the horse.

Rainbow was already on her horse, and was looking down at it uncomfortably, unsure as to what to do. Human-AJ jumped with ease onto the back of her horse, an orange coated stallion. She rubbed his neck affectionately and turned to the other two girls.

“His name’s Braeburn, ‘cause he’s a dunderhead like mah cousin,” Human-AJ smiled, “The cows are out ta pasture, so we’re gonna go real slow when we get ta that direction. These are good horses; all ya gotta do is squeeze ‘em a little bit with your legs, and they’ll start off.”

Applejack looked down at Tex, still feeling strange about the awkward way she was mounted atop the stallion. She did as she was told and the horse started to move, instinctively keeping pace with Human-AJ’s and Rainbow’s. She grasped the reins loosely, trying to keep in mind what she would want if some human was riding her.

Dern humans and their legalized slavery.

They rode off as the sun began turning a deeper and more saturated color in its daily descent below the horizon. AJ wondered momentarily how these humans maintained a consistent solar cycle without magic or Princess Celestia. Probably diesel.

The human girl rode slightly ahead of them so as to be just out of earshot. AJ saw her cast a knowing smile back at her, and its message seemed obvious – 'now’s your chance to talk'. She racked her brain for something interesting and engaging to talk to Rainbow about.

“So, uh… this is kinda weird, ain’t it?” AJ started awkwardly. She could have facepalmed right there. “Kinda weird”? Well wasn’t that eloquent? What was wrong with her? She never had problems talking with Rainbow before.

“Yeah,” Dash responded distractedly as she was trying to get her horse to stop veering off to the right.

“Are ya pressin’ inta him with your leg?”

“Oh.” Rainbow stopped applying pressure to the side of her horse, and it returned to a straight path, “I knew that.”

“Is everythin’ alright, Rainbow?”

“Yeah, it’s just… I don’t know. Weird,” she said with very un-Dash-like uncertainty, “I just have a lot on my mind, I guess.”

“Like what, sugarcube?”

“Nothing…” she mumbled back, blushing slightly.

Applejack’s heart froze at that moment. Maybe she didn’t have any evidence beyond her mind trying to justify her own fears, but she knew what Rainbow was thinking about – the human Dash. She remembered her conversation with Human-AJ, and she wasn’t quite sure whether she felt that way about Rainbow, but she did know one thing – she sure as sugar didn’t want her being with that human girl.

“Something wrong, AJ?” Dash asked, looking over at the farm pony with concern.

“Oh, it’s nothin’, RD,” AJ said as she flashed her best fake smile. She really didn’t want to talk to her about this right now, even if it was killing her inside to be misleading. Her mind hastily came up with distraction.

“Hey, Rainbow,” she said with a sly look, “Ah’ll race ya ta that tree over yonder…”

Her friend’s eyes lit up, “You’re on!”

Both of them kicked in their legs against the horses, who responded by bounding forward into an impressive gallop. It was all the inexperienced girls could do to not fall off of their rides. They barreled past Human-AJ, who called after them. Neither girl could understand her from the rush of wind in their ears or the adrenaline pumping through their veins.

The tree was a half mile in the distance, and AJ was starting to pull ahead. Rainbow furrowed her brow and whipped the reins of her horse. The horse ran faster, panting, sweat beginning to form on his coat. He slowly caught up to the other horse.

AJ looked behind her and saw her opponent catching up. All previous thoughts of unease and doubt left her mind as she concentrated fully on the competition. A great smile was plastered across both girls’ faces as they reveled in the thrill of the race.

Rainbow stuck her tongue out as she passed Applejack. She responded by digging her feet into the sides of her horse and leaning forward, urging it to catch up. Come on, ya durned horse. Ah could run way faster’n this if Ah was still on four legs.

She felt almost like this race was a competition for Rainbow’s heart itself. Of course, if she’d thought about it, she’d realize that didn’t make a lot of sense, but things were so much easier when they were a physical competition of strength and skill rather than an emotional competition of words and social tact. AJ smiled. I bet I’m way better than that ole human Dash at handlin’ a stallion…

Wait a second, that didn’ sound right…

They both crested over the last hill before their destination to receive an unpleasant shock. The valley between them and the tree they were racing to was full of cattle!

The livestock before them looked up in panic at the two horses barreling down on them. Both Applejack and Rainbow Dash pulled up at the reins instinctively as the horses skidded into an emergency stop. Both girls were flung from their horses and landed on the side of the hill. They both rolled down through the mud and rock until they came to a rest thirty feet from where their mounts had stopped.

AJ coughed out a mouthful of dirt and grass as she quickly sat up and cast a worried glance over toward her friend. She rolled over and groaned. A surge of panic pulsed through AJ’s chest.

“Rainbow! Rainbow, are you okay.”

“No…” she replied flatly, “I would have won that race. Stupid cows. I’m totally going to eat them for revenge later.”

Applejack laughed in spite of herself, “Ah don’ know ‘bout that, sugarcube. Ah had…”

She trailed off as a horse galloped over the hill toward them. Human-AJ expertly brought the horse to a sharp halt next to them and dismounted with a worried look on her face.

“Are you alright?” she asked anxiously before seeing them smiling sheepishly back at her, “What the hell do y’all think you were doin’!? Didn’ ya hear me say the cows’re out ta pasture?”

“Sorry…” started Applejack.

“Ugh, it’s fine,” Human-AJ responded, “Y’all are lucky ya didn’t start a stampede, ‘cause you’d be spendin’ the rest of the night helpin’ me track ‘em all down. Come on, now. We better get back; it’s gettin’ late.”

The two pony-girls pulled themselves to their feet and started toward their horses.

“Oh, no ya don’t,” Human-AJ called after them with a smile, “Ah don’ think Ah rightly trust ya with horses anymore. Y’all are walkin’ home!”

***

Applejack lay uncomfortably in her bed after a delicious country dinner. It wasn’t the bed itself that wasn’t comfortable, but her mind. There was too much to think about, too much to consider. It had been a very long day, beginning with enjoying breakfast with Fluttershy and ending with riding giant ponies. Her thoughts and feeling changed immeasurably during the day, as well. In the morning, she felt the same as she always had, looking forward to a day of hard work. There was nothing more simple or satisfying as that. At the end, her mind was full of jealousy and doubt.

Yes, she could finally admit it. Even if she wasn’t sure that she had feelings for her friend, she was definitely jealous of that human girl. Jealous of how everyone around her seemed to like her, even though she’s everything AJ doesn’t value. AJ is careful, Human-Dash is reckless. AJ is modest, Human-Dash is a bigger braggart than the pony version. AJ values hard work, everything just seems to drop into Human-Dash’s lap. AJ is chaste, Human-Dash is a…

“Hey, Applejack. Can I come in?”

She looked up. Rainbow Dash, dressed in orange pajamas, was visible through the cracked open door. AJ sighed. She wasn’t sure she was in the right mood to talk to her right now, but it wasn’t in her to be rude. It wasn't Rainbow's fault she was upset.

“Sure. Come in.”

Rainbow entered the room and quietly shut the door behind her. She walked over and sat gingerly down on the foot of Applejack’s bed. If AJ had been in a more sound state of mind, she would have wondered about Dash’s departure from her usual demeanor. However, the only thoughts currently running through her head were frustration and resentment.

“Look, AJ,” Rainbow started, “I’ve known you for a long time. And I can tell when something isn’t right…”

“It’s nothin’,” she grumbled.

“It’s not nothing! Look, I know this whole world is kind of strange and messed up, but if there’s anypony who can understand that, it’s me. And you’ve been avoiding me all evening!”

“Jus’ drop it, Dash. I don’ wanna talk about it.”

“Is it because the other Rainbow Dash pranked us? She was just…”

“Don’t you bring her up!” Applejack’s temper flared at the mention of the human girl.

“Jeesh. Alright. You know, she’s really not that bad…”

“Of course. Ah forgot. She’s jus’ a goddess on two legs to ya, isn’t she? So how long you gonna make her wait tomorrow before ya let ‘er buck ya?”

Rainbow stood quickly with a look of resentment, “What? What is your problem!?”

Applejack jumped out of the bed as well. She felt great satisfaction about taking out her feelings on her friend, even though she knew in the back of her head that it was wrong. The logical side of her mind screamed that she was being mean and unreasonable, while the emotional side ignored it.

“So how long have ya been a fillyfooler, huh? How come you never told me? Or am Ah jus’ not that important to ya?”

Rainbow’s cheeks grew red, “I’m not a fillyfooler!”

AJ could feel something about Dash’s demeanor, maybe it was the power of the Element of Honesty, but there seemed to be something dishonest about her answer. So Dash was going to lie to her now? She sneered as her anger built more.

“Oh yeah? Is that what you told Lightning Dust at that academy of yours? Did ya tell her ya weren’t a fillyfooler as you were moanin’ her name?”

Rainbow’s eyes went wide. The look on her face quickly shifted from anger. She was hurt, offended. Applejack felt it, and her sneer fell. She immediately regretted those last words.

“Rainbow, Ah…”

“I don’t know why it matters to you,” Rainbow said with tears starting to form in her eyes, “And I don’t know who told you about that. But I never slept with Lightning Dust. I had a crush on her, alright? She was the only pony I ever met who flew as good as me. I kissed her once, but then I found out what kind of pony she was.”

Applejack stammered, suddenly filled with sorrow at how much she hurt her friend’s feelings.

“I thought you were my friend, Applejack,” Rainbow Dash said, tears streaming down her cheeks, “If I upset you this much, then I’ll just leave you alone from now on.”

“Rainbow, wait…”

She wasn’t listening, however, and quickly strode across the room and slammed the door shut. AJ stood staring in shock. Great job, ya durned idiot. She fell back onto her bed and buried her head into her pillow miserably. Tears started pouring out of her eyes. Normally, she would fight them; she was stronger than that. But the misery that flowed through her mind was unbearable. The tears came, and the sobs followed soon after.

Why does she have to be so honest? Why couldn’t she just keep her big mouth shut? Why couldn't she just say that nothing was wrong and make it sound believable? Sure, she’d still be miserable and upset, but at least Rainbow wouldn’t be. It’s not like yelling at her accomplished anything.

They had fights before, of course. It was usually when their ego’s got in each others' way. Like when they had that stupid race. Or when they chose different sides in the Appleoosa incident. But it never felt this personal before. And it never hurt this much.

Knock. Knock.

Someone was at the door. She quickly tried to compose herself and wipe the tears away. She wasn’t sure she wanted to talk to Rainbow right now; she didn’t know if her heart could take it. She turned over reluctantly to say as much, but it wasn’t Rainbow at the door.

It was Applebloom.

AJ raised her eyebrow in confusion, “Applebloom? Ah don’ know if Ah feel up ta talkin’ right now…”

“Ah heard you guys yellin’,” she responded as she came in, “Didja have a fight?”

Applejack sighed. If Applebloom heard them, then there was a good chance the whole house did. She really didn’t want to explain this to everybody.

“Yeah, a little one. Why don’t ya get off ta bed, then, Applebloom? It’s gettin’ late.”

“You like her, don’t ya?”

Applejack was taken aback, “What?”

“You have feelins for that pony Rainbow Dash.”

“Aren’t ya a little young for all that?”

“Why do y’all keep thinkin’ Ah’m a little kid? Ah’m twelve!” Applebloom responded indignantly, “Besides, Ah understand. Ah’m bisexual, ya know.”

Applejack was very taken aback, “Now Ah know y’all are too young for that. What makes you think you’re… that, anyway?”

Applebloom suddenly looked very sheepish, “Ya promise ta keep it a secret?”

AJ nodded hesitantly.

“Alright. Well… Ah kissed Sweetie Belle once on a dare.”

“WHAT!?” If this Applebloom had… She was going to have to have a word with her younger sister when she got home… She shuddered at the thought.

“It doesn’t matter,” the younger girl shook her head, “Ah’m here ta talk about you. Do you like Rainbow or not?”

AJ hesitated. That was a question she wasn’t even willing to answer for herself. Did she like Rainbow like that? Was that why she was so jealous? She though back to all the times she had been around her friend. Hoof wrestling in the fields. Friendly competitions. Rainbow chasing her after she had run away to Dodge Junction. Was it really an expression of feelings deeper than friendship? Did she really care about Rainbow? About her happiness? About her safety? About her feelings?

“Yes,” Applejack responded.

“Then ya need ta tell her,” Applebloom responded seriously, “Ya can’t let her go off with this Rainbow all upset at you. Ah know the human Rainbow Dash. She’s… she gets around. Ya need ta tell her ya like her, or she’ll never get ta choose between ya.”

“Ya think Ah should go tell her?”

“Yep. But not now. You’re both still upset. Tell her before she leaves tomorrow.”

Applejack thought briefly about this, “Okay.”

“Good,” Applebloom smiled, “Well Ah better be off ta bed. Ah got school tomorrow.”

“Hold on,” the pony-girl called as she opened the door, “Why are ya bein’ nice ta me all of a sudden?”

She shrugged, “Ah’m still really weirded out bah you, Ah gotta say. But Ah’m not gonna let that get in the way of love.”

“Thanks, Applebloom.”

“Yup!”

Applejack laid back in her bed as the younger girl closed the door. She had to get some rest – she had something important to do tomorrow.

As hard as she tried, restful sleep eluded her.

Author's Note:

Pre-read by EnderBlaze.