• Published 28th Oct 2013
  • 628 Views, 17 Comments

Marry the Night - Cadence5



While trapped in the moon, Luna meets Night, a black stallion that quickly steals Luna's heart. Once returning to Equestria, it is harder to see her new love and she is faced with a decision that could change the fate of Equestria forever.

  • ...
46
 17
 628

Chapter 7

Night flew out of the moon happy to be away from the two arguing mares. He had also never seen Equestria up close before. Sure he had flown past the planet, but he had never landed there. He knew that other ponies lived there. Earth ponies, pegasi, and unicorns lived together and followed two alicorn rulers: Celestia and her sister. Who was her sister though? Was it Luna or Nightmare Moon?

He flew through a small cluster of stars enjoying the colors that swirled around him and the heat that warmed him from nose to tail. There was no wind in space which made flying through the universe even more enjoyable. The forward motion of flying caused his mane to be pushed back from his face. Night landed on a meteor that was headed for the planet.

He stood on top of it as it hurtled through the atmosphere. The heat would've killed a normal pony, but Night had been born to travel through space. It was the reason why he could breathe in space, it was why he couldn't be pulled into a black hole, and it was the reason he could fly through stars and atmospheres without burning to a crisp. It was nighttime in Equestria which surprised him since they had just woken up on the moon.

The rock burned up below him, but Night was prepared. He spread his wings and rushed toward the ground in a nose dive. He was headed toward a small town which he guessed was not Canterlot. One glance at the mountain behind it, though, and he knew exactly where to go.

He straightened out just before hitting the ground. His speed never wavered as he flew parallel to the ground and left a quickly fading trail of stars and mist behind him. Night smiled as he flew. He had forgotten what it was like to have the wind in his mane, and he did a few flips and spins before following the slope of the mountain that Canterlot was built on. He flew up passing the city before turning and changing direction to head towards the castle.

He landed right in front of the main doors, but before he could walk in, four guards surrounded him. They were all unicorns that had teleported to him from the balcony above.

"Who are you?" one guard, who seemed to be their leader, demanded. "How did you get here? It's the middle of the night."

"I flew," Night stated, "how else would I get here?"

"Sir, he's an alicorn," another stated shocked.

"Well, yeah," Night stated before sitting on the grass. "Name's Night by the way, so when do I get to see Celestia?" He finished with a mischievous smile which only made the guards narrow their eyes.

"Oh, you came to see the Princess?" the leader of the four asked.

"Yeah, I was sent by her sister," Night said, "so I would appreciate it if you would take me to Celestia."

The guards looked shocked, but they quickly opened the doors and lead him to the throne room. Night looked at the stained glass windows as the guards went to alert Celestia, whom had been sleeping. It wasn't long before the doors opened, and a plain white mare as tall as he walked in. Her mane flowed freely around her like Nightmare Moon's, a sun cutie mark was on her flank. She was just about to place her crown upon her head when her eyes met Night's, and her crown fell to the floor as her eyes widened.

"An alicorn?! Who are you and how did you get here?" she questioned.

"Y-Your sister sent me here," he said confused by Celestia's surprise.

"My sister was banished to the moon! How dare you, an outsider whom I have never met before, walk into my castle in the middle of the night and lie saying my sister sent you." She walked towards him her eyes narrowed as she sized him up. "If you truly know my sister prove it."

"That's just it though, I don't know which mare is your sister," he replied hoping she would believe him.

Celestia walked around him in a circle as she looked at him fully. "What do you mean 'which mare'?" she said as she completed her circle and headed towards her throne.

"Well, it's a long story, Princess."

Celestia sighed. "Best get on with it then," she said as she sat in her chair.

Night explained how he had been flying past the moon when he found Nightmare Moon trying to kill Luna, and how he had saved her before both mares told very convincing stories of how they got there in the first place. When he finished he looked at Celestia who seemed to be considering the story.

"So which is my sister?" she questioned her eyes shining with interest and what seemed to be a bit of amusement.

"How would I know? She's your sister," Night answered.

Celestia chuckled before answering, "Princess Luna is my sister, Night." She pulled a letter from between the cushions of her throne before she sent the letter towards him where he took it in his magical grasp and read it. On the letter was the truth: Luna's version of the story.

When he finished reading the letter, he handed it back to her. "So... I guess that's it then. Sorry to wake you. I'll just be on my way then," Night said standing up from his position on the floor.

"Not so fast, Night."

"Something I can help you with?" he asked before glancing out of the window. It was nearly morning, and night and day didn't mix too well.

"Yes, actually, how come I've never met you before today?" she asked narrowing her eyes at him.

"I travel a lot."

"Where do you travel? Obviously not Equestria because I believe I would have been informed of the presence of another alicorn."

"Princess, I really must be going. Luna might be having trouble getting along with Nightmare Moon," he replied while still trying to back towards the door.

"Princess Luna is a very capable mare, Night. I believe she can handle herself for another thirty minutes while you tell me who you are," she said while slowly moving towards him.

Night sighed. "I guess I must tell you, but can we maybe do it somewhere darker? Maybe without the sunlight?"

"Anything you can say in the dark you can say here, and the sun is not even up."

He took a deep breath before standing straight up and locking eyes with Celestia. "I am Night. I am the Keeper of the Night. I was born millennium ago from stardust itself. My sister is Day. She lives on, Die, her own planet of eternal day where she watches over the universe as Keeper of the Day. My own planet, Noctis, is the planet of eternal night, and the two planets revolve around each other in an eternal orbit around the center of the universe."

"How did you get here though?"

"I rarely ever saw my sister. Night and day do not mix. We usually only saw each other at the Council of Rerum, or Council of the Universe. The council meets once a year to discuss the universe. It's lead by the oldest pony in existence, Universe. He was the first pony to be made, and he leads with his wife, Galaxy."

Celestia was looking at him like he had gone mad. "I know it sounds strange, but when the world was created, ponies had much simpler names."

"I'll say," she replied. "Continue."

"Okay, so... The council met yearly to discuss the universe which is constantly expanding. Universe and Galaxy informed the members of the council about new galaxies, planets, stars, supernovas, black holes, the list goes on. Day and I were only two of the members, but the others are irrelevant. They were mainly keepers of planets and stars.

"Anyway, I was getting very lonely on Noctis because, you see, apparently ponies prefer to be in daylight where they can see. At the next council, which was the fiftieth meeting of the council, so fifty years after the universe was created, I revealed my plan to travel the universe. They thought it would be dangerous for the Keeper of the Night, but I pointed out that space was in an eternal night itself. They agreed to let me go as long as I showed up for the council meetings every year, and because they knew I would probably get lost, they gave me this." He flicked his tail. "It's a map. One flick of my tail and it will show me whatever i want to see. I've never been lost, and I've been traveling ever since."

Celestia stared at him like he was from another planet, which he was. Then, a guard came in, concern on his face until he saw her. "Princess, it's getting late, you need to raise the sun," he said.

"Oh, I didn't realize what time it was," she said before walking to one of the windows in the room and opening it. She looked back at Night before she began raising the sun, "When you said day and night don't mix-"

"My sister and I just don't get along all the time, so it became a bit of a joke as to why day and night never fall at the same time. It shouldn't be a problem."

Celestia nodded before turning back to the window. Her horn glowed as the moon began to move west, and a yellow light glowed from the east. Soon the sun broke the horizon and the moon slowly disappeared behind a mountain range. Night felt tired suddenly. He looked down as the sun's light shone in his eyes. He waited a few moments before looking out of the window to find day welcoming him. Then he blacked out.

Author's Note:

It's been a while since I updated this, huh? Sorry for the wait, guys, it's been written, I just haven't had time to get on and publish it.
In case you're wondering, I got the names for the planets from the Latin words for 'Night' and 'Day'. Hope you all enjoy this chapter I'll try to update sooner for the next one.
Also sorry for any typos or grammar mistakes, I try to fix it all, but sometimes you don't realize there are mistakes.