• Published 23rd Oct 2013
  • 833 Views, 13 Comments

Legends Of The Everfree - MLPxMaestro



The whispers of a race thought to be extinct over two hundred years ago has resurfaced from their alleged hallowed return. Two Earth Pony explorers, Geronimo and Dr. Terra have been looking into their rumored return for the last decade.

  • ...
3
 13
 833

Chapter Five- The Truth Revealed

Legends Of The Everfree:

Chapter 5- The Truth Revealed:

As Moon Fang awaits Geronimo and Dr. Terra’s arrival to his quarters, he thinks back to a time where his father lied on his deathbed a little over one year ago.

“Moon Fang…promise me you will keep what is left of our colony as strong as it has remained to be.” His father coughed.

“Yes of course, I shall be nothing but strong for this colony…but why must we continue to be so harsh to the surface dwellers? They have done nothing wrong to me or the others?”

“They have betrayed our race my son, and their ruler, Princess Celestia did not wish to help us as my grandfather, and your great-grandfather had told me before his departure.”

“But sir, that couldn’t be right? Not from what I’ve heard about the princess? She would never do such a thing as to let our race die off?!”

“He was no liar my son, he told the truth just before he departed from this world. It also appears history is repeating itself as well. You’re standing where I stood when I was listening to my grandfather before he died.” He chuckled faintly, as it was followed by a harsh sounding cough thereafter.

“Father, I wish to look more into this myself though.”

“You will do no such thing Moon Fang. You will take my place as leader of this colony by tomorrow morning just as the moon rises, understood?” his father coughed once again.

“Yes sir.” Moon Fang sighed.

“One… more thing… son…”

“Yes father?” Moon Fang took a step closer to his bedside.

“I don’t think I have… told you this enough but…I’m proud of you. That I also…I lo-…”

“Father? Are you okay? Stay with me now father, okay? Just this one more day.” Moon Fang lightly shook him on the shoulder, causing his father’s head to slowly look back towards him once again.

“I…I…love y-…” his fathers head jerked a little, as he quietly seemed to have a seizure.

“Father…father! Dad…No, please! Don’t go… you can’t go yet! Somepony get in here quick! Daaaaad!” Moon Fang yelled out, as he seemed to cry out to the heavens for a miracle to happen to keep his father alive.

His mind snapped back to reality, as he hears Targe approach his quarters. He made his way quickly into the living room, like he was waiting there for them the whole time.

“This certainly will not do Moon Fang, remember what your father told you to be.” He wiped the two tears that silently rolled down his cheeks, as the noises of hoofs on the rocks could be heard getting closer and closer.

Before he could finish Targe and the other two quickly made their way into his quarters.

“Sir, here’s the two surface dwellers, Geronimo and Dr. Terra.” Said Targe.

“Thank you Targe, you are dismissed.”

Moon Fangs back was turned towards the two of them as they entered, still trying to shape himself up before he turned around. He just had a painful memory come back to him, and that he would not under any circumstances want a surface dweller to know he’s soft.

“Now then…onto the matter at hoof. I have something I have been keeping back from the two of you…” Moon Fang didn’t continue any further until he heard Targe fly off from his doorstep just a few seconds afterward.

Little did the three of them know, Echo was in a dark corner of the room, silently hanging upside down at what was going on in front of her.

“Now…as you both know I am the leader of this colony, correct?”

“Yes of course, we already knew that sir.” Dr. Terra replied.

“Of course…I’m sure you did, but however that is not the reason why I brought you both here in private to speak to me.” he then turned facing a window that looked over the waterhole that Geronimo and Dr. Terra fell in just hours before.

“Is there another test you’re giving us then?” Dr. Terra wondered in a sarcastic tone.

“No, it isn’t…it’s on a more…well…personal scale I suppose. You promise me to never tell another soul what I am about to tell you, understand?!” he lightly stomped his hoof in front of Geronimo, keeping him on his guard.

“Of course mister uh, Moon Fang sir, we can keep a secret no prob…at least I can anyhow.” Geronimo then turned back facing Dr. Terra next to him.

“Well it’s not my fault you ate over eighty percent of our rations we took with us to set up camp in the Everfree Forest?! Your stomach knows no bounds it seems Gero.” She replied.

“Well at least I don’t-”

“Enough, both of you!” Moon Fang snorted, causing them to immediately straighten back up from his naturally intimidating attitude to the two of them.

“Sorry Moon Fang, go on, we can hear you out.” Dr. Terra added.

Moon Fang then faced back towards them, but mainly towards Dr. Terra.

“You claim to be a doctor, and that you have researched our race for a long time from what I have heard? I need to ask you…what progress have you made on anything monumental on and about us?” he asked her with a commanding look.

“Well me and my best friend here as you said, have been researching about you, piecing together all of the clues about the rumors flying around that supposedly your race was still around. We have a small tuft of hair from a Bat Pony we managed to obtain from a museum. So-”

“Hold it…what? Museum? What in Equestria is that?” Moon Fang stopped her out of curiosity.

“Oh, right…your kind doesn’t know what they are. Don’t worry Targe wondered the same thing too.” she replied.

“Of course…well then…continue Dr. Terra.” He looked off.

“Yes sir, well as you know all of that, and the cure we have been working on since day one.”

Moon Fangs ear immediately rose to the sound of hope.

“A cure you say?!” Moon Fang not trying to sound too excited and happy from that kind of news, he then got close to her.

“Um yes Moon Fang, he-he…a cure. It’s a certain serum we have been working on to help stabilize the infertility gene that your race has been among the females.”

“Yes, they all possess that gene. Though what you’re searching for, there is no hope for anymore.” He spoke up with a bit of disappointment in his voice.

“What do you mean by that? Are you saying that there are no more females who can conceive future children of your race?”

“That is exactly what I am saying Dr. Terra…we have known this for the past few decades now, and no female is capable of keeping our population alive now. All we can do is wade it out until the very last of us die off.”

Dr. Terra could hear the disappointment and sadness grow and become more noticeable in Moon Fangs voice.

“But sir, you don’t understand, we may have a possible cure for it. It’s a simple injection into the bloodstream that is quickly absorbed and brought into the very ladder of their DNA. If it becomes successful, you no longer have to worry! The female who is injected with the serum, or takes it an alternative way, is able to pass it down to their future children. Hence forth, there will be hope for your race Moon Fang, sir.” Dr. Terra stated.

Moon Fang was certainly thrilled by this news, but he still wanted to know whether or not what the story his great-grandfather had passed all the way down to him was true or not.

“This certainly sounds like lovely news, and I thank you for this. But however, I must ask you something personal to me once more.”

“Again? Hmm…then what might it be now?”

“Is it true that your ruler, Princess Celestia said that she could not help our race survive in its hour of need and trial?” Moon Fang asked with almost desperation in his voice for the truth.

“What? Of course not! Who said this? We have heard such a ridiculous rumor like that before, but we even went to the princess herself and asked her whether or not that was actually true... I must inform you sir that whoever told you that was lying. She would NEVER betray any of her beloved citizens of Equestria, no matter what kind of pony species they may be. She cares for each and every one of them Moon Fang.” Dr. Terra stated to him once more.

Moon Fang couldn’t believe what he was hearing? They actually met the ruler herself personally, and if that was true then the unthinkable has been happening to their race for over two hundred years


“NO! He wouldn’t do such a thing! He…he couldn’t?! Surely he wouldn’t do that for his own gain?!” Moon Fang outburst as it broke the silence between them for a few moments.

“What are you talking about sir?” she wondered.

“I just- no…NO! That just-…over two hundred years…of a lie…RIGHT TO MY FACE! I knew my gut was right all along! I knew it sounded too ridiculous to be true!” he then hit the wall with one of his hoofs angrily, yet feeling hurt now at the same time. After all those years of speculation on such an odd occurrence he had wondered since he stood next to his father’s deathbed, the truth apparently had been set free to him. His great-grandfather lied to his entire species only for his own personal gain of immediate leadership from the whole race across all of Equestria

Geronimo took a few steps back after seeing what Dr. Terra did.

“You made him mad I think.” Geronimo looked at him concerned.

“No Gero, I think I did something else by some chance?” she then walked over to him, seeing how he felt hurt and betrayed.

“Moon Fang?”

“Leave me be! Leave this ca- oh what am I kidding?! I’m no leader anymore! Our entire race has been lied, betrayed, and mislead to by my very bloodline!”

Dr. Terra covered her mouth out of disbelief with her hoof, realizing what he meant by that.

“Oh my…Moon Fang I am so sorry about this, I didn’t know that it was-…” she decided to just drop it and get right beside him.

She looked a little closer at him, and noticed that he had tears running down the sides of his face.

“I can’t…believe it…I was right all along.” Moon Fang then leaned into her shoulder and began to cry as quiet as he could.

As all of this happened, and with not a single clue as to what they all were talking about, Echo then jumped down from the ceiling, landing right beside Geronimo startling him a bit.

“Ah! Oh wait…it’s just Echo…hey little one, what’s up?” said Geronimo.

“Wait…Echo?! What’s she doing here?” Moon Fang then looked in his direction, seeing the small little Bat Pony filly staring back at him with a look of confusion as to what was going on.

“Hewwo Moon Fang, what’s going on?”

Moon Fang didn’t reply to her, but instead looked back up at Dr. Terra.

“Hope…”

“What sir?” she wondered.

“Hope…there’s still hope for our race.” He then points to Echo, causing the little filly to tilt her head a bit.

“What is it cowony weader?” she asked.

“You, Echo…I knew there was something special about you.” Moon Fang looked back at her, then back to Dr. Terra once again.

“Doctor…we will assist you in getting back to your camp if you promise to try whatever this…this…”

“Cure?” Dr. Terra shrugged, figuring he was implying that.

“Yes, that cure you allegedly claim to have.” He replied.

“Well unfortunately, it’s still in the wor-”

“We’ll help you bring your camp equipment down here to out cave and continue your research with us then. Just tell us whatever you need, and I will do what I can to help you get this done.” He stated.

“Miss Tewwa? What’s he saying?” Echo speaks up.

“He’s saying something that’s a good thing Echo…a very, VERY good thing.” Dr. Terra’s face then lights up, realizing that because of her untimely and unexpected discovery here in this cave, she had set in motion an event that could change the average Bat Pony life forever.

“Okay…here’s what I need…”

“Absolutely doctor, we will get right on it.”

“Yay, a good thing! Wait…wike what Gerotino?”

“Ha ha ha ha! You’re getting there, kid!” Geronimo laughed.

“Let’s just say you alone have the potential to change your race’s history forever…does that make sense?” he added.

Echo blinked, not understanding a single word of what he said. “No.”

Author's Note:

Some exditing help from my friend Umi Chou has been made.