• Published 23rd Oct 2013
  • 833 Views, 13 Comments

Legends Of The Everfree - MLPxMaestro



The whispers of a race thought to be extinct over two hundred years ago has resurfaced from their alleged hallowed return. Two Earth Pony explorers, Geronimo and Dr. Terra have been looking into their rumored return for the last decade.

  • ...
3
 13
 833

Chapter Two- Captive Curiosity

Legends Of The Everfree:

Chapter 2- Captive Curiosity:

All of the Bat Ponies stared at the two of them as they carefully got out of the water, and onto the dry rocky land under them.

“Why are they staring at us?” Geronimo whispered.

“Well they are in fact Bat Ponies overall, they honestly look a lot cuter than I expected. Just look at these adorable little ones over here!” Terra said happily, pointing straight to a few Bat Pony children.

Two of them were fillies, and another one was a colt. They would be the last of their race if the rest ended up dying off. The teenagers, though still only a few of them, actually seemed to be a bit curious towards the two surface world ponies. They descended from a ledge silently, and slowly crept towards Geronimo and Dr. Terra.

“Interesting…they appear to be curious about us? But the youngest ones appear a little frightened. I don’t see any adults yet either?” Terra thought.

“I hope they don’t make a meal of us Pris.” Geronimo said.

Wanting to facehoof herself, knowing that Geronimo seemed to have forgotten what she told him just days before in order to refresh his memory.

“They eat fruit and vegetables, remember? They’re just like us…we don’t eat meat.”

“Oh yeah I forgot…” his voice fading off, as he placed a hoof under his chin thinking of something else.

Terra knew that sometimes Geronimo had his dumb moments. His remarks and unwise actions would make her giggle to herself just thinking about the situation every now and again.

“Yeah he-he…you forgot, silly.” She poked her hoof into his side.

After then focusing back onto the Bat Ponies in front of them both, they then noticed what implied to them as the adults. The assumed adults were noticed flying over some of the children, and then resting on ledges. They however seemed to not stare at Geronimo and Terra in a kind manner, but rather one out of a grudge.

“Your kind are not welcome here, leave this cave now!” one of the males spoke up.

“Eh-he-he…I’m afraid we can’t do that sir.” Geronimo replied.

“Oh? Then why would it be so hard for you to? Either that, or we have our own little ways of disposing your type.” The male said closer to them, as he got off of the ledge making his way to them in the air.

“Um…I fell in a hole with sharp rocks apparently guarding parts of the entrance. The hole has no way for ponies like me to get back out; we’re stuck down here with all of you! But man was it a score, wooo!” Geronimo still feeling excited that the rumors were true, and that Bat Ponies still existed.

“I do apologize for his stupidity at the moment.” said Dr. Terra.

“Hey, not cool Pris!” Geronimo added.

“Both of you quiet! We have been fine without your kind helping us, and we plan to keep it that way.” The male Bat Pony stated to her with a look of disdain.

“Well to my perspective, along with the research me and my best friend here have conducted for the last decade…the Bat Pony race is on its last breaths as we speak.” Terra then looked back at the male’s piercing eyes.

“Well it’s just…so what? We’ll be fine, now go!” as he turned away from them. His wings about to lift off, as if they were to take flight

“Our research has led us to many discoveries sir. There is a small possibility that we can help you save your race, but we just need some time.” Dr. Terra points out.

“Oh you’ll get time…take them away!” he shouted pointing his hoof back at her.

With him saying that, four adults quickly surround them.

“Oh my gosh…this is it isn’t it? SWEET CELESTIA WE’RE GONNA DIIIIE!” Geronimo shouted out, as he lifted his front hooves in the air dramatically.

“Shut him up!” the male stated, feeling already annoyed by him.

A Bat Pony then takes him by surprise, and knocks him out by hitting the back of his head with a strong punch.

“Gero!” Terra runs after him concerned, but being stopped by Bat Ponies then swooping her up, and taking her away.

Later, in the naturally made cell the two of them were kept away in.

“Gero, can you please wake up?” nudging him, but no response. He apparently from the looks of it got hit pretty sudden and awfully hard. Considering he had a thick skull all his life, it must’ve taken a good bit of force to put out such a blow to his head.

Time continued to pass, as her and Geronimo lay there in the cell together. She began to now feel worried, worried as for what they might do to them. She looked back over to Geronimo’s body still lying on the cold rock floor.

She let out a sigh, trotting over to her friend, and lay down next to him.

“To think they would hate us as much as they do.” She sniffed, as a tear began forming in her eye.

“We just wanted to help is all, but they’re too caught up in their old ways or something.” she added.

She stopped herself and wiped her eyes, as she saw a small little Bat Pony filly carefully approach the cell she was in. Slowly and cautiously with each step, the little pony’s hooves made it to their destination.

Terra looked back at the filly, as it froze in place once she was eye to eye with it. Terra even found the little filly looking awfully adorable with those eyes and bat-like characteristics.

“Awe you da wady who want to hewp us?” the small filly asked. Ever so adorable from the way it talked at its young age, Terra wanted to get closer to it, but not wanting to take any chances of it backing away from her.

“Yes little one, me and my fwend- I mean friend are here to help your race.”

“What’s a wace?” it asked her curiously with its head titled to the side, as it got a little closer to her. Continuing to stare at her the closer it got to her cell, it ended up being right next to the natural rock formed bars around her.

“A race is what a Bat Pony is. A Bat Pony is a different kind of pony, and that makes it a race of its own.” She smiled back.

“Am I a wace?” it hopped once in place smiling, causing its wings to flap for a brief second.

“You’re a Bat Pony little one, of course you’re a race.” Terra’s heart seemed to melt with the adorable sight of this little form of life. Utterly curious with Terra’s different looks than her own, as the filly had never seen anything like it in her life.

“Oh wight…I fowgot, sowwy.” The small filly replied, backing up a step or two.

“What your name, hm?” Terra was now trying to get on the pony’s good side as much as she could, so she could know more about their race. Though heart crushingly adorable, the little Bat Pony didn’t know very much about life among the cave. It looked down at the floor, making a little circle with its hoof as it replied.

“I’m…Echo.” It kept looking down to the floor, as it felt a bit shy.

“That’s a good name Echo, I like that name. Who named you that?”

“I don’t know my weal daddy or mommy.” A sad look began to form on her face as she then looked back at Terra. She had never known what it was like to have real parents. She was given birth to, but the supposed last fertile female for the Bat Pony race had given birth to this one. Echo was the youngest out of everypony else in the cave, which she considered home. Her dad died of an illness from a fruit that was supposedly safe to eat in the Everfree Forest. He later ended up getting poisoned just days before Echo’s birth, and died painfully.

“I’m sorry Echo…but hey, have you been a good pony though?” she asked her kindly.

“Yeah! Dey say I da sweetest one…but I not sweet?”

“They’re talking about your personality Echo.” She giggled at the adorable filly, and its efforts to understand.

“What’s your name?” Echo asked.

“I’m Dr. Terra.”

“What’s persatawity mean?” she tilted her head to the side curiously.

Their conversation was then halted by a male Bat Pony coming back to check on the prisoners.

“What are you doing in here Echo? Get away from her!” he said.

“But dis da nice pony who wants to hewp us, she said so…wight miss Tewwa?”

Terra said nothing, and lightly nodded in return back to her. She then quickly turned her head facing the male.

The male then looked back at her with wonder, and then asked her a question as he brought Echo in a bit closer to him.

“I know our male leader Moon Fang, wanted you here, but why did he do that if you were here to help us?” he asked.

“Me and my best friend here Geronimo, have been researching your race for the last decade. We’ve read all the books, looked at all the documents, and pieced together all of the rumors. Also, we even managed to get a hair sample of your kind from a museum too.” She stated with a squee.

“A what?” he wondered.

“Never heard of museums have you? I understand…” she looked off into another direction.

“Well if you have a way of helping us, and if what you say is true, I’m going to see what Moon Fang thinks. I’ll try to convince him to let you go, and perhaps talk to you and your…uh…” he then stops himself looking at Geronimo lying on the floor still.

“My semi friend for now?” she added.

“Yeah, that…well I’ll be right back okay? I’m going to ask him if he’ll give you another chance. But if he doesn’t it’s still pretty valid with how his bloodline is. His great-great-grandfather even tried talking to Celestia to help save our race…and she declined! Can you believe it?! I mean really, what kind of ruler would do that?”

“I wasn’t alive then, so I have no idea.” She shrugged.

“Well I’ll be right back okay?” he then spread out his wings and flew right off and out of the room.

Terra scanned the room for Echo and couldn’t find her.

She then looked up at the ceiling and noticed Echo was upside down above her in the room.

“Oh my, you startled me a bit.” Terra smiled.

“Hewwo mis Tewwa, I heawd evewything up here!”

“I’m sure you did Echo, good job!” She giggled.

“Yay! But no sewiouswy…what’s a Tewwa? Echo asked again curiously.