• Published 23rd Oct 2013
  • 833 Views, 13 Comments

Legends Of The Everfree - MLPxMaestro



The whispers of a race thought to be extinct over two hundred years ago has resurfaced from their alleged hallowed return. Two Earth Pony explorers, Geronimo and Dr. Terra have been looking into their rumored return for the last decade.

  • ...
3
 13
 833

Chapter Three- Memories of Old

Legends Of The Everfree:

Chapter 3- Memories of Old:

Dr. Terra and Geronimo still sat within the naturally made cell, which was quite strange considering how caves are created. But, Dr. Terra considered, the bars were no coincidence. It just truly hinted how old this cave was.. and the fact that their cell was surrounded by another layer of rock making it more into a room, just made it even more so.

As she sat, Geronimo still laid beside her. He was starting to snore now, and she could just facehoof herself.

Yet, at the moment, she had Echo for company. She watched in fascination at the young bat pony which hanged from the ceiling. It's amazing that they finally found the bat pony race.. only for them to lock her and her best friend up.

“Heh,” she giggled, as she heard Echo's question,” well, you see that's a part of my name. “

“Yowr name? Like how I'm Echo?”

“Yes, but different. I'm Dr. Terra.” She says, trying to explain it to her.

“What's a doc-t-wor?” She asks next, just barely pronouncing the word.

“Well, it can be many things... it just depends which doctor you're talking about. There are doctors who know the field of medicine, I mean.. uhm, they know about medicine. There are doctors that study other things, too. Does.. that make sense?” Dr. Terra said, slowly looking back up at the young bat pony. She was awfully young, after all.

Echo just blinked,” No.”

Dr. Terra simply paused, giggling a bit. “Right, I suppose not.”

Echo just smiled as she wrapped her wings around her body.

“Well.. let's go back a topic. Names, like before. Who was that earlier?” Dr. Terra asks.

“Who was who, miss Tewwa?” Echo says, tilting her head.

“That male bat pony who stopped us earlier..?” She says, trying to describe it.

Echo blinks before nodding her head. “Oh! Dat was Tawge.”

“Tawge?” Dr. Terra repeats, no doubt that wasn't how you pronounced his actual name. Heh, she just smiled.

“Tawge is my older bwother!” Echo says excitedly, before pausing... “Well, not weally. But he is.” She says, starting to nod her head again.

“I see...” Dr. Terra says in reply, slightly curious as to why. Though, if Echo tried to explain, she would have to translate a few words. Maybe, even more than a few.



Meanwhile, while Targe flew to Moon Fang's home...


I can't believe Echo.. she needs to be more careful. But, if she believes that they're willing to help... then I'm willing to do what it takes. He thought to himself, as he flew through out the cave.

He was on his way to where Moon Fang lived, which was a part of the cave where most of the adults lived as well. He wasn't sure how to approach him, but he had to. For Echo.

He hadn't known Echo for long, and when he first met her she was a young foal. He recalls how Echo always attached herself onto him as if he was her favorite toy. Remembering it now... brought back many memories...

Moon Fang stood above the young foal, Echo, and a younger Targe. He turned towards Targe, staring deep into his eyes. “Echo must be taken care of, and protected. She's the youngest of our colony, and the most vulnerable. You must be at her side, Targe. You must protect her from our enemies, and teach her our ways.. Do not even, for a moment, think about leaving her side – do you understand?!”

“Yes, sir!” Targe said, saluting Moon Fang.

“Good.” Moon Fang uttered, leaving the two for one of the many meetings between him, and the other adults.

The young foal Echo simply sat beside him, looking up at him curiously. Targe looked over towards her, and bent down next to her.

“Hello..I'm Targe.” He says, introducing herself.

“Tawge?” Echo repeated in reply.

“No, Targe. It means--” He stopped, looking around. Suddenly he could feel they were being watched.

“Stay behind me, Echo!” He says quickly taking guard.

Piercing green eyes could be seen from the distance, and howls could be heard soon after.

Echo began to cover her ears from the howls, being able to hear it louder thanks to her bat ears; so could Targe, too, though he kept an eye on them.

Soon, timberwolves began to surround them. Two of them drooling as their eyes were set on Echo. No doubt wanting her as their next meal.

Targe lifted Echo onto his back, and didn't need to tell her to hold on tight as her arms wrapped around his neck. He starts to shriek at them, and stands strong against them.

The same two from before launched at him first, their claws drawn at him.

Targe blocked off one, but the other one hit his chest. He shifted around and kicked his hoofs into the one that struck him which sent it flying into the air soon after. A small whine following suite.

He then shrieked at the timberwolves again, this time louder.

All of them continued to surround them, and Targe knew he couldn't fight them all off. He had to get Echo back to the cave where they'd be safe.

He began to back away slowly before taking a run for it. His wings folding out as he began to take flight. He could hear the timberwovles run after him, but didn't notice that one jumped after.

The timberwolf gripped at his hoof, throwing off his flight as he staggered a bit. Echo, on Targe's back still, tried shrieking at him to get off. Yet, Targe handled it as his other hoof kicked the timberwolf's paw. The timberwolf giving off a similar whine as the other one as he released his grip.

Targe looked back to see the pack had given up on the two of them, and flew back to the cave. He landed once they were safe, and sat Echo down.

“Are you okay..?” He said gently, checking around her small foal body.

Echo simply looking up at him as she giggled.

Targe looked into her eyes, and at that moment he knew his purpose. A small glimmer came across his side, as his cutie mark appeared.“I swear..I'll always be here for you, Echo. I..will protect you!”

Echo only giggled once more, soon poking his nose. “Tawge!”



That was only a few years ago, yet their time together past that seemed so much longer. He was the one that took care of her, including teaching her to fly. She still has so much more to learn.

Targe shook his head, seeing the flags up ahead. These flags symbolized the adult part of the cave, and soon he approached one of the guards.

“Halt! Who goes?” The guard yelled, blocking his path.

“I am Targe, I'm here to see Moon Fang.” He says, trying to get past him.

The guard attempted to cut him off once more, but Targe quickly avoided him this time. He didn't have time to argue as to why he had to see Moon Fang. Not this time.

Targe flew past a few of the homes of the adults before reaching Moon Fang's. He slowed himself to where he could land, yet paused when he heard something.

“I don't want.... their type...... immediate at once!”

He could barely make out what they were saying, but he knew it had to be about those two. He quickly entered without a second thought.

“No! You must understand... they're here to help us. I've seen them, and they know of our race!” Targe said, defending them as best he could.

His eyes looked around, seeing Moon Fang speaking with one of the adults. The two almost glare at him for interupting.

“You are dismissed...” Moon Fang mutters, towards the adult.

The adult bat pony leaves, but gives Targe one last glare before departing.

Moon Fang, on the other hand, turned to not face Targe.

“Targe... what do you know of them?” He says, his wings folding beside him.

“I know... that they know much about us. They said that they've been researching our kind, and apparently collecting our hair...” He mutters the last part, not sure if he should have mentioned it.

Moon Fang took a moment to respond before looking back to him. “Hmm.. we must learn what they know of us. Their knowledge is the same as of our enemies... I want you, and a few others to take them around the cave. They'll reveal what they know, and we will know where they lie. “

“Where they lie... but, sir, they're here to help.” Targe says, trying to support them.

“Am I understood!?” He exclaimed, stomping his hoof.

“... Yes, sir.” Targe says, slowly opening his wings as he leaves. His wings beating against the wind to hurry back to the cell.

Moon Fang watched as he left, soon stroking his beard. “... perhaps they will learn of us, as well?”



Later, back at the cell...


Dr. Terra and Echo had talked amongst themselves for quite sometime, most of which was spent with Dr. Terra answering Echo's questions.

“No, no.. that shouldn't be done at all.” She says, giggling at Echo. Echo laughing along, too.

Yet, both stopped as they heard someone approach...

Echo was the first one to hear it, as she quickly hid on the ceiling. Dr. Terra only heard moments after, and tried to stand up to see who it was.

One of the adult bat ponies flew in, and his figure could be seen in the distance. He landed in front of the cave and gave Dr.Terra a look of disdain.

“What... do you want?” She asks, a little hesitant of the answer.

“A break!” He answers in reply as he groans, tossing a basket of fruit towards the cell.

Dr. Terra simply blinked, looking down at the food. “Well then, thank you. I suppose it is dinner time by now...”


Just then, Geronimo quickly sat up. “Oh boy!”

Author's Note:

This chapter was not made by me, but instead Umi Chou on Fimfiction. Hope some of you enjoy the story so far, it's looking great.