• Published 23rd Oct 2013
  • 612 Views, 7 Comments

The Celestial Sisters - ScooterFiction



Celestia and Luna have just 72 hours to reunite the Elements of Harmony and save the Ponyville orphanage from destruction. They'll never get caught. They're on a mission from god.

  • ...
2
 7
 612

Chapter 1

The sound of approaching hoof steps echoed down the hall, growing closer and closer with each step. She heard them coming, but chose to ignore them, keeping her head buried under her pillow, trying to sleep. Every day was the same, so she soon learnt to pretend to sleep when the guards came. It made the days less painful. However as the steps grew closer and closer, she felt a strange sense of unease, as though today was different.

Suddenly, the hoof steps stopped. Luna didn't lift her head, she simply lay on her bunk, listening.

“This the one?” a male voice asked.

“Yeah, they want her released early. Hey! Wake up in there, lets go, it's time!” a second voice said, before banging the cell doors with his hoof.

Luna lifted her head from her pillow and looked into the eyes of the two guards standing on the other side of the cell door, their faces expressionless.

“Time already? But is has barely been one hundred years,” Luna replied wearily.

“We got orders from higher up, they want you out of here early. Come on, let's go.”

The two guards opened the door and escorted Luna from her cell, taking position either side of her tall, blue frame, her elegance concealed by the light blue jumpsuit she had to wear. They marched her down the hallway, past the many cells of hollering, cheering inmates, ponies and unicorns alike. Luna never spoke a word, simply trotting along as ordered, ignoring the jeers. They had never been welcoming of her during her stay. Luna felt a sense of relief wash over her at the prospect of finally being rid of their company.

They soon exited the wing and began to make their way across the exercise yard, a large area of grass and rocks, sealed within a magical dome. Several ponies were walking in circles, exercising and being made to do manual labour. As they noticed the tall, blue alicorn crossing the yard, a silence fell across them. They looked on in awe as the princess of the night walked among them, a guard either side of her.

Luna simply kept her eyes forward, avoiding their gaze, trying to ignore their whispered conversations. They had all been the same since she arrived. Judgemental and unwelcoming, unreceptive of the princess among them. As they crossed the yard, they soon stopped outside a large metal door, the lead guard levitating a key into the lock.

He paused. “Well, this is it,” he said, before opening the door and entering, Luna quickly following suit.

The second guard followed her in before slamming the door shut and relocking it. Luna knew the routine by now. It wasn't her first time on the moon. She approached the yellow line painted upon the floor and stood behind it, her head held high. In front of her was a solid brick wall, the only opening covered with a wire mesh, a small slot in the bottom to pass objects though. Behind it stood an elderly, balding unicorn, a look of tired displeasure upon his face. He glanced down to his clipboard and began to fill in the details.

“Number?” he asked.

“7474505B” the guard read aloud.

“What wing?” the elderly unicorn replied.

“Medium wing, block 4.”

“Standard Release?”

“Early parole, good behaviour.”

The elderly pony filled out the last bit of detail on his clipboard, before putting it down on the table. He turned around and disappeared into the maze of racking and shelving, before returning a few moments later, levitating two boxes through the air, placing them onto the desk. He opened the first box and levitated out its contents.

“One hourglass watch, broken. One apple, rotten. One pair of boots, blue. One hooded robe, black. One crown, black. One pair of sunglasses, black. Sign here.”

He slid a clipboard across the desk to Luna. Luna stepped forward, levitated the pen into the air and signed the sheet with elegant cursive not normally seen among prisoners. She put the pen back down and levitated her belongs into the air.

The elderly pony stood up straight and smiled. “You are hearby granted early parole from the moon, Princess Luna.” He saluted, before turning away and disappearing from sight. Luna looked at her crown before her, took a deep breath, and placed it upon her head.


The moon hung high in the sky, shining brightly down upon the ground as an old Dodge Monaco drove through the Everfree forest, it's lights illuminating the shadowy corners of the foreboding forest. It slowly came to a stop outside the ruins of the old celestial castle. Princess Celestia turned the engine off and looked up at the moon, hanging in the night sky. She took a deep breath and watched as the four stars that surrounded it slowly moved behind the moon, disappearing from sight.

There was a sudden, bright flash as the stars vanished, and the moon shone brighter than before. Within the rays of light was a familiar silhouette, flying down towards the ground. Celestia smiled and got out of the car, moving towards Luna as she landed before her.

Luna lifted her head and looked upon her sister, standing motionless. They paused, took a deep breath, and then slowly advanced towards each other, embracing each other tightly.

“Luna, it is good to see you again.”

“You too, my sister.”

“Come, I'll take us home,” Celestia said as she climbed back into the drivers seat of the car.

Luna followed suit and got into the passenger seat, rolling down the window as she did so. Celestia slammed her door, turned the key in the ignition and revved the engine, before quickly pulling away in a cloud of dust, the ruins of the castle rapidly fading in the distance.

They drove in silence, Celestia focusing on the road, while Luna looked at her reflection in the cracked rear view mirror. After a few minutes, Luna broke the silence.

“What is this?”

“What?” Celestia replied, puzzled.

“This mode of transport! Where's the royal chariot?”

“The what?”

Luna sighed and rolled her eyes, “The royal chariot we used to have? The royal chariot we rode around upon!”

“I Traded it.”

“You traded it for this?”

“No, I traded it for a new throne.”

“A throne?” Luna paused. “Okay, I can see that, but what on Equestria is this? I've never seen such a thing!”

“It's an old motor vehicle from the magic mirror realm. I picked it up on one of my trips to the alternate world last year.”

“Well, it's certainly different,” Luna added, “But I don't like it.”

Celestia slammed her hoof on the brake and disdainfully looked at her sister. “You don't like it?”

“No. I do not,” Luna said abruptly.

Celestia turned back to the forest and put her hoof back down hard on the accelerator. She drove aggressively between the trees, heading for a large gorge that separated the forest. She aimed for a small hill and flew straight off the edge. The car sailed through the air, wheels spinning freely, before it slammed back down on the other side with a sickening crash, wheels spinning in the mud. The car quickly regained traction and carried on it's way, none the worse for wear. Celestia's expression remained unchanged.

“It's got a powered motor, three hundred and seventy five horse power. It runs on fossilized trees, so it doesn't need to stop for hay breaks. It's got rubber tires so it’ll move over any terrain without breaking a horse shoe,” Celestia said. “What do you say, is it the new royal chariot?”

“It's got three hundred horses in it? But where?” Luna asked, furrowing her brow.

“The equivalent of three hundred horses. Trust me my sister, you'll love it.”

Luna looked out the window at the rapidly passing forest, the trees growing thinner and thinner as they neared the edge, growing closer to civilization. She turned back to the mirror and looked at her reflection, her mane blowing freely behind her as the wind rushed through the open window, her crown resting upon her head.

Luna looked at the moon hanging high in the night sky, nothing more than a faint white spot in the blackness of the night. It soon vanished from sight as they rounded a corner.

Luna smiled.

“Fix the mirror,” she said happily before turning back to her sister, an equally wide grin plastered across her face.