• Published 19th Oct 2013
  • 935 Views, 72 Comments

In Aeternum - Traintrack to Nowhere



After a series of mishaps Twilight gets very, very lost in the Everfree and finds some(one) very, very... unique.

  • ...
2
 72
 935

To Question

Chapter 4: To Question

If Twilight could pace furiously, she would. But at the moment her fatigue and various strains made that infeasible, so she was forced to vent steam through her ears and stare at the conundrum in front of her instead. And it was a conundrum. The being before her, simply put, made absolutely no sense. No living creature could function they way it was... and no dead creature could, either. It was a scientific impossibility!

The silence stretched on between them, long enough for Twilight to calm down slightly and begin to wonder if antagonizing the being that had been nothing but helpful – and, perhaps more relevantly, was not as incapacitated as she thought – was really a good idea. But it had shown no sign of reaction, averse or otherwise, and Twilight was beginning to wonder if it was really still 'awake' or if it had lapsed out of consciousness again. Then it responded.

“I am Sigma Series Six. I am a highly adaptable regenerative synthetic. To elaborate: I am an imitation of a human being created through the use of advanced sciences novel even...” There was a brief, almost undetectable, pause as the explanation skipped a thought, but the words continued to flow fast enough for Twilight to miss it. “I do not function as a living organism, because by definition, I am neither alive nor an organism. I am a simulacrum. An imitation. A living relic. Exact details are available but I believe them to be beyond your understanding. I would prefer to be referred to as Eternity.”

Twilight blinked. Then she blinked again. “What?”

The being – 'Eternity' – sighed. Or let out a sound similar to sighing, because now that she was paying attention, Twilight could tell no air was actually released. “Imagine a pile of dust. Breathe life into it and shape it in the form of yourself. You then have a close, if crude, approximation of my nature. I am an automaton. A doll. A puppet without strings. I was made, not born. The list of definitions extends on... but I am neither willing, nor comfortable, continuing.”

The world was silent then, save for the sound of Twilight's own breathing. What kind of magic... could simulate life? To this degree? But the – Eternity – being attributed its existence to science. Not magic. But that was impossible! To create anything so advanced, so... real. Magic could be the only explanation! Modern science, taking away anything related to magic, couldn't even conceive of the notion being presented here. It had to work using some kind of magic but... what if it didn't? What... what could be learned, from something so advanced? Twilight's mind reeled at the implications. Dare she say – this went beyond first contact with a new race. This being could yield so many advancements... if it wasn't hostile... and – a loud cry echoed through the air as something in the distance was injured (or worse) – if she survived to tell of it.

A shift of footing on dusty stone signaled that Twilight was not alone in these thoughts as her unusual protector glanced concernedly toward the top of the ravine, “This place is not safe. You have alluded to the existence of a hospital and, presumably, safety. It would be best to leave here for there. You still require medical attention.”

If the cry didn't bring Twilight back to reality, that statement did. Her confusion, nervousness, and excitement regarding the speaker aside, Eternity had a point. The Everfree was hardly the best place to discuss anything, and she was hurt (but mostly tired.) But, was leading this being to Ponyville really the best idea? It hadn't acted hostile – quite the contrary – but it was just so... unnatural. Seeing it walk about with such a grievous looking injury on its back was disconcerting, regardless of whether or not it was truly harmed by its presence. But considering her own situation... unless her friends delved deep into the Everfree and risked getting themselves lost – and they would, in time, she was sure – there was no other way out of this situation... yet leaving the Everfree presented its own problem. Namely...

“About that...” Twilight spoke, somewhat sheepishly, “I'm kind of lost.”

Eternity's head tilted to the side quizzically before a prompt response was given. “How lost?”

“Not far. I haven't been wandering for that long... At least, I think I haven't. It's still light out... I think. It's hard to tell down here.”

The strange being glanced upward. Then it jumped. One moment, it stood before her examining the walls of the ravine... the next, it was latched onto the stone wall like some kind of bizarre spider, hands grasping something Twilight couldn't quite make out in the gloom. It climbed further up, breaking through the covering of vines, and Twilight lost sight of it completely.

.X.

When was the last time I enhanced myself beyond my standard parameters? A long time... Not long enough. Enhancing... I hated it. But time was necessary, and I did not trust the strength of these walls... Why did I jump? How long had it been since I jumped for any reason? Even when I fell into the chasms while wandering, so long ago, I refrained from enhancing. So why now? Why, last time?

Something howled in the distance, drawing myself away from my thoughts as I breached the flora covered-precipice, reminding me of the urgency of the situation. Urgency. That was why. I had something to protect. Something – someone – other than myself was relying on me. I could not let them down. This had to be done as quickly as possible... when was the last time I felt such a feeling? Such a drive? As if in answer, the voices I could never hear again, I heard once more.

“It'll be alr-” A crack – a gunshot. Calm assurance turning to cold fury. A scream. Blood. An indifferent voice. A familiar voice. “You... have ceased to be-”

I ended the thought. My past was meant to stay in the past, even if my purpose was to remember it... I had a present, now. I had a duty to it. This distraction was concerning. Something must be wrong... I would have to run maintenance. Later. For now... I spotted a sizable tree and, with another leap, was climbing up its branches. My head broke the canopy quickly, to my mild surprise. It wasn't thick, just... dense.

The unicorn was correct. The sun had passed its zenith, but the night was still two to three hours away. Probably. Probably? I had watched the sun drift horizon to horizon countless times, there could be no room for error. My memory was perfect... wasn't it? What if it the sun's cycle was different now? How much time had passed? What if little time had passed at all? What if my memory wasn't perf – Tangential distractions. I buried my thoughts and set about my current priority.

I could run self-diagnostics later, and find the source of these distractions then. For now, I had a wounded innocent to escort to safety. Not human. But innocent all the same. More importantly... alive. And real.

I reached the lowest branch of the tree and dropped to the ground, descending once more to the... unicorn... waiting below...what if it wasn't alive? Wasn't real?

Wide, violet eyes came into view in the gloom.

That would have to be proof enough.

Author's Note:

I do not desire this story's premature end. Therefor... We have this little 1.2k "gem" my tired mind has thrown together.

Characterization! Botched or not, I don't know. Probably so.

They should be getting out of the forest next chapter, I think.

Please feel free to comment, suggest, and speculate.