• Published 4th Mar 2012
  • 1,453 Views, 29 Comments

Artist's Block - Hot Dog Jones



Sketch is a happy colt living in Manehattan, but what'll happen when he has to leave it all behind?

  • ...
3
 29
 1,453

Chapter 1 - Irreplaceable

"We're MOVING?!" I exclaimed to my mother as she gave me the news.

"I'm afraid so, darling," she said back, "Now, now. Don't look so glum! You'll have plenty of friends in Ponyville, I'm sure of it."

"But nobody can ever replace Starshine, mom. You know that."

"I know, I know." She stroked my mane softly as she saw my sad expression. "I'm sure Starshine is important to you, but I'm afraid you'll have to let her go. Maybe you'll find somepony new - hope for the best, Sketch," she added with a sort of grim smile.

"But I don't want somepony new!" I said back, "I want her." My mother just shook her head apologetically and walked out of my room. I sat on my bed, sulking. How would I ever tell Starshine I was moving? And to Ponyville of all places? That town's in like, the middle of nowhere. Would I even get to visit her? What would we spend our final days together doing? Would she hate me?

These endless questions continued to plague my mind as I slept. Actually, scratch that. I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned in my bed, but the sleep wouldn't come. I must have laid there for hours, trying to sleep.

But that's when I decided I had to take action. That's when I decided it was time to set things right. I got out of my bed and walked out the front door.

The night air was cold and chilled my fur, but it didn't matter. Nothing mattered, because I was going to see the filly I loved. I could see Starshine's cottage in the distance, we didn't live very far. My heart pounded in my chest as I walked through the streets. I was nervous, but I was determined to fix this. With a confident look on my face, I finally reached her house. I hoped she would understand me waking her, but on the other hoof, this was important.

I picked up a few small pebbles. I had only seen this in movies, but I hoped it would work. I drew back my hoof and then threw a stone towards her window. With a few rock throws, I finally saw her open the blinds. Huh, so the movies were right for once. She appeared at the window tired, but happy to see me.

"Sketch? Why are you here this late?" She said.

"Listen, Starshine.. We need to talk."

***

I brought her up to our secret place, a tall hill with a shady tree on top. We sat down, enjoying the cool night air for a moment before I finally spoke the bad news. "Jeez, um.. How to say this.." I said, stumbling over my words.

"Sketch, it doesn't matter what you say. I'll still love you," she said, putting her head on my shoulder.

I sighed and began my explanation. "Starshine.. I'm moving away from Manehattan." I hung my head and continued, trying not to look the filly in the eyes. "We're going to Ponyville so my mom can work for a new client there, somepony who runs a boutique or something.. You're not mad, are you?" She simply smiled and put her hoof under my chin, slowly bringing my head back up.

"Don't worry," she said, "I'm not mad. I'll send you letters, and we can still visit, and.. Well, it's not that bad." She said, trying to cheer up my mood. "We still have the time until you move, anyway.."

There was a long silence. I was going to say something, but I stopped, feeling Starshine's hoof on top of mine. She looked me straight in the eyes, and I knew everything was going to be okay.

"I love it when she does that," I thought to myself.

***

That week, we were on top of the world. It was just me and her, and we were madly in love. I drew pictures of her, and she giggled with excitement whenever I did. We went to big meadows and rolled down the grassy hills together. We visited the beach and made sand sculptures of eachother. We weren't Sketch or Starshine - we were us. But then something particularly magic rolled around, right before the day of my move.

I awoke slowly around 10:00, glad to be on winter break away from school. I reached for my glasses, and when I put them on, I was astonished.

Outside my window was the most beautiful blanket of snow I had ever seen.

I ran downstairs in my excitement, grabbing my coat and running out the door. My parents didn't question it- They always knew what I did for the first snow. I ran straight to the local coffee shop, and didn't hesitate to buy two hot cocoas. Putting them in my saddlebag, I headed straight for Starshine's house.

I knocked a few times right before hearing hoofsteps and the opening of a door. There was Starshine, already prepared to spend the first snow with me, and not to mention looking pretty as ever. I handed her the cocoa and we walked down to our secret spot, ready to spend the day together.

***

We had just come in from the snow after spending what would probably be our last first snow together. Now it was time for the last part of the day, and arguably the best one.

It was the time we spent together, just cuddling by a fire. We laid there, holding each other, and simply talked about things. I knew I had to bring up the subject some time, and so I tried my best not to make it too sad.

"Starshine, I just want you to know that this past week was the time of my life. Thank you for everything you've done for me, and even when I move, I'll never forget you," I said to her, a tear in my eye.

She smiled and said, "Sketchy, you're the best coltfriend I could ever hope to have, and I want you to know that even though you're moving, I'll still love you. I always will. And even though it seems like I'm gone, I'll always be with you, in your thoughts and in your heart."

It was that moment where we shared a kiss. This wasn't a normal kiss though - it was the most magical kiss I've ever experienced- No, the most magical kiss in all of history. My heart pounded furiously, and my mind refused to think. And everything just stopped.