• Published 4th Mar 2012
  • 1,452 Views, 29 Comments

Artist's Block - Hot Dog Jones



Sketch is a happy colt living in Manehattan, but what'll happen when he has to leave it all behind?

  • ...
3
 29
 1,452

Chapter 9 - Love You Too

Where am I?

Nothing but darkness. Strange.

Wait a minute.. What’s that? My sketch pad?

I picked up the dirty book and held it in one hoof. Seeing nothing else to do, I flipped a page.

Nothing.. But I’ve been drawing in here for years!

The book showed nothing but blank pages. I kept turning the rustic pages, hoping, praying, to find something, but all I found were blank pages.

That is, until I turned to the last page.

What is.. I know this picture.

It was the outline of a mare - I could tell by the long hair and slim form. But it also looked really old and tattered, like..

That picture I crumpled a few days ago! What is it doing here?

Suddenly, the picture started to take the shape of someone. I could see the curves moving to a bit of a bulky frame, and the body turning a distinct shade of orange..

Scootaloo..?

“Why?” a light voice said.

I jerked my head up to see a filly, about 15 years of age, and with a white coat and horn.

“Sweetie Belle, I-“

“Wha’ indeed!” another voice said.

I turned to see yet another filly, with a yellow coat and a bow in her silky, red hair. She gave me a glare, and I stepped back, hitting something behind me. I quickly turned.

It was a mare with a yellow coat, hair the color of fresh pine wood, and a frown upon her face. It wasn’t an angry frown, but a look of sheer sadness. Like nothing else in the world had made her that devastated.

She turned away, and began to walk.

“No, don’t leave!”

She continued to trot, not even glancing my way.

With a yell, I awoke.

***

NO!” I screamed, jerking myself awake, and severely scaring the pony by my bed.

“Mr. Sketch, are you alright? Can I get you something?” the nurse said to me, frazzled from my sudden awakening.

“Uh, no,” I chuckled, “I’m fine. Just a bad dream.”

She nodded and left me to my thoughts. Thinking back to the dream, I grabbed my sketch book from the bedside table. Turning the pages, I noticed all my drawings were safe inside the tattered covers. I checked the back page, and sighed in relief when I saw it was empty.

But what does it all mean?

I pondered the dream over and over, thinking what it could all be about. Did I have some sort of vision? Is this what’s going to happen? Or is this just my worries, plaguing my mind?

The one thing I couldn’t drive out of my brain, and still can’t to this day, is the look of utter sadness on Starshine’s face. I couldn’t handle the utter demolishing I had brought upon this poor filly’s spirit. I had to make things right, but how?

I lay in my bed, tossing and turning, as the dream refused to leave my head. Finally, something relieved me of the useless practice.

“Sketch? You awake?” a familiar voice said. It was my mother, Bit Star, coming to comfort me.

***

My mother was a simple mare, worked in finance, had a husband and a kid. It was a great life, despite it being so resistant to change. She had grown up in Manehattan, with only her own mother to protect her from the harsh ways of the city. Her father deserted her when she was only 3, but from what I hear they had the same coat – a sky blue that could brighten the rainiest of days.

She met my father when they were around 25 – he was patrolling around the town and she just happened to bump into him. It was a quick way to meet your soul-mate, but I guess that’s just love. My father was what her father should’ve been, but never was – a shining beacon of care and protection – I suppose this all plays in to their love.

My father was a light brown colt, just like me, but with light brown hair. He told me about he was always teased as a kid, and that went to him getting a civil protection job, making the world a better place to live. He loved to joke, but was always serious for you if you needed help. He probably knew us better than we did because of all the love he gave us. Anyway, delving back into my past..

***

My mother stepped in the room, hoping to give me some company. “Hi, mom,” I said, sitting up and smiling. She smiled back.

“Hi, little Sketchy. How’s the leg? Do you need a doctor or something?” She pointed to my cast bound hind-leg.

“It’s fine, mom, don’t worry. And I thought I told you not to call me ‘Sketchy,’” I said back with a chuckle.

She nodded and apologized, “I’m sorry, I’m just so used to calling you that from your foal years.”

“It’s okay. Anyway, what brings you here?”

“Just thought I’d see how my Sketch was doing,” she said with a ruffle of my hair, “Oh! And I brought you something!”

She pulled something out of her saddlebag and placed it on my bedside table. Grabbing my specs and putting them on, I could see the object was a picture. It was a photo of my classmates, CMC in the front with big smiles. It had many signatures on it, along with the caption, “Get well soon, Sketch! – Miss Cheerilee

I smiled. The card was a connection to the world outside my room, and the friends I held so dear. I propped up the frame and continued to observe the signatures of my peers.

“Haven’t seen you smile like that for a while,” my mother said, smiling herself now.

I looked back at her and nodded. “Well, the leg’s a bit of a distraction.”

We both laughed. My mother could be controlling, strict, and sometimes even mean, but she never failed to be one of my best friends. I truly loved my mom, and she loved me.

She stayed for an hour or two, telling me what was happening at home and school, making small talk. I was surprised she was able to find time to visit me in her busy day.

“Alright, honey, I have to go.. I have to file some papers for Rarity in around an hour. But keep your spirits up, you’ll be healed in no time.” She gave me a huge hug. It broke, and she kissed me on the forehead. Stepping away, she added, “Your father should be coming some time later.. Just don’t forget how much we love you, Sketch.” She smiled, and trotted out the door.

I love you too, mom.