• Published 4th Mar 2012
  • 1,452 Views, 29 Comments

Artist's Block - Hot Dog Jones



Sketch is a happy colt living in Manehattan, but what'll happen when he has to leave it all behind?

  • ...
3
 29
 1,452

Chapter 14 - The First Snow

I smiled to myself, seeing a familiar yellow silhouette in the mist. It came towards me, the figure growing larger and larger steadily in my perspective. I could hear her soothing voice, letting out a tune so beautiful words couldn't justify it.

She was coming back.

***

My mother nudged my limp body, bringing an abrupt but soft end to my sleep. The train had stopped in Grand Middle Station, bringing my family and I to the center of Manehattan. I looked out the window for a few brief moments, basking in the glamour of the oversized station. Everything seemed so big and busy- ponies covering the main floor, looking at the pegasi-held signs stating what time which train was leaving. Trains were moving in and out of the station, causing a large amount of noise along with the chattering on the platform. I turned with a sigh and grabbed my belongings, knowing it was going to be a lot different here than in Ponyville.

It was getting late. The sun shone through the streets, the many tall buildings casting shadows. Many ponies still filled the streets, even at this hour. Some bought snacks or souveniers from various vendors, some walked, seemingly in a hurry, and some just stood by the main road and smoked cheap cigarettes. Nopony seemed to care about what was going on around them, and that was the main difference between the two towns I knew. I basked in the glow of the city, the walk totally silent between my parents and I.

We finally came to a halt outside of a tall building. It had a specifically shiny opening, apparently to draw people in. I knew this must be our hotel. We went through the revolving door, only to be greeted by an overly cheery pony.

“Howdy there, folks! Welcome to the Manehattan Tower Hotel!” he said with a smile too big for his face. “How about letting us take up your bags?” We handed over our luggage to the greeter pony, who then handed it to some work ponies who were much less happy. I could see why he got this job. We pushed past him and went to the front desk to check in.

After receiving our keys, we went up to our rooms. My parents gave me my own room, either because they wanted to give me some peace, or because they didn’t want to see my face. To this day I still don’t know. But it was good, because it gave me time to think.

I set my things down and plopped onto my bed. Even though I had slept on the train, I was still extremely exhausted. I laid on my side, looking out the window at the city I was born in but hardly knew. I remembered my mother’s words almost as distinctly as if I was there- I raised you with what little money I had! I gave everything for you! I couldn’t help wondering what my life was like here, and I couldn’t help feeling guilty for not knowing already. With a sigh I pushed my face into my pillow, knowing it was going to be a hard night to sleep.

***

I awoke from my dreamless sleep, hearing a knock on the door. Glancing over at my clock, I found it was around eleven AM. Woah, eleven? I thought, I must be a late sleeper. Another knock came from the door, louder than the last one. I sat up, stretched briefly, then went over to the door and opened it.

Standing outside was my father. “We’re going to Starshine’s in about an hour, son. Be ready by noon, okay?” he said softly. I nodded, acknowledging his request. He shut the door as I moved back towards my luggage. I didn’t have a lot of luggage. It was mostly clothing because I didn’t remember anything personally. I did, however, bring the three items that were presented to me at the hospital. Who knows, they could’ve had some sort of purpose.

I opened my luggage and grabbed a jacket- It was getting to be winter now, and the air was getting colder. My parents told me we had moved to Ponyville in late spring, so I had forgotten almost a year’s time in the village. Along with everything else, of course. I didn’t have time to reminisce though- I had to meet a certain filly. I put her letter to me in my pocket and set off.

***

I still shivered, even in my jacket. It was much colder than I originally thought, but I didn’t really know what a Manehattan winter was like. I sighed, the air forming a painted echo of my hot breath. Alongside me was my father, not speaking a word, but just walking, determined to get to his destination.

“You okay, son?” he said to me, glancing down with that sincere look of his.

“Yeah,” I chattered back, “Just a little cold.” My father nodded and removed his own jacket, then draped it over my shoulders. I smiled at him and muttered, “Thanks.” He only replied with another nod.

I then realized how much I respected my father. I hadn’t known him for very long, but he was a truly good pony. I heard how he was a part of the Manehattan Police Force, along with the Ponyville Police since we moved there. He always seemed to know what to do in every situation, and put others before himself. I could tell he truly loved his family, and he cared for them every moment of the day. He was probably the best stallion I knew, and I wished I could be more like him.

“Here we are, Sketch.”

I woke up from my thoughts and looked to the small house we were in front of. We were far out of the main part of the city, and instead were in a small suburb with plenty of space. It almost reminded me of Ponyville, the way it was set up. You could see the city in the distance from the small cottage.

I nodded to my father and stepped up to the front door. I raised my hoof and knocked on the wooden door, the pressure making me nervous. Hoofsteps could be heard from inside, coming towards me. The door opened, revealing a bright yellow filly with dazzling green eyes and brown hair.

She stared at me a moment, not sure what to think. “..Sketch?” she muttered, as if she couldn’t believe I was here.

I smiled and nodded, my smile gradually turning to a laugh. She laughed too and brought me into a large hug. We both stood there embracing eachother for a few seconds, enjoying eachother’s company. After the hug parted she said, “Come inside! You must be freezing out there.” She guided me inside and gestured to a couch where I could sit.

I accepted the offer and took a seat. Starshine sat next to me, still smiling. “I can’t believe you’re here! You never told me you were coming!”

“Yeah, sorry,” I said, running one of my hooves through my hair. “It was all kind of sudden. But, we’re here,” I finished with a grin. Starshine pulled me into another quick, tight hug.

“And I’m so glad you are. It’s been a while since the last letter.”

I nodded, pulling the letter out of my jacket. It was found at the hospital and presented to me after my last stay there. I hadn’t even opened it yet- In a way, I suppose I was afraid to. “Yeah, about all that.. Starshine, there’s a reason why I’m here. And it’s kind of complicated.”

“Hmm? What would you come here for other than to visit?”

“It’s.. kind of a long story, and it’s not a happy one,” I said, lowering my eyes to the floor.

Starshine lifted my chin up with a hoof and replied, “Don’t worry about it, I’ll hear you out.” She looked at me, with her piercing green eyes and uplifting smile.

I sighed and began my story. I told her of how I lost my memory spontaneously, how I was having dreams about her, and why I was back in Manehattan. She looked at me the whole time, occasionally nodding or commenting. She seemed like a mother would, sincerely listening.

“So the doctors told you to look for remnants of your memory, and the only one was..”

I finished the sentence for her. “You.” She nodded, and there was a small silence. “..Listen, Starshine, I know this is really sudden, and I don’t want to force anything on you or anything.. You don’t have to help if you-“

She put a hoof to my mouth to silence me. “But I want to help, Sketch. For your sake.” She moved her hoof on top of mine.

I love it when girls do that.

***

The sun was setting and the sky was turning a bright orange. By now it was getting late, and Starshine and I were spending our day together. My father had gone back to the hotel and gave me money for a cab, which I didn’t have any objection to. My only hope and care was that I got my memory back, given to me by this cute yellow filly.

“C’mon, there’s something I want to show you,” Starshine said, giving me my jacket and scarf. “It’s an old spot we used to go to.” I nodded and donned the garments. We stepped out the door into the cold evening air. It had gotten much colder since my father and I’s walk to Starshine’s.

We walked for a few minutes until we came to a tall, grassy hill. Starshine started climbing it and I followed. At the top was a low tree, giving enough shade to cover somepony in summer and enough to keep them dry in a snowy winter. “This is it,” she said, sitting down. I sat down next to her against the trunk of the tree, only to see the most spectacular view of the city.


I could see small ice crystals coming from the sky. Starshine looked up and smiled. “The first snow.” I looked over at her and couldn’t help smiling myself. “Do you remember what we used to do when the first snow of the season came?”

I shook my head and told her to go on. “You would always come to my house with some cocoa and invite me to go out. Then we would spend the whole day together, playing in the snow. And then we would come back in and cuddle by the fire.” She nuzzled my neck. “I miss those days.”

“It sounds fantastic,” I said back. “And.. well, you sound fantastic.”

She laughed and said, “You always know what to say, Sketchy.” She sat there for a moment, her head resting on my shoulder. Then she suddenly stood up. “C’mon, let’s go,” she said, reaching out a hoof to help me up.

I accepted it and got up as well. “Go where?”

“Well, we don’t want to keep the snow waiting, do we?” She winked at me with a grin before grabbing my hoof and pulling me out of the shade of the tree.

***

The sun had fully set and Luna’s moon was resting high above Manehattan. I laid in the snow next to Starshine, holding her as we looked up at the sky. “So, do you think you remember anything yet?” she said to me, her gaze not straying from the stars.

I sighed and said, “Not really.. But this day was wonderful, and I’m so glad I got to spend it with an amazing filly.” I ran my hoof through her hair and smiled at her.

“If you don’t remember our relationship, then why are you holding me so tight?”

I pulled away from her grip. “I.. Um.. Well..”

“Well?” she said with a chuckle.

“I.. Kind of like you.” I said, my face red.

She pulled me back towards her. “You’re cute,” she said with a smile.

“Heh.. I-“ My sentence was stopped short by her kiss. It was technically my first kiss, and it was an amazing one. We spent what seemed like hours just kissing, embracing one another and softly smacking our lips together.

***

After walking Starshine home, I hailed a cab and went back to the hotel. I was feeling better about myself- about my memory, about my life, and about my situation. Sure, I hadn’t gotten any ground yet on regaining my memory, but I had no doubt I could pull it off with Starshine’s help. She was the most amazing mare I knew, right along with-

“Sketch!”

“What the hell?!”

Behind my hotel door was a small, orange filly. She immediately ran up to me and kissed me. My reflexes reacted and I parted from the kiss. “What’s wrong, Sketch? Aren’t you happy to see me?”

“Scootaloo?! What are you doing here? You should be in Ponyville! How did you even-“

“Okay, okay, okay. I know it’s weird, but I can explain.”

“Please do.”

***

“Okay: so tell me what happened, one more time.”

“Ugh, fine. So I was being all girly and over-reactive, and I was really worried about you. So I ran away from home with the girls, took the train here, and snuck into your room when the cleaning lady wasn’t looking. Is it really that big a deal?”

“Is it a big deal?! Of course it’s a big deal! Your parents are probably worried sick! Why did you even need to bring the other girls?”

“Well, I couldn’t go alone.”

I sighed and sat down on the bed, burying my face in my hooves. So Scootaloo was here, in Manehattan, along with Sweetie Belle and Applebloom, all crowding up my hotel room. It seemed like a dream, no- a nightmare. I wanted someone to pinch me and have myself wake up in my bed, finding out none of this really happened. But it was really happening. Right now.

“There’s one thing I want to know,” Sweetie Belle chimed in. “What was with that… yknow, the..”

Applebloom finished for her. “I think the thing Sweets is trying to ask is, why were you guys kissing?”

I looked over at Scootaloo, who had obviously forgotten that our relationship was secret. “Well, you see..” she began, “Me and Sketch are kind of a.. thing.”

“Wait, you? And him?!” Sweetie Belle yelled, pointing to us.

“Well, were kind of a thing. Were. I mean, I hardly know you guys now. It would be..” I didn’t finish, but instead just looked at Scootaloo.

She looked back at me, about to tear up. “Yeah, I get it.” She paused and stood up. “Listen.. I’m going for a walk. I’ll be back in a bit, I just.. Need to clear my head.” She went out the door, and once it was closed, somepony else spoke up.

Dammit, Sketch!” Sweetie Belle yelled, banging her hoof into a nearby wall. I backed off.

“Sweetie, be easy on him! It’s not his fault he doesn’t-“

“Shut the hell up, Applebloom! You have no idea the things that have happened between me and him!” She moved her deathly gaze from Applebloom to me. “You,” she said, threateningly moving closer to me, “You think you can just use us?!”

“What are you even talking about, Sweets? I-“

“Look, pal, you have no idea about my feelings for you. I was devastated the entire time you were in Ponyville. I thought I saw things. I saw you and Applebloom dancing that one day after detention, I saw you and Scootaloo resting on that hill, and I sure as hell saw you kissing me!”

“Look, maybe I was a bit of a jerk, but-“

“A BIT of a jerk?! A BIT? Really, Sketch? I thought you were our friend!”

I looked at Applebloom. “We danced?” She blushed and nodded.

“Yes, Sketch. And we kissed. We were a thing. But of course, you don’t remember, no, because you’re not just a bit of a jerk, you’re a damn MORON!”

She lurched forward and hit me with a punch so hard it could break cement. I flew back against the wall and started to black out. The last thing I could see before I was totally unconscious was the image of Applebloom holding back a tear-faced Sweetie Belle.