• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 313 Views, 11 Comments

Life Struggles - hillbilly_andy



a former soldier, now a farmer has to face his horrific past, even though its driving him insane. but with some help from an unlikely source, he might just be able to turn it around..or will he continue to feed his insanity and lose himself with it?

  • ...
 11
 313

Why?

Chapter 3-Why?

“……” I couldn’t speak. “A-Accident? What do ya mean accident? Is my grandpa ok? What happened?” I choked out, fear in my voice.

“Sir, you just need to come to the station and I will explain everything.”

I sighed, “…Very well.”

“Now, I understand you live up on the mountain in the muddy ridge correct?” He asked.

“Yes sir.” I replied respectfully. “Well is there anyone with you? Friends, Family, Neighbor? If so, you’ll need to bring someone with you.” I looked to Twilight and stared at her for a moment thinking, her confused and worry full face matching mine.

“Yes, there is…Why?” I asked confused.

“Andy, I will explain everything once you get here, I promise.” The officer snapped, sounding tired. “…Ok, see you in a bit.” I let out a deep sigh as I hung up the phone. Twilight looked at me with concern; I couldn’t look at her innocence without trying to tear up so I had to direct my attention elsewhere. A I stood staring out of the window, I could feel a tear wanting to break out. ‘No, not yet…don’t jump to conclusions. You remember the last time you were emotionally stunted… you promised yourself you wouldn’t do that again.’ I thought to myself shuddering at the memory until I was interrupted in thought and brought back to reality.

“Andy... What is wrong? What is that device? What accident? Is everything ok?” she asked pointing to the telephone. I turned to look at her, my face as hard and blank as a stone wall.

“It’s called a phone. It lets me talk to people far away and the accident… I don’t know, he just told me to head into town.” I looked at her a moment, “I need your help Twilight.” She perked up. “With?”

“I need you to come to town with me, I might need your help, with what, I aint sure yet. But all he told me was to bring someone. Or in your case…somepony.” Twilight smiled, “Sure, I would love to go with you. It is the least I can do for you taking me in. Do I get to meet other…”

“Yes,” I said abruptly cutting her off. “But there’s one thing…two things actually. You can’t talk, or use your magic around others, if it’s just you and me, then yes but otherwise don’t talk and don’t use magic.” Twilight looked hurt, “But…why?” she asked confused. “Because,” I began sternly. “Others aren’t like me, they aint open minded. They’ll see you and it will scare them, then they will think of ya as a threat. After that, people will take you, and you’ll never see your friends again…you’ll never be able to go home.” Twilight sat there staring at me, sulking. “Look Twilight…” I began as I knelt down and put my hand on her shoulder, “I’m just as confused as you are. I only say these things to protect you, I don’t say them to hurt you. I don’t want you to get hurt, or ruin your innocence just because humans are being humans…understand?”

“Not really. Why aren’t other humans like you like you say?”

“I don’t know. I know you’ve only known me for about a day now, not even that but your just ganna have to trust me.” Still kneeling, She looked into my eyes, no…into my soul, “You know, there’s just something about you… sure, I trust you.” She said giving a fake grin. “Listen, I promise on my…no…my grandfathers grave that I will never let anything bad happen to you. And I’ll try my best to help you find a way to get you home.” I said giving my best reassuring grin.

Twilight stared at me with watery eyes, “I…I don’t know what to say, I’ve never meet another pony, err human, like you willing to do everything for a total stranger that you know nothing about.” She grinned at me and rushed forward, pulling me into a hug. I was taking aback by this. I’m not really a ‘Touchy-feely’ kind of guy. Never did understand but I’ve always connected better with animals, sure she was a talking pony, but she was still one of mother nature’s beautiful creatures, even if she’s not from this planet… I stayed there, frozen, not knowing what to do. “Thank you.” She said, barely audible. I gave an awkward pot on her back. “Sure… no problem, it’s in the job description of a farmer.” She looked up at me, her face beaming. After a long awkward stare I coughed and broke the silence. “Well, we should probably get going; we got a long night ahead of us.” I said as I stood up. “Let me get cleaned up and we can get off this mountain and make sure my grandpa fine and bring him home.” I chuckled at a memory, “He probably just got drunk and needs a ride home or something” Twilight and I chuckled together as I started towards the bathroom.

I got inside the small bright room and started the hot water. I closed the door and began to undress. After the water was warm enough I hoped in and quickly scrubbed down. Its wasn’t a very long one cause our hot water doesn’t last very long, so it was short lived. I got out and dried off staring at myself in the mirror, admiring myself. Now, I don’t mean to brag but I was looking good. I wasn’t at massive body builder status, but I wasn’t a string bean either. I was somewhere in-between. I was... ‘Built’ and ‘toned’. I chuckled at myself as I was flexing in front of the mirror, acting like a child. The constant working of the farm had definitely made me stronger. I stared at my face in the mirror, my long beard and long hair, for some reason it just felt a bit much.

“Eh, why not,” I said aloud, “I was getting tired of the hippie hair anyways.” I reached under the sink and found some electric clippers, a small bag of attachments, and my razor. I went ahead and buzzed off my beard and giving it a close shave afterward to a baby smooth finish. After that I then added a small attachment to the clippers, about one inch, and gave her hell. After I was finished, I looked at my handy work, clean shaven and a nice, small, tight buzzed hair cut. I looked over it to if I missed any spots…nope. My facial features pronounced and the large scar that went from the corner of my right eye down to the top of my lip, ‘Awesome’ I thought ‘now I remember why I always kept the beard and long hair… oh well’. I looked at the large mound of hair in the sink and picked it all up and threw it in the trash. I tightened up my towel and headed out the bathroom; I walked through the living room and saw twilight playing with a deck of cards at the kitchen table. ‘Well at least she knows what those are.’ I thought to myself. I turned the corner just before the kitchen into my room, and headed for the corner where my dresser was. I picked out some jeans and a red, button up, plaid shirt with the sleeves cut off. I threw my boots on and picked up my straw hat and threw it on. I found all my necessary items back in the bathroom were I had left them, like my wallet, pocket knife, chew and keys.

As I walked back into the kitchen and saw Twilight still playing cards I spoke, startling her. “Hey, what do ya think?” I asked spreading my arms. She looked me over and smiled. “You shaved and cut your hair, I like it. I never noticed that scar before.”

“Ya, I forgot it was there to.” I said with a small chuckle. She gave a slight giggle, “Well, you clean up nice. Are we ready?”

“Yep, shall we.” I said, opening the door and gesturing outside. Twilight walked outside as I fallowed. “One problem though, how are we going to get to town, we can’t walk it will be dark soon, and I can’t use my teleportation spell to a place I haven’t been before.” She asked.

I laughed, “Ha! Walk? Fuck that shit, that would be one hell of a long walk. Were taking my truck.” The young mare looked confuse as we walked. “What’s a truck?”

“It’s how people get around, they use machines for transportation.” I explained

“Oh, how very interesting.”

We got to my truck that was just around the house with an audible. “Ta-Da!!” Twilight just stared at the strange piece of hulking metal before her. “This is my girl. A 1980 Dodge Ramcharger, I rebuilt her myself from the ground up. She’ll go anywhere you want to go. If there was a road to the moon, she’d get ya up there no problem.” I said with a grin as I walked up and gave the hood of the truck a light smack. “Yep, won the state Mud-Bogs with this baby, she’s the ultimate off-road rig.” Twilight watched it, walking around it, poking it, and inspecting it. “She?” Twilight asked.

“Well, it don’t have a gender, it’s just habit.” I replied slightly embarrassed.

“So how do we ride it?”

I just laughed, “You got to get in it and start it first.” As I opened the door and jumped up into the truck. I looked over and saw twilight was having trouble getting in the truck until she simply levitated herself in and shut the door with a confident smile. I grinned and put the key in the ignition and turned it. I was greeted with the sound of thunder from the big block engine and straight pipe exhaust. Twilight jumped and began looking for the sound, my grin increased even more. “It’s how she breathes,” I said if reading her mind. “It’s very loud” she said with a nervous smile. I had a grin the size of the Chester cat. “You haven’t seen nothing yet.” I yelled as I threw it in gear and smashed the gas pedal.

We were off like a rocket, putting both of us back in our seat, and bringing the pipes to life, getting a “Yee Haw!” from me. I looked over to see Twilight scream and have a look of terror on her face. She was holding on to the seat so tight, I could see the stitches begin to tear.

After a bit of playing around and explaining how it all works, we were on our way down the mountain. It was relatively silent besides the occasional question or ohh’s and ahh’s as she watched the scenery. Once we hit the main road an idea struck me. I realized I would probably have a radio signal now that were off the mountain. I flicked the knob on the radio and started to dial it into a working station. I stopped when hearing a clean and clear channel. ‘Big Iron’ by Marty Robbins was playing. Twilight turned her head at me with a grin on her face.

“You can’t tell me you don’t have radios on your planet.” I said jokingly

“Oh we do, I’ve just never heard your music before…This is a type of country?” she asked. I grinned, ‘At least she knows what music is…it’s a start.’ I thought. “Yep, but personally I prefer bluegrass.” She cocked her head, confused again. “I’m pretty sure you’ve heard it before, maybe you know it by something different.” She nodded and turned her head to look out the window. The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful and silent. There were a few questions about music, people, the city, and things she saw as we drove by. It was pretty dark, so I switched on the lights and she asked about them to.

As we drove, the city lights were coming to view. “What are those lights?” Twilight asked. I sighed at the fact of realizing where we were going. “That... That is the city sug.”

“Well, it looks pretty.”

“Ya, well, it’s hell.” She looked at me for an explanation, but I didn’t give one. “Now remember what I told you, no talking and no magic. Its ganna be hard enough trying to explain a purple unicorn… then again it might not be. From what I understand, everyone thinks that I’m some crazy nutcase that lives in the mountains.”

“Why do other humans think you’re crazy? You don’t seem crazy to me.”

“Who knows… I might be... I really don’t know, I think it’s because I spend more time, get along better, and talk to animals more than I do people. I guess people just don’t understand and it freaks them out.”

“Huh…humans are strange.” She said deep in thought, tapping her hoof on her chin.

“Ya…Ya they are.”

Twilight looked away and began to stare outside the window again, watching in awe as we entered the city and began passing people, trucks and cars, lights and buildings abounds. After some unintended road rage and a few fingers, I finally made my way to the police station. It may be a small city, but a city is a city in my book. I pulled into the police station and found a parking spot in the near empty parking lot, save for a few police cruisers and car. I pulled up and turned the truck off and just stared at the building, not wanting to move. I felt a hoof on my knee and looked down to see a reassuring Twilight grinning at me. I smiled a little, let out a deep sigh and pulled the keys from the ignition, got out, and let the young mare jump out before closing the door. As we walked to the small, square, gloomy looking building my mind was elsewhere, thinking of many things. Family, friends, animals, a truck, a fire…the war…the explosion… I shook my head because I knew were that was going. ‘I don’t ever want to remember that.’ I thought to myself. I was so deep in thought I almost ran into the door. I opened the door and let Twilight and myself through. The building was blank and dull, empty at that save for a few chairs and a large desk in front of me with a young woman staring at her computer.

She looked up from her computer and stared at me, then at Twilight, then back at me and finally back to her computer. Without looking up she spoke, “Sir I’m going to have to ask you to take your…err horse outside.” This agitated me a bit, “You leave her be, she aint hurting anything.”

“Sir its company policy that anim…”

“Hey.” I said interrupting her, getting slightly pissed, “Do you feed me, fuck me, or pay my bills?” The lady looked from her computer appalled. “No? Then go fuck yourself…Fucking people I swear.” I finished with a mutter. “SIR I…”

“Andy! About damn time you showed up. I’ve been waiting hours for you.” Said the voice from the phone. “Good to finally meet ya, we spoke on the phone earlier today, I’m chief officer Ralph Nile.” He finished as he walked the final distance and stuck out his hand. I obliged and shook his hand, taking in the large man. He was older, not quite as old as my grandpa, but older, he was small and was clean shaven. He had a lazy eye, it was confusing me not sure which one to look at. I hid a chuckle from my own thoughts with a cough and replied. “Likewise, you obviously already know me.”

“Yes well, you and your grandpa are pretty well known round here.” He said with a frown looking at the purple mare in the room, playing with the water fountain. “What’s with the...err horse?”

“You mean the unicorn? Don’t worry bout it. You told me to bring a friend and I did.” I said never taking my eyes off the heavy man. He was blank a moment as if he was having trouble trying to think of something to say. He then clapped his hands together and gave a slight chuckle, “Like I said… Well known.” Now, I was starting to get impatient.

“You told me to come to the station, and something about my grandfather. Why am I here? I’m pretty sure it’s not for chit-chat… So tell me what’s going on, is he in trouble?” The officer’s face changed instantly to one of worry. “Uh, no exactly, umm… Why don’t you come to my office, I need to tell you some things.” I nodded and looked back at the curious mare examining the desk lady. “Come on Twilight,” I said with a slight chuckle, causing the mare to turn around and smile.

“But Sir I… Oh forget it.” The lady at the desk begun to say, realizing arguing would be fruitless. Twilight and I walked along side each other following the large man down the short, narrow hallway. The man stopped at the end of the hall and opened a door as he gestured us into the room. We stood at the front of a cramped looking office with a small desk and a computer by a large window, and two cheap looking chairs in front of the desk in the middle of the room. Once we were all in the room, the officer shut the door and made his way to his desk and sat in a comfortable looking office chair. ‘He’s acting just like me C.O did when…no don’t think about it.’ I thought. I got to his desk and sat down in one of the chairs finding it oddly uncomfortable, while Twilight just sat next to me on the floor. The officer ran his hands down his face with a deep sigh.

“So, what’s the big deal? Mind explaining everything, and why I had to travel 2 fucking hours from my house to the nearest town?” I asked getting impatient.

“Andy…” The officer started, “The doctors did everything they could, they…” he paused a moment, “I’ve known your grandpa for quite a while and I know he did what he thought was right.” I raised an eyebrow not sure where this was going, but something in the back of my mind told me I knew all too well.

“…He…There’s no easy way to say this, so I’m just ganna say it. There was a robbery at the local convenience store and your grandpa was at the wrong place at the wrong time. There were two boys, looked young, who robbed the store at gunpoint. Well your grandfather saw this and tried to stop it…he…he was shot in the process.”

I just stared at him in shock, as if he was playing a joke on me. I quickly realized my grandpa wouldn’t do something like that, he is a prankster, but he wouldn’t do that… I continued to stare at him, no emotions showing, just dumbfounded shock. “Well…then he’s…” I couldn’t finish.

“Dead? Yes…I, I’m very sorry.” He said as he finished my sentence. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I felt a tear trying to creep its way out, I sucked it back in, ‘no...not yet, not here.’ I replaced my sadness with anger, revenge and other thoughts and feelings. “I see…who?” I said quietly and deadly.

“I’m not sure I was hoping you could help me with that. You see we have a video, would you be willing to watch it and see if you can identify the robbers?” I nodded and looked to Twilight who had a silent tear streaking down her face. I looked back and saw the officer doing something on his computer; he clicked something and turned the monitor so I could watch. It was a still picture of a convenience store I’ve seen hundreds of times. He pushed a button and this went into motion.

It was a simple corner store, a view from a video camera looking to the entrance of the shop and inside through two large windows. My grandfathers truck pulled into a parking spot right out in front of the entrance, id recognize that old truck anywhere. I couldn’t hear it so I assumed it didn’t have any audio. He got out and looked up into the camera as if knowing I was watching him. I stared into those deep blue eyes feeling on the verge of tears again.

He walked and entered the store and went right up to the counter, I assumed he was buying chew. As he got to the check out desk, a vehicle pulled up very quickly, two men jumped out and ran inside guns drawn. My grandpa saw this and immediately threw himself towards one of the armed men and tried to grab the gunman’s weapon. He tussled with him for a moment and turned his back to the camera now. There was movement of arms and a sudden flash. Everything stopped as if someone had paused the video. My grandpa stumbled to the counter, clutching his chest, watching as his blood dripped to the floor. The gunmen shocked, not knowing what to do, giving the clerk behind the counter time to reach under the counter and grab a shotgun. It looked like it scared the robbers and they began to run. There was another small flash of light and one of the windows exploded. As the gunmen ran out the door one of the robbers looked right at the camera. ‘I know him’ I thought ‘That’s Kameron and his little brother…’ Anger swelled in my body as I continued to watch my grandpa.

He was hanging on the counter, trying to dig something out of his pocket smearing the object with blood. A piece of paper? He clutched the paper and began to stumble towards the door, as the clerk tried saying something moving his hands, but I couldn’t tell. My grandpa walked out the door the best he could, heading towards his truck. Once he got to his truck, he opened the door and tried to get in, but slid down to the ground, back against the truck. He was breathing deeply and holding the paper close, clutching it as if his life depended on it. I saw his chest rise once, and his arms fell to his side as a single glittering tear ran down his face. He exhaled his last breath as the clerk ran outside to look for the injured man, and the video ended, just like that.

It was only about 40 seconds long. I felt the drop of a tear that I didn’t know I had shed, my face warm with sadness, furry, and vengeance. I stared at the blank computer screen until the officer moved it back to its original position, snapping me back to reality. I looked to the officer, his face asking the question. I thought a moment then answered. “No, I…I don’t know them.” I said between breaths, trying to keep my composure.

“You sure?” The officer asked, raising an eyebrow. I nodded and the man just sighed. A moment past in silence. “Oh, here, this was everything he had on him at the time.” He said as he fished into a drawer, handing me a set of keys, a watch, a wallet, and a blood smeared piece of folded up paper. For some reason the paper caught my eye. Why was it so important that he would hold onto it while he died? My curiosity found me and I opened it up. It was a letter. Two actually, and it looked like he’s been keeping them in his pocket for years, the letters smeared and bloody. On the back of it, it said, To: Andy, my grandson. Ok, now I had to read it. I cleared my throat and began to read aloud.

“Dear Andy, My grandson,

Why god made a farmer- God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer. God said, "I need somebody willing to get up before dawn, milk cows, work all day in the fields, milk cows again, eat supper and then go to town and stay past midnight at a meeting of the school board." So God made a farmer. "I need somebody with arms strong enough to rustle a bull and yet gentle enough to deliver his own grandchild. Somebody to call hogs, tame cantankerous machinery, come home hungry, have to wait lunch until his wife's done feeding visiting ladies and tell the ladies to be sure and come back real soon -- and mean it." So God made a farmer. God said, "I need somebody willing to sit up all night with a newborn colt. And watch it die. Then dry his eyes and say, 'Maybe next year.' I need somebody who can shape an ax handle from a persimmon sprout, shoe a horse with a hunk of car tire, who can make harness out of haywire, feed sacks and shoe scraps. And who, planting time and harvest season, will finish his forty-hour week by Tuesday noon, then, pain'n from 'tractor back,' put in another seventy-two hours." So God made a farmer. God had to have somebody willing to ride the ruts at double speed to get the hay in ahead of the rain clouds and yet stop in mid-field and race to help when he sees the first smoke from a neighbor's place. So God made a farmer. God said, "I need somebody strong enough to clear trees and heave bails, yet gentle enough to tame lambs and wean pigs and tend the pink-combed pullets, someone who will stop his mower for an hour to splint the broken leg of a meadow lark. It had to be somebody who'd plow deep and straight and not cut corners. Somebody to seed, weed, feed, breed and rake and disc and plow and plant and tie the fleece and strain the milk and replenish the self-feeder and finish a hard week's work with a five-mile drive to church. "Somebody who'd bale a family together with the soft strong bonds of sharing, who would laugh and then sigh, and then reply, with smiling eyes, when his son says he wants to spend his life 'doing what dad does.'" So God made a farmer.” I flipped over the page and saw another one and continued,

“That is why god and the spirits made us, made you my boy. It’s funny, that quote always made me think of you, that’s why I wrote it down. If you’re reading this then… well I’m dead. I was getting pretty old and I knew my time would come soon, Doctors said I had some heart problems, so I made arrangements just in case, so to speak. Everything I wanted to say but never had the time or enough balls to. Boy, you’ve been through a lot in your short time on earth, everything from the war, to your parents, friends and family, but you keep going no matter what and for that, I’m very proud of you. I’m proud of the soldier you were, the farmer you are, your helpful nature and everything inbetween… I watched you grow up from a fussy baby to the amazing man that you are today. If I was even half the man you are, my life would be better. But my life was great, because I got to see you, talk to you, play, and work with you damn near every day. I wouldn’t change it for the world. Yes, I’m gone, but don’t be sad, know that I’m always with you along with your mother and father and the rest of your family standing beside you no matter what. Don’t be mad either, be happy for me, cause now I get to be with your grandma again. Remember what she used to say all the time? “Kisses to heaven.” God I miss her. But just remember, never give up, always fight on, stick to your virtues that you’ve been taught no matter what. Always help those who need it, be kind, loyal, live your life to its fullest and never have regrets and always make good whiskey. Just like I taught you. Life is short and you only get one. One chance, so I’m ganna use this one chance to say, I love you boy, with all my heart. Always have and always will. I know I never said it often, but I just wanted you to know that I do. And just remember, if you’re ever missing me, just watch the sun rise. Watch it and know I’m sitting there watching it with you, and when the light hits you and you feel a warmth go through you cause of the morning sun, know it’s me, hugging you and telling you I love ya, along with the rest of your family. So get out there, have fun and make some memories and make me proud…I’ve always been proud of you, so goodbye and thank you, for making an old man’s life happy and complete. I love you son.”

I stopped, that was it. I stared at the paper as tears dotted the blood stained paper. A new kind of sadness, furry and revenge started in my mind. It felt as if something had just…snapped. Like someone cut a single piece of thin string. ‘I will make them pay for what they did, I swear…’ I thought angrily. I looked up to see not a single dry eye in the room. The officer and Twilight both had silent tears streaming down their cheeks, both of their eyes blood shot from the constant crying.

I cleared my throat to help ease the tension in the room, “So…When can I see him?” I said at the heavy seat man.

He cleared his throat and wiped his eyes, “Damn, makes me think of my granddad…uh, ya, well the hospital wants to do an autopsy and determine cause of death and clean him up so you can dress him up for the funeral,” he paused a moment thinking, “Around 2 days? If that.” He finished with a shrug.

“Would it be ok if I left his truck here for a bit?” I asked as I looked at Twilight.

“Sure, I’ll just have someone fallow you up to your place when the funeral is over. Sound good?”

“Ya,” I replied darkly. “Oh, and by the way, thanks for coming down here. I know you were kind of pissed at me, but it didn’t feel right telling you what happened and you have that long drive ahead.” He said with concern. I nodded, not taking my eyes of the letter. I sat a moment, blank and silent, and then I got up, stretched and turned around to walk out.

“Hey Andy,” he said stopping me. “I’m, so sorry, about all of this…Just, be careful going home.”

“I will… Come on Twilight, let’s go home.” I replied looking over at the sad purple mare.

“What are you going to do now?” he asked, “I’m ganna go home…” I finished dryly. I heard a long deep sigh from behind as we walked out. I walked back down the short narrow hallway, heading for the entrance. The desk clerk was gone. Good, fucking bitch. I moved the door away and continued walking, it wasn’t until we were damn near to the truck, the cool night air and stars only light, was when a voice stopped me.

“Why did you lie? He could of helped find those humans who did that your grandpa. Why?” Twilight asked in hushed tones as we continued walking towards my truck. “Wow, nothing gets passed you.” I said with a smirk. I took at deep sigh and explained. “Ya I know them. Kameron and his little brother, old friends of mine…” I paused a moment when we got to the truck. “I lied to him, because I have my own idea about justice, and they wouldn’t like the way I do things.”

“Why not?” Twilight asked in an innocent voice. I looked around, “Please…Get in the truck…” I said flatly, as I opened the door. She looked at me worriedly and carefully levitated herself inside to the passenger seat with me behind her jumping up into the driver seat. I fished around for my keys and found them relatively quickly, I jammed the keys in the ignition and I paused, I just stared down at the steering wheel thinking, trying to absorb everything that had just happened. I wanted to cry, scream, punch…kill, anything that would make everything right again. But I knew that nothing would be right again…ever.

I was snapped back to reality by a hoof on my knee. I looked up to see a half smiling, teary eyed Twilight looking at me.

“It’s not your fault Andy.”

“Maybe if I went with him…maybe if…” I tried to find something I could have done, something…anything. “There was nothing you could have done, from the sounds of it, it was just his time.”

“NOTHING?! I was an M.P. and part of a Special Forces unit in the military…I could of done something.” I said agitated. She said nothing, but simply brought a hoof to my face and made me face her. “Then, let’s fix this and bring those humans to justice, together.” I smiled a bit at that. “Thanks Twilight, but that is exactly what I’m going to do. You, I’m taking you back to the farm.”

“What! Why?”

“Because, you don’t need to be in the middle of this and see what I’m about to do…no, not another.”

“But…but my magic could be useful, I...I...” She said hurt. “It might be, but what im going to do you don’t need to be around it, let alone see it.” I replied darkly.

“What do you mean?” she asked worriedly, I thought a moment. “You want to help?..Fine.”I said quickly so she wouldn’t pry into it too much. She brightened up a bit. “But, You will do what I say when I say, without question, understand?” she looked at me with confusion then just nodded.

“Good, now it’s pretty late so why don’t we just find a hotel and crash for the night.”

“Sounds good to me.” Twilight replied with a half grin. “Alright let’s go.” Turning the key and starting the truck caused a small smirk to form on my face.

As we pulled out of the parking lot, I began looking for that convenience store, I know I’ve seen it before, but where… We pulled out and started down the road and it wasn’t that long, maybe 5 minutes and that’s when I saw it, near the edge of town. ‘That the store from the video, I know it. Now, just to find a hot… oh hey, that’s convenient.’ Just down the block, a few building down and across the street was a small looking building that said ‘HOTEL’ on a small illuminated sign.

I eyed the store as we drove by it, seeing a blown out window and a small dried, half ass cleaned, pool of blood…Yep, that the store alright. As we passed it, I began to slow down to turn into the hotel. As we turned into the small parking lot, I could see the hotel.

It was a Skinny, long, short building with maybe 6 or 8 rooms. It was pretty run down and old, and it looked like the main office were you check in was turned into a small house that branched off of the other rooms. I found a spot to park in front of the main office. ‘I hope someone’s there, considering how late it is.’

I turned off the truck and we jumped out and headed towards the door to the office. As I opened the door, there was a door chime and the sound of a small dog barking as we entered. The small house looked fairly new, it was clean and had a small desk and cash register on the right. Around us were many pictures of random people old and new, I assumed this was this person’s family. The house looked very…feminine. After a moment, I heard the shuffling of quick, small, footsteps. A light came on and in the doorway to another room stood a very small, fragile looking old lady.

Her hair was a frizzed white and in a bun. She wore glasses, a long tan nightdress and had wrinkles on her wrinkles. She looked at me and stopped, she stared at me a while as if trying to figure who I was. She looked familiar to me as well, but I couldn’t place her. She shook her head and moved behind the small desk, I walked up to it and answered her unasked question. “We need a room for two for the night.”

She wrote something down and looked up from her glasses and looked around. She then caught eye of the small purple unicorn mare standing next to me. She saw Twilight and stared, not saying a word. She looked to me and I just smiled widely, imagining what she was thinking. She shook her head and handed me a key. It had a piece of paper zip-tied to it. “6B?” I said looking at her with question. Without looking at me she spoke, “Outside, to the right, 5th door. It’ll say 6B, its 19 dollars for one night.”

“Right, thanks.” I gave the lady a 20 and turned around to head out the door, not caring about change. We got outside and headed down the rows of doors, we found our room and I used the key and walked in.

It was a small blank, depressing looking room with one large bed in the room. It had a small bathroom and stand up shower in the back, a small counter top with a radio and a lamp on it and…that was it. The light grey paint that gave the room its, someone’s died here before feeling, was cracked and chipping in places. There was strange stains near the front door and gave me the feeling that this room hasn’t had much up keep, let alone cleaned in a few years. Judging by the amount of dust on the windows, I was right. ‘No wonder the rooms are so fucking cheap.’ I thought to myself.

“Ahhh, I told her a room for two, maybe she…” I face palmed, ‘Weird old lady.’

“Were will I sleep?” Twilight asked far too cute for her own good.

“You can sleep on the bed, I’ll sleep on the floor next to you. I have a sleeping bag in the truck I can use.”

“Are you sure, I can...”

“Yes,” I said butting in, reassuring her. “Besides, I’ve got to run across the street and buy some chew, almost out.” I said holding my near empty can in the air and tapping it, making a hollow sound.

“Well ok.” She replied yawning and jumping onto the bed. “You ganna crash?”

“Yes, I’m quite tired.”

“Alright, well I’ll be back soon, I’ll take the key so don’t open the door for anyone.”

“Ok,” she yawned as she crawled under the blankets and got comfortable. I chuckled as I walked outside, locking the door behind me. I took a deep breath as the cool night air hit me and the dim light of the moon shine on me. ‘Now, to get my chew and take care of some…Investigation work.’ I thought to myself with an evil grin. ‘Where else better to start, then the scene of the crime.’ I turned and spotted the convince center down the street. I took another breath and started walking.

All the while I was walking I was thinking deeply, trying to put the puzzle pieces together. The clerk on the video, I know he looks familiar, but…where have I seen him before, I know him. I know I do. My thoughts were cut short as I entered the parking lot. The building was a small corner store that looked like it was made out of wood. It had to large windows that looked into it but one was bordered up. I stopped, thinking it through. ‘Now, I’m ganna have to get rid of that camera, where is…no, fucking, way…’ as I looked, in front of me facing the other direction, was the most jerry rigged camera I’ve ever seen. It was a basic video camera on a tripod that was duct taped to one of the pillars of the gas pump station. It was only about 7 feet up, just enough that I could reach it. I looked and saw the lens cap was still hanging. “Dumbass...” I thought aloud.

I reached up and put the lens cap on the camera so that what I was about to do, no one would see. I chuckled as I began my way to the front door. ‘Too easy’ I thought as I walked over broken glass and eyeing the cleaned pool. I saw that the once shattered window was boarded up and had plastic on it.

I reached for the door slowly looking for the clerk in the video, a very old, normal sized, man. As I opened the door and entered, I saw him putting things back up on their shelves at the end of one of the isles. The inside of the store was a simple setup, small, maybe 4 rows of isles and a refrigerated section in the back. To my right was the check register counter. As the sad looking man turned to pick something up, I saw his nametag and memories of that, snake flooded my brain. ‘I was right. Hard to imagine forgetting someone like that in just under 5 years. ’

He heard me enter and greeted me. “Evening, how are you tonight?”

“Can’t complain,” I replied, a large evil grin forming on my face. “How can I help ya?” The man asked. “You?...” I began, “Ha,…I need some chew and some information.” I said lowly.

“Really, well what kind?” he asked as he walked behind the counter. “Just Copenhagen long cut.” Then, there was a weird silence.

“Well, I can get your chew, but information… I know about as much as anyone else. Can’t help you.”

“Oh really?” I said raising an eyebrow, “Come on Richard, I know you recognize me, you’ve always been a good snake…never could keep your mouth shut. So how about it, for old times’ sake?”

“Excuse me?!”

“Oh come now, you and I both know you have always been gossip central for this town, you’re like a farmers facebook, getting all the dirt from people who come and go.”

“I..I really don’t know what you’re talking about…Andy.” He said my name with hesitation. “Maybe a few years ago, but this town has gotten much bigger then what it used to be.” I wasn’t getting anywhere, and it was starting to piss me off. ‘Now I try my way. Ill get the pig to squeal.’ I thought.

He reached up and set the can on the table that I asked for and spoke. “That’ll be Three Twenty…” was all he could get out before I punched him squared in the face, cutting him off midsentence. The connection of my fist to his face was greeted with the sweet sound of a large “CRACK!” and the blood form an exploded nose, and possibly some teeth.

He reeled back, blood pouring from his nose like a fountain, staining his shirt. “Wha…What the FUCK you crazy bastard!?” He choked out. I began laughing and my grin spread wider. “CRAZY!? HA…maybe…Then all the better to listen to what I have to say and follow directions, huh?”

“YOU MOTHER FUCKER!” he yelled as he tried to reach over the counter to hit me. His old, slow swing was easy to block. I moved his arm to the side and used his own momentum against him and pulled up onto the counter, belly up. In a swift motion before he could move I pulled my pocket knife out, unfolded it and set it to his throat.

“You know,” I began calmly, “I know Millions of ways to kill someone….Guess which Number this is?” My face was beginning to hurt from the sheer smile on my face.

“Ok…Ok..Take whatever you want, I…”He began carefully. “SHUT THE FUCK UP!!” I yelled, pressing the blade harder to his throat as I moved in closer, my mouth next to his ear. “Now, I’m going to ask a question, you have one chance. If you get it wrong or deceive me, I’ll gut you like a turkey dinner and mail your skin to your children…Got it?” He nodded slowly, tears swelling in his eyes. “But, if you get it right, and tell me the truth…no harm will come to you or your family. Think of it like a game show, and I’m the host.” I chuckled at the thought of me having a game show. “Speaking of which, how is Karol?” He didn’t answer…

“I ASKED YOU A FUCKING QUESTION.” I yelled into his ear, “…It’s impolite to ignore someone.”

“She’s good. She’s good.” He whispered out. “Good. See, now you’re getting it...”

I took a deep breath to clear my head from the funnies and began. “Well of course you know my grandfather who died…here.. Plus I saw that Kameron and his little brother Chris are in town again…my question to you is, where, are they?” He paused thinking; an eerie silence creping over… I was impatient. “I did forget to mention a time limit to answers…5…4...” I whispered as I pressed the blade harder with every passing number causing a small nick a bit of blood to appear. “…3…2..”

“OK. OK. OK…I.. uh.. last I heard was that they were back in town because of some money troubles. They tried to find a place to stay but couldn’t…rumor has it, they made a deal with the new supermarket owner and they are staying in the basement or storage.. I SWEAR THAT ALL I KNOW…please..” he replied quickly in tears, lip quivering.

I paused a moment, “You know what… I believe you; you live, for now…Congratulations, you win.” I replied, easing my grip and putting the knife away. He shot straight up and backed into the corner, fear and nervousness in his eyes so powerful I swear I could smell it… I loved it.

I grinned and put both hands on the table, “So, about that chew…”

“Here take it…it’s uhh…on the house.” He said throwing me the can, looking scared beyond belief. “Awe why thank you, you’re so generous.” I gave a wink and turned around to begin walking, I stopped when I reached the door.

“Oh and Richard.. You really should get better surveillance on this place. With all the Blind spots and that half ass camera, something could happen to you and no one would know.” I emphasized with a fake frowny face, and then began laughing hysterically. “OH, and get yourself cleaned up, you look like 10 pounds of ass stuffed in a 5 pound sack. We want to look presentable don’t we?”

“I’ll get right on that.” He said, giving me a thumbs up. I chuckled as I watched him scramble to clean up the blood from the counter and his self.

I walked out feeling good…strong. ‘I have gone crazy…haven’t I?’ I smiled at the thought and started walking back towards the hotel.

I got there fairly quickly and fished out the key in my pocket, I opened the door and quietly stepped in, as I shut the door and locked it, I face palmed. ‘I forgot to grab my fucking sleeping bag.’ I took a deep breath and yawned, not realizing how tired I actually was.

I walked next to the bed that Twilight was sleeping on and sat down on the floor next to her. I laid down and folded my arms behind my head as a pillow and gently closed my eyes. I was asleep quickly, looking forward for tomorrow and curious for what nightmare will haunt my mind tonight…

Author's Note:

Hey guys sorry it took me so long to get this one up, just been super busy between working the farm and getting meat cut up. This one is kinda long and slow, but it picks up from here i promise, im already writing the 4th chapter and i think its ganna be my favorite. like always thanks for your time, and feedback is encouraged. if you thought it was horrible and i should burn it, let me know and why, cause how else am i going to get better. Let me know what you think of this chapter. again, this is my first story...EVER!! so be gentle, haha. Im thinking of going back and editing the first 2 chapters..good idea? bad idea? let me know, and also id love to know what categories you think this would fall under cuz. i just dont know.. If you see any errors that need correcting let me know, thanks. and Thanks again for your time. and as always, stay frosty.