• Published 29th Aug 2011
  • 16,355 Views, 176 Comments

Lost Soul of The Uchiha - BronyOfSteel



Itachi Uchiha ends up in Equestria rather than dying, an epic battle with an ancient enemy ensues.

  • ...
32
 176
 16,355

Chapter 9

Itachi awoke the next morning exactly where he had fallen asleep in Luna's arms the night before. He noticed there was something incredibly soft and velvety on his chest and looked down to see that Luna had draped a wing over him to keep him warm during the night. He lay there just enjoying the warmth of the sun and the presence of the alicorn next to him; he had never felt quite so happy with his situation in life. He then looked up and saw the white ruler of the sun making her way over to the two.

He shook Luna gently to wake her, the younger princess' head rose lazily from its position on his shoulder. "Good morning." He said smiling as she groggily blinked her way back to consciousness.

"Good morning to you too." She responded as she nuzzled him again. She then noticed her sister standing not ten feet away watching them with a look of great amusement dominating her face. "C-Celestia! What are you doing here!" She shouted in a panic standing up quickly as she ever had. "It's not- We were just- I-I mean…" Luna stammered out, incredibly flustered by this whole thing.

Celestia just kept smiling as she walked over to her sibling and nuzzled her affectionately. "I don't see why you're getting so worked up Luna, if anything I'm happy for you. You've finally found somepony whom you truly and deeply care about, it's nothing to be ashamed of." She then put one hoof on her shoulder as she looked directly into her eyes. "I can tell he cares for you just as much Luna, what you two share is a special connection there's no reason to hide it."

"…Thank you Tia." Luna said quietly as a smile appeared on her face to match her sister's.

The two ponies then looked over to Itachi who had been observing them with a grin the whole time. "Well, it doesn't seem like there's all that much for me to add. But I am kind of curious, just how did you find us? I thought I made sure to hide my presence this time."

The elder sister just kept smiling "I know all the best places to go stargazing around Canterlot, I've been here a little longer than you have." She turned back to her sister, "Luna, I'm terribly sorry, but unfortunately I need you to help me get the final preparations for the Gala finished. Our absence yesterday seems to have caused quite a bit of chaos and we both know you're the best organizer in all of Equestria."

"What? But I was going to…" Luna's voice trailed off as she frowned; admittedly she had completely forgotten about the Gala up until that moment.

"It's ok Luna." Itachi said as he pulled on his coat. "I have my own duties to take care of. You're a princess after all, I can't keep you to myself and you have your obligations"

Luna still looked slightly crestfallen, she had been expecting to spend the day with him. Not helping set up a party she didn't even want to go to. "Well ok then…" she said biting her lower lip nervously "Will I get to see you tonight?"

Itachi smiled as he walked up to her and gave her a hug, "Of course you will, I wouldn't miss spending a night with you for the world."

Upon hearing this Luna hugged Itachi even tighter. She didn't want the embrace to end but she knew it had to. She then released him and turned to her sister flaring her wings for flight. "Let's get going Celestia, I want to get this finished quickly." With that the princess of the night took off for the castle, her elder sibling close behind.

Itachi watched the two alicorns fly until he could see them no more. There was an inherent elegance in every movement they made that kept him from tearing his eyes away. He kept staring off towards the castle lost in thought until he remembered he had a job to do. Now where the hell did I put that scroll? He thought to himself as he began to check his pockets.


Luna approached the lone occupied table in the royal library several hours later. According to the guards Itachi had been in here all day by himself. As she approached him she noticed that he had moved two tables together and spread over their surface was an incredibly long scroll. As she walked up behind the shinobi she glimpsed the intricate designs and runes drawn onto the surface. Itachi's eyes continued to move over the writing, checking the complex formulae he had scrawled upon it, his brow furrowed in concentration.

"So, what's this?" Luna finally asked after standing behind him for about twenty seconds.

Itachi was startled; he hadn't even noticed her until she had spoken. He should have sensed her coming long before she had gotten close to him. Actually, now that he wasn't concentrating so much on the task in front of him he noticed her chakra easily. Itachi then smiled inwardly as he realized what he had done, of course he had sensed her but he was so used to her presence he hadn't even bothered with a second thought. "Oh, this? This is a jutsu formula, a framework for complex techniques. This is easily the hardest one I've ever constructed; unfortunately there are still quite a few kinks I need to work out."

Luna just looked over the scroll with an expression of awe, the level of detail Itachi could achieve never ceased to amaze her. "Wow… so what's it for?"

"It's an advanced sensory technique that should allow us to determine when Nightmare will return. But," He said rolling up the scroll and turning around to look at her." Like I said it's not quite ready yet. So how was organizing preparations for the gala?"

Luna sat down next to the shinobi and leaned up against him. "Ugh, it was horrible, we leave for one day and everything falls apart. It doesn't help that the gala's in a week. I don't know why I helped to get it ready, I hate going to them. Even before the whole Nightmare Moon thing everypony always regarded me as a kind of outcast, I didn't even go to the one last year because I was so afraid of what the ponies would think." As she spoke she lowered her head as if trying to hide from the world. Itachi put his arm around her and hugged her tightly, reminding Luna that she wasn't alone. After a while Luna spoke up again. "Hey, Itachi?"

"Yeah?"

Her voice practically shook with nervousness "I know this is last minute and all but…. Would you come with me to the gala?" As she said the last few words she looked up at him hopefully.

"Of course." He responded smiling as her face practically lit up. "Though I heard the guest list has been booked solid for months, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a ticket..."

"Well good thing I have some pull with the royal family." Luna smirked.

"Indeed." He laughed. "So you're done with your royal duties for now?"

Luna nodded "Actually, I'm finished for the next two days, a favor from Celly for helping get everything done so quickly." She then grabbed Itachi by the shoulder and pulled him away to the exit. "We've got the whole night to ourselves so let's get going!"


Luna raised the moon into the sky once more, feeling the magic flow through her. She couldn't say why but these last few weeks raising the moon and bringing in the night was easier than ever. As she landed next to Itachi she noticed he was looking at her with a great compassion, "You know… I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching that. It's always an amazing sight."

"Thanks." Luna said sheepishly, she wasn't used to such praise. Her sister was much better suited to that.

"So what is this place?" Itachi asked as he looked around the area Luna had brought him to. It was a serene lake surrounded by a forest bordered by mountains. He had never seen a place like this in the world.

Luna looked out over the water. "This is one of my favorite places in all of Equestria. I used to spend a lot of time here, back before the whole Nightmare Moon incident. I've never shown this to anyone before, not even Celestia. Of course I didn't really have anypony to show it to back then. But," She said looking at the ninja."Now I have you to share it with. So, what do you think?"

"I think it's beautiful. But why didn't you have anyone to share it with? A pony like you must've had someone."

Luna looked away from Itachi; she didn't want to talk about how she had felt back then. Even a thousand years later the shame of her actions still hung over her. "Surely somepony's told you about what happened all those years ago."

Itachi walked over and sat down next to her,"I've found that hearing the story from others is never as good as hearing it firsthand." He indicated that he wanted her to sit next to him on the cool grass. When she hesitated he smiled up at her. "Luna there is NOTHING you could've done that would ever make me care for you any less. You were the first person to ever forgive me for my actions in the past. I owe you so much, the least I can do is help you deal with your past, and it's obvious that it's been eating at you but you never let anyone else in. I was the same way before I came here, until you entered my mind and forgave me. So please, talk to me, you mean too much to me for me to just sit here and watch you suffer like this."

After a few more seconds Luna finally sat down next to him, still avoiding his eyes, and began speaking in a quiet voice. She talked for what seemed forever, she spoke of her night how she had put so much effort into creating it and the pride she held for her creation. She talked of the jealousy and hurt she had felt when the ponies shunned her work for her sister's day. How nopony would be friends with her because they were always sleeping. The longer she talked the greater the volume of her voice became until she finally had the confidence to look at Itachi. His eyes were filled with nothing but kindness and sympathy for her. It was at this exact moment that Luna then threw her forehooves around Itachi, holding him so tightly as though should she let up on her effort he would slip away.

Itachi just held her for a good long while, knowing she needed the release as tears began to pour down her face. One thousand years of regret, sorrow, and shame were finally being let out from the container she had locked them away in. Deep within him he could feel his fury at Nightmare build to a fever pitch for what it had done to her. However, Itachi knew better than to let it color his demeanor now, he would save it for when the time was right, and god help Nightmare when that time came.

As he sat there comforting the princess of the night he heard something slightly louder than a whisper from the pony whose face was buried in his chest. "Please…. Don't ever leave me…"

He lowered his head as he whispered back "I'll never leave you Luna, I promise."

She looked up at him, her eyes still filled with tears, but these were no longer tears of shame and regret, they were tears of joy. Luna didn't know what had dictated fate to bring Itachi to her world, all she knew was that from the bottom of her soul she was eternally grateful for him being here. Before any rational thought could enter her mind she acted completely without thinking and gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

Itachi's expression changed to one of surprise and Luna was pretty sure her own face wore one of total shock at what she had just done. She feared the worst and was about to start apologizing when Itachi's expression shifted once again to a warm smile. She smiled back, burying her face once more in his shoulder.

It was here on the shore of the lake where she had spent so much time doubting herself that Luna, Equestrian Princess of the night, finally found solace for her past in a soul whose scars ran just as deep.


The next day Itachi stood in Celestia's throne room once again, trying to pass the time while he waited for Luna to arrive with the elements of harmony. He turned as he heard voices coming up the hallway towards the room and in walked the eight ponies he had requested meet him here.

"Hey there Itachi!" Pinkie Pie practically shouted as she bounced right up to him "We haven't seen you in forever, where have you been this whole time?"

"I was busy working on something."

"On what?" Dash asked, her eyebrow cocked.

"On this." Itachi said as he pulled out the scroll he had been working on nearly non-stop for the last couple of days. He had been burning the candle at both ends and the middle trying to get this finished, the encounter with Shisui had given him a new incentive to get this done. He didn't want to ever be caught off guard like that again. "You guys might want to sit down for this."

The two alicorn sisters took their places on the throne while the six elements arranged themselves in a semi circle around the ninja.

"So you've been working for two days on a scroll?" Dash asked with a sarcasm that could only be detected if one knew her well enough.

Twilight gave her a look and then turned back to Itachi. "So what's so important about this scroll of yours?"

"You'll see." Itachi smiled as he threw the scroll up into the air as he released the seal upon it. Upon the release of the seal the scroll unraveled to its full length of thirty feet, every inch of the parchment that composed it was covered in crimson symbols. It floated slowly to the ground where an air of mystique hung over it. "What you see before you is a jutsu formula, a blueprint if you will. Its purpose is to shape techniques that are too complex or time consuming to form simply through hand seals." Everypony in the room with the exception of Luna who had seen it already was staring curiously at the scroll. "This formula is for a combination of space-time and sensory ninjutsu, incorporating the equivalent of over eight hundred and fifty seals."

"And we're supposed to understand any of that?" Applejack asked incredulously.

"No, not really I just wanted you to know how difficult it was. It'll pick up any significant amount of chakra easily."

"And we're here because…?" Dash asked her annoyance rising.

"You'll see in a moment." Itachi knelt down in front of the center of the scroll. "Now let's get this started."

Itachi closed his eyes and concentrated; channeling his chakra he formed a single seal with his right hand and then slammed it onto the center of the scroll. The blue glow of chakra suffused his hand and then spread through the rest of the formula shaping and channeling itself as the writing of blood dictated. Itachi could sense the chakra of every single individual within two hundred miles of his position with such clarity it was as if he was standing next to them. However, he knew this wasn't enough and began to pour more chakra into the technique increasing the range and perception of the jutsu. He felt as it expanded into the void between worlds, and it was here that he began to sense a chaotic, powerful force the same one he had sensed when fighting Shisui. Itachi began to delve into it trying to make sense of just what it was when he felt another presence. In his mind's eye he could see a demonic, insane visage form before him, the purest hate that composed its eyes boring into Itachi's soul. A thousand claws of darkness reached for him threatening to tear him apart with the sheer malice that composed them. Itachi struggled to escape from their grip just barely managing to break away, as he did so the visage opened its mouth letting a scream of pure rage come forth. With that Itachi was hurled from the void, his consciousness returning to his body once more.

Itachi's vision returned, as he stared at the blank scroll before him, his eyes wide and bloodshot. His heart hammered against his chest and he felt as if he had just climbed eight mountains without rest. Luna was already at his side supporting him as his body continued to shake. Every pony in the room was around him looking at Itachi with great concern etched upon their faces. He heard Luna's voice calling to him as if from a great distance, "Itachi! ITACHI!"

He blinked as he struggled to bring his body back under control. Finally managing to curb his rapidly beating heart and re asserting control over his shaking limbs he finally spoke. "I-I'm ok Luna."

He stood, letting her help him to his feet as she asked, "Just what happened? You were fine for about ten seconds and then all of a sudden your eyes shot open and you started shaking uncontrollably."

"I encountered Nightmare, or at least its fragments." Itachi was mentally berating himself for being so stupid; he had allowed the technique to interact with his chakra too closely. As a result it had allowed Nightmare to nearly rip his consciousness from his body.

"And?"

"Let's just say it wasn't too thrilled to see me." He said as he finally managed to regain his composure. He didn't want Luna to know just how close of a call it had been as she'd just worry about him even more than she already did and he didn't want to put her under any more stress than she already had.

Celestia strode forward her demeanor serious. "Did you discover what you intended to find?

He looked directly at Celestia, "It will return soon, I give it three days, maybe four before it's recomposed fully enough to re-enter this world."

"That soon…"

The elements just looked confused. "Princess Celestia, just what is going on?" Twilight asked.

The princess of the sun sighed. "I'll explain it to you in just a second." She turned to Itachi. "However you obviously need to recover from whatever happened. We will begin our preparations for its return tomorrow, in the meantime…. Luna?"

"Yes?"

"Could you take care of him for us?"

Luna smiled, "Of course sister."


Itachi allowed Luna to practically carry him down to the kitchen where she then ordered the royal cooks to prepare him some food. He wasn't really paying attention to what was going on as the reality of the situation had just hit him like wrecking ball. The same thought just kept repeating throughout his mind, would it be enough? He kept asking himself that question, unable to find an answer until he looked up at Luna once more. In her eyes he saw a determination that he was innately familiar with, the determination to protect that which one held dear. He knew then that together their resolve would give them the strength to stand against the coming darkness and to protect this land from the Nightmare that had come to consume it.