• Published 11th Oct 2013
  • 747 Views, 22 Comments

Being of Two Minds - cosmofur



Red Wood was just a simple wood working crafts pony. But his simple life came to an end, when he died and was brought back to life, sharing his body with an alien from a different universe.

  • ...
13
 22
 747

Good Night Gracy

The sun was low in the sky in the late afternoon when Red Wood finally let himself be led by the two guards from the hospital to his home. As he passed under the shadow of the castle, Red Wood glanced up at the tower above him. He couldn’t see from this angle if Princess Celestia was on her balcony lowering the sun, but he guessed she was. Across the castle on the opposite tower he could see the tiny figure of Princess Luna looking towards Celestia’s tower and awaiting her turn to raise the moon. There had been a time when to catch a glimpse of any princess would have set his heart thumping faster and fill him with wonder. Now he just looked up at the magic princesses as a way check the time, like their great magic feat was some sort of public clock tower.

He really was horrible tired, the day had been way too long, and he needed to husband his strength for the coming days was going to be critical to the Stone Heart and he had his role to play. He had stayed with Gentle Breeze as long as he could, the plan allowed him that small comfort. He feared for her, concerned about the torture the evil ones were going to soon subject her to, all in the false name of curing her of course. But at the end of the day, doctors had arrived to take measurements and do tests, the treatment, the torture, would start early tomorrow morning, and Red Wood knew he needed to be there for her. To give Gentle Breeze the strength to fight it. But he also had other duties.

Red Wood wished there was a way he could go over his instructions again, the Cult elder had only a few hours to explain the plan to him and the guards before they had to evacuate the town. The turned guards were now all together, able to work and talk openly amongst themselves, reinforce and comfort each other, but Red Wood’s role required him to be on the outside, alone.

He looked over his shoulder at the two guards with him. They weren’t part of the plan, at least not yet. Red Wood expected that once they dropped him off at the shop, they would head back to their barracks for a surprise. Red Wood grinned in anticipation, tomorrow he could talk to them openly, but not now. Still there there was one pony he could talk to, once he was alone, problem was that pony still refused to open his eyes to the truth of the Stone Heart. Red Wood frowned, not really looking forward to that conversation, he could put it off for a little while longer, but not forever.

When they arrived at Red Wood’s home slash workshop slash Alien Embassy, Spring Chaser and Solid Star nodded to Red Wood politely as he let himself in. To Red Wood’s surprise, rather than returning to the castle, they stood on either side of the doorway and took up what appeared to be unmovable guard positions.

Confused Red Wood asked, “You two aren’t returning to the castle?”

Solid Star shook his head, “No Princess Celestia instructed us to guard your home tonight.”

“But you have to be as exhausted as I am! Wouldn’t it make more sense to go back to your barracks to rest and send some fresh guards to replace you?”

Spring Kicker gave Solid Star a glance, secretly in agreement with Red Wood, but not willing to show weakness to the elder guard. The droop of his eyes was not missed by Solid. “Normally I’d agree with you, but with the excitement the Princess overlooked that option. It’s not our place to go against orders, but if you be so kind as to allow one of us quarter, we can secure your residence in shifts.”

Red Wood took a second to realize Sold Star was asking if one of them could sleep inside while the other stood watch, he was in fact included to refuse, but that would had been suspicious. So putting on a painted smile, he nodded, “Of course, come in, we’ll see what’s in the ice box.” He hadn't expected to have to feed and board the guards, but he wasn't going to refused a friendly request.

Soon the three stallions were sitting on a couch in the clock shop’s visitor's area which was the homes only real sitting room, drinking some lite White Tail Cider. Red Wood had some stronger stuff in the cellar but he wanted to keep his head clear, afraid to let his tongue might get too lose if he wasn't cautious.

Solid Star seemed cautious with even this lite drink, only slowly sipping on half a bottle, while Spring was a thirsty pony, quickly went though most of the ten pack they shared. Red Wood tried to keep the conversation away from himself and listened with great interest about the guards story about their flight with Princess Twilight. Knowing he couldn't be suspiciously quiet, Red Wood ended up having to retell the story of his capture again. He hoped he hadn't gotten any details wrong from his first telling of the mostly made up story since he knew they had heard it before. Spring seemed satisfied, but Red Wood distinctly felt that Solid Star was giving him a disbelieving glance from the side of his eyes.

Finally enough time had passed that he could politely remind the guards for his need of sleep. Solid Star excused himself and stood outside to take first watch, while Red Wood got blankets and a spare pillow for Spring, who slept on the couch.

Even before Red Wood could excuse himself to his bedroom, Spring Kicker had slid under the blankets and was instantly asleep. Red Wood paused in slight shock at how quickly the guard had fallen asleep. He stopped to look at the younger guard considering.

It wasn't part of the plan for Red Wood to 'open' any ponies eyes on his own. He didn't even have any of the silver pills, the Stone Heart Blessings as they called it. He wondered if he had any of those pills would he be expected to convert the guard? Clearly these guards had shared hardships with Princess Twilight and could be useful if the Cult needed to awaken the younger princess. Should he sneak out? Go to the barracks himself, and retrieve some of the Blessings so he could convert these two guards tonight? Could he really do that? on his own?

Red Wood watched the younger guard asleep, in his mind he imagined sliding the silver pill between the guards sleeping lips, watching the pill dissolve and then as the magic of the Blessing filled Springs mind, Red Wood would need to lay on the guards body, hold him down, keep him from escaping, then Red Wood would have to show him the pleasure, the joy, of the Stone Heart. Red Wood imagined the guard squirming, trying to fight it at first, perhaps Red Wood would resort to using his magic to hold him, but only at first. The lessons would start to take effect, Spring's eyes would open wide, his breathing would start to come in gasps. He would stop fighting and give into the special feelings and start to take part finding the joy in the moment.

A small part of Red Wood’s mind seemed to stand aside and wonder, ‘where did these thoughts come from? He had never felt attraction to stallions before, and if he was going to be honest with himself, it wasn't anything physical about the guard that was making him fantasize. It was sense of righteousness, control, and power that made it seem worth the risk.

In his mind’s eye Red Wood saw all this, he starting smiling a wolfish grin. How hard would it be to sneak out and get the pills?

No! Stop this!

Red Wood frowned, the words floated in his vision, red and flashing and far far clearer than any previous message had ever been.

“You’re still there Parker?” Red Wood whispered, “I thought you were hiding.”

I can sense your thoughts Red Wood, the barrier thinner than it used to be, these ideas in your head, they're not really yours. THIS EVIL IS NOT YOU.

Red Wood left the sitting room and quietly moved to his own bedroom and closed the door before responding. He didn't want to risk Solid Star hearing him ‘talk to himself’

“Come on Parker, Evil?” Red Wood tisked, “Really you said your folk were an advanced race, certainly what two stallions do…”

THAT’S NOT WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT AND YOU KNOW IT.” the letters in Red Wood’s vision burned a bright red.

“Calm yourself Parker,” Red Wood replied quietly, “I’m the only one you can talk to, and shouting will not help you. Besides I can’t risk the plan by sneaking out tonight, as much as it pains me, our friends Spring Kicker and Solid Star, will remain ignorant tonight.”

Pains you? You were practically drooling over Spring, if it’s sex you want, your wife’s in the hospital, I’m sure the Doctors would turn a blind eye if you are that desperate.

“Yes it does pain me. Because I’m concerned for their well being, and it has nothing to do with sex as you so crudely put it. You see, because I can’t risk educating them tonight, then their continuing good health will depend on if the other guards, all of whom are right this minute being taught the lessons of the Stone Heart. With the busy schedule we plan for tomorrow, I doubt that there will be time to educate stranglers. The guards leaders may well decided that it be more expedient to imprison or even eliminate any guards who have not embraced the Stone Heart by morning. By not showing the guards the truth, I’m endangering their lives.”

There was a delay as Parker must have been calming himself down, and in lighter neater letters, he wrote. “Truth? What truth do you think your drugs can teach that guard?

Red Wood raised an eyebrow as if their conversation was happening face to face, rather than just in his mind. “The truth about the pegasus poison effect on pony society.”

What? How do you even believe that? What do you have against pegasi?” Parker wrote confused.

“They destroyed Coltsdale, they kidnapped my wife, they hurt or killed everyone I ever knew.” Red Wood said this is a dead voice.

But you know that’s not true!” Parker wrote back in shock, “You were there! The Cult did all that!

“Don’t lie to me Parker.” Red Wood replied coldly, “My memory is perfectly sharp. I can see those flying freaks. Blood dripping from their wings. They destroyed everything,the Stone Heart saved me. They saved my wife.”

Red Wood Listen to me! Your memory, it’s been altered, that’s not how it happened. The only true pegasi at Coltsdale was Rainbow Dash, and she saved you! Don’t you remember.”

Red Wood ignored Parker’s plea and replied, “Another thing the Stone Heart can do for Equestria is help the princess!”

Parker was taken off guard by the sudden change in subject, “What?

Red Wood dreamily answered, “Yes, princesses, especially Celestia and Luna, have vital skills that all Ponies need, but they have taken on too large a burden. They should concentrate only on their special talents, raising and lowering the celestial bodies. But not governing ponies, that should be taken off their hooves. They will be much happier when they join the Stone Heart, they can then concentrate on making the most beautiful skies and wonderful weather, while the Stone Heart elders can take on the burden of leading the ponies. They will be so grateful for this break.”

Parker sneered at this flat power grab, “Oh really, happier? Surprised you want them in your club, with their wings and all, aren’t they too much like pegasus for your taste?

“Oh don’t get me wrong, not all pegasus are evil, they are just misguided, once enough of them have been culled to learn their proper place, they’ll be welcomed into the Stone Heart. Of course they will need to accept some changes. A few quick swings with an axe will take care of that. Then they will be so much happier with their fellow earth ponies, basking in the joy of the Stone Heart.”

Parker was speechless, his hooves slid over the magic mirror in their head, leaving just blurry lines as his only response to Red Wood’s callous comment.

Red Wood lay down on his bed, and pulled over one of the potion bottles. “Enough talk now Parker, I’m afraid I have an early day tomorrow, so good night. I’d wish you pleasant dreams but I’m afraid it’s going to have to be a dreamless one. Can’t risk us switching places in the morning.”

Parker desperately wrote “Wait! You really think that crazy plan the mad old cultist told you has a chance! Stop it Red Wood, you're’ just going to get a lot of ponies hurt!

Red Wood didn't reply he just sipped from the potion bottle, having just enough time to put the half filled bottle down on his night table before sleepless darkness overtook both him and Parker.