• ...
9
 42
 2,034

groom at the altar

He was trying his best to not look like he wanted to fly away as fast as his wings could take him.

It was actually really hard, standing there, looking ahead, hoping that whoever came through that door wouldn't be a nightmare or worse, bridezilla .

Looking around he saw his close friends all waiting alongside him. At his side was his closest friend, closer than his own brother, and his best mare, Spitfire. He had known her all his life, and trusted her more than anypony else. Beside her was his brother, Wave Chill, followed by the twins Fire and Lightning Streak and spitfire’s brother Rapidfire in the middle, and Surprise and Fleetfoot at the end.

"Don't worry Soar," Spitfire forced a smile, attempting to make it look like she was happy for him. It was hard. And it very clearly looked forced. "Everything will be alright." It was hard to tell if she was trying to convince him or herself that that was the truth.

Really, the only people who were semi-happy besides his family were Night streak and Lavender. Both of them waved from where they were sitting together. They had been together since they were his age and were happy, both coming from the same situation that he was in, the arranged marriage thing.

He hadn't been upset really with the idea of an arranged marriage, more so he was scared of the idea that she wouldn't like him. All he knew about her is his grandfather’s mutterings of “a free spirit” and that was the nicest thing he said. Apparently she was supposed to be beautiful but he wanted someone he could fall in love with. He didn't want some doll who wanted to sit around and be pretty; he wanted someone to actually love. When his grandfather said the words “free spirit’ it gave him a little hope as to being able to fall in love with her.

He had argued for years that he should be able to meet the mare he was promised to, to at least give her some warning as to who he was and so he could make the relationship start before they were forced to marry, but it was always no. He was always told to wait until the day of his marriage and about how it was supposed to make it all the more special by doing so.

Soarin was hoping for a mare that was like the one he had that crush on. Or at least one he could have a real life with, like night streak and lavender. They had been the lucky ones, love at first sight, they always were together and happy. It never seemed as if they had a fight and they just seemed perfect for each other. It was almost too good to be true.

He thought of his dream mare, who he had met only three times, and while each time ended with some sort of near disaster it made him happy to see her. They never had a real conversation but he had fallen for her as soon as he saw her. But now he would never have the chance to tell her his feelings.

Spitfire elbowed him as there was a sudden creak at the door and slow song started to play, three small fillies spread rose petals along the long carpet leading up to the altar. Each was of a different race of pony. A small unicorn, a short earth pony who made up in size with the giant bow atop her head, and an even smaller Pegasus.

The little Pegasus clearly wasn’t a good flier, and after teaching flying at camps for years he could see it in her wings. By not flying at the younger ages, pegasi such as her would develop ‘magic stunt’. The technical term was magical spasm. The pegasi magic that helped her be able to fly would build up at the bases of her wings, making them weak and slower than they should be with the magic having no place to go, also making them prone to constant flittering-

‘Look at me’ He thought. ‘My own wedding and I’m thinking like a flight instructor.'
It was now the bridesmaids who walked down the aisle with purpose, yet they seemed deflated. It was clear enough that they were the friends of the bride; the ones who he heard had tried to use laws and magical authority to get the bride out of the marriage to no avail.

The last bridesmaid to exit the doors, Princess Twilight Sparkle, looked at him in surprise, and began whispering among her fellow bridesmaids. They seemed surprised at the fact he was there, standing at the altar, awaiting the mystery mare’s appearance. They seemed like a good group of mares, but their grouping was odd. How could there be such a close looking relationship between a farm mare, a fashionista, a book learned princess, a super shy mare, and a bubbly mare who was seeming to have a pantomimed conversation between herself and Surprise. The one thing that would make this group complete as a hodge-podge of misfits would be a tom-colt mare.

Shortly after the whispers began within the crows at the appearance of the group of bridesmaids, a chorus of birds began to sing. It was nice, but the song didn't sound right. It wasn't so much a song of a happy bride to be walking down the aisle but...sad. Solemn. Empty. A song you would expect when you thought of a sad movie. Too sad for a wedding, maybe one for background music of someone in a show making a grand sacrifice for another.

All too slowly the doors swung open to reveal a bride, hidden behind a veil. Even without seeing her face Soarin felt as if he had already fallen for her. He knew if he said it aloud it would be sexist and Spits would probably hit him but she was a knockout. Gorgeous. Probably the most beautiful mare he almost knew. Only if he knew who she was.

She began the slow walk down the aisle.

Author's Note:

chapter two, well this was hard. next chapter will come in a few days, also right now if anyone hasn't been able to tell by reading, you can tell what ship you're climbing aboard for this story so if you ain't into this ship get off before we finish heading out.
sorry about that ship pun, i could not help myself :0)
hope you guys like it.