• Published 27th Oct 2013
  • 2,282 Views, 40 Comments

Moonlight - Ocean Heart



The Princess of the Night. A title that carries respect, prestige and yet...loneliness. Princess Luna can't help but feel unimportant but perhaps there is somepony that enjoys the night as much as she does...

  • ...
3
 40
 2,282

Yet Who Still Dreams of Thee

A bird flew into the open window and fluttered around the sleeping form under the covers, singing happily and dancing in the air before settling down on the oak backboard of the bed, tilting its head curiously until a loud yawn scares the bird into a panicked flight back outside.

It was nearly midday when Acrylic Evenfall woke up in his bed, the canvas from last night drying in his Still Room. Acrylic was proud of his home, two stories made completely of the trees that surrounded him, books lined shelves in his room on the second floor and the bright afternoon sunlight shone though the window by his bed. Evenfall didn't bother fixing his mane in any style, letting it look more like a spiky mess that draped to the side of his neck than the well trimmed look he had in his youth.

Sliding off the bed and kicking aside a discarded coffee cup on the ground; the birds sung in the air and a soft wind blew a few leaves in the window. It wasn't impressive, clean or extravagant...but it was his home, and in his mind, that was just what it needed to be. Acrylic ignored the ever growing mess and walked downstairs, looking around to make sure everything was still in place and checking the door on the far side of the room to make sure it was locked. The drying room was something he never liked entering unless he had to, lest he find something amiss in a still drying painting and ruin it with his compulsive nature...

Picking up a small bag on the stand by the door and slinging it over his back, he turned around and bucked the door open to tear though and let the door shut on its own as he ran though the forest. It was all a green blur as he ran, the cool wind blowing his mane back; skipping over roots and hopping ditches until he broke free into the open air overlooking a small settlement.

"One must wonder just what song thee rang in the night sky, perhaps tis a verse of opera..."

Walking calmly down the hill and heart set on finding that song so he could have a lead on who the voice belonged to. It sounded too somber to be typical music for this age of peace. The settlement was busy with happy life, loud vendors and..interesting smells. Acrylics nose hit the air and the heavenly smell of sweet rolls broke though the dirt and grime. Following his stomach rather than his mission he worked his way to a small wagon set up as a bakery, fresh sweet rolls and loafs of bread sat out on a counter with a bright eyed filly standing behind it; he let out a quick laugh and stepped up to the wood shelf.

"Morning, sir, My maw just made these, they're really good!"

Sure enough a older looking mare came out of the wagon with a tray, setting it down to take up the last spot on the counter and smiling brightly.

"Little ones right, fresh out the oven and the best in the west."

The mares vernacular was indeed from a pony that lived far west, not like what he was used to but it was definitely friendly..and the smell of the food was making his mouth water.

" Are thou feeling alright, sir?"

"Absolutely! How much are a dozen of the rolls?"

The filly snickered and the mare walked back in the cart while and answering back.

"Twelve bits, ye from Canterlot, sir?"

Acrylic raised a questing brow...

"Yes...is it that obvious?"

The mare walked back out with a box of sweet smelling rolls, his eyes locked on to it and he reached into his bag to fish out the bits.

"Thee might not be as snooty but I can hear it in thine voice." The mare said in a friendly and a little humors manner.

Acrylic suddenly remembered his goal and put the bits on the counter, the filly took them eagerly and stuffed them in a pouch. The sweet rolls tempted to take his attention again but he did his best to ignore the arguments of his stomach.

"I don't suppose ye have been to Canterlot recently?"

"About a month ago, why?"

Acrylic thought about how to ask, going off of one sentence in a whole song was near impossible if you don't know just where to look. Even then it might come down to a trip back to the great city of Canterlot and finding a composer to answer his burning question.

"Did thee visit a concert hall, I need help remembering an old song..."

The filly piped up on that one, she jumped back and forth eager to help.

"Me, I did! I snuck into this place that played lots of music!"

The mare rolled her eyes and the filly remembered that technicality a few rules might have been broken...

Luck just might be on my side.

"They uh...well what kinda song do ye need to find?"

"Doth thou remember the words 'is my love to show me how to truly live.' do thee?"

The mare sighed wistfully, no doubt the words recalled memories while the filly just looked confused. The mare patted her foal on the head and laughed a little, Acrylic felt his heart drop but it was not completely unexpected.

"No my dear, I don't think we're familiar with that one."

Acrylic nodded in thanks and picked up the box, storing it in his pouch haphazardly. The town was no help in his search the rest of the afternoon, he searched high and low for anypony with information but it was to no avail. There simply wasn't enough to go off of and all his effort earned him was a new set of paints to replace the ones from last night and a box full of rolls.

The sun blazed high in the sky and it was well into the afternoon when Acrylic gave up the search; returning defeated back home and forgetting about the box in his bag, he just tosses it on the table and ascends the stairs slowly.

"I guess my answers lie in Canterlot...still..."

Acrylic slumped on the bed and let out a long sigh; Canterlot was his home for most of his childhood, the tall towers and wealthy estates made him feel like an outsider at all times. Poor orphan colt stuck in the grand city with no place to call home, he was lucky to finally make it out and earn enough bits to live far way from the mess of the illustrious city. The soft breeze helped calm his mind and soon the sheet hung to the side of the window was pulled loose by a small flick of his dark green magic; blanketing the room in darkness and allowing him a rather peaceful sleep. Acrylic worked out a plan in his head, first thing in the morning he would board a train and meet up with an old friend for tea and hopefully the contact in Canterlot would have more information...

"I will find thee, milady...somehow..."


_ _



Luna looked up at the night for what felt like hours, the dark shadows and dull moonlight cast somber shadows in the dim room. Fireflies floated down below tonight and Luna occasionally took her attention off the sky to stare at the dancing lights below; it was another long night and thankfully it was almost over.

"Five more hours..."

Luna sighed quietly and started thinking about the knight again...how his greatest challenge was facing the dragon and yet part of the challenge was bitter defeat, forcing the hero to strengthen his resolve and perhaps even...A song suddenly snapped the princess out of her thought,it was a deep echo into the night sky...

"No...that is not right..."

The song was from a dream; it was quiet but it somehow called out to her. Luna stood up and closed her eyes, focusing on the voice and letting her mind meld with the night sky, feeling non existent until a lush forest surrounded her. The night moon lit up a wide clearing and more lightning bugs floated gently in the air; a pony casted in far to much shadow was humming into the air...It was excitement for the first time in ages and impatience was winning slowly over her demure nature.

It was bad luck that the song was over when Luna arrived but she was certain this was the right dream. Soon the pony in the shadows was joined by a figured wrapped in mist; the figure was cloaked but defining details like wings stood out under the dense shadowy cloak. Acrylic reached for the hood of the cloak but when he touched it the figure faded into mist around his hoof; a single tear hitting the ground as a haunting voice froze the princess where she stood. The figure looked up to the sky, body erupting in fireflies from the hooves and traveling up the cloak, lighting up the dark meadow.

"Is for my love to show me....how to truly live..."

It was the song from yesterday, not only was somepony calling on the princess of the night..it was an admirer. Every day her sister had to deal overzealous stallions and far too confident romancers but Luna was left in the shadow of fear and distance. Luna waited a bit longer but the pony simply gazed at the impossibly beautiful moon hanging in the sky between the clouds and the stars; the dream faded around her and within moments the cool air and gentle breeze of her balcony filled her world.

Luna's breathing was soft and it echoed in the silent night, her heart was racing with a curious excitement. For the first time in far too long a genuine smile was stuck on her face, getting up slowly because of her stiff legs and walking back inside; the doors close behind her. The night had a few hours remaining and Luna brought down the red covered book off her bed, still smiling when she opened back into the fictional world. The knight was training against monsters of many sizes and shapes, thinking of the dragon building is hoard of treasure and leaving ash in its wake...it was a challenge of his valor and strength but Luna knew he was up to the task...somehow he would have a happy end.