• Published 27th Oct 2013
  • 2,277 Views, 40 Comments

Moonlight - Ocean Heart



The Princess of the Night. A title that carries respect, prestige and yet...loneliness. Princess Luna can't help but feel unimportant but perhaps there is somepony that enjoys the night as much as she does...

  • ...
3
 40
 2,277

Is the Dusk Coming?

"Ha....Doth thou know what is strange...?"

"No?"

"The solar eclipse is coming soon...the first one since the fall of chaos..."

"What does that mean...?"

"It means...for a few hours, Night will control the heaven and the earth. Mother always did the eclipses for us...she said it was dangerous......"

"I can't imagine how, its just the sun and moon crossing, right?"





"....Right."

Acrylic Evenfall fell asleep after some time, his nose still hurt and his face had a nasty bruise...the pain but a pin prick compared to what his heart was feeling. The bitter agony had settled to a melancholia, Luna was laying across from her lover on a grassy hilltop under a moonlit sky, the dark clouds drifting lazily in the air and stars shining down on them with a flickering light. Acrylic turned his head, just to gaze at the reflections of the stars in the princess's eyes, the teal glow shinning, shimmering wonder that made Acrylic's heart feel just a tad better...

"Is it paradoxical to fall asleep in a dream?" Acrylic asked with a chuckle.

Luna shook her head and laughed...

"Thou knows the dreams...where it is simply a blank expanse, and you just wake up without dreaming?"

Acrylic let a guffaw escape him at the realization.

"I never knew what that was..." He said quietly.

Luna looked over, Acrylic was already back to star gazing. They both knew that the dream would be over soon...Acrylic would wake up on a bench with his bag clutched and Luna would take her place by Celestia. It was a gut feeling that the wedding was going to take time...as much as a storybook romance would teach, Luna could never just sneak away without getting noticed. When was the question...when and how could she get away. The thought of a wedding in the dream realm crossed her mind, yet this was something she wanted to feel, not see; to experience and not just create.

Acrylic thought on his brother...Tail took his love as a joke, now that he persisted; Wintered wanted nothing to do with a wedding. It did make him smile slightly that Wintered Tail gave the set of royal attire back once he realized Acrylic left it. Emotions ran high..things were said that nothing could do to take them back, yet Tail still was kind....which means there was hope.

"Goodbye for now my shimmering star..."

Luna blinked and rolled her eyes this time, looking back over at Acrylic with disappointment in her gaze.

"Now thou art just being a fool." She said with ice in her tone.

Acrylic laughed quietly, Luna joining in as white light slowly burned the field into nothingness...

_ _

Luna woke up slowly, it was almost midday, her room was still a mess and she realized her covers had a certain stench to them...

"Oh dear..."She said quietly.

The princess slowly got to her hooves out of bed, light blue comforter falling off around her as she shifts.

The sun seeped though the gaps of her window, it sent a small glow into her room that gave her a calm feeling...it was nice. Luna found herself looking around her room with new eyes, the books on the shelf were out of order...she needed to organize them later. The luxurious washroom had a growing pile of towels that the maids were failing to keep up with...perhaps she could help them during a late night?

Luna smiled..she felt energetic surprisingly. With a new found strength she faced her bed and let it wash in blue magic, fixing and rearranging it to better suite somepony of her status. No longer a sulking child...she had to be mature now, to take problems and fix them herself.

The door swung open and Luna stepped out proudly, closing it behind her gracefully and walking the well lit halls. It was a peaceful day with the soft chatter of guards and servants, she started a slow walk to take in the scent of flowers in the air and enjoy the colors that drape the walls. The decor had a flawless sense of royalty, Luna even got a little giddy when she head a piano playing somewhere in the castle..a soft number she easily recognized.

God..save..the..queen.

It put even more bounce in her step as she walked, humming the tune to herself. Suddenly she spotted a few maids cross her path into another hallway, she followed a bit quicker and called out.

"I wish thee both a fine afternoon." She said, the maids turning back smartly with shock under their smiles.

"And a fine afternoon to thee, Your Majesty." They said in unison.

Luna continued on, humming again and making her way to the courts to join her sister once again.

_ _

"Are we dreaming...?" Spotless said quietly when they continued on.

"I don't think so...maybe she is playing with our heads?" Dusty Shine remarked..

They walked quickly to get to their chores...

"Why can't Nightmare Moon just save it for night then?" Spotless said, just as a gold clad guard stepped from another corner and halted their walk. Scolding them on manners for disrespecting the princess...

_ _

Celestia couldn't ask for better timing when Luna walked though the archway behind her and took a seat with that confidant smile and posture. Thankfully, even a room full of grizzly looking gryphon representatives couldn't scare her baby sister. Celestia looked back down at the gryphons and took a deep breath...

"I would like to introduce my sister, Princess Luna, the guardian of the night." She said with as much command and ice in her voice as possible to get the point across...her sister was a force to be feared...and Luna's unreadable face was the last hammer to the nail for her formal introduction.

Each gryphon bowed in respect, the center and larger one lifting his head up first; a permanent scowl on and a scar down his the side of his face. Fernar was his name, the single voice for the dozen clan lords that held stake in the gryphon kingdoms; born of battle and a demon in flesh if there was such a thing. While the clan leaders had expensive looking attire and an air of intelligence...it spoke of how relations were sliding if they send a warlord to speak of peace.

"Humbled...Now, if it is alright with the clans, may we begin?" He said slowly, like a predator coiling to strike.

The other gryphons nodded to the center leader, Celestia steeling herself for a long day ahead.

"As we spoke of in the letters, Pegesi clutter our sky day in and day out, yet pay no tolls to enter our kingdoms, and even steal from out citizens. It would seem that these ponies, while few, think themselves above the word of law. While I would normally attest this to common criminals..." With venom seeping from his tone when he said the last few words...

That was a shot to the gut to call ponies common criminals...Celestia let it slide.

"I grow worried as this trend increases...our people lose money, valuables and cherished family items, items of our culture. To be sold or destroyed. Not only does our culture suffer, but with so many insurgents inside our walls...it begs the question...Should the gryphons fear a hostile takeover?"

That was a shot to the face....this warlord...this thug knew that travel between borders was allowed, what happened as a result was a problem for each country. Celestia had to oversee a few gryphons on trial for crimes, yet there was no plan! Celestia wanted to retort...she was burning alive inside...but the floor still belonged to the guest until he turned it over.

Luna somehow was still unreadable...

"And it only solidifies the implications when thee tries to scare us with such an underhanded tactic...Nightmare Moon may be a horror story in your land, Princess...But tis not in ours." He gave a determined glare at Luna, he was doing everything he could to invoke anger...

"Your Majesties..." He finished.

Celestia had a plan already...it was there in her head, a way for everypony to be happy for just a little longer. So why couldn't she speak? The anger clouded her mind and made it a challenge to think of the right words, one false statement would send the room into a flurry of feathers and rage.

Luna let out a calm breath....

"I would refrain from disrespecting the hosting party during negotiations. Thou may refer to me a Princess Luna. As far as thy concern...It seems foolish to say thy predicament is a simple one, and we are on the same side of the field; so I do not see why we could not come to an agreement."

Luna smiled back at the gryphon..a knowing...venomous smile that made the warlord tense when he realized his job would not be that simple. It gave Celestia time to find the right words and the confidence to say them.

_ _

The warlord had to sit down, it may have been rude or ill mannered...but he had to sit. The princess of the sun had droned on for what seemed like hours, sure the clan leaders were listening...of course they were! All of them spoke of family blood that gave them right to rule; defiance to the invasive and overbearing Sisters rang in the halls back home like a jester with a twitch....yet their beaks were soft and feathers more fitting on a foul swan than those who carry such weight in his people's name. Fernar nearly vomited when he saw them enraptured by the Princess's almighty wisdom.

Fools...

The sun sister was calm and collected, the lunar sister staying silent...her icy glare suddenly found his, his soul felt cold and a sudden darkness cut into his mind like an ax...she was onto him from the start. Celestia was a dense child playing queen in the absence of her mother...but the glare that tore though his ruse and put fear into his heart...this was a true queen. Suddenly the demon of the wind found his tail flicking anxiously under the unflinching gaze of the lunar princess...

"I know what ye seek, monster."

Fernar found the room fell silent, the gryphons he protected spoke...yet no sound left their beaks.

"What magic is this...? This is an act of violence against a peaceful conciliate! he shouted in his mind.

A cool laugh echoed all around him...it came from every corner of the room, and the deepest recess of his mind. The gryphon tried to move but found his limbs heavier than a mountain.

"Do not tempt our hoof...Thy came here to begin a war, mayhaps you fail today...yet thou seek the bloody goal all the same.

Luna stood up from her throne...the dark blue figure remained sitting. This was no longer the Princess he saw sitting on her high perch...this was something else...

It had her form..her eyes and her poisonous smile. Mane black as ebony and glittering like the night sky with serpent eyes boring into his heart and planting weeds of fear. The gryphon did his best to remain calm...

"If ye thinks this a jest...we feel shame to disappoint thee."

Resolve shattered like fine glass against rough stone...Fernar now felt panic setting in as the phantom walked off the throne on shadowy steps.

"Understand this...If ye returns with so much as a hint of insolence..." Her tone seeped darkness and evil.

The gryphon felt his heart begin to slow...his claws dug into the marble and cracked it from the pain.

"I will make ye wish my mother for the sweet fire of hell.

The nightmare was inches from him now, his heart trying to beat against whatever power that threatened to take his life. Those haunting eyes...they would not blink nor waver. As the ebony mane began to swirl around his neck like a ghost and tighten, he gasped out sharply and lifted his head up.

The other gryphons were staring at him with concern and Celestia seemed furious...Luna just kept that nightmarish smile.

"Counselor...Did thou just fall asleep during court...?" Celestia asked as calmly as she could.

Was that just a dream...?

"Sister...I think he seeks to make a statement. This gryphon finds dreams more entertaining than how his country fairs...is this how all gryphons feel?"

She is twisting this! Wretch!!

A clan lord quickly grabbed Fernar by the arm and started dragging him out of the hall, the others quickly apologizing as best as they could for the deadly mistake. As soon as he was tossed out the doors he shouted out a string of curses...

"That witch! How dare she ploy my simple mistake against me! Tis her fault for saving that child's flank. That mare put some spell of nightmares on me and twisted it to send me away, I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS!!"

The gryphon shouted out in anger and hit the ground...a tear welling up as soon as he made contact.

"Argh!!!" He shouted in pain and fury.

This castle is madness incarnate! He was Fernar of Lightning! Demon of the wind and speaker for the clans!!! How could simple stone hurt him...

That's when he realized his talons were bleeding...

Fernar lifted the claw up and examined it...

The talon on each digit was bleeding profusely, the pain swept him unspeakably swift. It felt like someone yanked out his talons one by one! Then he remembered.....

In his dream, he could only move enough to dig a claw into the ground in primal fear....he couldn't have done that in real life without waking up from the pain. It's just impossible...

"More possible than thou thinks, darling..." That voice rang clear as day in the halls.

A loud laugh echoed in the halls again, or was it in his mind? It echoed and echoed, sending that same fear into every corner of his heart until he found himself looking everywhere for a source of the malicious laughter. It was lighting every danger signal in the gryphon's mind, he backed up in reflex only to find something block his path...he looked up slowly...

That face will now haunt his dreams and waking nightmares...

"Take flight..." It said with a chilling toneless nature.

_ _

"What a joyous turn of events!" Celestia said the moment the doors shut.

Luna smiled and nodded, the warlord was no politician...his tactless nature was ultimately his downfall. Luna felt more pride than she would admit to her sister, to use such a tactic as to invoke the anger of a goddess...it was not a wise move. It was indescribable to see 'The Sword' taking action, that gryphon hopefully learned his lesson on respect; if he didn't...more fun for her.

Luna beamed proudly and let out a short laugh, which quickly became a boisterous fit. Celestia was unsure why her sister was laughing, yet she found herself joining in when the fit spread. What started off with Celestia playing defense, ended with the gryphons agreeing with anything she said...Luna didn't even force the warlord to sleep, that was his mistake.

One he payed dearly for...

Luna got up to get her blood flowing, stretching out her stiff legs and neck to prepare herself for the rest of the day.

"Indeed, how could he just fall asleep like that? In the middle of our negotiations."

Celestia looked over when the 'our' sounded strange...

"But we taught him not to disrespect the power of the Sister of Harmony." She said plainly, sitting back down and looking over at Celestia with a friendly smile.

"Luna...thee did not..."

Luna laughed quietly and nodded.

"Did." Luna said mischievously. "Admit it, he needed a slight attitude adjustment." Luna said with sureness and no edge of guilt.

To use her power of dreams on a diplomat...while rude and ill mannered....it hinted of things that put worry in the sun princess's heart...

"Lulu...please, don't do that ever again. Were it to go poorly, ye could cause more problems than fix."

Luna rolled her eyes and looked back forward to the doors when they opened again, Celestia coudn't just ignore this..but duty comes first, hopefully it would be an easy day after such an eventful afternoon.

Thus with a giant bag and paint spotted hooves entered...

"A fine evening, your majesties!" Acrylic said quickly.

What are ye doing, fool?! Luna screamed in her mind.

Acrylic was calm, he knew he had one shot to make a good impression. With a thud, he set the dusty bag down on the ground and began rummaging though it.

"I..am Acrylic Evenfall, a craftsman from the deep Everfree."

"Is that not the forest that lies at the foothills?" Luna suddenly asked..she was surprised that anypony could even live there all alone like that...

"Tis! Now..if I could fetch it.......ah!"

Acrylic yanked out a heavy metal chest plate, painted a deep blue with the enchanting moon painted on it. Complete with silver and elegant looking shoes that would match its somber but elegant look. The set rested on the marble, Celestia speechless at the suddenness..and the beauty that the metal held.

"A gift for the Princess of the moon and stars." He said with confidence.

Luna was just a speechless...until a large smile grew on her face. The princess got up and walked down the stairs slowly, eyes locked on the bowing form of her love...his dedication true and that slight eye open watching her smugly...

I should kill ye for scaring me like this...

Luna lifted the elegant attire in the air with her magic and slipped it on, the metal was comforted by what felt like thick cloth..she realized it wasn't just cloth; it felt like it was old...

The silver shoes fit perfectly, it made Luna feel more like her sister finally...to have a set of regal attire. Luna was examining the metal work until her sister clear her throat.

"Um...well...we both thank thee for this kind gift-" Celestia started.

Acrylic cut her off with a quick laugh, Luna looking up in confusion.

"I have a second gift...yet I wish to ask the Sisters of Harmony a favor...."

Celestia had strange visits before, this one though was a bit high on the list. Luna seemed enraptured by this guest, and all these gifts....what was he after?

"I merely seek a roof over my head and food for the few days that I remain in the city. I was hoping it could be payment for the materials I used..."

There was no easy way to ask an immortal goddess with control of the sun to crash at her place. Acrylic thought he managed the best way he could do it though. Celestia wasn't sure what to say, the rooms they had empty were only for consulates or representatives visiting..yet with the gryphons and their prideful nature, the rooms were currently available...

"I think my sister and I would love to host somepony with such a talent and generosity as ye for the time being."

Celestia blinked in surprise and looked down at her sister..was Luna getting too confident...? To quiet the courts or make an assertive point was one thing...but to directly invade anothers mind... Celestia decided to allow the guest quarter, but only to allow time for herself to get a straight answer from her sister. When the pony slung the bag on his back again and exited the grand hall, Celestia stood up...

"Sister..."

"Do not, sister, us." Luna said coldly...

Luna turned around and faced Celestia.

"We are perfectly capable of making decisions on our own."

Celestia felt he jaw hand slack slightly...what in the world had gotten into Luna?! Was this an ego forming in the goddess of the night? Celestia did everything she could to make her sister happy...did she foster this behavior...? Could this be her fault somehow...Luna still stood her ground unflinching, and while Celestia could never fear her sister...she did hesitate. Hesitation was all it took, Luna smiled and walked back up the steps, proud that for once, she won an argument; and why shouldn't she be proud? Celestia was overbearing and judgmental, she needed to be knocked down a bit...Not to say Luna was trying to hurt her sisters feelings...more she was just letting Celestia know that she was no longer playing second best.

Luna sat down on her throne, the new attire matching her sister and finally putting them on an equal field. Celestia felt something unfamiliar...it was like her heart was afraid, yet unsure what it was afraid of...was it change...Would mother approve of this? It just felt wrong to see Luna stealing her spotlight...

What?!

Celestia nearly lost all of her composure when she realized the what the fear was. Between stunned self-hatred and baffled laughter...Celestia realized that it was sibling rivalry.

That had to be it...just petty sibling rivalry that would twist simple actions and layer them with dark tones to give reason to ludicrous ideas. The princess let out a sigh of relief...

"I apologize deeply for doubting thee, dearest sister..." Celestia said, making Luna lighten up and smile pleasantly.


That had to be it...





Acrylic was busy setting up in a room, the gold armored guard helped him move the canvas bag. The stallion couldn't help but feel a little pride that he actually got a room...and hopefully, Luna would love his painting. The room he was granted was massive, a royal sized bed in the center of the room...small bookcase holding a few references on Equestrian culture and history.

The center piece was a pot of blue and white rose flowers sitting on the nightstand, sending wafts of their sweet scent into the air that drift though the wind....

I hope I can see her tonight...

Acrylic removed his second bag again, looking down at it and trying to remember how many days ago it had been...four? five? They had to be good still. Setting the bag down on the bed and standing back from it..

"One shot..."

The green magic wrapping around it started to cause it to spark...plumes of green poured from the bag as he poured everything he had into it. Acrylic knew he had to do something, something to say he was sorry...that's why the spell had to work. The bag shook and lifted into the air for a moment..suddenly the air ignited with a deafening crack and the box disappeared with a blinding flash. Acrylic collapsed on the ground the second the box was gone, for a few moments, all he could do was breath and try and regain enough strength to see.

Regardless of his efforts to stand, his limbs refused to move from exhaustion; leaving him to fall asleep on the ground...

_ _

A loud crack snapped Wintered out of his thoughts, the sound made his fillies shriek upstairs.

"What in the world.."

Tail got up from the sofa and walked slowly towards the source..the kitchen. When he entered though the archway, he saw a smoldering bag sitting on the table. Its corners charred like embers and area covered in ash...and something smelled sweet...

"Dad, what happened?"

Tail turned his head...it was Tome that stood in the doorway with his sister, both looking at the bag with fear edging into their minds; yet childlike curiosity gleaming in their eyes.

Tail walked to the bag and nudged it to be safe...it was still warm to the touch. Opening the flap carefully, he removed a pink colored box that had a slight weight to it. The lid was charred slightly, yet when he flipped the lid, the sweet scent reminded him that it had been far too long since he had eaten...

"Sweetrolls...?" He said quietly...not quietly enough though.

"Those are from Uncle!" Tome shouted, charging his father and trying to reach up to snag the box.

It was a peace offering...one that made his twins laugh with excited joy as they clambered around the metal pony to get at the sweets. Wintered was still furious...he was still disappointed and still not changing his mind....yet it did make him feel better, looking at the simple gift. It was hope...a sign that while the darkness might consume us, a light always is there to mend.

Tail felt water building up in his eyes, hope chasing away the shadows in his heart slowly but surely. .but first...he needed to make things right. What he said in the blind rage...it was unforgivable...and he knew that somewhere, Radiance was watching over him; disappointed in his actions.

Brother...I'm so sorry...

There was a note...Tail put it down when he realized the heat destroyed most of it...

-Wintered Tail

I am sorry..for everything...from the start, I caused ye heartache. I have no right to call thee brother...and never have. I thank thee for helping me regardless, the pain I caused is unimaginable; thou truly has the kindest heart for putting up with a monster such as I. Take comfort, I will no longer cause thy family to suffer, enjoy these...tis not much...but it shall ease my mind knowing I at least made the foals smile one last time.

With Best Wishes-Acrylic Evenfall

Author's Note:

Conceal dont feel