• Published 10th Jan 2014
  • 713 Views, 15 Comments

Cutie Mark Crusader Saviors of the World - D101 Reviews



The Grand Eclipse Ceremony. A historic day that comes once in every ten generations when the moons blocks the path of the sun. On this day, when the Cutie Mark Crusaders are at their most beaten, they make a deal. Their Cutie Marks, for their souls.

  • ...
4
 15
 713

Prologue: Deal With A Devil

Prologue: Deal With a Devil

I have, indeed, no abhorrence of danger, except in its absolute effect - in terror...

Ponyville was a hive of activity today. Just on the outskirts of Ponyville by Sweet Apple Acres was a campsite that looked like a small city, each tent housing a small family of ponies as they waited on the outskirts of the tiny town at the heart of Equestria. Each and every pony there was up talking, laughing and doing things with their families. Simply put, they were waiting.

The ponies of Ponyville could not afford such luxuries of waiting however. Everypony who could do something was working. Princess Twilight Sparkle was, due to her royal status and notorious organisational prowess, was working directly with Mayor Mare to ensure the day's proceedings ran smoothly. Applejack and Big Mac had been working nonstop for the past several weeks to prepare enough cider for everypony for this one day. An arduous process to be sure, yet they did have the full help and support of the entire Apple family to aid them. Rarity had been appointed as the manager of any and all decorations and had been designing banners and flags for the past several months using almost all of her materials in the process (though she was paid a rather handsome fee). Pinkie Pie of course was bouncing around Ponyville as if springs had been attached to her already buoyant and rubbery feet, and was stuffing cupcakes and candy-canes, sarsaparilla and soda at anypony whose hands were not already full. Fluttershy was nowhere to be seen, though some ponies suspected that she may have been commissioned by Twilight to keep an eye on Discord for the day. Rainbow Dash and the rest of the Ponyville weather team had been awake since the first rays of Celestia's sun had crested over the horizon, clearing the skies of clouds. A small faction of the weather team chased away any clouds that came anywhere near the boundaries of Ponyville whilst the others were commissioned by Rarity to hang some of the more hard to place decorations.

Predictably, this drove Rainbow Dash insane, but even she wouldn't complain about the extra workload. Not today. Today was probably going to be the biggest event for Ponyville since the Summer Sun Celebration all those years ago when Twilight first appeared.

Today, was the first time the Day of Eclipse would be celebrated in over one thousand years. The day when Celestia's Sun would be blotted out by Luna's Moon in a joyous celebration of the harmony in Equestria. This momentous occasion had not occurred since before the time on Luna's transformation into Nightmare Moon and subsequent banishment. Now however, after the coronation of the newly appointed Princess Twilight Sparkle, and the distress caused by the withering of the Tree of Harmony, the sister Princesses of Sun and Moon had decided it was high time for the celebration of Harmony once more. A most wonderful occasion indeed, and no pony in Equestria wanted to miss it.

Or perhaps, Equestria and beyond? Rumours flew wildly about foreign dignitaries that may be traveling from far off countries to observe this spectacle of magic. After all it was history in the making, and nopony wanted to miss it.


"At least they didn't follow us," Scootaloo lamented as she and her fellow Crusader's trudged wearily through a secluded section of Sweet Apple Acres. She kicked an unusually clumped tuft of grass out of bitterness.

"Maybe we should go back?" Sweetie Belle suggested looking uneasily over her shoulders.

"An' what? Sit though the Eclipse Ceremony with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon breathin' down our necks?" Apple Bloom growled. "If that's what you wanna do Sweetie that's fine but Ah'm sick of it."

"Me too," Scootaloo agreed.

Sweetie Belle bowed her head slightly and bit her lip. "I was just saying...."

"We know Sweetie Belle," Scootaloo said, squeezing Sweetie Belle's shoulder, "But we all know it's more trouble than it's worth. Besides, do you wanna be at the Eclipse Ceremony, with hundreds of ponies from Equestria and beyond, and have all of them see this?"

She traced her finger over Sweetie Belle's blank and unmarked cheek.

Sweetie Belle blinked back a few tears and shook her head emphatically. Scootaloo removed her hand and gave a sad smile of understanding.

They walked on for a while more, in silence and in sadness. All three of them, head's downcast and cheek's blank. Unmarked by the meaning of their own unique talents, the secrets of which they had been unable to decipher even after all these years.

Their Crusade to find their Cutie Marks, had ended in failure. They were no longer the little fillies who ran around Ponyville with madcap schemes, but young mares who hung at the back of class to avoid attention. Who spent days at home, doing work or chores or other such labours to remain isolated from others. To avoid the whisper's behind their backs, and the not-so-subtle points to their blank cheeks. They just wanted to be left alone.

"It ain't FAIR!" Applebloom suddenly screamed, turning suddenly and kicking at a nearby apple tree with all her might. Given her years of working the farm with Applejack and Big Mac, the tree groaned and toppled over, though no apples fell from its dead branches.

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, though initially surprised by Apple Bloom's sudden shout, lowered their heads again as the farm girl felled the dead apple tree. This hadn't been the first time one of them had exploded like that. Violent mood swings like that were pretty much common place in their little trio. While they were mostly quiet and sullen there were occasions when one of them would simply snap and lash out at whatever was closest. Objects, family, other ponies. The only ones safe from the three young mares when one of them went off the deep-end were themselves.

Applebloom panted heavily, her shoulders rising and falling in sharp, juddering movements as Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle simply watched, part curious, part sympathetic. Sweetie Belle made as if to comfort Applejack but Scootaloo grabber her arm and held her back. When Sweetie Belle looked at her she shook her head slightly.

Eventually Applebloom's breathing normalised. A moment followed before her head dropped onto her chest and her arms wrapped around her as if she was cold. Her body began quaking and she fell down to her knees. Scootaloo let go of Sweetie's arm and they both rushed to her side, embracing her from either side, offering hushed, quiet words to her as she sobbed nearly uncontrollably.

"It just ain't fair...." Applebloom whispered through her tears.


Ponyville town hall had been decorated in the colours of the four Princesses of Equestria. The brilliant gold and pearl white flags of Celestia. The midnight blue and shimmering silver of Luna. The hot pink and crystal blue of Cadance. And the deep purple and calming magenta for Twilight. The four Princesses themselves stood at the end of the hall, each dressed in elegant gowns to compliment there appearance (each one of course designed by Rarity). Shining Armour stood by Cadence's side, dressed in his red dress uniform, ceremonial sword hilted at his side. Prince Blueblood was conspicuous by his absence, though no one really complained.

They were waiting for the arrival of their honoured guests. The various political powers who had been invited to attend the occasion would gather in this room and be greeted by Celestia and the others before they were allowed to mingle. From what Twilight had been told by Rarity when she discussed the matter with her, it would be something akin to a cocktail party like the ones usually held in Canterlot, where the rich and the powerful gathered and talked about anything and everything.

Of course, given her pessimistic nature, Twilight was terrified of having to meet the foreign dignitaries. Mainly for her fear that she may do or say something stupid, an act that would be highlighted be the absence of Blueblood.

"My dear Twilight you simply must relax," Celestia said, looking concernedly at the younger Princess from the corner of her eye.

"I'm fine," she panted, her breathing heavy and laboured, every muscle in her body tense. "I'm fine really. I mean okay I'm a little nervous. This is the first time I'll be meeting foreign dignitaries as a Princess after all."

"You have no need to fear Twilight," Luna assured her. "I am certain none of our allies will ask you any trying questions. All you must do is be yourself. That is what gained you so many friends here in Ponyville is it not?"

"Yes, yes that's right," Twilight breathed, clearing her throat. "But then again none of the ponies I met back then were powerful political figures that I really needed to impress."

"You won't need to impress them Twily," Shining said, smiling kindly. "Trust me I've attended hundreds of these things. All you have to do is smile a little, say hello, maybe accept a little banter. No biggie."

"Easy for you to say," Twilight gulped. "Like you said you've been to lots of these things. Me?... I think I'm starting to feel nauseous."

"I don't think your friend Rarity would appreciate you violating your dress by vomiting upon it," Luna pointed out.

"Can we not talk about vomit please? I'm feeling sick as it is!"

As she said this the doors opened and a single pony entered, grimacing slightly.

"The first guests have arrived your highnesses," he informed.

"Very good Captain," Celestia acknowledged. "You may bring them in."

"Oh goodie," Twilight sighed.


"We should leave them to blow off some steam darling," Rarity said to Applejack as she repaired one of the banners that had been damaged over the past hour. The damage had been caused by a near distraught Sweetie Belle after an ill-placed comment from a now shocked visitor.

"Ah wish Ah knew what to do about them fillies," Applejack sighed shaking her head slightly, leaning against the wall Rarity was redecorating.

"Mares darling," Rarity corrected. "Those three stopped being fillies a long time ago."

"She's right AJ," Rainbow Dash said arms folded, looking at the sky in case a stray cloud managed to sneak into Ponyville airspace. "Those girls are pretty much all grown up."

"Apart from you know what o' course," Applejack grimaced. "Ah can hardly mention it without 'Bloom completely loosin' her cool."

"You're lucky your family isn't unicorn," Rarity muttered. "The damage magic can do is really astounding when channeled correctly. Especially when a hormonal and distraught mare is the one in control of it."

"You know to be perfectly honest I'm surprised Scootaloo is the most composed out of those three," Rainbow commented. "I mean, she was the one who came up with the most drastic of ideas to get those three their Cutie Marks. Whenever she gets upset about it she just flies away as fast as she can for an hour or two."

"Though Scootaloo does seem to be the hair-brained schemer of the three, I don't think she has the heart in her to be malicious, intentional or otherwise," Rarity said. "I can't say I surprised by how Applebloom's taking it. No offense darling."

"None taken," Applejack sighed. "I know she gives you a unfair mouthful the same as she does to me. She always was the most drastic of the three. Remember the time she got herself Cutie Pox?"

"Oh dear she did look rather... small after that didn't she?" Rarity chuckled to herself.

"They'll always look small to me," Rainbow smirked. "They'll always be the same three little fillies."

"Ah feel the same way Rainbow," Applejack sighed. "I just wish that it were true."


"I swear if I have to smile anymore my jaw will fall off," Twilight moaned, rubbing the lower half of her face.

"Patience Twilight," Luna murmured out of the corner of her mouth. "We have but a few more guests to greet and we can drop the smiles."

"How many?" was all Twilight said in response.

"Five," Celestia answered, looking out over the now densely populated town hall.

A loud bang sounded from outside.

"And it sounds like they have arrived," Celestia smiled.

The door opened and a band of unicorns stepped through. The first was a tall, middle-aged grizzled stallion, with a slate grey coat, with a silver blue mane. His eyes were a deep navy blue, that sparkled with both mischief and danger in equal measures. His Cutie Mark was of single, curved blade shaped like a large 'C' emblazoned on a white star. He was dressed in a black suit, with many military medals pinned to his chest. As he walked towards Celestia and the others, Twilight noted that he walked with a slight limp in his right leg, and so leaned on a silver topped walking stick.

The unicorn beside him was about the same age as him, but was lime green in the colour of her coat and had a chesnut brown mane. Her eyes were a deep hazel in colour and her Cutie Mark was an red medical cross in the centre of swirling vortex of stars. Her dress was a long sweeping gown with a long flowing hem of a silver blue colour that trailed behind her.

Behind them, practically in their shadows was a tall, broad shouldered stallion, or mare. It could have been either as their face was lost in sharp shadows. The imposing sight was made even more so by the angular, black and golden armour that they wore, hiding their body and face from view as they strode down the hall, the crowds parting like a school of fish around a shark. Pinned to their shoulders was a cape of black velvet, embroidered with golden silk. On the cape's flowing material was a crest. A midnight blue shield with a silver horse's head, surrounded by brilliant golden stars.

Behind the armoured figure was a second mare, appearing almost board. Her coat was the same shade of lime green as the first mare and her mane the same silver blue as the stallion. She also shared the same navy blue eyes as he. It took Twilight only a moment to reason she must be their daughter. Emblazoned on her cheek was an oldish map marked with a navigational compass. Her dress was not as magnificent as her mother's, having a much more restrained hemline, and made of a sombre black velvet.

The final figure was perhaps the most out of place, at least to Twilight. A young stallion about the age of the Cutie Mark Crusaders with a jet black mane and slate grey coat. He too shared the same navy blue eyes as the first stallion, though his cheek was devoid of markings. However his clothing is what made him out of place. A white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his forearms and stained by various paints and inks. His face was pressed so close to the notepad he was scribbling in it was practically shoved up his nose. Twilight could barely suppress a giggle at the sight of the fact that the young stallion was only wearing one shoe.

The herald also appeared to have noticed as he nearly lost his composure at the sight. A small snort came from his mouth, though he managed to pass it off as a cough before he stood at attention.

"Announcing His Majesty King Veteran Centurion, Master of the Warhorse Empire and defender of its borders. Her Royal Highness, Medical Officer Queen Healing Touch. His Royal Highness, Commanding Officer Prince Battle Ready, champion of Warhorse and keeper of Equitem. Her Royal Highness, Junior Strategic Advisory Officer Princess Tactical. And His Royal Highness Prince Blueprint."

A round of applause shattered the silence as the group reached Celestia. Veteran smiled and inclined his head to the surrounding room as they returned to their conversations. Celestia smiled at Veteran and the others. A genuine smile Twilight noticed.

"My dear Celestia!" Veteran cried, raising his hand in a welcoming gesture. "By Victoriam it's been an age! You haven't aged a day I see!"

"Dear Veteran," Celestia smiled, holding her hand out to the older looking stallion. "You flatter me."

"Is it flattery if it's true my dear?" Veteran asked, taking her white hand and gently pressing his lips to her knuckles. "Ah, if I were not already married to the mare of my dream's I may have made a fool of myself today."

"I do not doubt you would make a fool of yourself even as you are married to Healing," Luna commented, smiling like her sister. Veteran threw his head back and barked a laugh.

"My dear Luna. Celestia has only hinted at your brilliant wit. I only wish I knew you as well as she."

"Darling perhaps we should move on?" Healing asked. Veteran looked around and shrugged.

"To be perfectly honest these ponies all bore me to tears," he replied. "I would rather speak to our good allies from Equestria."

His eyes wandered over to Twilight and he smiled kindly at her.

"And this must be Princess Twilight Sparkle I assume," he said, holding his free hand out to her. Twilight smiled nervously and took it.

"P-pleasure to meet you sir," she stammered.

"Nervous I take it?" he asked. "Don't worry. Celestia will see you right. She never stops talking about you that's for certain. I can hardly get a word in edgewise without her talking about her star pupil."

"Really?" Twilight asked, her eyes flicking to Celestia, who was now talking with Healing.

"Absolutely," Veteran nodded emphatically. He then leaned in conspiratorially. "Between you and me you seem a much better Princess than my daughter. I can hardly get her to do anything."

"And what about your youngest?" she asked, nodding at the one-shooed pony she assumed was Blueprint.

"Who Blue?" Veteran asked, before chuckling. "He's always doodling. Got his head in the clouds unfortunately."

"I heard my name what's going on here?" Blueprint said suddenly appearing at Veteran's elbow. His father laughed and tousled his mane.

"Ears like a fox," he commented. "I was just saying to Princess Twilight here about how I can hardly get you to put that notebook down."

"Are you insinuating that's a bad thing father?" he asked. "I am creating art. A passion of mine which I pursue with great interest." He stopped and looked at Twilight before smiling widely and holding his hand out to her. "Sorry, Blueprint, at your service."

"Twilight Sparkle," she replied, shaking his hand. "You're an artist?"

"Of a sort," Blueprint admitted. "I will admit I have a knack for drawing, I just don't know what style is mine. I try and I try and still nothing but this!" He pointed at his blank cheek. He then shrugged and looked back at his notepad. "Still, could be worse."

"How so? If you don't mind me asking?" Twilight said.

"I don't know. But I know it could be worse," Blueprint said as he walked away, scribbling in his notebook.

"He seems... nice," Twilight said.

"Still young," Veteran said. "Head in the clouds and filled with all those romantic ideas. Unlike- oh dear what's he doing now?"

Twilight followed his line of sight. Sitting down at a side table was Shining Armour and the armoured figure. He had since removed his helmet to reveal his spiky black mane, dark grey coat and navy blue eyes. His Cutie Mark was a black shield emblazoned with a ivory white skull. Both he and Shining armour were resting their right elbow on the table. Their hands were clasped tight together and every few moments their clasped hands would either jerk one way or the other.

"Are they arm wrestling?" she asked.

"I barred him from flattening Shining on a sparring mat," Veteran sighed. "And yet somehow they still find a way to compete with each other. What else can go wrong today?"


The paint was peeling from the walls of the Crusader Club House. The boards were cracked and splitting as the branches of the tree it was built on grew thicker, longer and stronger. This didn't bother the the young mares as they clambered inside. They simply wanted to get away from everything. Even the sun.

The door practically fell from its hinges as Applebloom pushed it open with a gentle tap. They picked their way carefully through the holes in the floor and the other broken refuge, their sound of their movements muffled by the thick layer of dust on the floor. When they found themselves in a suitable spot by the window, the three sat: Applebloom perched on the window ledge, Sweetie Belle cross-legged on the floor and Scootaloo flew up to one of the branches that split through the wall. They sat in silence for a while, just basking in the memories.

"How long until we go back to Ponyville?" Sweetie Belle asked eventually.

"Who knows?" Applebloom sighed. "Maybe when everypony's gone from the ceremony?"

"That could be a few days, a week at most," Scootaloo said. "Where are we going to stay until then?"

"We could camp out here?" Sweetie Belle suggested. "It'd be just like old times."

"In this ol' thing?" Applebloom asked, kicking the window frame. "Can't believe Ah once fixed this place up. What was it you said it needed Scoots?"

"Tender Loving Care?" Scootaloo suggested.

"Nah that was Mah sis," Applebloom shook her head before she snapped her fingers in answer. "Ah know! You called it a Totally Lost Cause!"

"You did a good job of it though," Scootaloo said, slapping the tree branch. "I mean it's still here after all this time."

"Ah guess," Applebloom muttered.

"No guesswork about it!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed. "I mean think about it Bloom. You did this all yourself when you were just a little filly."

Applebloom smiled slightly. "Thanks Sweetie."

"Welcome."

They lapsed back into silence. Sweetie Belle began tracing drawings in the dust. Scootaloo adopted the position of her adoptive older sister and began to snooze on the tree branch. Applebloom was merely content to gaze at the sky.


Battle Ready tilted his head ever so slightly. It was an almost unnoticeable motion now that he had donned his helmet once more. A movement that made the barest disturbance in the air, as the metal of his helmet clicked gently. His father however clearly saw. His expression turned from one of mused patience to subtle concern.

"What is it?" he asked softly, trying not to move his lips.

They were sat on a raised platform, a little ways away from the royalty of Equestria. The way they were positioned, they would be in the perfect spot to watch the eclipse. Indeed, even as they sat waiting, the moon was just appearing over the horizon.

Battle turned his head to his father.

"I don't know what you mean father," Battle said.

"Don't lie to me Battle I know you suspect something," Veteran said simply. Battle clicked his tongue.

"Suspicion is too heavy a word for what I feel father," he replied slowly. "It is merely a feeling. An inkling that something shall go wrong. Something is amiss and it's bugging me."

"You're far too jumpy Commander. Equestria is perhaps the most peaceful kingdom of all out allies. What could possibly be at ill here?"

"Father I'm serious," Battle hissed. "Something will happen when the eclipse reaches it equinox."

"If you're so confident how about a little wager?"

"You want to put money on something that could potentially kill everyone here?"

"Do you lack that much confident in your inkling?"

Battle remained silent for a few moments and turned to face Celestia and Luna again. Veteran did the same. Moments trickled into minutes.

"Fifty drachma says I'm right," Battle said.


"The eclipse is starting if either of ya'll wanna watch," Applebloom said.

Scootaloo dropped from the branch she had been sleeping on and landed haphazardly on the ground. She was helped to her feet by Sweetie Belle as the she two got to her feet. The three Cutie Mark Crusaders crowded around the window and watched the sky above.

The shadow of the moon was just touching the edge of the shining disc that was Celestia's sun, which she had somehow dimmed to ensure that it didn't blind the sight of everyone who stared at it today. They sat in silence and simply watched as darkness covered the sun and, in turn, Equestria. It would have been something of distress if they didn't know beforehand that this was probably the most wonderful celebration of harmony they would ever see.

"It looks kinda pretty," Sweetie Belle said as the time passed still further.

"Yeah," Scootaloo said. "Maybe it's like a shooting star?"

"What? Ya'll mean when the eclipse is full ya'll make a wish an' everythin' gets better?" Applebloom asked. Scootaloo blushed.

"Maybe?"

Applebloom sighed. "Ah wish that were true. What Ah'd give for mah Cutie Mark. I mean Ah'd give mah... mah..."

"Soul?" Sweetie Belle suggested.

"Yeah!" Applebloom cried. "Ah'd give mah soul for my Cutie Mark."

"Me too," Scootaloo said.

"Me three," Sweetie Belle agreed.

"Your souls you say?" said a voice.

The three whipped around in surprise. They hadn;t heard anyone else come into the old clubhouse.

A tall figure stood behind them, stooping heavily under the low hanging ceiling of the clubhouse. He was dressed in a heavy, ragged black cloak. Clumps of earth clung to its material and it appeared parts of it were rotting away slightly. The figure was stooped at such an angle that they could see they rough slits into the cloak's back allowing his long, indigo wings to be free from its confines, and were folded neatly at his back. The feathers of the wings were in dire need of preening; most were crooked and bent in completely the wrong direction. The hood of the cloak was pulled over his face so that it lost in shadows. Only the tip of his muzzle could be seen in the quickly disappearing light of Celestia's sun, the same indigo as his wings.

"Who are you!?" Scootaloo cried, taking up a defensive stance in front of her two friends. The figure chuckled.

"Peace child. I mean you know harm," he said softly, his voice like velvet, yet with an undertone of danger. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Diabolus. Sometimes called the Wishmaker."

"What ya'll want?" Applebloom demanded. "This is mah home turf ya'll understand?"

"Oh I understand perfectly Applebloom," Diabolus answered.

Applebloom took a step back. "How'd ya'll know mah name?"

"I have my ways," he said cryptically. "But to answer your other question, I am here to help you my dears."

"With what?" Sweetie Belle squeaked, her horn glowing with a faint green aura to illuminate the clubhouse.

"Is it truly that complex? I wish to provide you with the answer to your prayers. I am here to give you your Cutie Marks."

"Horse-apples!" Applebloom spat. "Ah know that's impossible. Even unicorn magic couldn't make mah Cutie Mark appear."

"I am no unicorn," Diabolus said, pulling back the hood of his cloak. The ivory cone of his horn could be clearly seen thanks to Sweetie Belle's light. But his eyes were what caught Applebloom's attention. They were a deep, dull red. It was as if all of his energy had been drained out of him long ago and he was now running on empty.

"You're an alicorn?" Sweetie Belle breathed.

"I am indeed," Diabolus confirmed.

"Are you like Princess Celestia?" Scootaloo asked. Diabolus chuckled under his breath.

"After a fashion. While she and her sister may use their magic to raise and lower the sun, my magis is used to grant ponies wishes.... for a fee of course."

"Not interested," Scootaloo said swiftly.

"Come come Scootaloo," Diabolus tutted. "You cannot get something for nothing. And aren't you so so tired of ponies looking at you as if you're some kind of freak?"

Scootaloo flinched and looked away. Diabolus turned his attention to Sweetie Belle.

"How about you little Sweetie Belle? Wouldn't you finally like to know what your purpose is in life? Or are you content with doing odd jobs for your sister in the back room of the boutique?"

Sweetie Belle's bottom lip quivered. Diabolus' eyes slid to look at Applebloom.

"Applebloom... wouldn't you finally like to get back at all those ponies who doubted you? To trot up to them and say: 'This is who I am meant to be!' and be proud of it?"

Applebloom nearly looked away. Nearly. But she knew he was right. Everyone kept telling her that her Cutie Mark would come eventually if she was patient enough. But she had long since run out of patience. She had been waiting for her Cutie Mark for so many long and painful years now. She needed her Cutie Mark, and this might just well be her only chance to get it.

"Deal."

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle looked at her shocked. Applebloom turned her head to look at them, but gave no other explanation. The two looked at each, before they two mumbled ascent. Diabolus smiled.

"Your souls.... for your Cutie Marks?"

"Yes," Applebloom confirmed. "Jus' get it over with."

Diabolus horn glowed with a bitter red light. In one hand there appeared a long roll of parchment. At the bottom was a series of three dotted lines, evenly spaced out. In the other hand he offered them a black quill pen.

"Please sign here," he said. Applejack was the first to take the quill, quickly scribbling her name down on the first dotted line. With a resigned look Scootaloo took the quill from her and slowly wrote her own name down on the second line. Sweetie Belle, her hand shaking with nervousness, signed her name on the final line. As soon as she had finished the quill disappeared in a puff of red smoke. The scroll quickly followed, and there was an evil gleam in Diabolus eyes now.

"It is done," he said, his voice quiet. "When you three awaken... you shall have the greatest Cutie Marks you could ever want."

Applebloom felt a terrible grip around her heart. She gasped and collapsed to her knees, gripping her chest, where her heart was beating frantically under her ribs. She felt as if her very heart was being ripped from her body with a terrible wrenching, clawing sensation. She sobbed with agony, tears welling at the corners of her eyes. Judging from the cries of pain from besides her, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were going through a similar sensation. Outside of her own screams and that of her friends, Applebloom had but one thought.

What have Ah done?