• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 864 Views, 12 Comments

The Fire and The Flutter - A. Tuesday



A unicorn often outcast due to her special talent finds a friend in Fluttershy

  • ...
4
 12
 864

VI

VI

When I finally came to my senses, for a second I thought I was on the sun.

Everything was so bright, I couldn’t see a single thing. It was like I was staring into light itself, not having any clue of my surroundings.

Then shapes began to form. One over here, there, pretty much everywhere. They began to take definite shape, right as the headache began.

I felt as if somepony had just cut my head in two, and might’ve even been pulling the separate sections apart. I could barely think, but somehow my mind pulled together the specific shapes, and I took hold of my surroundings.

The entire room was white. There was a desk at the far end of the room, a door to the right, a nightstand on my left, and it looked like a couple different cords were actually inserted into my arm. Probably because they were. I realized then that I was in a hospital.

But other than the few details, I still couldn’t see. The sun shone through the window, and, mixed with the egg-shell white walls, made for a migraine inducing sight. I lifted my hoof to block out the sun.

“AH!” I screamed. My headache stopped, but bringing my hoof up was a different story. A pain spasm shot up my hoof as a raised it. Looking down at it, I saw it covered with a bandage and a splint. Seems as though I won’t be shaking anypony’s hoff with that one for a while. But, why?

A yellow pegasus trotted in the room. “Oh, Firestarter! I heard you shriek! Are you okay?”

“No, no,” I replied, still shaken up from that surprise burst of pain, “I’m fine. Just moved my, uh, hoof the wrong way, Fluttershy.”

I was surprised I was able to remember her name.

And then the truth came crashing down on me, just like I did from 30 feet up.

I was telling my backstory, and had become a little too emotional for comfort. This triggered an unintended firestorm I haven’t had since that fateful day on the mountain. I scorched the earth of the bark, burned down the tree, and probably scared the shoes off everypony’s hooves, including Fluttershy’s. I groaned miserably.

Fluttershy took notice. “What’s the matter?”

“Nothing, nothing,” I sighed, “I’m surprised you’re still here.”

“Well, why wouldn’t I be?”

I looked over to the left. I didn’t really want to talk about it, but since I brought it up, I had to continue.

Before I could, however, Fluttershy spoke. “You mean…about what happened in the park?”

I nodded slowly, and closed my eyes in sorrow.

“Firestarter,” she began, “Everypony gets emotional from time to time. It’s part of nature. Some cry, some hit things – and I guess some, like you, set things aflame.”

Her phrasing didn’t exactly help my cause. “You don’t understand, do you?” I asked.

“What…” She seemed to back off a bit. “What are you talking about, Firestarter?”

“I could’ve burned you! Potentially, from where you were, you could’ve gotten a free cremation from somepony you just met!”

She contemplated this for a bit. I knew it to be true. Thank Celestia she was a pegasus, or I most certainly would’ve engulfed her in flame. She was being oblivious to me – I had a problem, but she refused to back off. She didn’t know when to back off. I admired her for this – I don’t think I could ever be as courageous as her.

But, she was also stupid. I was too dangerous; she needed to get away. I know I was. As soon as I was better, I was going to have to get out of this town. I’d be outcast from everything, basically be the monster of the whole town. I could see it now. “Don’t go near that mare, dear – you’d be throwing yourself in a fireplace!”

Another town to leave. Another Ponyville to banish myself from. I could probably do it. But, I needed to cut all ties. Family, I might be able to do that for. Fluttershy – well, I hoped I could at least show her what was right. Make it easier, I suppose. For me.

But, she wouldn’t back down. “But, I didn’t. Firestarter, I can avoid your fire. You are my friend; friends stick together. I don’t care if you can burn me to a crisp, I’m around animals that could snap my neck or eat me.”

I hadn’t thought about this before. She continued. “Now stop being silly. You have given me a lot since my time here; one little forest fire isn’t going to steer me away. I’ve seen that before.”

I was stunned. “I – I – I – “ was all I could get out.

“Now,” she wrapped up, “You stay here. I have to go check on the whale. Don’t worry, I won’t ask you about the whale again; I understand you aren’t willing to do it, and I’m fine with that. You get your rest. You fractured your hoof during that fall – it’d help you to get some sleep. I’ll be back later to check on you. I can get anything for you while I’m out. Need anything?”

Now she was treating me like she was my mother. But with such kindness! “No, no thank you.”

“Okay,” she said, and she walked towards the door. “Goodbye, Firestarter. I’ll see you soon.”

“Goodbye,” I replied as she disappeared from sight, and the clop of her hooves faded into nothingness.

It was a while before I could even think about sleep. I just sat there, laying in my hospital bed, contemplating Fluttershy. How could such a small thing have so much compassion?

A doctor came in during my contemplation. He asked how my hoof was, how I was feeling, looked at my IV, et cetera, et cetera. I wasn’t really paying attention, I only though about the pegasus that had entered my life, whom I now considered a blessing.

Once the doctor left, I figured it was a good time to get some shuteye. I’d had a long day, and the sun began to dip low into the sky. It’d probably be late when Fluttershy came back, so I didn’t worry about that too much.

I rustled around under the sheets as best as I could, and began to drift away. Right as sleep enveloped me, a loud and fast clacking of hooves came closer and closer into the door. I opened my eyes, turned over, and watched as a grey mailmare with a letter in her mouth ran into the room and into the wall.

“Oh gosh, are you okay?” I asked.

“Never mind that!” she panted, clearly out of breath. She had to have been flying or running for some time, but I couldn’t tell which. “Is there a Fluttershy around?”

I shook my head. “She was here, but you missed her. She left…an hour ago, maybe?”

“Horsefeathers!” she exclaimed, and stamped her hoof on the ground, something I only wish I could do at this point.

I saw how aggravated she was. “If it helps, I can pass on the message to her.”

“You sure?” Her face brightened up. “I mean, this letter is urgent.”

I shrugged. “Couldn’t hurt.”

“Oh, thank you!” she said, as I used my magic to take the letter. “I’ve got so many letters to send and deliver. Ridiculous! Seems today everypony in New Horseleans wants to send a letter to family somewhere else! It’s like the Apocalypse is coming, or something!”

I could just guess what all the letters were about. “Dear loved ones, I regret to inform you I may not be able to get out of New Horseleans before this psychopath pony sets the place on fire. If I don’t…”

The mailmare trotted out of the room, saying to herself as she walked, “Argh. I just don’t know what went wrong…”

I turned my attention back to the letter. The word URGENT was indeed stamped upon the letter. If it was as urgent, I might as well pass it on to Fluttershy myself. I’m sure I could get someone to signal her or something. I only hoped whatever it was could wait an hour or two more.

I willed the letter out of the envelope, unfolded it, and read.

Fluttershy –

Please, get out of New Horseleans. The animal you’re trying to save – it’s beyond help at this point. I did some research – the ice floe on the whale isn’t cause by a disease or anything like that, but by something called an Ice Flamer. It slowly freezes its prey by being around it, then continues to eat it when the animal is frozen solid.

But, there’s more! Ice Flamers are very large, and very protective of their prey. If you try to meddle with it, it may retaliate! Your animal skills won’t help you at this point, Fluttershy. These things can and WILL kill you. You need to get out of town, and warn the others!

I can meet you at the train station if need be. Simply shoot me a letter. Please, hurry. We are worried for your safety!
Love,
Twilight

I threw the letter to the side. There was no question whether I should help Fluttershy or not – she needed help. I don’t care if at this point I tried to push her away for her safety – her safety was now at risk.

I forced the cords out of my arm with my magic, albeit with effort. Then, with my good hoof, I threw the sheets over and jumped off the bed. Pain shot up my arm, intensified from last time.

I groaned in pain. But, forget about myself. I needed to save Fluttershy. I’m sure I wouldn’t be met with any trouble down the hall – ALL the doctors knew what I did, even my own. If they saw me angry, they’d probably leave at full gallop.

I hobbled, with bad pain, out the door, to the amazement and fear of everypony in the hallway. I continued down the stairs and out the hospital. Seeing a carriage, I approached it – to the horror of the horses pulling it. They began to hastily trot away, until I said, “No! Don’t! I’ve got money at my restaurant!” Then, more angrily, “Don’t leave me!”

They sensed aggression in my voice, and immediately stopped. One turned and said, “We’ll do whatever you want miss – but please, I have a wife and foal to think about. Please don’t burn me to a crisp.”

I shot him a glance of “Are you serious?” But then, I realized, maybe I could use this to my advantage. For at least a bit.

I hopped, in excruciating pain, onto the carriage. “Marine Center!” I commanded.

“Yes ma’am!” was the terrified response.

With that, the carriage sped off into the New Horseleans dusk, at a speed only matched by the Wonderbolts.