• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 864 Views, 12 Comments

The Fire and The Flutter - A. Tuesday



A unicorn often outcast due to her special talent finds a friend in Fluttershy

  • ...
4
 12
 864

XIV

Teleportation is a feeling I will never forget.

Right before Celestia’s horn touched mine, I felt the aura of it’s magic approaching, along with that, I heard some strange noises, without being able to see anything, due to closing my eyes.

I heard somepony yell a final “No!” – and I realized, with a cringe, that it was Fluttershy, her voice distorted and deeper due to the magic. At around the same time, I also felt the only instance of pain throughout the entire teleportation process – a sharp pressure on my left shoulder, like somepony had dropped a weight on me. Odd that it was only my left, but I didn’t question.

There was no delay or lag in the teleportation – in an instant, the warm, still air of the hospital turned into a mild, wind – sand whipped at my closed eyelids as the chill of the unexpected wind brushed my fur. I opened my eyes.

The scene before me was completely different. I stood in the middle of a desert – the sky completely clear, sand and rocks everywhere, a light sandstorm in the process, I imagine, was going on, and the winds lashed out at me. Other than this, I couldn’t see anything as far as I could see.

I did hear something, though. The pain in my shoulder faded away as I heard the small, miniscule cry of an animal towards my left over the shallow din of the wind. Looking down at my left, I looked in pure shock and actually stepped back a foot or two.

I realized with a suddenness that the voice yelling “No!” wasn’t a distorted Fluttershy’s voice – it was Twilight’s. The pressure in my shoulder wasn’t from teleportation – it was from what I now stared at, writhing in pain on the ground. It had grabbed my should at the very last second.

Or should I say who.

For, lying in the sand in front of me, curled up in the fetal position, or as best as what could be managed in the current situation –
- was Fluttershy.

So, here I am.

Celestia has packed me, along with other various items, a tent in the bag, which I hastily set up using my magic once I saw Fluttershy. It isn’t the best of commodities, but keeps the sand out and shields us from the elements.

I moved Fluttershy to inside the tent, where she is now fast asleep on what would be my cot, lying on her back, hopefully not feeling too much pain.

Celestia has also packed me about 2 weeks worth of rations, some bits to exchange for whatever the currency is here – and of course, a world map, to figure out where I am in relation to everywhere else. It doesn’t help – there’s more than one desert in the world, and this place doesn’t have any special features that separate it from the rest, so I have no idea where we are now.

Which I’m going to have to figure out soon – the rations are only for one pony, and I’m not going to starve Fluttershy.

She also packed me scrolls and quills – which I am using now to write what you’ve just read, if there is a you, that is. Mostly, I’m writing this so I can reflect on it later, something I have a lot of time to do now.

I sit in this tent now, lying down on the floor of the tent, using my magic to finish up my memoirs for the moment. The wind outside has died down, and I believe night is settling in.

I owe Fluttershy an explanation of what went on at the Center.

I also must get her home.

I have decided that, no matter if she wants to stay with me, she belongs home, in Ponyville. If I’m imprisoned on the way, well, so be it. She is more important than I am, and I would rather see her at her own little cottage or whatever she lives in with friends and family, than out here, against the elements, with one friend whose mood swings end disastrously. So, I’ve taken it up as my mission, to return Fluttershy to her rightful home.

But first, I have to figure out where we are, exactly.

I turn to Fluttershy, lightly snoring, fast asleep. It can wait until tomorrow. I need sleep myself. Whatever time it was here, was not the same as New Horseleans. And I’d probably be going to bed now, anyway. I’ve had what you might call a “long day”.

So, for now, this is Firestarter, signing off.

I will return to Equestria.

And my friend will return home.

This, I promise.

Without a doubt.