• Published 27th Sep 2013
  • 920 Views, 1 Comments

Let Byhooves be Byhooves - Outlaw Quadrant



Rainbow Dash must work together on a special weather assignment with Flying High, a Pegasus who she was good friends with in the past until an event ended their friendship.

  • ...
0
 1
 920

3 - Forecast: Awkward

High noon rang the brick clock tower situated near Ponyville’s Town Hall. Hovering above the structure was Flying and his traveling pet, taking in the vast scenery.

Huh. Looks a bit old school to me but not too shabby. It’s weird that I don’t see any ponies walking around, though. I was hoping I could ask one of them where this Sugarcube Corner is.

He identified all the major landmarks within sight: a tree house library, the train station, a schoolhouse and a few barns by some rolling hills. Affixing the location’s name to all of these made no logical sense. Then, a mile away, Flying noticed a gingerbread house near a deserted marketplace.

Hmmmm. Maybe I should start my search there. The place does sound like some type of bakery.

After landing by the closed door, he moved his goggles to his neck area; he wouldn’t need them for a while. Flying tapped the wooden façade a few times, expecting somepony to answer his knocks. After a few seconds without an answer, he checked the windows in case the owners had closed the shop for lunch. He did find a sign by the closest window, but it said Open. Therefore, he touched the knob and lo and behold, the door moved inwards. Past the threshold was darkness, save for faint outlines of furniture.

“Should I go in, Leo?” he asked his passenger.

The turtle tapped his head once.

Flying took baby steps into the structure as he scanned for something resembling a switch. The moment he walked a few feet on what felt like wooden floorboards, all the lights illuminated at once, temporarily blinding the stallion with piercing glare. Just as his eyes recovered, a deafening noise pierced his eardrums.

“Sur-priseeeeeeeeeeeeee!”

He stumbled onto the floor, the two large saddlebags unlatching from its straps. Somehow, his pet stayed over his now-frizzy hair and kept an indifferent face unlike his jaw-dropped owner. A few dozen ponies of every color stood around him wearing celebratory hats. Streamers hung from every rafter, balloons peppered the ceiling and a banner hung just above his head reading Welcome Equestrian Weather Agent Pony! No doubt about it. This surprise party was for him but why and who organized it?

As he got onto all fours, piano music began playing except there was no such instrument within the vicinity that could generate that noise. Then, Pinkie Pie slid in front of him wearing a messy black wig, microphone in hoof for a rock song.

Welcome to Ponyville
We’ve got fun and games
We would like to welcome you here
Do you want to meet some friends?
Twilight, Rarity, Spike, Applejack
Many more to meet
If you believe in friendship
We got what you need
Welcome, welcome to Ponyville
Just watch and seeeeeeeee
We’re going to have some funnnnnnnn!
Yeahhhhh!

Flying’s eyelids twitched, unable to comprehend what just happened. Should he run? Should he stay? Who is this nutty pink pony in costume?

“Ummmm, hi?” he stuttered.

The revelers stomped their hooves in approval before heading to the nearby food and punch tables. They all understood proper protocol—Pinkie had first dibs on introductions. After tossing away her get-up, she shook Flying’s hoof with vigor.

“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie! I’m so excited to meet you! I’ve never met someone from the, uhmmm, the DOA? No wait! EPA, EPS, GPS?”

Now it made sense. This pony wrote the letter, so she must have set up the party! He felt more at ease, although the gesture was a little overboard. “Equestrian Weather Agency, but I just say EWA. Name’s Flying High.” He then pointed at the top of his head. “The little guy up here is Leo.”

She gazed at Leo with fascination, “Ooooooooooh! A turtle! When did you get him?”

“My dad gave him to me as a birthday gift. Said he would be good company for me, isn’t that right, Leo?”

The turtle nodded.

“Oh, oh, he should say hi to Gummy! He’s right over there and looks so excited to meet a new friend!”

She pointed to Gummy sitting a coffee table wearing little party hat, staring off into space with nary a blink.

“Here, I’ll let you introduce him, then.”

Flying reached for his pet, but the turtle rolled off his head and onto the ground. Pinkie reached down for a grab, unaware of Leo’s dodging skills.

“He’s a slippery turtle,” Pinkie remarked, adding a giggle at the end.

“Pink, here. Let me—”

Too late. Leo scurried into the crowds with Pinkie in hot pursuit. Based on where a few partygoers fell down, Pinkie had chased him through two-double doors marking the kitchen’s entrance.

In the meantime, Spike and Twilight walked toward the distracted stallion. The latter had her head buried in a book labeled Conversation Starters for Eggheads, Party Edition.

“Put it, away, Twilight,” Spike whispered. You don’t want him to see it, do ya?”

“One last page,” she murmured. With some levitation magic, she hid the tome below a table, making a mental note to pick it back up ASAP.

Twilight tapped the grey pony’s back.

“Huh?” Flying swiveled, facing his newcomers.

Flashing a welcoming smile, “Hello! My name is Twilight Sparkle and this is my assistant, Spike—”

“—The #1 Assistant to the smartest pony in Ponyville,” the dragon boasted.

“Spike!” Twilight reprimanded. “I already told you not to use that line!”

Spike shrugged. “What? I’m only saying the truth. There’s no harm in that, is there?”

Flying stifled a laugh, “Ah, let the little dude brag a bit. I’m Flying High. You mind if I call you Twi?”

She had to ponder on a witty comeback line – tip number sixty in that handy dandy guidebook. “You can call me Twi If I can call you Fly!”

Her assistant slapped his face; the impact painful as hearing Twilight’s stilted delivery.

The stallion didn’t seem to mind, though, accepting the arrangement with the unicorn mare via a hoof bump.

“Hey, big dude!” Spike raised his arm. “Don’t leave me hanging, bro!”

Flying easily obliged.

Twilight started at the ceiling, wondering if it was her turn in continuing the conversation. Then, she remembered a list of softball questions that any recipient could answer with ease. “So, where are from, Fly?”

“Born and raised in Cloudside,” Flying responded. “Kind of a dull place, really. All the happening stuff’s at the nearest earth pony beach but even that’s a few hours away by air.”

Good, good. Twilight already had a follow-up ready. “Cloudside? I know that’s the second largest cloud city in Equestria but isn’t that far away from here?”

He nodded. “Haven’t back there since my birthday four months ago. That’s when I got my turtle Leo.”

“A turtle?” Spike interjected, raising an eyebrow. “Seriously? You have a turtle as a pet?”

“Yeah, little dude. I bring him with me on every job. He’s—” Flying looked around the pony-crammed room “—Huh. Guess Pink’s is still chasing him around somewhere.”

Twilight went back to her list of questions, “So, is this your first time here?”

“Yeah, Twi. You see, my agency, EWA, has offices all over Equestria but I only transferred to this region about a month ago. I know I’ve been near here a few times but—” His stomach reminded him that he skipped breakfast this morning. “Oh, sorry. Um, think I can get a quick bite first?”

Standing a few feet away, Applejack overheard the conversation and immediately ran over to the group. She saw a potential new customer.

“Well, howdy, partner!” She squeezed his foreleg with a faint crunch. “Name’s Applejack! Pleasure to make your acquaintance!”

“Flying High,”, he answered with a slight falsetto. His tone returned once the mare released her grip. “Nice hoofshake, there. You’re a strong one, aren’t you?”

She tipped her Stetson, “Well, that’s mighty kind to say that, partner. You need a bit of work, though. You’re ain’t that strong for a stallion your size. No offense.”

He kept smiling, “None taken. You just took me by surprise.” His belly grumbled even louder for food.

Applejack had her opening for the sales pitch. “Say, I heard you were hungry and I have just what you need!” She wheeled in her apple cart that was standing flush against the nearby wall. “How ‘bout it? I gots myself apple fritter, apple twist, apple sauce, apple caramel, apple a la pony, apple surprise—”

“You don’t happen to have a simple apple pie, do you?” Flying hesitantly asked.

What a silly question. Does Applejack have apple pie? She pulled out the warmest one in her inventory, cuts already made through the crust. “Only the best apple pie in all of Equestria and dontcha let any other pony lead you astray! This one’s on the house!”

Flying grabbed a slice, gave it a sniff and then took a nibble.

Applejack waited for him to salivate over it, just like most of her customers. She even had a bucket ready just in case. Instead, he took a second bite sans any drama, then a larger third chomp. Nothing but munching sounds and the occasional lip smack, easily the tamest reaction ever witnessed.

“Oh.” The cowpony removed her hat, holding it over her chest. “I guess you don’t like it. Guess that’s a no sale.”

Flying swallowed the last bit of pie. “My bad, AJ. It’s pretty good, actually.”

Applejack placed back her Stetson. “No kiddin’, partner?” She then leaned closer with beady eyes. “Wait an apple-pickin’ minute! You ain’t just sayin’ that to make me feel betta, are ya?”

“No, no,” the grey pony stammered. “It’s the truth!”

The cowpony sighed, realizing she questioned his honesty. “Well, okay, then.”


He wiped his brow, no longer afraid of a possible bucking. “Yeah, it’s just that don’t usually eat this type of apple pie but you know who would get a kick out this, though? My big brother! He loves pies!”

“Oh, is he here by any chance?” Applejack checked the crowds like a watcher at sea for a pony that might be his larger sibling.

Flying shook his head. “His job requires a lot of travel.”

“Oh.” She then clasped her hooves together. “Well, how ‘bout tellin’ me where he lives? Least I could do is hook him up with—”

Applejack stopped, picking up a rustling sound to her left. Swiveling that direction, “What in the hay are you doing, Rarity?”

There she was, the fashionista unicorn levitating a dull green suit in front her. Rarity had noticed a sleeve hanging out from one of Flying’s large saddlebags, so naturally, curiosity brought her over for an unannounced wardrobe critique. She was swift with it too, beating the stallion’s inquiry on her purpose being here.

“Oh, Darling!” Rarity spoke, adding a tsk-tsk at the end. “Do you actually have to wear this… thing? This doesn’t fit you at all and it looks so tacky and dreary.”

“Huh?” Flying noticed the others examining the suit with curiosity. “That’s just a work suit and besides, that one’s not for me. Mine’s in the other bag.” He slapped his forehead for bad manners. “Oh, sorry!” Flying extended his foreleg. “Name’s Flying High.”

Miss Rarity,” she replied with a delicate hoofshake. “My apologies, Mister High, but whoever made this is a sub-par tailor.” Rarity touched the seams inside the olive wardrobe, “I presume this is one of those suits that stretches and expands to the pony wearing it?”

“Yes, ma’am. It’s a one size fits all version in case we don’t know the pony’s exact body shape. The other one’s already been fitted for me.”

“I see.” An idea suddenly materialized, announced by Rarity’s gasp. “Say, I have a proposal for you if you’re willing to listen.”

Flying nodded.

“You see,” Rarity continued, “I just happen to be the proprietor of the local Boutique. If I can just figure out the particulars of the suit’s composition, I can make it a perfect fit for Rainbow Dash. It might be ghastly but the least I can do for her is to make it comfortable.”

What luck! That same idea floated around his mind after hearing another agent doing something similar on a different assignment. “Oh, well, thanks, Rarity! I was hoping that I could find somepony to do an alteration around these parts. I’ll go tell Pink P to meet you—”

His mind sprung a gear. Why didn’t he notice from the onset that Pinkie Pie lacked wings? It was a simple brain lapse but what had activated his sweat glands was the other name Rarity mentioned, that pony.

“Wait.” His lips trembled, unable to parse. “R–R–Rainbow Dash?”

“Let me explain,” Twilight merrily interjected. “Pinkie Pie wrote the letter to set up the party but it’s actually Rainbow Dash who will be working for you. She’s—” The unicorn gritted her teeth. She knew what was coming but promised Rainbow that she wouldn’t spoil the surprise. “She’s… running a little bit late.”

It couldn’t be her, Flying thought. He just had to ask everyone around him to be certain. “So, Rainbow Dash. Purple eyes? Rainbow colored hair?”

Twilight said in confidence, “That would be correct.”

His heartbeat lost all rhythm. “A tomboy that wants everything to be cool? Blunt?”

“Oh, yes,” added Rarity in an almost critical tone. “While she is my friend and I truly care about her, she can be quite rude and simply lacks proper etiquette.”

A lump went down his neck. “Strong and competitive?”

“And how!” Applejack answered, finishing with a headshake. “Sometimes, that girl doesn’t know when to stop.”

In a squeaky voice, “You mean she lives around here now?”

“You got it!” Spike responded.

Flying covered his eyes, his head shaking while muttering whiny gibberish.

Those around him wondered what in Equestria was wrong with their guest. Twilight stepped forward, believing it her role to ask on behalf of the group. “What’s wrong, Fly? Have you met Rainbow before or something?”

He’d rather bang his head onto the nearby wall than answer that question but other choice did he have? While he kept this can of worms shut far longer than he thought possible, there was no point picking up the pieces when these ponies (and dragon) had already seen them. Then again, Flying could just stick to the basics and hope that placates them.

“My bad, every pony,” he said, his tone docile. “I should clear the sky for all of you. You see, Rainbow and I met someplace a long time ago, back when we were young. We were good friends but then—” Flying’s head went limp – “we had a big fight, so were, um, not… friends anymore.”

On cue, the gathered gasped as though they heard the worst possible thing.

“So… yeah,” Flying added, frowning. “I don’t think she would want to see me.”

Twilight placed a hoof on his back. “Fly, I know we’ve just met but if you want to talk it out, we’ll be happy to listen. You see, we’re all good friends with Rainbow, so maybe we could help. Right, guys?”

All her friends audibly agreed.

A generous offer, the stallion thought, except he just met these ponies. How could he simply trust them unequivocally, especially if they all knew Rainbow Dash? What would stop them from siding against him? “Well, Twi, I… well—”

Before he could continue, a polite cough gave him a welcome distraction. It came from a mare whose pink mane obscured some of her face. “Umm, excuse me. I’m so sorry to interrupt every pony but I need to find the agent.”

Twilight responded, “Oh, he’s right here. Fluttershy, this is Flying High.”

Flying hid is trepidation behind a smile, “Nice to meet you, ‘Shy.”

“Oh, nice to meet you. I–I need to tell you something.”

His eyebrow rose, curious on what this was and why she was being so soft-spoken. “Um, okay. Go for it.”

“Oh, thank you so much.” She cleared her throat. “I, Fluttershy, would like to announce, proudly, announce, the triumphant… triumphant arrival… oh, I’m so nervous! I wrote this down somewhere.”

Twilight’s eyes shrank to mere dots. Grabbing her friend, “No, wait! Fluttershy! Stop!”

Trembling, “Did I do something wrong, Twilight?”

“Yes! I mean, no!” Twilight bopped her head. “Ugh, look! No time to explain! You have to go outside and tell—”

Suddenly, screams erupted by the ponies closest to the exit. A few tripped as they moved away from the threshold while others pointed at a cyan bullet coming straight at them, its deafening wail unmistakable to the ear.

“Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Rainbow Dash zipped inside Sugarcube Corner, knocking down every pony in her path without losing momentum. Her wing then snagged onto the hanging banner, sending her into an uncontrollable spin. Now a moving saw of doom, she sliced clean through five support columns before destroying the double doors and entering the kitchen. The moment she left, parts of the ceiling rained down on the party and its guests, its aims set for maximum destruction. Tables upended, balloons popped, punch and food took flight and mixed in with the scattering decorations. Endless dust flooded the room, as did panicked yells but the latter ceased moments once their lungs could no longer tolerate all the air pollutants.

A few seconds later, the floating brown pathogens began dissipating, first around Fluttershy who cowered in the middle of the room. She allowed a peek through her hooves, realizing that other than some crumbs on her coat, fate had saved her from any real harm. Better yet, Fluttershy noticed a batter-covered turtle scurrying out of the kitchen with a similarly messy Pinkie leaping for him.

With her animal loving instincts kicking in, Fluttershy rushed for a hug, unaware of the turtle’s snappy movements. Leo spun around on its shell, avoiding her stretched out hooves once but not twice.
“You’re such a cute and happy little turtle,” Fluttershy cooed. “Oh, but look at all the grime on you!” Let me clean you up, my little friend!”

Fluttershy flew into the kitchen, bypassing a stunned Pinkie Pie with nary a hello. The party pony crossed her hooves but for different reasons.

“I missed the food fight!” she moaned. “You ponies had all the fun without me!”

Then, some nearby rubble shifted, its pinned victim identified by her orange coat and blonde tail. With a hefty tug, Pinkie pulled out Applejack with a baseball-sized lump on her head. Out of nowhere, she pulled out a small paper fan and began waving some fresh air.

“Whoooooo let the cows out, B–Big Mmm… mmaccccintosh?” the cowpony blubbered, stars revolving around her injury.

Meanwhile, the daredevil mare descended from one of the gaping holes on the roof. Other than a slightly bruised foreleg thanks to creating a secondary kitchen exit, the only other injury was her pride. That entrance wasn’t in her top five but she had to ask her adoring fans on their opinions, just in case.

Much to her alarm, she found no admirers within Sugarcube Corner. In fact, the ponies emerging from the rubble had their smiles going the wrong direction. A few of them even started shaking their hooves at her, muttering some choice words. Even so, she had to finish the routine by greeting the crowd. Rainbow was a future Wonderbolt, after all, albeit a nervous one.

Spreading wide her hooves bearing a sheepish grin, “Ummm, ta-daaaaaaaaahhhh?”

Instead of applause, squished fruit flew her way, with a banana hitting her face.

“Hey!” she snorted. “If anything, you should be thanking me I don’t charge for my performances!”

The crowds began moving toward the exit while continuing to hurl insults and food at the crash-prone mare. What none of them noticed was that some trapped partygoers struggled pushing off a table weighed down by an upstairs sofa. Then, a purplish glow enveloped both items and with a magic burst, Twilight pushed the items aside.

“Whew!” The bookworm wiped her brow. “There we go.” Checking behind her, “Are all of you… ahhhh!”

Nothing was wrong with Rarity, save for a few bits of plaster embedded within her lustrous mane. What startled Twilight appeared to be a blob monster but in reality, it was Flying High covered from head to hoof in spaghetti, chocolate fudge, and just above everything else on today’s menu. More so, a lumpy object protruded from his back, at least she thought that until it began moving on its own. Some of the gunk slid off, allowing dragon scales to appear.

Spike?” Twilight spoke, her jaw stretching downwards.

Flying wriggled his behind and with a snap, Spike rolled onto the floor where he continued like a bowling bowl until he struck diamonds, Rarity’s front hoof.

Rarity yelped. “You’re dirty! Get off! Get off!” She tried shaking him off but Twilight’s assistant had stuck to her like glue, much to the dragon’s sheer delight. A violet aura then enveloped him, its caster straining for a tug.

“No good,” Twilight bemoaned. “He’s on too tight. Try shaking him off again later, Rarity.”

At the same time, Rainbow flapped their way, recognizing what she believed were a friendlier group, her friends and somepony impersonating a melting wax figure. Maybe they will shower her with praise instead of fruit. “Hey guys! So, what did you think of my newest entrance?”

Hair sprung out from Twilight’s hair. “What do we think?” Raising her voice, “You did something totally reckless, even after I told you it was a bad idea from the beginning and not only did you ruin the party for everypony, you’ve made a complete mess!” She pointed directly at Flying, who immediately shook his head. “That and you got our guest of honor completely dirty so you need to—”

“Blah, blah, blah”, Rainbow responded, bored by the scolding. “You don’t need to lecture me every time I do something like this. I’ve learned my lesson.” Under her breath, “I won’t tell you my plans next time.”

She landed next to Flying, still oblivious to his identity with all that liquid brown oozing all over him.

“So, you’re the agent, huh? Now, before you say anything, I was trying a brand new entrance. Just a few bugs to work out. Oh, I’m Rainbow Dash but I’m sure you already know who I am, being famous and all. And you are?”

Time to speak and based on how loose the sweet-scented material felt over Flying’s lips, he could do just that. He didn’t want to go that route; acting out a voice other than his surfer twang was not in his skill set. Running away sounded great except his gooey cover would shed off with any sudden movements.

“Ummm, you okay there?” asked Rainbow, puzzled by his silence.

Flying’s eyes darted in both directions, hoping that would signal Twilight and Rarity to intervene.

They never had a chance. Pinkie, still fanning Applejack, beat them to the punch.

“He’s probably just nervous to meet you!” she hollered in a cheerful voice. “He’s Flying High from… somewhere, but I’m going to call him Fly-Fly!”

The unicorn duo facehoofed. They should’ve know Pinkie would ruin everything and yet, they let it happen unimpeded.

As for Flying, that path leading outside beckoned, as the swaying door suddenly fell off its hinges. On the other hoof, he was here for the assignment and Rainbow Dash was her partner. He just had to say something at some point less he shirk his responsibilities and disappoint his superior. To his mild surprise, she spoke first.

“Oh, it’s ummm, you, Flying,” she stammered, avoiding direct eye contact at all costs. “Hi?”

A good start, no hostility in her tone. Flying rubbed some gunk off his mouth and then did the same to his hair. “Yeah, long time no see.” His nervousness increased with each word, “I, um, I–I guess we have to work with each other, I… I guess, huh?”

Twilight and Rarity winced at the awkwardness permeating from the two pegasi. Spike continued enjoying paradise clinging onto Rarity’s hoof. On the other side of the room, Pinkie munched on a bag of popcorn, eagerly awaiting the next sentence while Applejack had lost too many marbles to focus on anything.

Fifteen long seconds later, Rainbow broke the silence.

“Listen, I need to go… somewhere right now so how about telling me the plan.”

“The plan?” Flying parroted.

Rainbow moaned softly. “You know, what we have to do?”

“Oh. Oh!” He hadn’t thought that far ahead, so he’d have to make it up on the fly. “Yeah, well, um, let’s see. Hmmmm. Okay. Rarity was kind enough to properly fit you into the work suit you’ll wear for the job so—” Flying looked at Rarity’s direction, hoping for some guidance.

Rarity fought for a small smile, “Yes, um, Rainbow. I’ll need you to stop by the Boutique for some measurements. I think I can squeeze you in at sundown today if that’s okay, darling.”

Rainbow slowly nodded.

“Thanks, Rarity.” All this talk about work helped relax his nerves. “Ok, the job will start tomorrow two hours after sundown. We might be up for much of the night, so catch some z’s during the day. We can meet up at, um—”

“The Library!” Twilight interjected. “It’s the big tree in town, Fly.”

Flying delivered a quick aviator salute, the sudden motion leaving more chocolate-stained splatters on the floorboards.

Rainbow replied with a quiet, “Okay.”

He glanced at the closest, open saddlebag. Thankfully, not only were the contents inside clean, Rainbow’s suit lay over below a piece of ceiling, wrinkled but intact. Flying began reaching for it but stopped, realizing that his slimy foreleg wasn’t suited for the job.

Without a word, Rarity’s horn did all the work from a hearty shake of the suit to zipping up the bag and handing it over to Rainbow who spared no time strapping it onto her side.

Flying thanked Rarity again, and then focused again on his future partner. “There’s some instructions inside. It should explain all you need to know about using the suit.”

“Mhm.” She found comfort making circles on the floor with her front hoof. “So… we’re done? Can I go?”

They were, at least regarding the job itself. As for personal matters, they haven’t even scratched the surface. Based on how often Rainbow checked the exit, it would stay that way unless he mustered the courage to bring it up himself.

He had none, especially with spectators around him.

“Yeah,” he responded, sounding like a defeated opponent. “I’ll leave after the job is done. Can you fly with that?”

Flying expected his former friend to disappear in a flash and yet, she continued standing there as though some mysterious force held her in place. More so, she even made eye contact for a brief second and yet, it seemed an eternity to him. Something in those magenta pearls defied his expectations, a twinge of sadness rather than deep-rooted ire about his very presence. They were calling out to him, a sign that maybe, just maybe there was hope.

“Rainbow?” he started, taking a step her way. “I—”

“Sounds like a plan,” she answered, maneuvering around the stallion in haste. “I gotta go.”

He reached out to her but it was no good. Rainbow ran over the fallen door, sparing no time in spreading her wings and leaving the area at maximum speed. Much like her multi-hued contrails, his short-lived optimism faded into nothingness.

At the same time, Fluttershy entered the large room with a sparkly clean Leo on hoof. Whatever delight she had helping a small animal evaporated when she sensed the somber vibes. Directly ahead, her two unicorn friends kept their heads down as though something terrible had happened while closer to the main exit, a pony-shaped goo blob stared into the horizon. To her left, Pinkie Pie fanned a semi-conscious Applejack with a popcorn bag, seemingly unaware or uncaring of the building’s overall condition. Fruit punch rivers trickled across the floor, picking up torn party decorations along the way. What had been support beams stretching from floor to ceiling were now half their size, its missing portions lost among the scattered tables and splintered wood.

“Oh my,” whispered Fluttershy, cupping her mouth. “Oh, the Cakes will be so unhappy when they come back from vacation.”

Unaware of Fluttershy’s arrival, Flying turned back around to address Twilight and Rarity. For all the disappointment he just suffered, the last thing he wanted was showing that out in the open. With all his might, he pushed his problems into a dark corner and put on an unconvincing smile.

“Don’t worry about that. We’ll get the job done—” His voice lowered a few octaves —“somehow.” At that moment, some sludge his hindquarters slid off, landing on the floor with a distinct plop. Blood rushed to his cheeks, prompting a nervous chuckle. “Oops. Guess I need to clean myself up first.”

Rarity nodded in agreement. “I can take you to the Spa, dear. I need to go there myself so I can—” She rattled her foreleg once and finally, Spike wobbled onto the floor like a football —“get my hoof cleaned.”

“That will work. Now I just need to find my turtle, Leo.”

Instantly, Fluttershy’s ears folded for she realized that this small reptile had an owner. She fluttered his way, saying, “I’m so sorry. I didn’t know he was your pet. I just found him all dirty and I just had to give him a wash.”

“That’s okay,” the stallion calmly replied. “I’d take him back but um…” He stuck out his dripping foreleg. “Yeah, I’d rather not.”

“Um, if it’s all right with you, I can take care of him. You see, I’m really good with animals.”

Flying raised an eyebrow. “Um, are you sure? Not that I’m grateful but Leo can be a bit of a troublemaker.”

Fluttershy held up the smiling turtle, “Aw, he doesn’t look a troublemaker to me. Don’t worry. I’ll take good care of him and he’ll have so much fun with all my other animal friends. Pretty please?”

The stallion had no good reason to decline. After all, it was better than the alternative, leaving him by a nearby pond and then spending hours trying to find him. “He’s all yours, then.”

She hugged Leo onto her chest, her mind already conjuring fun activities.

With a brief sigh, Flying turned his focus back to the two unicorns. “Sorry if I caused a scene. I wasn’t expecting for Rainbow to be here, you know?”

“It’s all right,” Twilight responded. “We just don’t understand what’s going on. Like I said, we want to help you.”

His eyelids fell halfway down in contemplation. “Well, I… Twi? Let me sit on that for a bit, okay?”

“I understand.”

Twilight stood silent as Rarity escorted Flying through the threshold and outside Sugarcube Corner. Once out of sight, she rubbed her chin, her mind deep in thought.

Friends that aren’t friends anymore? What in the world happened between those two? Should we even try to find out? We really need to be careful about this one or we’ll just make things worse.

After a huff, she began issuing orders to the remaining individuals in the building, “Fluttershy, take really good care of Leo. He’ll be one less thing for Fly to worry about.”

Fluttershy nodded in approval.

“Spike, go to the Spa and keep Fly company. Spike?” Twilight found him flat on the floor with heart bubbles floating over his head. With a stomp, “Spike! Did you hear one word I said?”

He stood onto his small feet, unfazed by the unicorn’s outburst. “Oh, what did you say, Twilight?” he mumbled with a wide smile.

“Ugh! Hang out with Fly while he’s in Ponyville!” Pointing at the exit, “Go and catch up to him! You need a bath too!”

Spike giggled. “Um, okay.” He staggered through the doorway, leaving behind mushy brown paw prints.

Twilight shook her head. “What a mess! All right. Applejack, Pinkie, let’s start by wiping down the… huh?”

There was no point asking for their help. Pinkie now had her Stetson on hoof as a makeshift fan for Applejack. At least the cowpony was breathing but based on that large bump on her head, she needed somepony to check that.

“Pinkie, take her to Nurse Redheart. Guess I’m stuck cleaning up all by myself, again.”

Twilight scanned what was left of the room that had hosted a party before bedlam erupted. While she had a few spells that could repair the mess here, no magic could fix what she believed was a broken friendship.