• Published 23rd Sep 2013
  • 711 Views, 7 Comments

Story Of An Alicorn: Luna's Nightmare - Applepip

  • ...
1
 7
 711

Unexpected change

Saw continued to lead Valder and Luna down various side roads and lanes, until the three came to a small building coloured in a drab grey. Saw walked up to the brown door nestled in a small alcove in the front wall. She knocks twice, three primary knocks; followed by 2 quick knocks.

“Who is it?” A gruff voice sounds from within.

“Cutter, Jr!” Saw replies.

The brown door slowly opens. A brown stallion peeks between the small gap he created.

“Saw!” The stallion throws open the door embracing Saw in a tight hug.

“Hi, uncle!” Saw manages to say, gasping for air.

“I haven't seem you in days! We thought you went out on one of those scouting trips.”

“No uncle, father would never let me go!” Saw says with a huff.

“And rightfully he should!” He states back. “Oh, and who are these two?” He asks, finally noticing Valder and Luna.

“They are friends come to hide, until things blow over that is!”

“I'm afraid they can't stay here! Saw, we already have too many here as it is!” He answers.

Valder steps forward, bowing before Saw's uncle.

“Greetings sir! I know you have your hooves full and me and my daughter would hate to be a bother to you! But maybe we could pay our way some how? Help with supply runs, even taking care of little ones.”

“I'm sorry! We just don't have the room, Cutter, this war will be the end of this town; you know this!” Saw's uncle states looking back to her.

“I...I,” Saw looks to the ground.

“Then may your ancestors shine down on you!” Luna says walking away.

“Luna!” Valder shouts following after her. “What was that about?”

“Father, those ponies had more than enough to worry about than us! And besides If they couldn't help us, then there's no point in arguing!” Luna states turning and facing Valder.

“The only people left in this town is the militia then,” Valder says.

“Then we find Cutters father and help him, and judging by how me and Celestia found this town after the main battle; they are going to need all the help they can get!”


/~~~~~~~~~~~~\

“This. is. it!”

“I'm sorry sir! These are the only ponies that stayed!”

“But there's barely thirty of them!” Wood Cutter states over looking the main town square.

“They are all dedicated, sir!”

“Fine. Lets go inspect them then.”

Wood Cutter walks down the stairs leading out of the town's main public building. As he approaches the first line of town militia, he notices some are very nervous and are struggling to hide it.

“Mares and Gentlecolts!” The three lines of militia straighten. “By now all of you have heard the rumours of the two armies converging on Erlincolt, I won't lie; they are true!” Multiple whispers are heard from the militias ranks. “But I am not scared! I vowed to defend this town with my life, and by the ancestors; I meant it!”

Wood Cutter begins to explain what the town charter means, he continues to explain how the town's heraldry is more than just a flag. As he gets to the towns local anthem, an armoured stallion runs up to him panic stricken.

“Sir! We have a problem!”

“What is it? I am quite busy here!” Wood replies with slight anger at being interrupted.

“There's an emissary, to see you sir!”

“Who is it?” Wood asks.

“Sir! It's Princess Celestia herself!”

All the ranks of the militia gasp out in surprise. Wood Cutter just stands there, a look of fear on his face.

“Understood!” He finally says, calming his expression. “Go back to your post and I'll handle it!” The stallion salutes, to which Wood responds in kind. “My friend, see to the militia and hand out assignments; the battle maybe closer than we thought!”

“Yes sir!” The stallion next to Cutter salutes.

Wood Cutter trots off to the main gate now covered in a large barricade, when he reaches it he climbs the makeshift stairwell and looks over the edge.

“Who goes there!?” He shouts.

A Large white pony, dwarfing even the guards next to the bright white carriage at his gate; appears to him.

“I would have expected more of a welcome from Wood Cutter, the leader of this town.” Her tone regal in every way.

“Princess Celestia! How nice of you to grace us with your presence!” Wood Cutter bows.

“Well? Are you going to let me in or not?” Celestia raises her eyebrow.

“Of course!” Wood turns to the gate guards, “Open the gates!”

After nearly a minute of groaning the gates open, allowing Celestia and her entourage to enter.

“I am sorry princess, you can't be too careful these days!” Wood apologises stepping down from the platform near the gate.

“I understand Mr Cutter, the area is not safe as of late.”

“It seems you know me a great deal princess?”

“Yes, I also knew your father! Tree Cutter.”

“My father?” Wood seems to be taken aback by this information.

“Of coarse! I met him several times but he never knew me, I had to keep disguised; so my true form was never revealed.” Celestia replies.

“We should go to my office, there we can talk more: do your guards need anything?”

“They have supplies in the carriage, enough to last our trip.”

“Very well, follow me princess.” Wood Cutter gestures with a slight bow, towards the main square.


/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\


Valder and Luna had left Saw behind to finalise some things with her uncle, they had crossed back into town and headed for the main square; hopefully to offer assistance to the town militia.

“Father?” Luna says not looking towards Valder.

“What is it Luna?” Valder looks down to her and notices the sad look in her eye's.

“Did you ever, miss me?” Luna continues to look forward.

Valder stops to think about Luna's question, many times he has asked himself the same thing. Every time he does though, only one question remains; just how much of Luna and Celestias lives did he miss as Darkside?

“I can't answer that!” Luna stops and turns.

“But why not?” Luna steps towards Valder, “I think I deserve an answer!”

Valder looks away. Thinking that maybe now is not the right time to tell Luna the truth.

“Luna,” Valder feels the sorrow and pain well inside him. “I can't tell you because I...I don't know myself, I never could!”

“But why? Father!”

“Because that part of me, I never want to see again!” Valder pulled back, sensing his outburst was more anger filled than he wanted it to sound.

Valder stared into Luna's eyes, the hurt of not knowing her mother, the pain of seeing the countless atrocities he committed as Darkside; It was all too much for him to bare.

“Luna I think you should go back to Saw,” Valders dameanor changed, only one thing now settled on his mind.

“No! I want to fight with you!” Luna shouts back.

“Don't fight me on this! I can't risk losing you; not again!” Valder forces his emotions down.

“Father I...” Luna sees the light resurfacing in Valder's eyes. “Fine!” Luna finally gives in, “just come back safely, OK?”

Valder just nods. He stays, still watching Luna walk out of sight; back the way they came.

“I'm sorry, Luna! But there are things I can't tell you yet!” Valder thinks as he gallops towards the town centre.

/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\


Luna arrives back at the house Saw's uncle resided. She collects herself, steadying her breathing before knocking on the door. To her surprise it was Saw who answered.

“Luna! What are you doing back here?” Saw asks, her surprise evident.

“It's along story Saw, may I come in?”

“Of coarse, sorry it's just abit chaotic in here.” Saw replies.

“Is there anything I can help with?” Luna asks.

Saw ponders for a second, then gestures towards a large area to the side. As Luna enters, Saw's uncle and another pony are trying to repair a broken mangler.

“Broken piece of junk!” Saw's uncle states, hitting the mangler with a hammer.

“Uncle!” Saw says, causing the two ponies to look up.

“Luna, nice to see you again! I hope my attitude wasn't too brash last time, we are all under a lot of stress lately.”

“I take no offence, I understand.” Luna replies.

Saw walks over to the mangler, giving it a quick kick.

“Uncle, you're still not trying to repair this old thing are you?”

“My dear, this mangler has been in the family for two hundred years!” Saw's uncle gives the mangler a tap with his hoof. “And by my fathers ghost, I'll get this thing working!”

Luna now approaches the group.

“Excuse me? I might no how to repair it!” Saw's uncle gives Luna a look.

“You think you can fix this thing?”

“Yes, If my memory serves me correct this is an...Eggleton 5?” Luna asks.

“Yes, how did you know?”

“I had an uncle once, he was quite a antique repair pony before he past away.” Luna replies, hopeful they couldn't detect the lie.

“Well if you think you can, be my guest!” Saw's uncle states, gesturing Luna forward.

Luna walks to the mangler, looking over every inch of it.

“Ah! I think I might know the problem.” Luna gestures to the two large rollers. “See these rollers, they need to be replaced; their seized up.”

Saw's uncle looks at the rollers and indeed the ends are rusted tight.

“Well I’ll be damned, thank you Luna; how did we not noticed that before!”

“Well you are very busy! Maybe you just needed another pair of eye's.” Luna replies with a smile.

“Thank you anyway, Oh my I didn't introduce myself earlier.” Saw's uncle washes off his hooves. “My name is Clear Cutter.”

Luna touches his outstretched hoof.

“Nice to finally know you Mr Clear Cutter,” Luna says.

“You helped me, now let me help you!”

“Help me, I don't understand!” Luna replies.

“You and your father is it? You want to help in town, I can give you locations of ponies requiring help; if you wish?” Clear Cutter says.

“Well, My father just went to join the militia!”

“What!?” Both Saw and Clear shout.

“Yeah, my father said that the only ponies left to help is the militia.” Luna states.

“But the militia, even my father wouldn't take a complete stranger; even if they needed help!” Saw says.

“Well, my father is no stranger to combat he was head of our villages personal guard unit.” Luna responds.

“Really? Why didn't you mention it?” Saw asks.

“Guess at that time you never asked but now...” Luna shrugs.

“I just hope my brother accepts, by the ancestors; the militia needs it!” Clear Cutter states.


/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\


Valder walks back to the town centre, taking longer than it should. He thinks about what Luna asked him, but shakes it from his mind; When the time is right, Luna will get the truth but not now!

Valder finally reaches the town square, upon seeing the militia he heads to what looks like the guy in charge.

“Are you the one in charge here?” Valder asks the pony.

The pony turns around, and recognises Valder.

“Mister Valder, What are you doing here?” The pony asks.

“I've come to join the militia, if you'll have me?” Valder gives a slight nod.

“I can't make that decision, but Elder Cutter can!”

“What's your name?” Valder asks.

“Maximus, Lt Maximus.”

“Well, Lieutenant; where is Mr Cutter?” Valder looks around.

“He has an important guest, and cannot be disturbed at this time!”

“Damn, then maybe you can give me something; at least until he comes back.” Valder responds.

“But why? Don't you have a daughter to think about?” Maximus asks.

“I do, but she's an adult now, able to make her own decisions.”

“Very well, I do need somepony to back up the front gate; maybe you can be that pony?”

“Of course! I am no stranger to guard duty!” Valder replies.

“Oh, you used to be guard?” Maximus asks, looking surprised.

“Not army, no! But I was my home villages senior militia guard.”

“Oh really, then you should have my job!” Maximus chuckles.

“You doing a grand enough job as it is!” Valder replies with a smile.

Maximus gives Valder a small piece of paper telling the guards at the gate that he is a temporary replacement.

“Just show that and the guards will except you!”

“Thanks, Lieutenant!” Valder says with a salute.

“No problem Valder, see you soon!” Maximus replies with a salute of his own.

Valder heads to the main gate of town, but before he gets there he spots the white carriage.

'Is that a royal carriage?' Valder thinks as he passes it.

At that moment something happened, either it was Darkside or Nightmare Moon but Valders reflection changed. It wasn't the pegasis from before but now he was himself, in all his white alicorn glory.


/~~~~~~~~~~~~~\


Darkside sat watching Valder's progress with a smile on his face.

'You can't change fate, Valder; you will die!' Darkside thinks to himself.

“What's so funny, my love?” Nightmare Moon asks from behind him.

Darkside just realised he was laughing.

“Nothing my dear, just seeing how our bodies are doing!”

“So, have they died yet?” Nightmare asks taking a place next to Darkside.

“No,” Darkside smiles. “But they will soon! The armies will arrive soon and then, the true fun can begin!”

“Wait!” Nightmare shouts, Darkside notices what Nightmare has seen.

“How! This is impossible!” Darkside now stares into the reflection mirror. “How did he change!?”

“Maybe we should-” Nightmare was cut short by Darkside.

“No!” Darkside places his front hoof on Nightmares shoulder, “Let him have this one; besides, It might be amusing!”

/~~~~~~~~~~~~\


Valder just stands there, unable to comprehend what has happened.

'I have my body back, my true body!' Valder says in his head.

“Princess Celestia, did your meeting go well?” Valder stiffens, it was one of the guards from the carriage. “Princess?”

Valder turns around, the guard backs away in shock.

“Y-Your not the princess!” The guard now clearly panicking.

“Um, no! Just don't say-,” before Valder could finish; the guard blew a small horn from under his armour. “-anything!” Valder facehoofs.

The remaining guards from the carriage and several town militia come running, all brandishing weapons of multiple types. That is not the thing that worried him the most though, because right at that moment a familiar princess came to see what's going on; Elder Cutter by her side.

“What's going on here?” Celestia asks her guard.

“Princess, we have caught a pony; but you may want to brace yourself!”

“Non-sense, what could this pony possibly be!” Celestia answers walking passed the guard to the crowd of ponies.

Celestia walks toward the guards and militiamen, as they part she is greeted with a harrowing sight.
Both Valder and Celestia catch each others eye's.

“OH, BUCK!” They both say in unison.