• Published 5th Feb 2014
  • 346 Views, 0 Comments

Bring the Thunder - Ze Guest



Alright, so basically I get knocked up, brought back to health, struck by lightning and now I have to go on a stupid quest. Go figure.

  • ...
 0
 346

28: Ashes, ashes

The walk through the Everfree Forest was certainly an interesting experience.

"Is that a wolf or a tree?!" I shouted being chased by either a wolf or a tree.

"It's a Timber Wolf! It's both!" Twilight said trying to keep the wolf from eating me.

"Are you kidding me?!"

Yeah- you can certainly say it was interesting. I'm glad I'm alive. Or am I? I don't know, I'm still kind of indifferent about the whole thing. I've have my moments on both sides of the spectrum. One more than the other. I'm sure you know what side I'm talking about.

So anyway, we dealt with a lot. But the only thing that was driving us closer to the tree was the fact that this is just so close to ending. That's all I want, really. Just finish this and I'll be on my own way. I'll travel the world again. Maybe I'll stop by Ponyville once or twice a year. They have grown some sentimental value on me. But what if I settled in...? No, I can't. It's not time yet. And how am I going to build a stable life in the town anyway? That, I don't know. "So where exactly is this tree? I hope you know where you're going." I said feeling a little worried.

"Don't worry, I know where to go," Twilight said. "I've been there before. You'll know when we're there." I felt as if we were just walking obliviously through a fairly dangerous forest with wooden wolves and plants that are about fifteen times larger than you that breath some kind of toxic gas and has a very... suggestive look.

In the meantime, I asked Neon a question. "Hay Neon? I was wondering, why you were trying to hid from that dragon thing. Discord. What was going on?"

Neon didn't answer for a little bit, then spoke up. "That's what the cult used to worship. I don't know why he didn't know who I was, though."

I shrugged. "Well, he has taken a liking of you. He didn't seem like he wanted to kill you." Neon didn't answer to that whatsoever. I just dropped the whole thing.

I was wondering what the tree would look like. Would it look like some kind of generic tree? Or not? I wanted to ask someone but I also wanted to see it for my self. It might not look like a regular tree considering the fact that it grew actual, rock hard gems. But hay! Fricking magic! You never really know what it does.

Sooner than I expected, we were walking straight for some old, broken down castle. Now, I could tell that it was old, but who's idea was it to put the thing in the middle of the woods? Seriously, first of all, who would want to go there if hey knew they could get eaten whole when you're fifteen feet away from it. Makes no sense. Maybe that's why they moved it.

Applejack flung her hoof out and stopped me from moving any further. "Be quiet." She said.

I looked around and it didn't take me long. And the truth was, it made happy and upset at the same time. The entire place was crawling with guards, Malice's guards to be specific. But now we knew we were at the right place. This place was packed! There were about twenty guards on the bridge leading to the broken down castle and the ravine was just full of them.

"That's where the Tree of Harmony is." Twilight said pointing to the ravine.

"One quick question," Rainbow Dash said. "How do you expect us to get in there?"

Twilight stroked her chin, thinking. I thought for myself, too. As I was in thought, who else but Astheno pecked me on the head. "Ah! What the hell?" I asked, keeping my voice low. "You know, we need more positive reinforcement for you! You can't just waltz around, injuring ponies!"

She wouldn't stop. She pecked again, and again, and again. Why? Was she trying to help. I would like it if she could be more specific. "What?! What do you want me to do?!" I asked, vexed.

Astheno landed on my hoof and pecked it. Now I was pretty damn pissed. Obviously, I wasn't getting it. And so, Astheno stopped with the beak rape. She turned around and looked at the sky. As you would have guessed, I did too. We sat there, staring at the sky for about three minuets. Nothing.

I was going to go on and think about something else, but just before I looked away, A huge lightning bolt cracked in the sky. It took me a moment to figure it out, of course, but I think I got it. My weird-ass power! How could I for get? "You want me to use lightning?" I asked Astheno.

She chirped and hopped in a very bird-like way. This obviously meant yes. I guess it made sense. Metal is a conductor so it would be easy to kill the guards in the single strike. But, how would I be able to do it? All I can make is a little buzz and a few sparks. Nothing too impressive. And besides, there were just ponies being put against their will to do something they, otherwise, would never do.

But, I had to do it. If I didn't, they would find us and kill us. I have to just kill them. Come on! What ever happened to that killer instinct you had? I gave that! It's gone. I'll live a thousand years and never kill an innocent soul again. But you were fearless! Every-pony was afraid of you! Now look at you! Do it! But, they did nothing. I don't care! If you don't do something, they will! There's no other choice! It's a dog-eat-dog world! Kill or be killed. It'll always be that way!

I was inching closer to the ravine, still fighting the voices in my head. The bushes and trees marked at far as I could go. I could see a good portion of the ravine. I saw six guards in front of this huge crystal looking thing with outcroppings- no, branches. That must be it. The Tree of Harmony. "Volt! What are you doing?" Twilight had snuck up behind me.

I didn't reply. I just kept my head low while still watching the guards. I waved Twilight away. I needed to concentrate. Hard. Twilight wouldn't go away, though. "Twilight," I said.

"Yeah?" she asked.

"I need you to back up. Understand?"

Twilight looked at me for a second. Just looking at me. And she backed up. I kept my eyes on one guard. He was standing on the bridge with a glazed look in his eyes. Let's see if he can keep that look. I slowly raised my foreleg and aimed it at him. Thinking of the lightning, thinking of him dying. Hoping I could do something with this. Buzz. Of course. But I thought for a moment. I looked at my hoof and made the little buzz again. Brilliant!

I shot out of the bushes and tackled the guard to the ground. I got my hoof to make those sparks and buzzing noise again. TAZER! The guard shook violently. Another guard came running up to me. I just shoved him off the bridge. He probably died. I can't worry about that though. I reached into my knapsack and pulled out... a dictionary? Damn, I meant to get the knife but I pulled out the wrong thing. No time to switch, though. I was being swarmed by guards.

I lifted the dictionary and slapped a guard straight in the face. I turned quickly and hit another. The rest of the guards were surrounded by a purple light. Twilight pushed them as far away as possible.

The guards within the ravine came up. Twilight used her magic to pick some of them up. They swung their hoofs and ranted. She wasn't going to let go, though. Rainbow Dash swung in and kicked a guard right in the face. Applejack found some vines and made it into a lasso. She landed it on one guard and pulled hard, hitting another. Pinkie Pie came out of nowhere and started bouncing on the guards' heads, laughing and having a good time. Rarity got some twigs and was poking some guy in the eyes with them. Neon in his ice form, punching the crap out of this one guy. And Fluttershy- well I don't know how she did it, but she got a Timber Wolf and he was mauling everyone he could find. At least it's on our side now.

I followed everyone down a flight of stairs that was built into the walls. Huh, convenient! So anyway, it was the eight of us (or nine, if you feel like adding Astheno.) against the six of them. They looked determined. I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Here," Rock Well whispered. "Put this on. Scare 'em dead." He disappeared. I was holding Rock Well's old helmet. I looked at it for a moment. I remember when I first wore it. I turned back to the guards. "Remember this?" I asked. I slowly put the helmet on my head. It fit perfectly, just like the last time. They were shuddering in fear. "Rock Well's helmet..." one of them said.

I took a step closer. "That's right! And if I could kill Rock Well..." The guards stepped back, shivering. "Twilight, put 'em to sleep." I said.

Twilight's magic surrounded them and they closed their eyes and fell to the ground. I took off the helmet. I was going to look for Rock Well, but not now. Now, we win. Now, we-

"So, you got this far, didn't you?" Malice said. She threw us against the wall and held us there. And to think we actually had a chance. "Looks like it's all over for you." She said. She swaggered over to us with a look of satisfaction on her face. "I guess it was good you escaped me the first time. Now I can kill you all myself."

Malice went digging through my knapsack. "Hay!" I shouted. "Get your crap covered hoofs out of my bag."

Malice stopped and slowly pulled out my knife. "Well, this is one lethal weapon you have in your purse. I think I might use it." She said. Was that really supposed to be an insult? "It's funny, really. You're the only one out of a pack of females that has a purse."

Oh... I see what she did there. Which raised a question. I looked back at everyone on the wall. Why was I the only one? "Yep, I love you too, Malice." Neon said, sarcastically, knowing that he had been completely disregarded.

We all turned to look at Neon, very slowly. Malice's magic even lost a little bit of strength. Hold up. Neon said I love you and Malice grew a little weaker...! Ho-ly shit... I got it... I freaking got it! I turned to Applejack and she turned to me. "Applejack, before we die, I just want you to know that you are the strongest pony I think I've ever met." The strength of the magic got a little weaker.

"Uh... wow! Really?" she asked.

"Of course. You have a wonderful personality. You're iron willed but easy on the eyes. You're tenacious, but you put others before you. You're sweet but you got a little sass in you." I slipped further down the wall.

"Rainbow Dash! Hell! I doubt there is not a pony out there who is as talented at flying as you! Saying that you're faster than a bullet would be an outright understatement."

"Rarity! I don't care much for dresses, but when I see the ones you make, well, they look so go I would wear them! And believe me when I say I'm no drag queen." Rarity gave me a weird look for saying that. Not that I wasn't expecting it.

"The lovable Fluttershy. I remember just how well you dealt with that bear! I was beat up and bleeding on the floor because of him. But all you had to do was stare at the thing! Fell right over!"

"Pinkie Pie! I just love how Random you are!" I could feel myself slipping off. It's strange how this is working, though. Who the hell is writing this crap!? Oh, screw it. "I mean, Discord himself would only be able to wish to be like you!" Pinkie Pie looked radiant when I said that.

"Twilight..." We looked at each other in silence. I smiled at her and she returned. "Where do I start with you? You were the one who invited me into you're home when Applejack couldn't. You didn't fully accept who I was but you didn't show it. You showed me friendship, happiness. You showed me that, while the world is a horrible place, that there are still a few good things. You- all of you, I don't think I'll meet anyone even close to you guys." The light that surrounded us started to flicker. A tear ran down Twilight's face as she smiled brightly.

"How cute..." Malice said. "But I'm not letting you go." She was shaking and sweating and everything like that. The magic was only loosening until I found myself on my own four hoofs. Malice tried again to throw me on the wall but her magic just kept fizzling.

"Go," I told the guys. "Take care of things. I got this."They all rushed to the tree and Neon followed just because. I stood in front of a weak, scared looking Malice. "Well, I don't know where to start, really." I suddenly remembered something I should have earlier. A promise I made to Malice. The last thing she would hear. "About a month ago I made a promise. I said that I would remind you of something before you died."

Malice smiled that evil way she always did. "I recall." she said. "Might as well just get it over with."

I smiled, almost like she did. "Well then," I turned back to see The Elements of Harmony and they placed themselves carefully on the tree. I turned back. "I'd like to say, and I'd like you to remember," Light flashed harshly behind me. "I've lied a lot in my time, but I will not lie when I say this," I leaned up to Malice's ear. "My name, dear friend from the fire of hell, is Volt..."

Malice stood up slowly and looked at me, still smiling. Her eyes were just pure destruction in those last seconds. Her smile, widening. It all combusted. Malice backed up, being engulfed by the fire. She was so silent as she stood in it. The fire was slithering it's way up her body. Then, she just turned to ashes. A pile of ashes.

I stared at it. Watching as it did nothing except sit there. I could still feel the heat rising. Astheno landed on my shoulder and I smiled at her. Then, for no reason, I just fell down. I laid there just laughing to myself. I didn't know what else to do. Twilight stood over me. Then Rarity, and so on. We were done. And a I wanted to do was lie down and just laugh. "Need help gettin' up?" Applejack asked.

"You know what?" I said. "I'd like that." I gripped onto Applejack's hoof and she pulled me off the ground. I looked at the pile of ashes. The wind started blow it all away. The ashes swirled in the air as the moon started to shy behind the clouds.

"What's this?" Rarity picked up something off the ground. It was Malice's amulet. Gold, silver and obsidian.

"What should we do with it?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight put a hoof on her chin while inspecting the amulet. We'll give it to Princess Celestia, when we get a chance." she said.

We stood there as quiet as possible, looking at the amulet. Watching it gleam in the moonlight as Rarity tilted it from side to side. Now we won. "Soooooooooooooooooo, what now?" Pinkie Pie asked.

We all chuckled when she said that. It was a good question though. "Well, how about we all just take this night and just not do anything." I said.

"Nonsense." Twilight said. "We have Ponyville for a night. Let's have a little slumber party." Twilight suggested.

I was about to say that a slumber party wasn't the best idea considering the fact that, well, I'm a male and they're females. But Pinkie Pie got a little exited. "That sounds like the best idea ever!" she said.

They headed off, on their way home. Where do I go? I'm not too sure. I looked at the tree. No tree I've ever seen, I'll tell you that. The elements hung on their own branch with the exception of one being in the middle for some reason. Wind blew slowly past me with a leaf drifting along the gust.

I pulled Rock Well's helmet out again and just looked at it. Gold with silver and a little blue in it. What would I do with it, now? I had an idea. I walked up to the tree. It was an interesting looking tree. I looked at the helmet one last time. I felt a branch on the tree. It seemed to be able to hold something. That's where I hung the helmet. It stayed on there pretty well. It looked like It was going to stay on there for a while. "Volt!" Applejack called out. "Ya comin' er what?"

I turned around to them. They were waiting for me at the top of the steps and I went there. I turned back at the tree. Yup, nothing's knocking that thing off. I followed everyone through the forest again. We were not disturbed on the walk back... bliss.

Author's Note:

Wow! That's a low price!