• Published 14th Sep 2013
  • 1,891 Views, 23 Comments

The Broken Crown - Inspiration



Celestia becomes very hostile towards Twilight after she refused her offer to become a princess. And with underlying problems, they both might snap before stopping eachother from doing the unthinkable.

  • ...
11
 23
 1,891

I will not speak of your sin

After the Elements have blasted Twilight into...wherever she was, Twilight was on the verge of breaking down. It hurt. A lot. She now knew what Nightmare Moon and Discord felt when they blasted them. But the pain subsided quickly, and after she was sure she could move (as the Harmony blast had hurt every part of her, joints and all), she got up and scanned the area. Nothing.

"Hello? Where am I? What is this place?" Twilight calls out. She sees Princess Celestia standing near her. She somehow missed her when she was looking around. How did she miss an alicorn? An alicorn princess, nonetheless.

"Congratulations, Twilight. I knew you could do it." Celestia says, in that soothing voice of hers. Twilight never knew why, but whenever anypony heard the Princess talk, the worries went into hibernation.

"Princess...I don't understand. What did I do?" Twilight asks, clearly confused by everything. Celestia smiles, seeing Twilight's confusion on her face.

"You did something today that's never been done before. Something even a great unicorn like Star Swirl the Bearded was not able to do, because he did not understand friendship like you do. The lessons you've learned here in Ponyville have taught you well. You have proven that you're ready, Twilight." She says.

"You have proven that you're ready?" Twilight thought. She wasn't ready for anything that had been happening in the last few...what was it? Minutes? Seconds? She didn't know how time worked in this nothingness.

"Ready?" Twilight says, looking up to her teacher. "Ready for what?" She wasn't sure how she felt at this moment, but she was sure she wasn't excited. Anxious, maybe. Definitely confused. But not excited. Not one bit. Celestia could see this in Twilight's eyes. She was determined, though, to make Twilight happy for what she was about to do.

"Well," the Princess says, "You see, Twilight, you've solved so many problems that I could never attempt to. You have saved Equestria countless times, you have prevented disasters within Canterlot, The Crystal Empire, and Ponyville alike, and you have done so much more. So, if you would accept, I believe that you are ready to become a Princess."

"A...a pri..." Twilight was speechless. She knows that Celestia is only trying to do good, but this... this was a bit much. "You want me to become...a princess?" She asks, staring at the sun goddess in amazement. Celestia smiled at this reaction. She had kind of expected as much.

"Yes, Twilight. A princess. You have managed to prove to me that you are ready for this." Celestia says. Twilight just sat there, mouth agape, shocked at what she was hearing. "Well, Twilight," Celestia asks, sure that Twilight would accept, "would you like to become a princess of Equestria?" Twilight pondered this a thousand times over in her head. Finally, after Celestia knows how long (which, by the way, she doesn't), Twilight gave Celestia her answer.

"Princess, I...I don't want to be one." Twilight says.

Celestia was quite frankly shocked at this answer. She had been sure that Twilight would have said yes. "You...don't want to become a princess?" Celestia stammers. Twilight nodded, sure that Celestia would understand. She doesn't. "Why? Why would you pass up what just might be your only chance to become an alicorn princess? The only chance to become what only 3 others are?" Celestia says, her voice much less soothing, and, actually, raising. Twilight backed off when Celestia yelled. She didn't know what she would do.

"Princess," Twilight starts, "I understand that this is a very, very, rare occasion, but I don't want to change. I don't want to become a princess because I know that I'll be treated differently. I don't want everypony to bow when I walk by, like they do you. I want to be one and the same. Thank you for the offer, though." Celestia was amazed that somepony would refuse such an offer. Her eyes had grown an odd look in them, as if contemplating punishments for this.

For, you see, Celestia wasn't always happy and smiling. Deep down (but not too deep), Celestia was a cruel, remorseless monarch, who would behead all who deny or defy her. "Very well, Twilight. Be that way." Celestia spits out, her voice filled with contempt. Twilight was somewhat taken back by the Princess' tone. She never said things with anger like she just did. When she did, though, it was to a villain, such as Discord (before his reformation, of course).

"I'm sorry, Princess, but I know the responsibilities you have," Twilight starts again, "and I don't think I'm--" She was cut off as she was teleported back to the library with all her friends. Immediately, they all bomb-rushed her with questions.

"Twilight, what happened?!" Fluttershy says quietly.

"Where'd ya go?" Applejack, as usual, was genuinely concerned.

"What the HAY made the Elements do that?!" Rainbow Dash yells.

"Darling, why do you look so worried?" Rarity says, just as concerned as Applejack.

"Do we need to throw a short 'Welcome Back' party?" Pinkie Pie blurts out, as random as usual. But Twilight didn't hear any of them. All Twilight could hear was Celestia, talking to her through the mind.

"You may have messed up. You may have changed something. Something big. You have made a major mistake. You will feel the consequences of your actions. Think on all the good and bad you have caused ever since the day you were born, Twilight Sparkle. Think hard on it all. You will rue this day, as will those you love, and those who love you." The Princess' voice says, clear as day inside Twilight's mind. The disdain in her voice drowning out everything else.

All that Twilight could say as her hearing came back to the noise of everypony yelling questions at her was, "Ughhhhh..." And she fell unconscious. The nothingness she was sent to did something to her and Celestia. She just wasn't sure what.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Twilight came to, she was in her bed, Spike by her side. Along with the Bearers. All of them, except for Rainbow Dash and Applejack, were sound asleep. The moment Twilight's eyes were open, though, Rainbow Dash flew in her face. "Good. You're up. Now, would you please TELL US WHAT THE HAY HAPPENED?!" It was clear that Rainbow needed answers fast. Applejack was the next one to speak up.

"Now, Rainbow." She says, her speech showing genuine care. "Poor Twilight here jus' woke up after bein' teleportled somewhere 'n' back. Ah don't think it's a good idea to be up in her face after she's been out fer 2 days."

Twilight jolts up at the last two words. "I've been out for how long?!" She yells, panicked. Somehow, Rainbow Dash's yelling didn't wake up the rest of the group, but Twilight's yelling did. They all greeted Twilight, and walked downstairs to sleep some more. Twilight, though, had gotten enough energy to stay up just long enough to tell Rainbow Dash and Applejack everything, before collapsing and sleeping for another 13 hours. All the while, Twilight heard Princess Celestia's message over and over. She had to figure out what she had meant. She had to.

Author's Note:

As a sort of staple of my stories (as the other one I'm working on will be doing this too), I will take any suggestions of the progression of the story you guys (and girls) leave in the comments. I want all of you to help me make these. Any suggestions used in the story will get credited in the Author's Notes. Thanks for reading!

Also, any sentence that goes "like this" is thought. Italics will always mean thought or emphasis in my works. Thanks!