• Published 10th Sep 2013
  • 723 Views, 8 Comments

My new friend... - Part-time Rarity



A fairly short thriller featuring the blind filly Snowdrop, and her strange new friend.

  • ...
1
 8
 723

"Hello, Snowy!"

"But... but you HAVE to! We're friends! And friends stick by eachother! Right, Snowy?" Mr.Widemouth whimpered.

I scrunched my nose in disgust at the nickname he had created for me. "I am not obligated to do anything for you! The things you're showing me could very possible get me killed!"

"...thats the point..." I heard him mutter almost inaudibly.

"Wha-..." I stammered. "What did you say?"
Mr.Widemouth gave an audible jolt, and answered curtly,

"Hm? Oh, Nothing! Just humming!" I tried to question further, but in a few brief moments, he had packed up his knives and scampered silently out our front door, not offering a word of apology or departure. I sat in bed, holding the single silver blade that the strange "pony" had left behind. After our little disagreement, I began to have trouble sleeping. I desperately wished that the sickness would go away, so I could leave Mr.Widemouth and never come back. But it didn't. One night he had said that he had put a big trampouline below the roof. A soft one, and one you couldn't see in the dark. I declined, as always, but he persisted. Sometimes he would stand by my bedside till early morning, his breathing emanating about the house. I pretended I would sleep, seeing if he would assault me in any way. He didn't. After an excruciatingly long endure of the dark home, my mother rang, saying:

"Doctor Williams said you can go outside... But only for a little bit!" She urged. "The fresh air will be good for you!"
My heart skipped a beat as I grabbed my coat and stuffed my medicine into a saddlebag. I excitedly slung it over my back, and rushed outside. I didn't tell grandmother where I was going, but she wouldn't mind. She had been denying I was even ill, so she would quite probably approve of my actions. As the gravel crunched beneath my hooves, I continuously heard rustling in the bushes and trees. Passing it off as Fluttershy's little pets, I continued on my way.

My rationalization was soon disproven, as a tall figure appeared in front of me.

"I thought you weren't allowed outside Snowy!" Mr.Widemouth's squelching voice said. "You'll get sick! Or... or... something could EAT you!"

I drew back, startled. He... he had... followed me?? I thought to myself.
"Oh... yeah." I said, nervous "I mean. Yes. The Doctor said I could go outside for a bit, as long as I come back soon."

"Oh, yay! Thats fantastic! Now we can play so much more!" Mr.Widemouth said, elated. He stepped (almost) mechanically towards me, his movements jerky and stiff, as if he were freezing. Despite the thick moisture in the air, suggesting fog, it felt like a middling temperature. He paused briefly at my side, before placing his hoof on my shoulderblades. A shiver ran down my spine.

"Now, Snowy..." He began. God, I wish he would stop calling me that. "I don't wish to upset you, but we both know you are... 'impaired', if you will, of sight."
I froze. Although I didn't usually take offense to these sorts of comments, this struck me like a blade when he mentioned my eyesight. "I... I gue-"

"I can restore it, if you want." He interrupted.