• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 941 Views, 9 Comments

On Wings of Grace - Midnight Solace



Tensions are high as war looms over Equestria. The princesses are taking sides. Will an unknown alicorn bring peace or destruction.

  • ...
8
 9
 941

Ch.2: The Unknown Alicorn

The Golden Oaks Library still stood in the center of town, unchanged, albeit an extra room built to accommodate Trixie after she had returned two months ago to patch things up with Twilight. And she has been staying with Twilight ever since. Twilight was happy to finally have her marefriend back after having to chase her out of town after the alicorn amulet event, and she was thrilled when Trixie came back to apologize. And it was towards this library that Rainbow headed with the intent to talk to Twilight about Winter.

When she knocked on the door, Rainbow wasn’t too surprised to find it answered by Spike, Twilight’s number one assistant. “Hey Rainbow, what happened to you?” asked Spike as he looked over the bandages, his eyes going wide. “I’ll explain later. Right now I need to talk to Twilight, is she here?” asked Rainbow, looking inside the door. “Yeah she’s here. Come on in.” said Spike, opening the door wider so that Rainbow could walk inside. Once inside, Rainbow noticed that a few new decorations had been added to the library since she had last been there, such as a rack for Trixie’s hat and cape, as well as some new cases for books Rainbow had never seen before, most likely ones belonging to Trixie. “Rainbow!!” cried Twilight as she just about tackled Rainbow Dash to the ground in her excitement and worry. “Easy there Twilight.” said Rainbow as she gently push Twilight off of her, a few tears brimming in her own eyes from seeing her friend again.

So she wasn’t expecting the strike when it came. One minute she and Twilight her hugging and the next, there was a stinging pain in her cheek. When she looked back at Twilight she saw her friend’s tear filled eyes filled with an equal amount of concern, worry, and anger. “Twilight, what did you hit me for?” asked Rainbow, rubbing the spot where she had been hit. It actually hurt quite a bit. “Where did you go? How could you just up and disappear on your friends like that. Did you think we wouldn't worry? Did you think that we wouldn't be scared for you?” demanded Twilight, stamping her hoof in her frustration. Trixie had come downstairs after being woke up by the commotion, so when she saw Rainbow standing in the lobby, she was shocked. But she quickly hurried to Twilight’s side when she saw how upset she was and held her tight in her hooves as Twilight calmed down, the tears finally subsiding. “Listen Twilight, I really need to talk to you about something important. But I don’t want anyone else to hear what I have to say just yet. So do you think you could send Trixie and Spike out for a while?” asked Rainbow, looking over at the two in question, who were just watching the exchange take place. Trixie nodded in understanding and turned to Spike, pushing him towards the door. “Come Spike, you will assist Trixie in her morning activities while Twilight and Rainbow talk.” said the showmare as she trotted out the door, dragging a reluctant baby dragon along behind her. “But I wanted to hear what was so important.” mumbled the baby dragon, arms crossed.

Twilight turned to Rainbow, motioning for her to follow her to the reading room on the other side of the library. Rainbow followed, not really looking forward to revealing Winter; and yet she had to tell somepony and Twilight was the most likely to understand and be able to explain the situation. Rainbow sat across from Twilight as Twilight levitated some freshly made coffee from the kitchen in her magic. Twilight then flared her wings and then resettled them to get into a more comfortable position. It had been four years since Twilight had become a princess, and yet she still wasn’t completely comfortable with her new wings, despite Rainbow’s and Fluttershy's help.

“So what do you want to talk about Rainbow? And you better explain how you got so hurt.” demanded Twilight, taking a drink of the bitter beverage in order to wake up her still groggy mind. “Well, before any of that, I need to ask. Are you certain that the only other alicorns besides you are Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Cadance?” asked Rainbow in all seriousness, her coffee sitting untouched and quickly becoming cold on the table. This caused Twilight to lower the cup from her lips, a puzzled expression on her face. “I’m quite sure. Princess Celestia herself told me that there were no other alicorns in existence, though I am unsure just how much of what she told me is actually true. But how does this relate to you getting hurt?” asked Twilight, setting her cup down and eyeing Rainbow. Rainbow just twiddled her hooves and stared at the floor, unsure of how much she could actually tell her friend without getting Winter in trouble. “Rainbow.” said Twilight, her tone questioning. Finally Rainbow Dash sighed in defeat and lifted her head, her troubled eyes meeting her friend’s. “Well, do you remember when you sent me out into the Everfree in order to gather some herbs for your experiments?” asked Rainbow. “Yes, I do remember.” said Twilight. “Well, there was a pretty big storm that was coming towards me from across the forest. I was certain I would be able to outrun it and get back to Sweet Apple Acres before it hit and I was just about to when I heard… something… coming from the forest.” said Rainbow, looking at Twilight expectantly.

“What did you hear?” asked Twilight, her attention now completely on Rainbow. “Well, when I was flying over the forest, I started to hear singing.” muttered Rainbow. “Singing.” said Twilight disbelievingly. “Yeah, it was unlike anything I've ever heard before. It was like the song was calling me to it, beckoning me to come and discover its source and experience the same joy that it was promising. But at the same time, it was filled with such sorrow and pain that it made my heart hurt and brought tears to my eyes. Something about it just made you want to crawl into a hole and cry, but at the same time made you want to get up and dance the night away.” said Rainbow, recounting her experience with the strange song. “That may be… strange, but it still doesn't explain how you got all banged up like this and fixed up at the same time.” said Twilight. “Well, I was so caught up by the song, that I didn’t realize the storm was right above me until I got caught up in the turbulence. It flung me around so much that I lost track of which way was Sweet Apple Acres. Then the wind threw me into a tree and I… broke my wing.” said Rainbow, gesturing to her injured limb. “So how did you get fixed up if there was a storm raging overhead and you couldn't find your way to Sweet Apple Acres?” asked Twilight, leaning forward to hear Rainbows answer.

“It’s not how I was saved that is the important part. It’s who saved me.” said Rainbow, looking out the window towards the edge of town. “Why is it so strange that someone saved you?” asked Twilight, completely enraptured by Rainbow’s tale. “Because… it was an alicorn who saved me. And she wasn’t one of the princesses.” said Rainbow, reaching the part of the tale she dreaded telling the most.

What she wasn’t expecting was for Twilight to burst out laughing, earning an angry glare from Rainbow. “What’s so funny?” demanded Rainbow. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry. It’s just that I thought you were actually going to tell me. But it’s alright if you don’t want to.” said Twilight, wiping a tear from her eye. “But I am telling you the truth.” said Rainbow. At this, Twilights gaze turned annoyed and a little angry. “Rainbow, you’re my friend and I would trust you with my life. But you can’t just lie to my face and expect me to believe you. It’s not right.” said Twilight, shaking an accusing hoof at Rainbow. “I’m not lying!!” yelled Rainbow. “I know for a fact that there are no other Alicorns. Princess Celestia told me herself.” argued Twilight. “And what if the Princess is wrong.” yelled Rainbow before realizing what she said. “Twilight, I-I didn’t…” Rainbow started. “Take it back.” growled Twilight. Rainbow looked away, her face showing her guilt. “I’m sorry Twilight. But how can you be so sure that Princess Celestia is always right. She has been wrong in the past.” whispered Rainbow. Twilight looked at the floor, also guilty at having overlooked such a detail in her flight to protect the princess’s honor, though she didn't really have a reason to. “I-I suppose. But I can’t just believe something so outlandish without proof.” said Twilight. “I could always take you to meet her, but we can’t bring our friends, not yet.” said Rainbow, her face alight with excitement at seeing Winter again. “Why not?” asked Twilight, that suspicious glint in her eye. “She’s… not entirely… comfortable around groups of ponies.” said Rainbow. At this Twilight’s gaze softened and she placed a reassuring on Rainbow’s shoulder. “I’m sure all she needs is a few friends.” said Twilight. “. Rainbow nodded and motioned for Twilight to follow her.

When they reached the edge of the Everfree forest, Twilight hesitated as did Rainbow. Rainbow trusted Winter, but was not so certain of her Timberwolf “guard dogs”. Rainbow had told Twilight about the guard dogs, but she was still heavily skeptical. It was understandable, as many of the Everfree’s inhabitants were… less than hospitable. So while Twilight hung back at a safe distance, Rainbow approached the forest. Then, at the top of her lungs, shouted for the wolves. “AROS, DELOS.” She called out. She then took a few steps back and waited patiently. Sure enough, a howl rang out across the wood, quickly followed by another. Twilight’s eyes grew wide as she heard the howls and she went to take a step back, but seeing Rainbow just standing there, no fear on her face, strengthened her resolve and she stood her ground.

Rainbow heard the pounding of wooden paws on soft earth before she saw them. They burst out of the foliage, causing some of the smaller trees to be pushed aside, almost knocked over. Twilight backed away, fear etched into her features, but Rainbow simply approached the wolves with what looked like a block of wood in her hooves. She tossed it at one of the wolves and it caught it in its teeth. It happily started gnawing on it, giving her a playful look. It yipped and lapped at her face, leaving her mane stuck up at odd angles. Twilight just looked at her strangely, as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing. The other Timberwolf gestured with it head back towards the forest, telling them to follow. Rainbow trotted after them, her wing still bound tight to her side with fresh bandages, and Twilight reluctantly followed.

The sounds of the Everfree echoed around them as the two ponies made their way deeper into the forest, quietly following their two guides. It didn’t take long for Twilight to begin to feel the change in atmosphere. It was almost as if someone had lifted away the depressing veil that always seemed to cloak the Everfree and instead replaced with joyous, welcoming warmth. Instead of the usual poison joke or strangle vines, unnaturally large flowers in all colors dotted the fallen trees and vines that somehow didn’t seem as menacing as before. The sounds of different animals calling to each other in reaction to the new arrivals echoed throughout the trees, seeming almost sing-song in nature. Twilight didn’t even realize she had been relaxing until she felt her flared wings settle back into the grooves of her back. Twilight didn’t even realize she had been gawking at the flora and fauna until she bumped into Rainbow’s backside, causing her to fall onto her flank. “We’re here.” exclaimed Rainbow as she gestured in front of her. Twilight looked around her form to see a cottage not too different from Fluttershy’s sitting comfortably among the huge flowers.

“Rainbow, what is this?” asked Twilight, awed by the sight of a home so deep in the Everfree, and one so well kept. She noticed the two Timberwolves had already slipped from view. “This is Winter’s place. She told me I could visit whenever I felt like it. Just… when we meet her… don’t get too excited. We don’t want to spook her.” warned Rainbow. Twilight just nodded, only just now having gotten her wits about her. “So where is this “Winter?”” asked Twilight. Rainbow didn't answer as she was too busy staring at something straight ahead, a giddy smile on her face. Twilight followed her gaze and froze at what she saw. Standing only a few feet away, using her magic to water some of the flowers, was a navy blue Alicorn with a multi-colored mane oblivious to the two ponies watching her water the plants.

“Hey Winter.” said Rainbow as she called to Winter from across the yard. The alicorn looked up in surprise at the use of her name, and a soft warm smile lit up her face. And then she saw Twilight and her joy filled eyes were quickly overcome with fear. She started to back away, only for her hoof to catch on the dropped watering can, causing her to trip and fall. Rainbow trotted over and helped Winter to her hooves. Winter looked as if she wanted to bolt, or do anything that would get her away from the unfamiliar pony. “Winter, it’s okay, she’s a friend of mine.” reassured Rainbow. Winter looked at Twilight, the fear still in her eyes, but it had diminished from before. “H-hi. My name is Twilight Sparkle.” said Twilight, holding out her hoof. Winter slowly approached and reluctantly took her hoof in response. “W-Winter Song.” said Winter. “So… you really are an alicorn.” stumbled Twilight, moving around Winter’s side so that she could stretch out one of Winter’s wing and examine, stunned to find that it is real. “Um, could we go inside and talk Winter. I’m sure that Twilight has a lot of questions to ask you.” said Rainbow, gently pulling Twilight away from Winter’s wing. “Um, s-sure. Follow me.” said Winter, beckoning them to follow her.

Author's Note:

Well, here is chapter two. Thanks for being patient with me and i'll try to get some more chapters out there as quick as i can.