• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 941 Views, 9 Comments

On Wings of Grace - Midnight Solace



Tensions are high as war looms over Equestria. The princesses are taking sides. Will an unknown alicorn bring peace or destruction.

  • ...
8
 9
 941

Ch 1: A Storm Over Everfree

Present Time

Rainbow Dash looked at the approaching clouds apprehensively as she flew over the Everfree forest. Twilight had asked her to gather some of the plant life that only grows in the forest so that she could make a new potion. Rainbow had relented at first, saying that it was boring egghead work and that she should do it, but at the promise that Twilight would fly with her afterwards prompted the Pegasus to accept the offer. The wind tore at her mane as she flew towards the edge of the forest, Sweet Apple Acres quickly coming into view. But before she could escape the forest, a haunting melody reached her ears, almost causing her wings to snap shut so that she may listen. It was unlike anything she had ever heard before, and just the sound of it made her heart ache with a feeling she could not explain as a few unwanted tears rolled down her face. When the song ended however, she was snapped out of the trance just in time to see the storm clouds fall upon her.

She was tossed around like a rag doll, the wind whipping her mane into her face so that she couldn't see in front of her own hooves. She kept her wings shut so that the wind wouldn't cause any outward damage to them. She tried to maneuver her way out of the storm, but only succeeded in losing sight of Sweet Apple Acres. She didn't see the tree as it came rushing towards her, its barren limbs ready to break her body upon impact. The breath was knocked out of her as she slammed into the tree, narrowly missing the deadly tree limbs. However, she heard a sickening crunch as she hit the tree, and a massive wave of pain centering from her right wing threatened to send her under. She received numerous cuts and scrapes as she plummeted towards the forest floor, her mane and tail catching hold on some of the branches only to have clumps of hair yanked out.

When she hit the ground, she couldn't move, her own limbs not following her commands. When she tried to fold in her wings she let out a gasp as a sharp pain surged through the ravaged appendage. The pain brought tears to her eyes and Rainbow couldn't hold them back as she silently sobbed at the pain, her meal from earlier threatening to come back up as the nausea hit. She tried to move, but found herself pinned beneath a mound of tree limbs, their weight only causing her wing further pain. She froze however, when she heard a low threatening growl and slowly turned her head so that she could stare straight into the emotionless and hungry blue eyes of a Timberwolf. It slunk towards her, its body low to the ground as it prepared to lunge at its wounded prey. Rainbow Dash laid her head down on the ground, knowing that she could not face the predator in her wounded state.

But instead of feeling the vice-like jaws snap around her neck, she heard a most melodic voice call out to the creature, causing it to back away as the most beautiful pony Rainbow had ever seen stepped into view. She said something to the two wolves before picking Rainbow up in her magic, but her words were quickly swept away by the roaring wind and pounding rain. The last thing she saw before blacking out from the pain was the pony kneeling down and looking straight at her with crystalline green eyes.


Rainbow woke up to the soft feel of a cushion beneath her. She tried to move, but only succeeded in sending pain lancing through her backside. “Easy now or you’ll hurt yourself even worse.” said the pony she had seen earlier in the woods, setting a steaming mug of tea in front of her. Rainbow hadn't actually gotten a good look at the pony in the woods and was surprised by her beauty. She had a dark navy blue coat with a mane and tail that was a mix of gold, white, and baby blue. Her cutie mark was in the shape of a sun cresting above two snowflakes. Rainbow tentatively reached out and took the mug, eyeing it suspiciously before taking a sip. She sighed in relief as the first soothing gulp went down, tasting of honey and other spices. Almost instantly, the pain in her wing and back began to recede. “It’s a special blend of Everfree herbs. It numbs pain so that injuries can heal.” she said, setting down her own cup of what Rainbow assumed was normal tea. “Who are you?” asked Rainbow Dash, setting down her drink and eyeing the unicorn sitting across from her. The unicorn returned the look, albeit less suspicious and more amused. “My name is Winter Song and this is my home. I should be the one asking who you are.” asked Winter as she looked Rainbow over, actually looking surprised to see another pony this deep in the dangerous wood. At this Rainbow puffed her chest out as she got that proud glint in her eyes. “Oh, you don’t know? I am Rainbow Dash, the fastest flyer in all of Equestria and future Wonderbolt.” said Rainbow Dash. Winter was barely suppressing a laugh at seeing the injured pony in front of her boasting.

A growl from across the room drew Rainbow’s attention. The Timberwolves she had seen earlier were lying near the fireplace, their beady eyes watching Rainbow’s every move. “Watch out Winter. There are two Timberwolves in your living room.” whispered Rainbow, trying to put herself between the wolves and Winter. Winter looked over at them and rolled her eyes. “Oh don’t mind them, Aros and Delos are both sweethearts when you get to know them.” said Winter as she threw a piece of wood at the blue eyed wolf. It caught it in its teeth and began to gnaw happily on it.

Rainbow shivered at the sight of the two wolves fighting over the piece of wood. It was at that moment that she glanced out the window to see the sun slowly setting. She started to panic, as she had no idea how long she had been out cold. “Do not fret. It has only been two days.” offered Winter, her multicolored mane falling over her eyes, causing her to blow it back up. “Oh no, I should have been back days ago. The girls have to be so worried.” whined Rainbow as she tried to stand, only to gasp in pain at the sudden movement. Winter looked at Rainbow almost scornfully after witnessing her reopening her wounds in a panic.

She stood and began to make her way to the door, motioning for Rainbow to follow her. With a little reluctance at having to move her injured wing, Rainbow walked to the door, only to see Winter staring up at the sky, her eyes sparkling with amusement. Winter wasn't a small pony by any standards. In fact, she towered over Rainbow, nearly twice her height. She seemed to have the same height advantage that Princesses Celestia and Luna had. But that was crazy. Only Alicorns could grow to the princesses’ size. And Winter certainly wasn't an Alicorn. She’d seen Winter’s horn, but she knew that Winter didn't have a pair of … wings. Rainbow’s mind stuttered as she watched Winter stretch out a pair of 15ft wings.

She looked back at Rainbow, that same amusement glimmering in her eyes as she flexed the powerful muscles in her wings, wings that appear as though they have seen plenty of use. “Still willing to bet you’re the fastest?” taunted Winter as she beckoned for Rainbow to climb on her back. Rainbow was hesitant at first, but eventually her curiosity won out over her fear as she clambered onto Winter’s back. It would be fun to know what it felt like to fly with an Alicorn.

When they finally landed at the edge of Sweet Apple Acres, Rainbow’s mane was stuck back in a jet blown fashion, the wind from the flight having plastered it against her face. And yet, she had enjoyed the flight, more so than she even had with her own wings.Something had clicked between the two as they had flown towards the orchard and Rainbow couldn't explain it, but something about Winter had stirred something inside her. Almost reluctantly, she slowly slid off of Winter’s back, just barely keeping herself from falling to the ground, her legs trembling. Upon seeing Applejack bucking trees in the distance, Rainbow was about to call out to her to introduce her to Winter when she noticed Winter backing into the forest, her eyes filled with fear upon seeing the earth pony. “Winter, what’s wrong?” asked Rainbow, her face filled with confusion and concern. “I-I can’t be around other ponies. I just can’t. I’m s-sorry. You’re going to have to go the rest of the way on your own.” whimpered Winter as she shrank back into the thick brush of the Everfree forest. “But Winter…” said Rainbow Dash, trying to find Winters blue coat the in the shadows of the trees, but even her vibrant colors had disappeared into the gloom. But her voice lingered, carrying her last words. “If you want to visit, come to the edge of the Everfree and call for Aros and Delos. They will lead you safely to my hut.” whispered the wind as it carried those words away.

Rainbow Dash was just about to go back into the forest to look for Winter when she heard a familiar country twang. “R-Rainbow, is that you?” asked Applejack as she stared at Rainbow Dash, who looked back at her, smoothing her mane back down. “Hey Applejack. What’s up.” said Rainbow as casually as she could. Applejack galloped over to her, dropping the bucket of apples she had been carrying in exchange for wrapping her hooves around Rainbow’s neck, tears streaming’ down her face as she nearly strangled her. “Easy AJ, watch the wing.” said Rainbow as she gently unwound AJ’s hooves. Applejack worriedly looked at her wing, which was still bound tight to her side with a clean cloth.

“What happened to yer wing? Where in tarnation did ya go? How did ya fix up that wing? I didn't know ya knew how to do that.” rambled Applejack before Rainbow put a hoof into her mouth in order to stop her string of babble. “Before anything else, I need to go talk to Twilight. It’s really important.” said Rainbow as she prepared to take flight, before she felt a twinge of pain coming from the appendage, reminding her that she was grounded for the time being. That was before she felt a hoof on her shoulder. “Alright then. You can explain afterwards. Come on, ya can hitch a ride in the apple cart on my way to set up the stall. Fastest way besides wings to get to town.” said Applejack, already heading towards the cart that was sitting beneath an unbucked apple tree, already half full with buckets of apples. Before following her, Rainbow Dash cast one last gaze towards the shadows of the Everfree forest and the mysterious mare who dwelled within.

Author's Note:

Well, here is chapter 1, A Storm Over Everfree. I hope you all enjoyed it. Let me know what you think and I'll try to get back to you. It's not that easy trying to write Applejack's accent, but I did the best I could. Oh Well.