• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 675 Views, 9 Comments

Grin - Dradavar



All ponies do it. At some point in their life they grin. Maybe it's a small mischievous grin, maybe one of pure happiness, maybe it's just a habit, but they all do. My Name is Grinning Sun, and I grin for other reasons.

  • ...
0
 9
 675

Grin at the nightmare

Grin

By
Dradavar

--- My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic © Hasbro ---
--- I do not own the intellectual properties this fan-fiction is based on ---

Chapter IV: Grin at the nightmare

Luna opens her eyes, finally. It felt like hours in that she was just lying there, only breathing. I blush. I wish the ream would be a little bit more.... discreet. The scene was rather obvious. I don't wanna go to deep in detail, I'll just say we're in a bedroom, to be precise in the same bed. A big, fluffy and comfortable bed in heart shape. I feel the heat rising into my cheeks. 'Do you really need to do that?' I think. I look at Luna, deep into her eyes and she looks back into my tired eyes. She smiles.

"Good morning darling" she purrs. I know that she is forced to say that, the dream makes her think, what she is thinking, but still I'm blushing even more and turn away.

"What's wrong?" she sits up right next to me, her wings streak my back. I sigh. Sometimes duty can be a bitch. I turn and look her into the eyes. She looks back into mine, a smitten grin appears on her face. I sigh again. I slowly raise my frontlegs and bring her up into a warm friendly hug. I focus my inherent magic and link her, mine and mothers dreamrealm all together.

"What's wrong honey? You wanna talk?" she asks, her voice kinda shaky now, as she returns the hug.

"Wake up" I whisper into her ear. I close my eyes. It's never nice to see a realm breaking apart. But even with my closed eyes I hear and feel Lunas reaction. She stiffens up in my grasp, I can hear her breathing getting faster. I can hear the cracks that break the walls between each of the realms. It only takes a few moments but with a warm goddess in your arms it feels like an eternity.

And then it ends. Luna relaxes in my grasp, she takes a deep breath, maybe she openes her eyes, I can't see it.

"Gaah!" she shouts and shoves me away from her, off the bed. I land with a quiet thump on my haunches. I look up to her and see her widened eyes, looking down on my quizzically.

"You!" she gasps, "Where am I? Why were you hugging me? How dare you touch me!" she looks around and notices the big fluffy bed we shared, her face turns red. "What have thou done to us!?" I look at her coldly. Her horn ignites as she tries to use magic. It's not like she could do anything here besides physically attack me, her magical powers are useless in this realm.

"I did nothing" I answer with a sigh and stand back up, "I never intended to start the dream from this position. If you want to complain you have to wait until we meet its creator."

"Dream?" she looks around confused and still pretty mad, she tries to use her magic again, maybe to change the dream.

"Don't waste your time" I state, "You can't control this realm anymore" her expression changes again, this time it's almost frightened.

"Why shouldn't I be able to control this realm?" she asks, "All dreams are under my control to begin with."

"Maybe," I answer, "this applied thousand years ago. But right now there are more than one 'Dreamwalker' out there" she still looks at me with this confused impression.

"If this is a dream" she begins, looking at me her expression changes, "why doesn't it feel like one?"

"This" I stomp at the ground, "is how every of your subjects feels while dreaming" she looks at me now like I had insulted her in the worst possible way, like I did something impossible.

"You lie" she simply states coldly, "this can't be a dream. Dreams are supposed to be beautiful places filled with hopes and wishes of our little ponies, not something so banal as a bedroom."

"But" I answer smirking, "there are also "those" dreams. Dreams were all you desires are fulfilled" I look back at her and see her massive blush, I giggle.

"You lie" she answer trying to hide her face behind her mane.

I shrug with my shoulders "If you say so" too tired to play this game, "maybe you will overthink that by seeing this" I walk up to the door, knock four times and open it. I gasp more than a little bit surprised, I never expected that we are currently in space, nothing but blackness and starlight waiting for us on the other side of the door.

Still blushing, Luna walks up right next to me and looks through the door mouth agape.

"Were are we?" she whispers, "these are none of the stars over Equestria."

"Maybe they are" I answer also whispering, "maybe you don't recognize them cause of the different angle with that we are looking at them right now" I look at her face. She looks almost sad.

"Maybe" she simply answers. I sigh. I know she knows better.

"Come" I say and walk out, off of the ledge of the wooden floor.

"Wait!" she cries and tries to grab me, to stop me from walking off the floor. I step out, walking on nothing.

"It's a dream, duh" I answer, looking at her and sticking out my tongue.

"Oh, right" she blushes even more now and walks after me.

We were walking for about five minutes, minding our own thoughts when Luna couldn't wait any longer.

"Soooooo..." she slowly starts, "were are we going?"

"You will see" I answer.

"Oh come on!" I smirk. Her behavior right now reminds me of a little foal, "tell me, where are we going!?" I grin again.

"You will see" I answer in the same tone from before. She growls, not used to not get everything she wants. We keep on walking.

~~~~~~~~

I don't know how long we have been walking right now, it felt like hours, but still no sign of her. I stop. Luna stops right next to me.

'Seriously?' I think bored as an idea comes up from the depths of my mind, 'You know I'm too old for that' I turn around, Luna also turns, her eyes widen. Right behind us, maybe a jump away is the giant, white throne, Nightmare Moon sitting on her cushion on the very top of it. I swear I can see her smile sheepishly. I shake my head. 'Sometimes you're more of a child than a goddess' I say in my head. I wouldn't even dare to say that into her face.

A gasp escapes Lunas mouth, "That-, No! It can't be!" she stutters.

"It can, and it is" I simply answer, almost bored. I walk up the throne, closer to her.

"What are you doing?" she askes scared, "don't!" she almost cries. I'm at the top of the throne right before Nightmare Moon, and as I thought her face shows a sheepish smile.

"You really needed that, didn't you?" I ask her in a bored tone, "to embarass me and then let me run around like an idiot." She tilts her head a little bit, still smiling.

"Even gods can become bored child" is her simple answer. She looks behind me, down at Luna which still stands on the nothingness that is the space. Her expression changes, from warm, friendly and motherly to sorrowful and sad.

"Princess Luna" she states coldly. Luna shrugs, she looks down at the stars underneath her but doesn't do anything else. Nightmare Moon rises to her hooves, still looking down at Luna she spreads her wings. Slowly, so very slowly she walks down the stairs of her throne, each step resounding with the sound of glass on glass. At the bottom of her throne Nightmare stops, Luna hasn't moved one inch.

"Look at me" Nightmare commands. Luna raises her head, looking deeply into Nightmares eyes, scared. "Why so scared?" Nightmare asks.

"Shouldn't I be?" Luna answers weakly, "I'm standing before the only thing that defeated me through out the last millenias."

"She is not a thing" I'm suddenly right next to Nightmare and look at Luna with a grim impression.

"Hush child" Nightmare scolds me, "this is none of your concern anymore" she nugges me. Nightmare raises her head and takes a look around, as if she was searching for something. Suddenly she sighs, a deep sound of displease. "Maybe this is the wrong location to talk, this all looks so-" she thinks for a second before she finishes her sentence, "lonely and menacing."

A flash of blinding, pale blue light forces me to close my eyes.

I open them again.

And I stand mouth agape as I notice the changed surroundings.

We are now in a big room, a high ceiling, the walls made of dark wood, a thick fluffy red carpet, a big fireplace with a beautiful blue fire... in short a place fit for royalty. In the middle of the room are three big, fluffy cushions. A blue for Nightmare and me and a... somehow uncoloured cushion for Luna. It's not like the cushion was white, or black, no it looks more like it was lucent but you could still see the outlines of it. Nightmares walks to one of the blue cushions and rests her haunches on it with a deep sigh.

"Make yourself comfortable" she says smiling, she even smiles at Luna as she points at the cushion. I sit down on the other blue cushion, but strangly it's not cold or tepid like I expected, it's warm. The warmth runs up my haunches, through my belly towards my heart and from there it runs through every part of my body, a very pleasent feeling, like a blanket that is wrapped around every cell of my very being. I also sigh in a pleased manner.

Not sure what else to do Luna walks to the strange lucent cushion and slowly rests her haunches on it, she shivers for a second but then she also let out a sigh.

Nightmare looks at Luna for a second, her face a unreadable mask. "Interessant" she notices, "that it would turn into this colour" Lunas look rushes down towards the cushion that has changed its colour the very moment her coat touched it. It was now yellow, a bright powerful yellow.

It was the colour of the sun.

Luna jumps up, off the cushion and looks at the cushion with confusion. Nightmare was following her gaze, seeing the yellow cushion she chuckles a little.

"Don't worry" she explains, "these cushions aren't traps. They are simply enchanted to be coloured in one of two colours. These two colours are defined by two things. First: The favorite colour of the pony and secondly, and believe me it was very hard to make this enchantment, the colour the pony needs right now" Luna shifts her look from the cushion to Nightmare, still confused.

"What do you mean by needs?" she asks.

"Seriously?" I ask in disbelief, "you don't understand? You obviously-" Nightmare hushes me with one of her hooves on my lips.

"Hush child" she lowers her hoof and looks back at Luna, "she should find it out on her own" Lunas face still shows confusion. She stands there, thinking what these words might mean when suddenly her expression changes, from confusion to shock.

"Are you sugesting I need the sun right now!?" her voice almosts crumbles at this sentence.

"No" Nightmare answers, "or well yes, kinda. You see, I don't mean the sun, as in the celestial body, I mean sun as in Celestia. You want your sister right now. You" she raises her hoof and points it at Luna "are scared." Luna disappears in a flash of magic, or maybe disappear is the wrong word. The Luna everypony knows disappears, the strong independent Luna, the princess of the night, the embodiment of moonlight. She had disappeared. Instead of this Luna there was a little filly Luna, lying on the bright cushion, looking up at Nightmare with big eyes.

"What have you done!" she squeakes, "turn me back this instant!" Nightmare rises her left hoof to her lips and giggles, a quiet mischievous giggle.

"Don't worry Luna" still giggling she looks at the cute filly in front of her "the magic will only be active as long as you're in here."

"Why did you change me into a filly!" she asks, her voice filled with distress and fury.

"I didn't" Nightmare answers, "this is still a dream. And we are right now in the depths of your subconsiousness. Your momentary form only displays your feelings. And might I add, it's doing it in an incredible cute way" Nightmare giggles again. A blush, in the deepest crimson there could be seen, overcasts Lunas face.

"What do you want from me?" Luna finally asks after a moment. Nightmare looks down at the filly, and that is all she can see right now. A little distressed filly. A filly with a huge blush and a quite shiver. Nightmares horn ignites and pulls the cushion on that Luna is sitting right now closer to herself. She opens her right wing and lays it down on the little body, sharing the warmth of her body with the filly.

"I want to apologise" Nightmare whispers, Lunas eyes widen at this sentence, her gaze wanders up to Nightmares eyes, "I know the feeling of being forgotten for a thousand years. If we hadn't shared the same body for a thousand years I might have actually disappeared, vanished into the nothingness of that I've risen so many years ago. But we shared the same body for so long, my soul managed to anchor itself in this realm. The dreamrealm" she continous. Lunas lowers her head in thoughts.

"While we were on the moon there was a disruption in the magic of the elements that kept us on the moon, and our soul managed to dive back to Equestria for a moment. In that moment, this moment of raw power, we found a loving couple and we inserted a shard of ourselves in their soon to be newborn before the magic of the elements returned and pulled us back to the moon." Nightmare turns her head and looks down at me, seeing me smile up to her she uses her left wing to pull me into a hug. She is warm this time. Her coat doesn't feel like made of cold glass anymore, her coat is soft and warm. And I'm able to smell her scent this time. Her smell reminds me of passion flowers and the scent of the earth after a warm summer rain.

"He might not be our biological son, but he is a part of our live" her voice starts to quiver. "Luna" the filly raises her head and looks into the eyes of the goddess before her.

"I am sorry" Nightmares eyes are filled with tears now, "I never intended to make you suffer for what I did. I never intended to take your life away from you. But I did that. I took your life with these hooves" tears are starting to stream down her face and are falling to the carpet where they turn the carpet to grass. "I'm so unbelieavably sorry" Nightmare cries.

"All we did these thousand years ago was destroying lifes" tears were still stremaing down her face as she continous, "but it happened that we managed to actually create a life, and I for my part, want to take part in this life. I want to-"

"What do you want from me?" Luna interrupts, her voice is now quiet and calm.

"I want to meet Celestia" Nightmare says after a moment of thinking, Luna looks up at her in shock "so I can atone for my sins and maybe, only maybe we might find a way to bring me back, not necessarily in this form, I don't want be feared anymore. All I want is a chances to live a life with my son. To live a life of a pony that finds pleasure in creating, not destroying. But I fear that my actions might make her deaf against my words of remorse. So I want you to talk to her, so I might be able to meet with her" even though there are still tears streaming down her face, Nightmare smiles "Of course on a realm she controls, so she doesn't have to fear anything from me" Nightmares tears had changed the carpet into a sea of orchids and lillies, they had changed the walls of the room into nothing, the ceiling disappeared too.

I look around, we are now lying in a bed of flowers on a small island in the middle of a sea, the moon shines down on us in a beautiful pale yellow light.

"Okay" Luna whispers, "I will talk to Celestia."

"Thank you" Nightmare answers as she uses her magic to bring us back into the real world. Luna closes her eyes and snuggles close into Nightmares coat. Nightmares chuckles. Not only because of Luna. I did the same on the other side.

The beautiful picture of Nightmare, filly Luna and me cuddled together under the moonlight will be something I will never forget.

I grin.

It was time to wake up, and welcome a new dawn.

Author's Note:

Sooooo what do you think of the story so far? I know I have to say this cause I'm the author of it, but I like th story so far and I'm pretty happy my brain didn't come up with any funky, crazy all destroying ideas. Sooo..... yeah.... whatever...

I hope you all enjoy the story so far. And I'm kinda sorry for the.... well sinister ending of the last chapter. I wanted to make you all fear for Lunas well being. I hope that I actually managed to do that.