• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 1,648 Views, 27 Comments

This Strange New World - GhostQuill



Bluebell Berry is an average student from Canterlot High, but when she accidentally finds herself in the Equestria as a pony, it's going to be a long 30 moons before she can make her way home again.

  • ...
10
 27
 1,648

Don't trust statues

The library was a quiet and boring place, that’s not to say it was a bad place, it just wasn’t were Bluebell usually liked to spend her time. Bluebell Berry; an average teen with ordinary light blue skin and long dark blue hair was here right now due to the most dreaded of things; homework. She was falling behind on some of her subjects and had recently been coming here more often after school to study. If you could call it that. Bluebell’s favourite thing in the world to do was decorative cooking. She loved cooking cakes or sweets and decorating them in frosting or flower shaped icing. It’s what she wanted to do when she left school. Which is why, while she sat in the library with her school books in front of her closed, she read a cooking magazine all about cupcake decorating. It was going to get late soon and she knew she had to start working on her English assignment that was due in a couple of days. Finally sighing and putting the magazine down, she took her English workbook out and opened it. For the following 15mins she proceeded to stare at the page with her purpleish eyes while twiddling her pencil in her fingers. A hand resented on her shoulder and she turned to see who it was. There, standing next to her was the greatest person in her life:Tailor Design, with his creamy pinkish skin and dark brown hair. How lucky he was to be that unique looking. Most people had blue, purple, green or orange skin or hair. Even his eyes were rare, hardly any person has brown eyes in the world. It made her purple eyes look boring in comparison. But the great thing was he was her boyfriend, out of everyone at school, he chose her. Plus he’s one of the best designing students at school, he is bound to become a great fashion designer when he grows up.

"Hey Blueberry." She smiled when he said that; the adorable and slightly embarrassing when used in public nickname he gave her.

"Hey Tailor." Bluebell was less imaginative though when it came to nicknames. ‘What are you doing here?’

"I was about to ask you that. I was finishing up a project in the sowing rooms, but it’s getting late. Shouldn’t you be heading home too?"

"No I’m staying here, I need to get some work done on this English assignment before Thursday. And thanks to my siblings, I would never get any done at home." Tailor glanced down at the empty paper before Bluebell and raised an eyebrow at her when he saw the magazine.

"Working huh?" He said as he held the magazine before her.

"Okay okay, I was reading the magazine. But can you blame me? They make these assignments so boring, I needed something to keep me awake." Bluebell attempted to take the magazine back but Tailor moved it further away.

"No, I’m taking it hostage until tomorrow when you show me that you have done some work on your assignment, an assignment you’ve had two weeks to do." Tailor put the magazine in his bag as Bluebell pouted before her homework.

"Worst boyfriend ever."

"Love you too." he leaned down and kissed her cheek then headed off to the door. "Cya tomorrow Blueberry, don’t stay here too late."


"Yeah..." She turned back to her homework and proceeded to lay her head on it hoping that being closer to the page meant that maybe it would rub off on her and she would know what to do. Obviously that wasn’t the case. Instead it caused a drowsing effect and soon she was off in dreamland.

***

Hours later Bluebell awoke to a pitch black library with the only light coming from the always full moon outside. She realised it was way later than she intended to stay at school and quickly gathered her things into a bag that she hung over her shoulder. Heading towards the door she found that it was locked and that she couldn’t open it from this side.

"What am I supposed to do now?" She looked around the library and saw a window above one of the bookcases that only had a latch on it. Climbing up the bookcase, she made it to the top without it collapsing on top of her as she’d feared and she got to work on the window. It was an old window, one that had probably never been opened before, so it was a bit tough getting it to open up. Finally she turned and kicked on the frame with her foot. It nudged a bit so she repeatedly kept kicking it. Unknown to her but it was causing quite a racket. Finally the window opened enough for her to climb out. There was a slight drop but nothing to worry about. Bluebell had one leg hanging out when she heard a shout.

"HEY YOU! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!" She was caught off guard and grabbed the window’s frame to steady herself, only her bag slipped from her shoulder and fell down her arm to the library’s floor. The person who had shouted had come from outside around the back of the school, one of the cleaning ladies who had just finished for the night had seen her. Bluebell thought about grabbing her bag but then the lady was sure to catch her and she really didn’t want to get into trouble for being at the school. With a final glance at her bag, she jumped out the window and onto the ground at the side of the school. The lady was running towards her but she was a bit on the heavy side so Bluebell was quickly able to get up and run off to the front of the school. Only thing was that the houses on the other side of the road were too far away for her to reach without being seen, she instead quickly ran up to the statue that stands in front of the school and hid behind it. At the last moment the cleaning lady came around the bend and stared out at the empty area in front of her.

"I know you’re here! Come out now!" No response. The cleaning lady walked to the front of the school to see if there was anyone next to the stairs and then headed for the statue. As she walked around the statue, Bluebell snuck around the other side always keeping the lady opposite her. When she got around to the front of the statue though, Bluebell tried to put her hand against the statue’s stand to steady herself but her hand passed right through it instead. She was off balanced and tied to catch herself by stepping forward but her foot tripped on the step and she went falling head first into the school’s statue. As the cleaning lady continued to walk around the school, she found no trace of the person she had chased.

***

On the other side of the portal, Bluebell had fallen forward and hit the ground with a yell. She was dazed for a moment as she laid on her stomach on the ground. A bruise was probably going to form on the front of her face. She tried to lift herself up but that only served to make her head spin, it was still trying to figure out what had happened. Close by her ears picked up noise coming from outside the room. A door opened suddenly into the room and it was flushed with light from outside the room. Her eyes squinted from the sudden brightness and she peered at the silhouettes in the doorway. What she saw made her eyes go wide and her heart pound rapidly. Standing in the doorway was two horses covered in silver armour, only they didn’t look like horses, they were shiny and reflected the light with their purple coats. Just then one shouted at her.

"What are you doing here?"’ It spoke! A horse just spoke, how was that possible?! Her brain was going on lock down as her heart was trying to jump out of her chest. She leaped to her hind legs and attempted running on two feet. But as she took a step she could feel herself getting off balanced and wasn’t able to stop it. All of a sudden she was falling to the ground again. With her body slammed against the ground and her arms out in front of her in the light, her eyes caught sight of the most terrible thing in front of her; she had hooves! How could she have hooves? Her brain couldn’t take it, it did the only thing it thought was logical at the moment; it screamed. Her scream was loud and ear shattering. With that out of her lungs she scrunched her body tight together and laid on the ground with her arms over the top of her face. The guards were finally able to hear again with only a slight ringing remaining as they looked down upon the pony in front of them. Concern filled their faces as they saw the bunched together figure of a pegasus, her shoulders shaking in a clear sign that she was crying. One of them came over to her and asked gently in a quiet voice;

"Miss? Are you alright?" She is too shocked to do anything, that horse just spoke and she had hooves, she wanted to believe this was just a dream but she couldn’t ignore the feeling of not having any fingers or toes. Once again the guard spoke asking if she was alright. "Is everything okay?" Bluebell shook her head from under her arms signally that that was a “no”. The same guard asked,

"Do you need any help Miss? Are you hurt?" She instead tightened the grip around her head and scrunched up further into a ball, tucking her back legs closer to her sides. The guard walked to the front of her and sat down.

"Miss? Do you need help? Can you look at me please?" Something about his voice made her want to look, it was just a nice sounding voice, one you could trust. So she lifted up one of her arms slightly to peer at him, her eyes soaked wet and her vision blurry due to her tears.

"Can you tell me your name please?" Her voice was meek from fright and muffled from her arm but she managed to squeak it out.

"Bluebell."

"Hello Bluebell, my name is Rubinstein." That got a slight snort of laugher from her and a trembling smile. He chuckled himself soothingly, "Yes I know it is a bit funny sounding, now can you tell me what you are doing in here?" Her smile dropped and her eyes welled up again with tears, at that she wailed out;

"I don’t know!" She started balling her eyes out again as she laid there, neither guard were really sure what to do. Suddenly the other guard who had stayed by the door was shoved into the room by more guards who had rushed to the room.

"What’s going on in here?"

"We heard a scream!" The extra guards in the doorway then laid their eyes on the mare who was lying in the middle of the room. They each entered the room and gathered around her. She then opened her eyes to look at the source of the new voices and quickly slunk her head back down in fright. Before her were 5 very big stallions, each with shiny armour and each looked very intimidating. She began scooting backwards on the ground away from them but always keeping them in sight. Her breathing was becoming more ragged and she nearly leaped out of her skin when her back hit the wall. Rubinstein started to slowly walk up to her, unfortunately so did all the other guards.

"It’s okay Bluebell, we are here to help. There’s no need to be afraid." They were all surrounding her as she leaned up against the cold wall, they blocked every path out from this darkened room. Her heart was going a million miles per hour, her breathing was close behind and her brain had crashed into the guardrails into a smoking wreak a long time ago. It was all her body could take before it shut down on her. Her eyes rolled into the back of her head and she fell forward for the ground once more. Only this time Rubinstein was luckily close enough to grab her before that.

Author's Note:

If you're interested, here is an image of Tailor. And here is one of Rubinstein. (You'll have to scroll down the list until you get to the "R's".) Yeah, turns out Rubinstein is a real background pony and I didn't make him up. I'm not even sure what his name means, I just chose him because he was the closest looking background pony to the Crystal pony guards