• Published 26th Feb 2012
  • 901 Views, 10 Comments

The Journal of Candy Mane - TheLadyBard



Candy Mane is a mare without a mark. This is her journal: a document of her trials as she faces them

  • ...
0
 10
 901

Out of Ponyville

25 Days Before Winter Wrap Up, Year 2 of Sororal Rule

It’s those Crusaders. They’re getting to me again with their cutie mark story collecting. Dashing around town, they managed to talk to Colton and Could Kicker, Ramona T. and Carrot Top. (Thank Celestia they didn’t ask Berry Punch.) It hurt though, that they couldn’t ask me. Just because it can’t be seen on my flank doesn’t mean I don’t have a special talent. Oh, who am I kidding. That’s why I style my mane the way I do. I want ponies to think I’m pretty. I want them to see a lovely peach-colored mare with bright pink eyes and a classily curled mane. What I don’t want them to stare at is my infuriatingly blank flank. I spend all this time trying to be presentable, but they look at me like I’m a not even a pony. Part of me wants to gallop off to Canterlot where it’s normal to wear clothes all the time, and where it’s a thing of decency that a mare covers her mark. Alas, the only earth ponies in Canterlot are servants or musicians.

Maybe I could go to Manehattan. But then I’d have to spend time with father’s friends. Gah. Just because I’m a Mane doesn’t mean that I’m a true socialite at heart. My siblings live there. I’d have places to stay, even though they’ve ignored me all these years. Once I was reached an age that Equus World Records contacted me, asking if I was ok with being listed as “World’s Oldest Blank Flank,” they’ve ignored me. I mean, send me to the moon, the prior record-holder wrote me a letter of pity.

Maybe my special talent is just being talentless. I hate to think though, of how broken that makes me. Even the “talentless” have hourglasses. They’re supposed to mean something like all things in time, but then why don’t I have that? Is it because I know I wouldn’t be happy as a 9-to-5-er? I just feel so filthy and wretched and useless.

I need to sleep. Maybe I’ll write to Cotton Mane tomorrow and see if she’s got room for me in her Manehattan apartment. Well, I guess it’s Cotton Puff now. I’ll be sure to make it a priority.


23 Days Before Winter Wrap Up, Year 2 of Sororal Rule

Well, the letter was sent yesterday. I only hope that poor mailmare of ours can have it there by the 20th. I’m including the copy I had made.

Dear Cotton,

It’s been far too long since we’ve spoken, dear sister. I hate to be the one to reopen a friendship with a need, but I wish to ask of you a small favor. I’m considering moving back to Manehattan, and if you have room, I would love to spend time with you as I search for an abode of my own. Goodness (and father) knows that you can never really trust an advertisement, and must certainly personally consider a home before purchase. I’ve been busy peering through listings, and there are a few places that have caught my fancy, so I would be very little burden during the day. If, of course, the notice is too short, I would gladly take a room at a hotel of the city.

Now that business is out of the way, how is your lovely family? I hear little Cream Puff has taken after your dashing husband, and isn’t so little anymore! I’ve seen him in the papers. A clever business stallion and a true gentlecolt. And your darling filly Whimsy is just a shining star at Celestia’s school. I’m so glad that your girl takes after mother. She would be proud that her unicorn heritage didn’t fade when she wed father.

As you are quite likely aware (I know how much you love her style! You’re rarely photo’d in anything else!), Rarity’s newest line is coming out in just under a month’s time. What you may not know is that she’s opening her line early in Ponyville by a margin of three weeks! If you would so like, I could capture a few of the designs for you, and bring you decidedly ahead of the fashion curve.

Post goes out in just twenty minutes, so I’m afraid I’ll have to stop here. I can’t wait to hear from you again, dear Cotton!

With love, Candy.


17 Days Before Winter Wrap Up, Year 2 of Sororal Rule

Finally got a reply from Cotton. At least it gave me time to actually look through listings. I had already talked out my decision to move with Rose Luck, and she was very understanding. It’s good to know she had time to find new help around the shop. Beyond the typical mundane experience of moving, it has been simultaneously very easy and difficult to leave Ponyville.

On the one hoof, it’s a quiet town, and admittedly, I’ve been missing the hustle and bustle of Manehattan, and the society of Canterlot, whether I’ll admit that to father or not. On the second hoof, Pinkie does her best to make it as un-quiet as possible, and I’m not sure if I love or despise that about her. (I’m leaning towards “greatly enjoy.”) However, on the third hoof, because Twilight Sparkle is our librarian, we have one of the best public collections in Equestria, and one of the only libraries I’ve found that has anything even remotely covering delayed cutie marks. (Largely present due to those dratted CMC.) On the final hoof, I had though a smaller community would be more accepting, and on the surface, they are; however once one has been here a few years, it’s revealed that a small town is just as prone to hurtful gossip as the city. Surprisingly, Rarity is the only mare in this town who hasn’t made some comment about my lack of a mark. Oh, I will miss that mare.

And speaking of, I’d best dash over to the boutique before she closes up. I’ve got to snag those dresses Cotton wanted.