• Published 6th Oct 2013
  • 2,261 Views, 29 Comments

Love Potion No. 6 - Flint Sparks



Rarity and Twilight are having relationship troubles on the night of their third date.

  • ...
10
 29
 2,261

Chapter One: A Night Out

Rarity paced in circles around her boutique, deep in thought. Several stray pieces of half-finished sketches littered the floor, sheets of fabric lie forgotten and thrown in every direction. The Boutique was an absolute mess, akin to its owner’s state of mind. Her mind strayed to several of her worries, but they would always lead to one conclusion. Usually such behavior was reserved for any difficulties when creating a new fashion line, but today was a little different. Tonight she had a date.

Rarity, despite her noble demeanor, was a simple pony at heart. She was more than happy living in Ponyville with her friends, even if it meant saving the world more than once or ruining a hooficure. As long as she still had a mane at the end of the day to style, she was happy. If she had to go to lengths to get her hooves on a particular rainbow mane, she would. Besides, she wasn’t in any hurry to move to Canterlot, not since the fiasco of a Gala that one fateful night.

Rarity paused, stopping to growl at the image that dare creep inside her head. In her mind’s eye she saw Prince Blueblood smirking at her with a rose in his smug mouth. An imaginary hoof punching the rose out of his jaws teased a smug smirk of her own. If only she could strike him in reality, imagine how royal his pain would be with a few missing teeth!

Her pacing ended at last. She sighed and sat down, wrapping her curled tail around her haunches. She had been at it for hours, just pacing. Obsessing.

Sweetie Belle was with her friends, crusading for their cutie marks like young fillies do. When will she learn that one’s cutie mark is not merely an activity, but a pony’s true destiny? After all, Rarity’s talent wasn’t finding diamonds, despite the flair they provided upon her flanks. Rarity didn’t mind her sister’s adventures, after all a new cutie mark was perfect to inspire a new line of clothes for her sister, especially if it had aesthetic appeal. Having an inkling of what talent may emerge from her sister’s heart, Rarity was more than excited in her wait. The sensation of discovering one’s destiny was more than worth waiting for, and not one Rarity was quick to snatch away from her beloved sister.

Rarity began humming, trying to distract herself with thoughts of her sister. She had quite a few hours to prepare, but had wasted them on fruitless paranoia. Her hoof began tapping to an unknown beat to an unknown song. Her anxiety began to bubble at the surface, until her mouth opened to belt out a heartfelt song….

“I took my troub-”

Bang bang bang bang bang

Rarity stopped mid-note, the magic of her heart’s melody abruptly ended. Further irritated, Rarity inhaled a few times to calm herself before calling out. “Coming!” She trotted across the room, fixed a loose lock of hair in front of her eye, and regained her posture before opening the door.

“Well hello, welcome. I am Miss Rarity and this is my Boutique,” Rarity greeted as she opened her shop’s door with her magic. In front of her stood a tall stallion, chest muscles slightly bulging out of his striped jacket. The stallion tipped his white fedora and allowed Rarity to show him in, Rarity recognizing him from previous business transactions.

The stallion had a dark coat, a black color that stirred feelings of subtlety rather than intimidation. He was wearing a black and white pinstripe suit to accentuate his natural colors. Rarity caught a lock of brown hair when he tipped his hat, but the fedora now covered his mane. His tall and lean appearance was more soothing to Rarity than regality. At least with this stallion she was treated fairly, no matter what deal was set on the table.

The stallion coughed before speaking. “Nice ta see you again, Miss Rarity. I can see your boutique has seen better days.” Rarity giggled and waved a nonchalant hoof.

“Oh, you know me. I just got in the zone, heh heh…” Rarity laughed, nervous. The stallion, noticing the twitching in the corner of her lips and the trails she traced with her hooves, recognized the classic signs of a nervous mare. He sighed and took off his hat, placing it on his chest. Rarity stopped her anxious cackling and stared at his mane. It was brown, but glossy.

“Miss Rarity, it’s alright,” the stallion reassured the mare. “I’m just here for the normal protection fees, after all. Purely consensual, I hope?” He raised an eyebrow at the frazzled mare. She was one of his top-clients, always paying on time. She was also one of the first to actually approach him for his services, ever since an incident with rogue Diamond Dogs. The rival gang was a pain in his flank, but he was more than happy to claim a key defensive point on his turf.

“Of course! I wouldn’t dream of being coerced into shady dealings, mind you. Here, I have the payment we’ve agreed upon, and then some for your excellent service.” She turned around and levitated a small wooden box and floated it toward the stallion. “I have all the gems you’ve asked for, perfectly cut and sorted by type. I hope it’s satisfying for your taste, Mr. Capo-”

“Please, Miss Rarity,” the stallion interrupted, placing a dark hoof on her shoulder. “It’s Alfalfa. Just Alfalfa.” Rarity, seeing the genuine look of concern in his hazel eyes, sighed and set the box down. Alfalfa rubbed a small circle in her shoulder before setting it down. “I assume you wanted to discuss something more than a small payment, neigh?”

Rarity sighed and her ears drooped. Without any adieu, her horn shined blue and brought forth a hidden bottle from a forgotten saddlebag. She held it in front of him and opened her eyes, a pleading glint shining from them. The pink bottle glowed before him, causing Alfalfa to hesitate before continuing.

“Ah, I see. Having second thoughts my dear? Love is a tricky business, much more than simple ledgers and balances,” Alfalfa suggested, scratching his head before placing his fedora atop it. Rarity flipped her mane, thinking of a decent response.

“Well, I’ve thought and thought about it until my little head couldn’t take it anymore. I love my darling, you understand, but I don’t know if I can go through with it. What if she discovered my treachery, and it tarnished our dear relationship? What if it worked too well, and she became a slave to my desires? I don’t know if our friendship could survive such an atrocity,” Rarity explained, pacing back and forth in front of Alfalfa. Now that Alfalfa’s attention was called to it, he did notice that Rarity’s mane lacked the luster it usually had. She had cared for it, as expected, but the careful curls weren’t as well-defined and the volume was reduced, as if she had forgotten to shampoo.

“Miss Rarity, I can reassure you that your worries are justified, but nothing to worry about. Just read the label, and I guarantee that the potion does what it says. Nothing more, nothing less. I’ll expect full satisfaction and nothing else from my best customer.” Alfalfa touched the bottle with a tender hoof, as to not disrupt her magic, and rotated it so she could read the label. Rarity silent mouthed a few words, taking in every line and possible meaning.

“I would never expect a bootleg, Mr. Alfalfa, but a lady must consider her options before taking such… drastic measures.” Rarity sighed, taking the bottle in her hoof and holding it to her side. Alfalfa placed a hoof on her shoulder again and gave a small shake. Rarity looked up and he forced eye contact, grabbing her attention.

“Look, Miss. The potion will work as intended, and I will claim personal responsibility if it doesn’t. Take it with you, in case you have second thoughts. If you don’t use it, bring it back and receive a full refund, no questions asked.” Alfalfa dropped his hoof and walked to Rarity’s door. He turned around and tipped his hat. “I bid you the best of luck on your date, Miss Rarity.”

Rarity threw up a hoof. “Wait, what about your payme-”

Slam!

She dropped it. She had intended to clear her conscience and just return the bottle to the kind businesscolt, but he had closed that door on her. Literally.

Rarity rolled her eyes, deciding to get out of her distress. She had a choice to make and she didn’t have the time to worry about it anymore. She threw the bottle into her fanciest purse along with enough bits for the night, and trotted upstairs to clean herself up.


As Alfalfa left the boutique, he failed to notice the two hidden ponies waiting in the alley. Two pairs of eyes followed him as he passed. He paused, wondering if he was alone, but shrugged and continued. Once he was out of sight, the two shrouded ponies stretched their wings and flew toward the sky, landing on the Boutique’s roof, where they began their vigil.


Rarity, in a bout of inspiration since her meeting with Alfalfa, had finally remastered her appearance. A good brushing fixed the curls and volume of her mane and tail, a small amount of mascara brought out the dazzle in her eyes, powder for blush, and just a light touch of lipstick for that alluring yet classy air around her. Rarity blinked a few times, ensuring no makeup had gotten into her eyes. Making sure her lipstick wouldn’t smear and having a little fun, Rarity practiced her kissy faces and pretended to flirt with her reflection.

A quick glance to the clock reminded her it was time to move on. Rarity slipped into her evening dress, a simple tight-fitting red gown with frills. Rarity posed in the mirror, observing every curve of her body and ensuring each was accentuated accordingly, maximizing her appeal. Her form was slender, carefully treated and cared for through proper dieting and exercise. The dress was sure to remind everypony of that. Tonight was the night where everything may change, and Rarity wanted to look her best at the very least.

Downstairs somepony began knocking on the door. Rarity quickly adjusted the straps of her dress and decided she looked absolutely fabulous for the night, and hastily trotted downstairs. Behind her door, she took a few deep breaths to calm down. Everything was hanging in the balance, and she wasn’t going to let a little nerve ruin it for her. She levitated her fancy pink purse and placed it over her flanks like a saddlebag. Without any lingering doubts, she used her magic and pulled her door open, revealing her date and lover.

“Hello darling. Are you ready to have a delightful night?” Rarity asked, fluttering her eyelids as she spoke. Her date blushed in response, almost choking back a reply.

“O-of course, Rarity! Third time’s the charm, right?”

“Excellent. Shall we?” Rarity offered a hoof to her partner, who gingerly took it. “We must be going, or risk being late. A lady should not loiter, especially with such an important reservation at an important establishment.”

Her date giggled as they walked outside the Boutique. “Of course, our carriage awaits us for this reason. After you, Lady Rarity.”

Rarity blushed at the compliment, her cheeks warming in the crisp autumn air. Their third date together, and possibly last. If only I can prevent it.

“Why thank you, Princess Twilight.”