• Published 28th Sep 2013
  • 1,011 Views, 24 Comments

Green Fields - Jakomi of the Rose



Ben, a human from Earth, was transported to Equestria by Discord. With promise of return he just waits.

  • ...
18
 24
 1,011

Chapter 2: Through the roof

I woke up as usual, by the nudging of Macintosh. However, when I opened my eyes it wasn’t Mac but Applejack. I lifted a tired eyebrow at her, noticing that she was just as tired.

“AJ? What is it?” I asked, my voice croaky after just waking up.

She snickered at my voice but looked at me a little more serious.

“Time to get up, Ben. Mac an’ Ah are waiting down stairs.” She said then turned to walk out.

I sighed out loud and woke up. Not tired as I was yesterday but not close from it. I got up and walked down for breakfast.

I sat down with next to a fully awake Applejack and a half-awake Mac. I got some of Applejack’s coffee and sat down. I looked through my notes from yesterday about the City Hall. I only hoped that I’d get the roof done today. And with the contract-work coming in I was never going to be finished until tomorrow. Tomorrow. September 21th. My birthday. I only hoped that Pinkamena decided to put the party during late time, like 6 or 7 o’clock. Not that I planned on being there.

“So, ya busy today, Ben?” Applejack asked through her chews.

I nodded, placing my notes on the table to get some breakfast of my own. If I was going to make the roof in time, better start early. I only hoped that the pegasi were early-birds… (That pun was terrible). If I did manage to clear the roof I hoped to get some more contracts done.

“By the way, AJ…” I began getting a hum as she ate her slice of bread. “… You and Mac need help with the apple cider this year?”

Mac swallowed and answered: “Eenope. We got it this year, Ben. Don’ ya fret.”

I nodded, looked through the notes and then closed them to get dressed. Better get working with the roof despite the early hour.

I took the cart with my tools and went to the City Hall where three very tired pegasi waited for me… well, Timbur was a little hard to determine if she was awake since her mane was always a mess.

There were no other ponies around. Being 5 o’clock I wasn’t surprised. The tiles stood aside and a small smile crept to my face.

“You ready to begin?” I asked, getting a few tired nods from them all.

I climbed up to the roof with my tools, removed the cover to finish the work we started yesterday. Nailing a few planks to support the tiles and asked Timbur and Mono to bring me them a few at a times. Looking around a few times to see if I could see Rainbow Dash. Hoping that she would help.

The sun was rising in the distance and just as I finished the last tile I heard the sounds of wings behind me. Expecting to see Dash I was instead greeted by a couple of crossed yellow eyes. We stared at each other for a few silent seconds before the gray pegasi gave me a letter.

“A letter for Benjamin Emmanuel Fields.” She said with a smile.

I took the letter from her mouth and opened it. It was from Rarity. A request to see her at her boutique. I looked over to the gray pegasi who was still smiling.

“Umm, thanks, Miss Doo.” I replied and leaned back only a little since she was a little close for comfort.

“You’re welcome.” She chirped. “Gotta go, have a lot of letters to deliver.”

I looked at her with a thoughtful expression when she flew off… judging from her eyes I couldn’t tell if she actually saw or just concentrated. Ditzy Doo or Derpy was Ponyville’s mailmare… but I even more curious how they would employ her as a mailmare in the first place. ‘Maybe it’s her positive attitude.’ I thought to myself, chuckling at the thought. She was next to Pinkamena regarding the positive outlook. The number of wrong deliveries was staggering. Maybe she got lucky today. She flew off with her mail singing and almost bumped into Timbur. I stared at her for some time when Chrome knocked on my shoulder. He held the “crown” to the roof on a rope and I climbed up to get it screwed on.

I sighed tiredly but at the same time smiled at my job now finished. Now I could get that scratched out. Looking at Rarity’s letter I better get to it. Knowing Rarity for about a year I know how much she hates late appointments.

Her shop was called Carousel Boutique and made its name for being round like a… well, a carousel. Her mannequins looked like figurines you ride on a merry-go-round. I knocked three times. Waited a few minutes before knocking again. From inside I could hear a muffled.

“Coming, coming.”

The door opened and a white unicorn with a purple mane and tail that ended in elegant curls looked at me with a smile. She looked tired. Too tired for being 10 o’clock in the morning. I greeted her with a smile. Rarity. Ponyville’s very own tailor and expert on all things fashionable. She was also my tailor since she was the only one who could. Her work on making shoes for me could use some work, though.

“Ah, Ben. Welcome, darling. Come in.” She said, leading me inside.

I followed and glanced at her pony mannequins with elegant suits and dresses, both finished and unfinished. She took some measuring tape from her cupboard and walked towards me.

“Okay, Ben. Please, stay still.” She said, using her magic to take measure on my arms, legs and my torso.

I stood as still as I could only lift my arms or legs if she wished it. For being her she was very silent. Her frown changed from time to time otherwise no talk. What could have been about an hour she finally talked.

“Sorry about that, Ben. But I needed to take your size for a project.” She apologized and sewing kits flew from the shelves to the table in front of her.

I said nothing; however the growling of my stomach reminded me that I wasn’t getting breakfast anytime soon.

After what could’ve been a few minutes I had to ask.

“Rarity, I hate to be curious but what are you making?” my question did not take away her concentration.

She continued her work for a few more silent minutes before answering with a snicker:

“Ben, dear. It’s a surprise for you. You just have to wait till tomorrow.”

I sighed, doing my best to hide my curiosity, mainly because of hunger. Pinkamena’s surprise yesterday made me hate surprises. Hopefully something that didn’t include a heart-attack on my part. I looked around for a while, deciding whether or not I should leave her alone to work in peace.

“Oh, by the way, Ben. Could you talk to Fluttershy? She needed some help and she doesn’t like to write contract-work. She doesn’t want to give you more to do.” She added when my hand touched the door-knob.

Not to give me more to do? I needed something to do. I nodded and got out. My stomach decided to remind me of something more important. Okay. Brunch at Sugarcube Corner, then I visit Fluttershy. Hoping that she could keep her composure to speak without stuttering. Which was the thing about her that kind of made her hard to understand.


Her cottage was in sight when I closed in. Like the Apple family she lived aside from everypony. Near a forest called Everfree Forest. Never been there myself but hearing about it made me shiver.

Her animals surrounded me when I knocked on her door. I heard light hooves on the wooden floor. Her door opened slightly and she peeked out.

“Yes? Who is it? AH! BEN?!” she suddenly gasped when looking at me, eyes wide.

I greeted her like the others. With a smile that caused her to turn slightly red.

“Rarity said you needed my help with something?” I asked gently.

She stepped out, hiding behind her mane the best she could. She led me to her chicken coop and with her hoof pointed to the inside.

I-I-I n-noticed t-that their r-roof was l-leaking. C-c-could y-you t-take a l-look?” She asked, stuttering like crazy.

I looked over to her and noticed that she dug at the ground with her hoof as she became more nervous. If she kept digging she’ll have enough space to plant another tree.

I looked inside the coop, touching the wood slowly. No corrosion. I, despite the uncomforted position, checked the roof. There was a slight denting. Only a few centimeters. But replacing the plank would be better.

I took measure just as she was about to speak.

Umm, B-Ben? H-h-have you t-thought about y-your b-birthday t-tomorrow?” she stuttered a question.

I hummed as I wrote.

“Yeah, I have, 137 centimeters, and I’m still unsure I want to attend. I’ve never been big on birthdays anyway.” I said placing my notebook in the pockets on my thigh.

Fluttershy nodded, going silent again. I looked at her again. She avoided eye-contact, unsure what to respond. That was the case. I disliked birthdays. Even more… since last year.

D-do y-you m-mind explaining why?” She asked with curiosity and care in the same tone.

I sighed. That tone reminded me about something she asked me a year and a half ago. I almost laughed at how alike Fluttershy was to Madeleine. My heart sank as she crept into my thoughts. Of all people I missed her the most. Why did I think about her now? She was, in some aspects, the opposite of Addie. I looked at her for a few seconds.

“I just don’t. One year older. So what? Nothing to celebrate.” I answered.

She looked… hurt? There was nothing to make her feel bad. If I said that to Pinkamena, however.

I once again took out my notebook to see what more needed to be done. I turned to her with pencil in hand.

“Okay. “ I started waiting for her to react. “Something else you needed help with?”

She nodded and walked to her cottage. She guided me to her couch. I checked it for something particular only noticing a slight wobble. One of the legs was… bitten? By a mouse or perhaps by a white rabbit that thumped its foot on the floor, paws crossed and a frown. To boot, it looked at me. And now I know who I could blame.

The rabbit was Fluttershy’s pet. And despite its name being Angel, it was far from one. I had to replace the leg. Carving it to the same frame as the rest. I drew the same shape and its measure. It is work like these that never let me finish other jobs.

“I get it done by tomorrow. Try to make the rodents to stop biting your furniture and I’d be grateful.” I said giving her a smile.

She nodded with a light sigh. I went for the door when she started stuttering.

“B-Ben? If you want t-to I can ask Twilight if you need to talk. Or you could talk to me if something’s bothering you.” She said in the same kind tone as before.

I gave her a nod.

“Thanks, but no thanks.” I replied, smiling and getting out before she asked more.

That didn’t change. I hated people who wanted to get under my skin. I wanted to solve my problems, on my own. AND I remember my girlfriend saying that I was like Cloud. Something I hated. I’m not a brooder, okay?


I got home to Sweet Apple just in time to see Applejack and Mac crushing apples for the Apple Cider Season that started in two days.

I got my saw, my plane and my hand drill to start working. First with the plank to her coop. Then the saw to plane out the wood for her couch. I sometimes wonder why the local carpentry didn’t do anything. I mean, I’m a human who can do more detail with wood and gardening. But wood could be more detailed with unicorns magic.

As I planed the wood I remembered why I came here in the first place; when I first arrived here I was in many discussions with Celestia about what I could do. Farming was my occupation with my father and my siblings. My big brother was sadly; too lazy for helping out with the chores I did around.

My sister’s homework, same there. She was better than my brother. She helped out with the things he didn’t. I wonder how they were. If my father’s alright. I miss them.

“Ben?”

I snapped awake at the voice of Applejack near me. I looked at my half-finished couch-leg. Must have been lost in thoughts. I looked at her and sighed.

“Yes?” I asked simply.

She and Mac looked at me with slight concern. That was until I slipped with my hand and cut myself on the planer. I yelped and dropped my tools. Cursing silently, I grabbed my hand and put pressure on the cut. It was minor, considering and I grabbed a bandage from a kit I always had close. Pays to be prepared. Applejack sighed and walked in front of me.

“Ya gazed out to Celestia knows where and Ah kept asking if ya were okay. Well, are ya?” she asked this time with determination to get her answer.

I clenched my teeth in frustration. Not towards AJ but towards my own mind. I was always thinking about home. Now more than usual. Damn it.

“Yes, AJ. I’m okay. Just, remembered my family.” I answered.

She made no movement or showed any signs of speaking back. I continued.

“I see reflections of people in my world in almost everypony here. Homesickness, I believe.” I said, not hiding my unhappiness.

Applejack straightened her hat for some reason before humming.

“Ya sure we don’ need to talk to Twilight? Ya could let her help ya out.” She suggested after some silent seconds.

First Fluttershy, now Applejack. Next thing you know Rarity or Pinkamena could ask me the same thing. Well, Rarity would. Pinkamena look like she needed psychiatric help more than me.

“I already went through this talk with Fluttershy and no I don’t need help. I just need to get some work done to stop thinking about it.” I explained as I continued the planning of the wood.

Applejack snorted. She stomped her hoof on the ground before angrily responding:

“Why are ya so reluctant to talk about it? Ya just need to get it of ya’re chest! Is that so bad?”

I sighed frustratingly. It wasn’t the first time I hid it from her. My first nights here left me sleepless and regardless of Applejacks pushes I stood tall, not telling her.

I took some sandpaper to even the edges of the leg to focus my frustration away from Applejack. After some time I got to her.

“Okay. Tell Twilight I need to talk. But only between her and me. Psychiatrists do have a code of silence.” I said while I did my best to hide my annoyance.

Applejack smiled victoriously at my defeat. I knew she would do this act. Siblings tend to be a little teasing to get what they want. And this could help me get rid of my homesickness.

“Good. Ah speak to Twi tomorrow but until then, ya better get ya’re mind straight, ya hear?” Applejack smirked on her request.

“I need her to give a letter to Celestia about something.” I continued.

Applejack’s smirk dropped, as did one of her ears. I kept planning the couch-leg in hopes to get it done.

“And why would ya do that?” Applejack asked rather worried.

I sighed. As I placed the plane on the workbench I looked up to the sinking sun. The orange radiating the blue to leave room for the night. I can be poetic if I want to, okay?

“When I came here I asked Celestia if I could return home. Though aloof she said she could but asked me to give Equestria a chance. I have. But I miss home. I don’t belong here.” I explained.

Applejack looked at me wide-eyed and just as quick she flared up in anger.

“WHAT?! Why would ya do that?!” she angrily asked, almost stomping her hooves on the ground.

I took a step back but needed to stay tough.

“I miss my home, AJ. Besides, I only need to find out if I can return home. If I do then I might.” I said, realizing that I made this a lot worse.

Applejack growled like an angry dog then turned towards the house. Apparently too angry to talk to me. I sighed in frustration but needed to make this right.

“AJ! I’m sorry, alright? But I need to do this!” I yelled after her, seeing her tail swishing from side to side in anger.

She stopped to look at me. Her eyes were angry to the point of furious but I could see hint of tears.

“Don’t apologize to me.” She said in anger. “Look Apple Bloom in the eyes and tell her ya’re sorry.”

I clenched my jaw in anger but felt my heart drop at the sound of Apple Bloom. I placed my hands on my workbench to keep myself up in anger. At the sound of the door closing I stomped my foot on the ground at the lack of anything to kick. I muttered a curse under my breath as I remembered something my father always used to quote:

The best planned ideas are the ones you keep to yourself.

And now I know what he meant by that.

Author's Note:

There, corrected that fault... I really need an editor.