• Published 18th Aug 2013
  • 473 Views, 5 Comments

The Moon's Shadows - Scroll Keeper



Two explorers toil away in a dark cavern and find a city lost to time. Nocturne The City of Night Mare Moon.

  • ...
 5
 473

Forgoten shadows

Two dirty ponies toiled away in a gray stone cave. A unicorn stallion with a scroll and a quill, and a pegusus mare with a compass for their cuti-marks. both of their coats to dirty to tell the color. The dirty mare inspected a equally dirty brown vase. The unicorn inspecting a pale blue rune on the back wall of the cave With his magic. “Daring...” The stallion spoke “Daring Do get over here” he continued in an excited voice.

“What is it Scroll? This is a Night Mare Moon era vase.” The mare replied in a raspy voice holding out the vase that depicted the phases of the moon. “yeah OK that's pretty nice and all but I think it's not as nice as you know this Night Mare Moon Era door and all.” He said and pointed to the rune. “It's an activation rune Daring it opens the back of the cave. We're in a tunnel not a cave.” He says giddily.

“Do we open it?” He asked her looking at the rune. “why are you asking me Scroll Keeper?” she replied nervously her magenta eyes wide. “Your the leader of the expedition!” He accused. Green eyes just as wide. “Daring...Daring...Not it.” he continued. Her eyes narrowed and she grabbed his head and smoshed it to the rune. “Not cool Daring Do not cool.” Smugly she walked through the opening that had appeared and gasped.

“Scroll?” She asked awe in her voice. “Yeah Daring.” he answered looking out over the huge cavern. “did we just find the lost city of Night Mare Moon?” He just points to a spot not four hooves away. Welcome to Nocturne. The city of our Queen Night Mare Moon she just blinks at the words and tells him “You know ancient caverns don't usually come with welcome signs”

“Hey look a statue! And it's making what appears to be... bread?” Scroll keeper said in a confused manor looking at the lifelike statue of a baker taking out a tray of bread or cake. “Now why would they make such a statue of a baker? I mean it's a thestral and that's pretty strange and all but still ” He pondered. “Hey look there's more” Daring said Pointing down the road. “There must be hundreds”

“A Guard, a shopkeeper, hell there's a street sweeper. It's like the whole city was just frozen it time. It must have taken decades to carve all of this.” Daring said pointing to various statues. Then she frowned and looked at the street. “Is that obsidian in the ground?” She asked the stallion. He looked at the street with her and did indeed see sparkling obsidian in a two inch wide line heading down the road. “No It couldn't be” he said and followed the line at a trot. “Scroll? Where are you going?” The mare called as she hurried after him a little unnerved with how real the statues looked. “No no no no it's impossible not the entire city.” Scroll Keeper mumbled as he followed the line. “It's true. They aren't just lines. Daring It's a Ritual Circle! The whole City is a Ritual Circle!” He said excitedly.

“A circle? Then what the focus?” Daring Do asked “Scroll?” she continued when he didn't answer. She saw that he was pointing to a large pedestal with a single statue on the raised platform, all the black lines leading up the sides and on to the dais. Once they climbed the stairs up to it they See that It was the statue of a tall armor plated unicorn frozen in a graceful bow as if awaiting someone.

“Look” Daring said and pointed to the circle of words around the statue. Scroll Keeper moved closer and read “May...The...Stone...Find...Those...Loyal...To...Protect...Them...From...Time...Until...Our...Queen...Rises...Again.
May the stone find those loyal to protect them from time until our queen rises again.” He translates. “Daring we need to leave. Now.” Scroll said pushing her in the direction of the stairs. She just nodded and trotted to the entrance.

“That should be impossible right. Not the whole city. Right?” Daring asked as we stepped into sunlight again. Scroll Keeper sighed and replied. “I thought so two but there is you proof Daring a whole city frozen in stone.“ He replied. “I saw foals Scroll, Foals for Celestia's sake!” He let out a frustrated huff and yelled back “Don't you think I saw them too? I saw just the same as you, but i can only hope that because the spell has held this long that it will hold until we tell the princesses.” She nodded and gave him a quick kiss and replied. “Your right we should tell the princesses about this. Sorry for blowing up.” He smiled back and said. “Sorry too.”



A red unicorn stallion and a tan pegasus mare sat nervously in a small meeting room of of the thrown room. “I can't believe we are going to meet both the princesses.” Scroll Keeper said as he fidgeted in place. “I know I know we just have to play it cool is all” Daring said back trying fruitlessly to straighten her monochrome mane. Just as he was about to reply, in strode the two majestic mares that ruled Equestria together. Hastily both the archeologists dropped into a bow.

“Rise my little ponies. I have been told that you have important news for us.” Princess Celestia said as the two sisters settled on a couch together. “Something you found on your journey perhaps? Something So important that it requires the presence of both of us?” The princess of the night asked. “Right” Daring started ”We found Nocturne, the lost city of Night Mare Moon” they both gasp at that then Scroll finishes with “But there is a problem”



“What sort of problem?” Celestia with and elegantly arched eyebrow asks while Luna looks as if she had seen a ghost. “Well princess, we think that maybe, if we translated right anyway, that the whole city might have frozen itself in stone... Including all the ponies.” Daring answered hesitantly looking between the two Alicorns.

“The ponies may yet live?” Luna asked tensely as she heard this. Scroll Keeper answered with “It's possible that is what the ritual circle was meant to do anyway. We say hundreds of statues. Stallions, mares, even foals. We didn't even see half the city, but I think the ritual lines reach all the way across the city.” Luna looked to her sister and said to the two explorers “Meet me in Ponyville in one week to take me and a team into the city.”

As they left Celestia turned to her sister and was about to say something when Luna cut her off by staring her down “Give me one good reason that it should not be me to go to them. That I should not try and atone for my sins. I just need a single reason Tia” The goddess of the sun sighed and gently hugged her sister. “Pick your team well Lulu.” Luna smiled and hugged her back replying. “Do not worry sister I know exactly what six ponies I am going to take.

Author's Note:

woo chap one lets see how this goes. hope i don't suck to bad.