• Published 23rd Feb 2012
  • 1,082 Views, 18 Comments

Day By Day - Magicolt808



Tragedy strikes a certain cyan pegasus

  • ...
2
 18
 1,082

Midnight

Chapter 4

As Rainbow Dash lifted her head, she could barely make out the room before her. Bright light streamed through the windows and reflected brightly off of the white walls. As her eyes adjusted, she could make out that the walls were made of clouds but it was not a room she had in her cloud home. Though confused, the room did seem to give a nostalgic feel to the pegasus as she looked about the room. Then it hit her. It was her childhood home.

Memories of her foalhood were coming back to her as she recognized the toys and the bed shaped like a pegasus in the middle of her room. She couldn’t believe her eyes. Even the Slipstream doll was on her bedside table, in the same position it had always been for years. Every detail was back and as clear as day.

As she walked about the room, she noticed a mirror that she had not recognized until further inspection. The mirror was the same as the one from her dream. When she gazed upon the mirror, her reflection made her step back in astonishment. The image that stared back at her was not one of a 21-year-old mare, but that of a 7-year-old filly. She stood for a minute, dazed by the unexpected sight.

Rainbow dash then lifted a hoof hesitantly towards the mirror. As she touched the reflections face, the mirror seemed to give way to her hoof, bending around it, making the mirror seem as though it was made of liquid mercury. Dash stood still, unsure of what was going on. She tried to toughen up but was frightened by thoughts of what might become of her if she continued to venture into the swirling abyss.

Shaking her head, she mustered up enough courage to move forward towards the mirror. As expected, the mirror bent around Dash’s body, letting her into its mysterious confines. As she emerged from the mirror, she found herself looking at about twenty other pegasi. She recognized this place all too well and wanted nothing more than to leave right away. She was in flight school.

As Dash stepped away from the mirror, a booming voice called to her.

“Miss Dash! Take your seat now! You’re late!”

Dash looked up in surprise at the command. She had not expected to be disciplined for she had not been forced to do something since she left for Ponyville. When she did not move, Thunderclap stared hard at the insubordinate student.

‘I’ll give till the count of three or I will send you to the principles office.”

Dash was now confused. She had forgotten where she sat but was relieved to see a pony pat on the seat next to her. Dash sighed with relief as she sat down next to the kind stranger. As Dash looked over to say thanks, she was taken aback at the pegasus that sat next to her. Young Fluttershy sat next to her and was as, if not more, cuter than she already was. Dash turned a beet red at the sight of her friend. She was so entranced by Fluttershy, that she did not hear Thunderclap calling her name.

“That’s it! I’ve had it with you! Go to the principles office now!”

Rainbow snapped out of her trance to see Thunderclap waiting impatiently for Dash to leave. Dash slowly got up and made her way towards the door. As she walked out the door, she looked one last time at Fluttershy, just as she turned a slight tinge of gray.

As Dash exited the classroom, the scene changed once more to a clearing in the woods. Dash recognized the forest as being the Everfree Forest but was unsure of where or how deep she was from the edge of Ponyville. As she walked, sounds of unfamiliar animals and rustling leaves filled her ears. Though it was the middle of the day, the thick canopy above blocked out the sunlight, leaving Dash in an eerie shade.

Suddenly, Dash could hear a faint humming in the distance. Craving for salvation, she rushed towards the source, hoping to leave the Celestia forsaken woods. As Dash neared the voice, she couldn’t help but smile. It was beautiful and light. The sound made a staccato rhythm that Dash swayed to as she flew full speed at the emanating noise.

Just up ahead, a flash of yellow caught Dash’s eye and she sped up to meet with it before it disappeared. As Dash entered the clearing, she was met with a sight that again, took her off guard. Fluttershy had been singing to the birds and was still the tinge of gray she was before. As Dash neared her, Fluttershy turned around. As they made eye contact, Dash was unprepared for what happened.

Fluttershy ran up to her and hugged her friend, tears rolling off of her cheeks. Dash almost pulled away immediately. As she did so, Fluttershy became even more gray, her yellow fur almost completely colorless. Dash hadn’t been expecting that reaction upon her arrival and questioned Fluttershy of her intentions.

“What the heck are ya doin’ Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy blushed and looked away from Dash.

“I’m sorry. When your parents told me you ran away, I got scared and I was worried something had happened to you. What are you doing here anyway?”

Dash suddenly realized something. She remembered this happening almost eleven years ago. This was a week after she had left Cloudsdale to find Fluttershy. Not being able to read a map, she got lost and had stumbled across Fluttershy in the Everfree Forest. Unable to answer or protest because of complete shock, Fluttershy dragged Dash to Sugarcube Corner to meet her new friend.

“HI! I’M PINKIE PIE!”

----+----

“Something’s not right,” Twilight said, rubbing fatigue away from her face.

“What’s wrong Sugarcube?”

Twilight spun around.She had not expected her friends to still be up at this late of an hour.

“Applejack, what are you still doing up?”

“Ah couldn’ sleep on account that one of mah friends could be lost forever.”

“True. But what about the others?”

“They are all asleep. It took some time to calm Pinkie down. She fell asleep in a puddle of her own tears.”

“How about Fluttershy?”

Applejack looked at the next room with a sense of concern.

“She isn’t fairing too well.”

“Well neither is Rainbow Dash.”

“What do ya mean?”

“Look. Her mane has lost two of their colors. A pony is totally lost if they lose all of their color. She’s fading fast and there is nothing to do to help her.”

“Wait! There has ta be somethin’!”

“Well there is one thing.”

“What?’

“Pray.”