• Published 29th Sep 2013
  • 584 Views, 12 Comments

Comfort Far Away - Spic Ultimo



I've never known anything about my childhood. I've been told by the orphanage I was found on the street as a child. Tired of my life there, I ran away to a small town called Ponyville in hopes to forget everything I've known.

  • ...
3
 12
 584

Party With Pinkie (Rewritten)

As we approached the colorful building, I started to have second thoughts. What if there was a serial killer waiting inside? Or better yet, what if some psycho was going to turn us into cupcakes? Never having been in a situation like this before, I didn't really know what to do. Echo noticed my hesitation, and gave me a nudge with that goofy grin of his, and apparently, that was all that I needed. Bracing myself for the worst I reached for the door handle, and pushed it open.

"Hello?" I spoke into the dark building, "Is anypony he-"

"SURPRISE!"

"AHHH!" I yelled, completely surprised by the loud noise that attacked my ears. Taking a look around I noticed a banner that said "Welcome to Ponyville!" and was attacked in a hug by a fluffy pink mass that smelled like bubble gum. As I tried to recover from the ringing in my ears, the pink one was bombarding me with questions that I couldn't hear. I looked over to Echo and saw that he had his hooves over his ears and his eyes shut tight, despite being a loud pony himself.

"Were you surprised? Huh?Were ya? Were ya? Were ya? You see, I've never seen you around town before and I know everyone, and I mean everyone in Ponyville so when I saw you with your friend I thought you would feel alone being new In town and I know I hate being alone, but then again, who doesn't? Being alone is like, the worst feeling ever and- mfffhh!"

"Alright, that's enough Pinkie." Said an orange mare with a southern drawl. I vaguely remember her being at one of the stalls. "Ah'm real sorry 'bout that. Pinkie can be a little over-energetic at times."

"Uh, its okay..." I said while scooting over to Echo, giving him a few pokes on his stomach. "You can open your eyes and uncover your ears now, coast's clear." I told him. He stood back up and took a look around before getting that grin on his face.

"Alright! Party!" he yelled while taking a look into the crowd of dancing ponies.

"Y'all right, Sugarcube?" The orange mare spoke, apparently I had dozed off... again... great, so much for first impressions.

"Yeah, just a little shaken. I'm not used to anything being louder than Echo." I said, gesturing to him while he was... crowd surfing? That escalated quickly. "Umm... I'll catch you later..." I said, never have gotten her name.

"Oh! Where are mah manners? The names Applejack, but 'ya can call me AJ If 'ya like." She said extending her hoof. "Whats yer name?"

I bumped her hoof with mine. "My name's Solus, and That over there's Echo..." I trailed, not really knowing what else to say and ended up making the conversation awkward.

"Well, Ah'll leave ya t' enjoy yerself, its yer party after all." That felt stanger to hear. I've never been to a real party before... just the times me and Echo would buy a couple of doughnuts and eat them on the roof of the orphanage while looking at the stars. Surprisingly, he "found" a book of constellations one day and we got to memorizing them. That was probably one of the best times of my life. I looked up and noticed AJ was gone, along with the pink one. I had dozed off again. Shaking it off, I headed over to the buffet table, and found Echo in a muffin eating contest against a gray mare with a blond mane. Her eyes seemed... off, and she was beating Echo by a landslide. She was inhailing muffins one by one while Echo stopped trying and looked on in disbelief. The crowd around them continuously chanting "GO!GO!GO!GO!"

'Someone's enjoying himself.' I thought as i grabbed a chocolate covered doughnut and bit int it. I widened my eyes in disbelief at the pure sweetness of the pastry, never having one as good as this one. I quickly ate it, only to take another one in just as fast. 'Chew, Solus' I thought to myself, finishing the doughnut and looking around the table for anything else that looked tasty.

Suddenly I heard a loud cheer, followed by "DERPY! DERPY! DERPY" I looked over to Echo, but this time his eyes were staring straight ahead and were twitching. I walked over to him and rested a hoof on his shoulder.

"You okay?" I asked when I didn't get a response. He semed lost in a faraway world.

"Too many muffins." he said before darting over to he restroom in the far corner before I could question. Well, he enjoyed himself while it lasted, at least. I started scanning the crowd, when the music dimmed down a bit and a voice came out of the speakers.

"Everypony make some noise!" I looked up and noticed a white mare with a stunning electric blue mane and a music note as her cutiemark, surrounded by large speakers that were flashing lights to the beat of the music. She was also wearing some purple glasses, it seemed. She brought out a black record and set it on the turn table. Suddenly loud electronic beat was blasting through the speakers around the DJ booth. It was a new type of music I've heard about recently. What was it called again? Dubtrot? Eh, I'll just stick to my old fashioned hard rock, but that doesn't mean this music wasn't enjoyable either. Out on the dance floor, lights were flashing, were ponies dancing, and everypony seemed to be having a good time.

Seeking out refreshments to quench my thirst, I started walking around in search of a... a punch bowl? They have those at parties... right? Well, I'll find out soon enough. I walked around the crowd of ponies, not wanting to get bumped into and have to awkwardly apologize. Soon enough, I saw a table with various drinks. I walked over and right away spotted what I was looking for. Apple Family's Apple Juice. My face brightened, and as I extended a hoof to the closest bottle, I bumped another hoof reaching for the same one. A light blue hoof. Slowly I looked up and found the mare from earlier today, the one with the captivating eyes.

"Oh, um, I'm sorry." She said. I didn't respond, however. I was too lost into her eyes. Suddenly, I realized I was staring and quickly snapped out of it. I pulled my hoof back while awkwardly apologizing.

"I'm sorry, It's just that your eyes... they're so... " I trailed off, finding myself getting lost again. "Beautiful..." I finished, to which she blushed and smiled.

"W-well, I like your eyes too..." She said looking away. It was my turn to blush. I had that feeling stirring in my chest again. It was so foreign, but so right. "Whats your name?" She asked.

"Solus... and yours?" I asked in return, looking around as to not get trapped in her eyes again.

"Ares Starlight, but you can just call me Star, if you want." Just as I was about to respond to that, I heard a voice over the speaker again, this time, a bit more high pitched and energetic.

"Can anyone find the new ponies? We need to celebrate their coming into ponyville!" Once she finshed there was a loud cheer.

"I think that's your queue." Star stated, I nodded to her, grabbed a bottle of apple juice with my wing, and made my way over to the stage nervously. Once up on stage, I noticed Echo wasn't around, and began to panic.

"Where's your friend?" The white mare asked quietly from behind the booth. Suddenly, there was a loud flush of a toilet and Echo came out finding everyone staring at him. I waved at him to come up on stage and he ran up as fast as he could. Pinkie then came up to both us us, holding a microphone with the curl at the font of her mane...

"Alight! Right here we have..." She directed the mike towards me, startling me slightly.

"Oh, Solus." I said, voice cracking a bit from the nervousness, and was awarded by a cheer from the ponies on the dance floor.

"And his friend..." She said, directing her mike to Echo next... oh boy.

I quickly covered my ears, as he grinned, before yelling into the mike. "I'm Echo!" The speakers began to ring from the sheer volume of his yell, and the crowd of ponies all visibly winced, before giving a small glare at Echo.. The DJ, however, seemed unfazed.

"Alright! Everypony give these two ponies a proper welcoming!" She yelled into the mike which caused everypony to yell out as loud 'Welcome to Ponyville!' as loud as they could. Echo, the nut he is, started bowing to the crowd before he set a hoof around me.

"So, Solus, word around town is that you can sing. Care to sing for us?" the DJ asked, followed by the rapid nodding of pinkie in agreement. I contemplated it, never having sang on a stage with a microphone before. I quickly decided against it, seeing as to how many ponies there were, in comparison to what i usually deal with when I sing.

"M-maybe some other time..." I trailed off, getting a few disappointed groans from the crowd.

"One more question!" Pinkie said, "Why don't you have cutiemark? Most ponies around your age should already have one, shouldn't they?" There were a few whispers going around in the crowd, all eyes now on my blank flank. Now there's something I don't think about. It doesn't really bother me either, though. I never really sought out to find my special talent like other ponies do.

"I haven't really tried finding my talent. It's never been that important to me." I said, getting a gasp and multiple confused looks from the crowd.

"Now that's a story for another time! I'm sure we'll be the bestest friends ever! Anywho, lets keep the party goin'!" She said, firing up the crowd, and the speakers, once again. As I was stepping off the stage Echo dove into the crowd and started crowd-surfing again. I've never seen him this happy before... it made me feel horrible to think I was going to leave it behind in that wretched place. Looking around one again, I sought out to make the best of the party.

*****

Sometime near the end of the party, I found myself talking to Star again, and we stepped outside for a quieter environment.

"And those three stars up there, the ones lined up, make up Orion's belt. " I said, showing her the constellations. We were sitting on the grass idly conversing, and we eventually got to star gazing. "And the full constellation makes up Orion, A warrior said to have walked on two legs and come from a far away land a few thousand years ago.

"How do you know all this?" She asked with a light giggle. "I thought you said you didn't have anything more than a fifth grade education."

Grinning, I said, "Me and my friend, Echo, would look at the stars as colts. We found a book on constellations, and got to memorizing them. Well, mostly me, anyways. Echo was never patient enough." I said, with a light chuckle and looked over to her. She turned to me as well, and we sat there staring into each other's eyes. I found myself captivated again, and slowly, we both started leaning into each other. I closed my eyes and got closer, an-

"D'AWWW! Look at you two!" I heard from behind, causing me to yelp and fall backwards. I looked at the source of the yell, and found Echo staring at us with a gleam in her eyes, and hooves pressed into his face making his lips puff out.

"Echo!? What are you doing?" I asked, my heart pounding from the shock.

"I've been looking for you! The party finished, like, ten minutes ago!" He said in a very matter-of-fact tone.

"Oh shoot!" I heard Star say "I gotta go! I'll catch you later!" she said darting off. She stopped a couple of feet away, however, before coming back and giving me a peck on the cheek. "Bye!" She said, shooting off into the air. I stood there, a bit shocked and felt my face flush. Did she just-

"Echo to Solus, come in Solus." Echo said, knocking on my head. I quickly shook my head, and began to walk back into the building, face still flushed.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the late chapter!!! I went out of town for the weekend, and didn't have much time to do this without it getting in the way of my family. As apology, I made it extra long just for you guys!

Anyways, As always, cover art and editors still being accepted!

Have a Nice day!

--Solus
P.S. Thanks to all of you who have been sticking by me so far, I really appreciate it :D