• Published 15th Aug 2013
  • 738 Views, 16 Comments

The Trouble with Gryphons - Broniesrponies2



The Gryphon Kingdom is threatening war. Celestia sends Josh to diplomatically solve the problem.

  • ...
1
 16
 738

Changes

Colors twisted and twirled past my face. I tasted sounds, saw tastes and heard light. My brain started to heat up past the melting point of lead as it used up more and more capacity trying to make sense of insane happenings as I twisted through dimensions. My body warped as my height became my weight and my weight my age. I grew shorter then started to lengthen as time stretched my body. Shapes and scenes flashed before me. I felt myself physically getting weaker. I shut my eyes, trying my hardest simply to keep myself sane. There was a blinding pain behind my eyes and then nothing.

I opened my eyes to see nothing but clouds around me. The sun was below my feet and the ground above my head. A slight wind started that soon turned into gale. I could barely think after my trip through wherever I had just been. I tried to put my hands above my head to brace myself for the inevitable landing, the thought of turning to jelly on a ground that I could barely see not even registering. My twisted mind slowly began to come back to me, along with something else.

Shat out for only five seconds and you are already going to die. Fucking pitiful.

Who are you? Why are you in my head?

I registered the sea of green below me. It was a forest. There was a town off to the side with a mountain range in the distance.

Oh, come on! You can solve this. You know how.

I had no idea what it was talking about. My strange, snide passenger was talking about things that-. My eyes opened. The vibrant green of the forest seemed to emanate towards me. Light burst upwards. I felt the forest within me. I flexed muscles belonging to the hydra and drank sunlight through the leaves of a thousand year old tree. Time seemed to slow. I was back in my body, a blazing fire in my eyes. I knew how to survive. My hand extended before me and the vibrant green of the forest coalesced into a glowing green ball of energy.

Oh finally you figure it out. I though that I would actually have to help you for a second. The mere thought makes me-

"SHUT UP" I shouted. I dropped through the forest canopy, the tree limbs blown out of my way by the orb of light ahead of me. I felt within myself and added part of me to it. Instantly, the ball turned into a bloody crimson. I let it hit the ground and then released it. The explosion was visible from Canterlot. Trees were blown away, the closest ones simply being obliterated. A shockwave of destruction rippled from my landing point and crashed through the surrounding forest.

Two winged figures flew over the area and saw me lying in huge crater. I looked wasted away. My skin was taught over my bones, muscles barely showing. My body had used up almost everything to keep me alive in the void. The figures flew down towards me, their outlines becoming less blurred as they flew closer to my supine form. They were two young women. One was grey, the other was blue. They spoke for a while, their voices muffled by distance. They landed next to me, picking me up between them and carrying me in the direction of the town that I had seen on my way down.

I was rushed into a hospital room where i heard mere snatches of conversation. My mind was giving up on staying conscious and my vision swam, growing dark at the edges. Voices faded in and out of focus.

"Almost dead-"

"-happened? How-"

"- out of the sky-"

"-saw an explosion-"

"-you went-"

"-course-"

"-found him-"

"-he awake?"

"-don't know."

The blackness expanded, covering my eyes. I seemed to be looking through a tunnel at the world. Then there was only a field. I blinked. I looked down at myself to see that I was as I had always been. I had been lying down before, but now I was standing. I turned, watching the amber wheat of the field ripple in a warm breeze. I started to relax. Nothing could be wrong here.

Well, aren't you just the happiest little fucker?

I spun around. A figure was walking through the forest. It looked exactly like me, but waves of darkness seemed to emanate from it. Wherever the waves went, the wheat shriveled and died.

I need you to live properly. I want to move and stretch and kill, but you are in the way, and if you die, we die. So, here is what I have in mind. You can be your normal do-goody, wimpy, useless self. But, if something needs fighting, let me do it. As much as I hate you, I'm stuck here, so lets make the most of it.

Why should I say yes?

You know why. Because if I die, so do you. We are two sides of the same mind. One cannot live without the other.

Yes, I know. I know that you knew that I wouldn't say no, even if I should.

Yes and it disgusts me.

That isn't important.

It is to me. Now wake up you sack of shit.

My eyes opened instantly. My vision was blurred and I could barely see. I used some of my new knowledge. A crimson light played across my eyes. When it died, my vision was flawless. I tried to sit up, but I could barely move. I tried to focus, but knew that my own energy reserves would not be sufficient. I reached out with my mind, pulling at the energy of the ground. It wouldn't move, so I poked it instead, then tried to suck at it. Grudgingly, it slowly came out and soaked into me.

The feeling was incredible. The tectonic plates shifted, the air brushed over a desert. My center was spinning. I was part of a being that was so immense that I could barely comprehend it. I felt like I was about to be swallowed up. Painfully, I dragged my mind back to my body and focused on my atrophied muscles. They thickened out, then grew dense and powerful. I shifted my focus to my bones, growing them, condensing them. I finished with bones that would break steel such was their density. I sat up and looked around.

I was alone in a hospital room. There was a bed, a small table and a window. That was basically it. I stood up, then felt the hunger. It hit me like a wave. I groaned, and doubled over. I staggered towards the door and fell against it. Twisting the handle, i straightened up and pushed the door open. It was a fairly plain hallway. There was a sign at the end pointing the way to reception, the cafeteria and several different wards. I followed the sign to reception. As hungry as I was, I had no money and no idea what money I would need, had I had any.

I turned the corner and came face to face with a horned woman covered in light fur and a nurse's uniform.

"My Celestia! You're awake!"

I was confused. She was speaking English, but there was something about the words themselves that didn't connect.

"Shouldn't I be?" I asked.

"Not for a month! We even had Twilight use a spell to see-" It clicked.

"Nurse... Redheart?" I asked, slowly, stunned.

"Yes. Wait, how-?"

"Oh God." I started before something snapped me back to the present. I doubled over.

"What's the problem? Are you still injured?"

"No. I'm just really hungry. How long was I unconscious?"

"Three months."

"What?"

"Three-"

"I heard you. Is there any way that I could get some food?"

"Umm. Well, we looked at your teeth. You're a carnivore aren't you? That could be a problem. We were going to get gryphon food in when you were due to wake up but-"

"I'm an omnivore. I can eat vegetables."

She was visibly relieved by that. She told me to follow her, then led me to the cafeteria. There, I learned about another human who had recently appeared in much the same manner, except this one claimed to be dead...

Author's Note:

I don't know what else to put here.