• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 1,926 Views, 58 Comments

The Nightmare - Cirrus Sky



Even locked away, Nightmares remain and exert influence. What if they were to be released?

  • ...
5
 58
 1,926

Chapter 4

Rainbow drifted down to the ground, Twilight still wrapped around her. “Hey. Hey Twily, you can let go now.” She rubbed a thin nightgown clad shoulder. Slightly teary amethyst eyes looked into hers. “Hey, it’s safe.”

Twilight dropped her legs to the sandy ground. “Thanks.” She whispered out, surveying the scene.

They had landed close to the main group of people, slightly up one of the narrow tributaries to the river and not far downstream from the dock the boat had been bound for.

Shining and Corporal Pie were settling the camels and horses. The crewmen were examining what cargo they had dragged ashore. The cowgirl and the graceful woman were unloading a lifeboat of their possessions. It looked like someone had kept their head in the crisis. The sky-men who had arrived with them were furtively going through some of the washed ashore items.

The fact that everyone seemed to be ok calmed her down. That was when Twilight realised something. “My luggage! My books! My clothes!!”

-*-

“There we are dear, much better yes?” Twilight was sat behind the carefully upturned lifeboat with the glamorous Doctor Rarity Belle. She had heard the outburst about lost clothes.

“Thank you Dr. Belle.” Twilight smiled, she was now wearing a button up blouse, sweater vest and a knee length skirt thanks to the helpful archeologist.

“Rarity darling! Please.” She patted the librarian’s shoulder. “We were just a little more, ah, paranoid dear. I’m afraid Jack gets very concerned out on the water.

“Ah don’t see that as wrong.” The blonde replied, sat guarding the approach to the boat. “If folk were supposed to take to water we’d all have fins.” She glared when Rarity tittered a little and continued, “I just keep the important stuff in something extra that floats. ‘sides it worked for us right?”

“Yes dear.” Rarity winked at the librarian. “Well Twilight, I can release you back to your friends.” She waved the woman on her way and repacked her bag. “Jack, really, I wasn’t scolding dear.”

“Ah know sugar cube. Ah suppose an ‘ornery gal like me shouldn’t be ‘fraid of a little water though.” She chuckled at herself and came to stand closer to the lifeboat. “Still, saved us a lot of good kit.”

“Indeed darling, you were well prepared and had us rowing out nearly as soon as the first shot finished sounding.” She patted the ground beside her. “Sit, I know you won’t rest but I find it hard to sleep without you close.” Jack covered the last distance and settled to the floor, shifting her gun off her shoulder to sit beside Rarity.

“Ah suppose I can watch from by here sugar cube.” She said. Rarity smiled and lay against her.

“Thank you dear. I just need a little rest before we set off.” It didn’t take long for her to fall asleep. Her gentle breaths part of the background noise Jack would miss if it were gone.

-*-

“Nice new outfit Twilight!” Pinkie shouted to the librarian when she returned.

“Thank you Pinkie. Dr. Belle... I mean Rarity, she had all her bags and loaned me something better to wear.” Twilight explained as she approached. Shining was packing bags onto camels, the horses had been claimed by the crewmen and Dr. Belle’s team, but they had hired the larger animals for their expedition. Pinkie was squeezing water from her socks, swimming and trekking through the water had soaked them through, stood barefooted on the sandy ground.

Rainbow seemed a little distracted, even though she had been looking directly at the librarian. Unconcerned, Twilight joined her brother to see what they had salvaged.

“Wow, she looks amazing...” Was all Rainbow had been able to think. Twilight had lost the dowdy skirt that went to her ankles, the replacement blouse and close fitting sweater vest did wonders for her figure. The colours were muted but were perfect for the conditions they’d be facing. It was a makeover that was really giving Rainbow reasons to think and some impure thoughts at that.

They had a long hard journey ahead however, with potential dangers ever apparent. Now was not the time for her to go falling for an egghead.

-*-

The last of the cultists had been subdued with only minor casualties for his men. A’triet cleaned his sword in the river, the Flare worshippers were drugged and insane by the time his warriors had met them on the other side of the river and death was the only way they would be stopped. Issuing a quick prayer to whatever would take pity on such madmen he moved on his way. The injured would need to return to the encampment for medical attention.

They would continue their mission to dissuade those who would disturb the prison once their numbers were refreshed and their princess consulted. He had expected cultists but not some so well equipped.

-*-

While the tourists and travellers waited for dawn to set out, the groups heading to the Flare Prison decided to make a move. Rarity’s group had horses to make the journey; they had been well funded enough to bring them along. Twilight though was perfectly happy with camels. “They are the best for the desert.” She said levelly to the complaining Rainbow.

“She’s right you know.” Shining added, only slipping slightly when his mount stood. “Fine animals these chaps.” He patted the dusty hair on its wide head. The baleful gaze of the camel halted his actions. “Good… good lad.”

“Wheeee!” Pinkie was sat on her camel (With one hump not two!), she had produced a smaller fez that matched her own and placed it on the animal’s head. The be-fezzed pair were soon clumping along happily. Still slightly sulky, Rainbow settled herself on her ride. Her mind was still buzzing with thoughts on her employer that Miss Sparkle probably wouldn’t appreciate.

They soon reached the small village that the boat should have docked at, just as the dawn rays lent their light. “We need to get some supplies.” Twilight said to her group. “Food, water and maybe some materials to record what we find.” She looked at the satchel at her hip, “This was all I was able to salvage of my kit. If anyone has anything I could use, that would be helpful.” There were several non-committal replies and they split up to collect the needed items.

Before mid-morning arrived, they were ready to set out. “So, Ms Dash, where do we go from here?” Twilight asked, looking up at the currently airborne flier.

“Just getting my bearings,” She held a hand up to her eyes and looked across the horizon. In the distance sat a ruined tower, the first landmark on their trek. She had made the map from memory after tracking through the shifting sands to civilization months before. “Ok, we can set off now.” She landed on the back of her camel and gee’d it onwards. Twilight, Shining and Pinkie followed behind.

The team on horseback were close behind. “Hey Crash!” A slimy voice shouted over as the five horses passed by. “I got a bet on that we’ll arrive first, you lot’ll sink into the sand before reaching the gateway!”

“I’d take that bet!” Shining shouted to the thug. Twilight rolled her eyes, her brother really was a poor judge on when to flash his cash.

“How about this, first team to get there picks what spot they get to dig.” Rainbow said, not letting herself be aggravated by the coward. “If that’s ok with the brains of your outfit.”

“A wager would make things more entertaining.” Rarity said. She had another immaculate white outfit on, glowing in the sunshine. Her sunglasses and pith helmet protected her from the glare. Jack merely huffed, at the wager. The cowgirl was leading their spare horse and still had her rifle strapped to her back.

“It’s a deal then.” Rainbow shook hands with the archaeologist having brought her camel alongside. Returning to position she led the group.

-*-

Deep in the desert an oasis lay. It was surrounded by greenery and growth and at this time, the squat tents of the Guarding Ones. Their horses stood and drank at the pool of water and the warriors who were still healthy from the fight prepared to once again set out.

Their task was important and they had undertaken it for over a thousand years. To prevent anyone reaching the prison of the Nightmare and releasing her, by accident or design. Their princess relied upon them to do so.

“A’triet,” a familiar voice called. The man inclined himself to a slight bow and touched a hand to his forehead. “No need for that old friend.” The voice was regal but tinged with merriment.

“Your majesty, you are the princess and I will show my respect.” He let humour into his tone, “My grandfather’s grandfather would say as such also.”

“I know, faithful warrior, but he was a heavy handed man when it came to such things.” The princess stood beside him. “I have long forgone all but my three duties, to bow and prostrate thyself is needless.” She was not as tall as the warrior, but her bearing left one feeling her to be as such. Her dark blue hair waved in an unknowable breeze as the very night sky glittered within. She was dressed in a deep blue variation of the warrior garb though her armour and weapons were great ancient treasures in comparison to the battered plates the guards wore.

“Aye princess, but I show respect to one who holds the sun and moon in her palm and has walked since my ancestor’s time.” A’triet turned to look at his leader. “We are ready to once more to ride out and dissuade the girl, Sparkle.”

“Yes, though no harm is to befall them, someone dear to my heart would not approve of inflicting injury upon the scholar.”
“Of course, though our people in the Edge village say a second group also travel to the ruins.” He shifted a little. “An archaeologist, her body guard and two men known to be treasure hunters.”

“We will need to do our best to stop them.” Her eyes clouded with magic a moment. “A sandstorm should set them on the path to home.” A’triet bowed to the princess once more. Her power meant his men could rest this night.

The worst injury had been one of the younger men he had brought along. The boy had wanted to help and was of the warrior age. A’triet decided to check on him, he had gained a wound taking down the largest of the cultists. A tent, barely different to the others bar small pink detailing put in place by its steward, served as their medical space, the woman who lived there was a skilled physician.

“Mēi,” The warrior called out as he approached, she was a timid woman and it would not do to scare her. The tent flap moved slightly and a tall graceful figure exited, her pink hair a soft sheet that reached her waist. “How is the patient Mēi?”

“He will be fine, though young Klin will not be taking on six foot tall mad cultists armed with blades for a few weeks.” She lifted the flap to reveal the boy sleeping on a bed pad, his green hair held back by a bandage wrapped around his head, others swaddled his arm and shoulder.

“He was brave, as brave as any of us Mēi.” A’triet gave a bow to the sleeping Klin.

“Yes and just as much a worry.” She gave him a lopsided look; once again the tribal leader was reminded she was his equal in height, something her retiring nature often hid. Before he could react her hand darted out and wiped at a cut on his brow with a small white square of cloth.

“My, you have speed when you want it.” He smirked through the sting of antiseptic.

“I have to, treating all you foolhardy warriors too manly to take treatment.” She levelled one of her infamous looks upon him.
“You catch us all though sister.” A’triet gave her a quick squeeze. “Our lady has sent a sandstorm to dissuade the treasure seekers. We should avoid battle tonight.”

“I hope it is enough to keep them away. I couldn’t even bear to think what would happen if they reached the prison.” She shuddered a little. “Though the storm, it will not hurt them?”

A’triel shook his head, “Never fear sister, it is just enough to make them reconsider.” Someone called him from within the camp. “Take care sister.” The leader left her to her task, grateful that there had not been worse injuries.

He hoped that the travellers would be turned back by the sand, he too could not even think of what could happen if they reached that which they sought. He and his ancestors had long worked to prevent it. The cultists were the only ones to ever get near and they wouldn’t dare enter the structures out of respect for their dark goddess. A small boon for the warriors of the desert.

In the distance he could hear the sandstorm’s beginnings.