• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 1,924 Views, 58 Comments

The Nightmare - Cirrus Sky



Even locked away, Nightmares remain and exert influence. What if they were to be released?

  • ...
5
 58
 1,924

Prologue

Once, long long ago in the magical land of Enchantria, two sisters held twin thrones. The elder ruled over the daytime and the younger over the night. Sadly, in time, the younger began to feel maligned and ignored. As her work was unappreciated, the people lived and worked in daylight but retired to bed at night when the moon rose.

Increasingly upset and envious, the younger sister fell deeper and deeper into darkness. Her sister, caught up in her duties and the delight of the day did not notice her beloved sibling’s descent until it was too late and a Nightmare emerged.
Horrified, she tried to reason with what her younger sister had become but the effort was futile. The girl was lost to the darkness that had grown in her heart. Struck with panic and running out of ideas, the elder sister took drastic action.

Using complex spellwork and items of power, the princess of the sun drew the darkness from her sister and took it into herself. The task done, her last act before losing herself to Nightmares was to seal herself away from the world deep in the desert away from her subjects and precious sister behind wards and magic.

The younger sister, no longer consumed by darkness but instead filled with sadness at her sister’s sacrifice and the great loss, withdrew from the world. She tasked herself to guard the Nightmare and fulfil her duties in raising sun and moon. Leaving her mortal subjects, her court and her military forces to rule themselves from now on, for better or worse. She took but a small force to assist in guarding the Nightmare from mortal man.

Her task was difficult, the dark power was great. Despite her best efforts, facets of the Nightmare reached out to dark hearted man and cults to the power were formed. Battles were fought between the protectors and the worshipers even as centuries passed and the immortal princesses fell from historical fact to myth and story. No one really thought they had ever existed, bar an adventurous few who sought out treasure and fame and those whose task was to guard or resurrect the Nightmare.

Now our story shall begin…

Author's Note:

Cookies if you can guess what film gave me this idea.