• Published 16th Aug 2013
  • 522 Views, 8 Comments

The Quest For Iscanter - eternalsquire

  • ...
8
 8
 522

Miyuki's Question

It was a dark and stormy night...

Miyuki, daughter of the legendary (and now full-time homemaking) space battleship captain Derek Wildstar, had woken up from the sound of a nearby lightning strike. This terrified her from her nose to her toes. She really didn't want to sleep alone tonight, so she walked over to the main bedroom, crawled over into her mother's place, placed her head on the pillow, and slept there. She felt loved and secure being close to both her parents, but for tonight even just one would do.

Her father found Miyuki in his bed as he woke up the following morning. He kissed her on her forehead. "Rise and shine, kiddo!"

"Daddy, I'd like to stay home today.", Miyuki said.

"What's going on?", Derek asked.

"At school today, one of the boys told me that you had killed his father. He was very angry at me about it. I don't want to go to that school anymore. May I please stay home?"

Derek's eyes widened in surprise, his gut felt dismay for his little girl, and his jaw took on the rigidity of anger at the situation. I knew someday it might come to this, he thought, but I was hoping not nearly so soon!

He forced a smile. "I understand, Little One. It's only a preschool you're going to. The law doesn't say you must go at your age. But I feel school is good for you. You can stay home today though, I'd enjoy the company during chores, then later we can walk in the park and play on the gym set. But tomorrow you be brave, and ignore the other kids questions for now. I promise you Mommy and Daddy will get to the bottom of this."

"THANK YOU, DADDY!", the little girl shouted in pleasure and relief. She bent over and kissed her father on his forehead.

"No problem, Kiddo", her father said.

The rest of the day went by as if it were still the weekend. First item one the agenda was breakfast, bowls of rice flakes with milk. Next, of course, was to clean up after themselves. They then ran a load of laundry. Then Derek taught the girl how to cut up beef for teriyaki for lunch.

Derek had to spend a few hours on his terminal reading and responding to the latest intelligence reports, as that was how he earned his pay while inactive. However, even unpaid, he felt the duty to helped the Earth Defense Forces however he could.

During this time, his daughter entertained herself watching cartoons, watching a flat 2D image on the house holoscreen. By now the cartoon noise had become constant background for him over the past several months, so by now he had become somewhat familiar with the imaginary universe his daughter immersed himself in. Sometimes he would even turn his head to watch the interaction between the ponies, pegasi, and alicorns in the stories, and soon became aware of at least the main story arcs over the series of episodes, ending when Twilight Sparkle earned her wings and became a princess.

His little girl was still young enough to require daily naps. He carried her to her bed, and laid her down to rest. Today this would buy him at least an hour. Today, he would try to put it to the best possible use. He would call his physician.

Dr. Seighn picked up immediately. He saw who was calling, and smiled. "What can I do for you today, Captain?"

Derek grimaced. "Please, Doc, I'm not active anymore, so don't call me by rank."

"Whatever you say, Captain", the once veternarian pressed into service as physician teased. Yet immediately after seeing the stormy weather in his friends's eyes, he took on a more serious tone. "What's going on, Derek?", the doctor asked.

"Two things, Doc.", Derek started. "One, my child is being bullied at school by a classmate whose father evidently died under my command. Second, she's beginning to withdraw into fantasy. She's less interested in school, doesn't nearly draw or play as much as she used to, but watches a continuous series of antique two-dee animated cartoons going by the general title of "My Little Pony."

"I see...", the doctor responded.

"But I wonder," Derek said, "if the same thing is happening to other children in the kindergarten age, give or take, who lost parents during the Years of Fire. If so, we've got to cook up a solution, and fast, or we're going to have a generation of pretty resentful or withdrawn or even hostile children."

Dr. Seighn nodded. "I really don't have much experience with anything but the basics regarding human psychology", he said, "let alone child psychology. I'm going to need to contact a specialist."

"Thanks!", Derek said.

"How's she interacting with you and Nova?", the doctor asked.

"She loves us like crazy and trusts us absolutely.", the former captain said. "It's just other parts of life she's beginning to withdraw from."

"I'll get back to you on this.", the doctor promised.

Derek smiled, as he said, "Domo Arigato, Sensei!". Then he cut the connection.