• Published 22nd Feb 2012
  • 1,501 Views, 46 Comments

The Manehattan Project - Dash Is Best Pony



Celestia sends Twilight to Manehattan to work on a magical weapon.

  • ...
0
 46
 1,501

Tired and Confused

Twilight looked out of the train’s window numbly. The scenery rushed by in a dark blur of flora and moonlight. It was later than she was used to, even on her inspired late night studying sessions. Yet despite her fatigue, Twilight was unable to rest her mind. She lay awake with heavy thoughts, staring through the hills and forests. Everything speeding by was oddly satisfying, technology sure was amazing. BUCK, technology was the last thing she wanted to be reminded of at the moment.

Twilight was dumbfounded. She had never wanted hurt anypony before and that’s exactly what was being asked of her. The Princess wanted her to create something knowing that it would hurt others, kill them. But what was more important, keeping herself clean of guilt or obeying the Princess? Which was the lesser evil? Should she risk disappointing the Princess or risk being the indirect murderer of others?

Did the Princess even feel remorse over this decision? She hoped that the goddess at least had her own misgivings about the weapon. Provided Celestia did have doubt, then she must have a very good reason to go through with it. Twilight hoped that Celestia had an excellent reason. After all, if the Princess had a good reason maybe Twilight could use it to convince herself that what she was doing wasn’t the most horrible thing she had ever committed to oh no it totally is this is bad what to do what to do?

Twilight buried her face in her hooves and thought deeply, reflecting on everything. She needed logical reasons to consider, not this maelstrom of emotions whirling around in her skull. There were good reasons to willingly work on this project and there were good reasons to want nothing to do with it, but she was so biased, after all, how could she not be biased about her own life? There had to be a logical, unbiased way to work it out. She would start with facts. She would make a checklist, those always worked.

Ha! This isn't so hard as long as I approach it systematically. Twilght grinned maniacally and envisioned herself etching the glorious facts into parchment, marking them off with those beautiful curvy checks.

Alright… I'm Twilight Sparkle, check. I’m the Princess’ star student, check. I have talent that can be put to use, check. I’m on our side of this war, check. I… Horsefeathers! It all pointed towards creating this murderous bomb. That’s what she would be best at. Twilight stared daggers at the seat in front of her, blaming it for her misery. The sleeping stallion in front of her shifted and mumbled, he was having a nightmare in which daggers came out from his seat and impaled him until death.

Maybe it was stupid of her to only consider things about herself. It had been morality that made her so uneasy about the project in the first place. What did morals dictate? Twilight closed her eyes and continued her organizational fantasy, albeit less enthusiastically after her first failure.

Hmmm... It's wrong to kill others, regardless of anything, check. It would definitely be better to find a peaceful way to settle the war, check. One should be loyal to their friends and loved ones, check. One shouldn't disappoint others who ask for help, check. We owe a lot to our teachers and should respect their wishes, check. Wait... UGH! Even morality was against her! Twilight couldn't disappoint Celestia, she couldn't disappoint EQUESTRIA. Twilight growled and knocked her head against her headrest a few times, stopping when a mare gave her a worried stare. Twilight blushed and smiled sheepishly. As soon as the mare looked away though, Twilight returned to her pouting and facehoofed so hard it was almost painful.

It wasn’t fair to Twilight, why was she torn in between two terrible options? She did the easiest thing she could do. The inner rift was killing her, so she opened up the darkest place in her mind and shoved all her worries into it. She would deal with them later.

For now, she needed to rest. Lack of sleep didn’t do her well, it certainly hadn’t served her in the past. She would never forget the infamous “Burning of the Boutique” incident. Housecleaning spells, she had learned that day, could go rather volatile without proper focus. Rarity had been furious… Well, jewels can solve any relationship problem. Twilight mentally slapped herself, HARD. That was a beautiful thought. Yeah, that would make a real great friendship letter to the Princess.

Twilight closed her eyes with a mumble before drifting off into her guilt-ridden dreams. The stallion in the seat in front of hers stopped twitching, it seemed the daggers had fallen asleep.


"Twilight!!"

Groggily, Twilight raised her head and looked in the direction of the enthusiastic shout. Mmmm, comfy… Such a pretty field of flowers she was in…

Who?... Oh, Rainbow Dash and Applejack were galloping towards her through all the flowers, climbing the round hill that Twilight had apparently chosen to nap on. That’s pleasant, they had been off fighting for months now. It was good to see them visiting, plus that probably meant things were going well with the war if they had time on leave.

Twilight called out to them from her prone position, “Applejack! Rainbow Dash! I’m so glad to see you both. Have you seen Rarity or Fluttershy? Any news from Pinkie Pie? We have so much to catch up on!”

The two hardy ponies slowed to a stop in front of her and flashed Twilight the smiles she had missed for so long: Applejack’s positive and reassuring, Rainbow’s proud and fierce. Applejack spoke.

“Wrrim-wrrim-wrrim-wrrim-!” Twilight’s eyes widened, her ear twitched, and she stared. Rainbow started up too.

“Tugu-tugu-tugu-tugu-tugu-tugu-!“ Both ponies kept up their strange banter until it formed a persistence background noise that drowned the rustling of grass and petals. Twilight just marveled. She couldn’t comprehend what they were doing. Was this some kind of army thing?

“Uhhhh… Girls? Everything alright?”

A blue jay leapt into flight and flew over the ponies’ heads. It then tweeted out a massive train whistle. Almost on cue, Applejack and Rainbow Dash began to slow their chanting with an unnatural precision. Applejack spoke again.

“Good evening fillies and gentlecolts. This is your conductor speaking. We are just now entering the Canterlot train station. All ponies planning on exiting the train should prepare their luggage. On behalf of EquesTracks, thank you for your patronage.” Wait, Applejack wasn’t a stallion! What is-

Just then, a fierce wind blew through the field and the rustling of plants made a high pitched squeaking that Twilight found impossibly annoying. It was almost like a train braking… Her brain made the connection. Both Applejack and Rainbow Dash exploded and Twilight got hit by a face-full of multi-colored water, the liquid making a crashing sound.


KSSSSHHHH!!! With a slight start, Twilight woke up from her slumber, her eyes flying open. That was definitely really creepy. Sure, speaking in train noises was weird enough, but then they both… exploded and made that steamy noise that came when the train stopped. Was her mind really that demented? She made a mental note to research the significance of dreams in relation to sanity. Thoroughly unsatisfied with her rest, Twilight woefully got out of her seat and took off down the car.

After a quick search through the baggage car Twilight found and levitated away her small suitcase as other ponies likewise searched for their luggage. The suitcase was adorned with the Equestrian royal seal and earned quite a few interested looks from others. Twilight didn’t see any real reason to be upset at earning the stares, she wasn’t… well yes, she maybe was just a little bit on a top-secret government project (or at least she presumed it was top secret). Still, she didn’t like the stares, they made her self-aware.

Should I act like a government pony? Or should I just play it cool? Oh what the HAY. Does it even matter? No, it doesn’t. But seriously, come on Princess. Did you have to make everything as annoying as possible? Twilight was still fuming as she left the train.

After a few moments of rage Twilight remembered to pull out the map and directions the Princess had given her from within the suitcase. At least the Princess had prepared some necessities: a comb, toiletries, a little travel money and the map and directions. The Princess had gone through such trouble to prepare the suitcase, she really should have just asked ahead of time and Twilight could have brought her own travel gear. The rush felt wholly unneccessary, what was Celestia talking about, 'daylight savings time'? It seemed a poor excuse for kicking Twilight out like that, she controls the sun! It was almost like Celestia hadn’t wanted to leave Twilight the option to stay.

Twilight froze in her actions and marveled at a lamppost. It was an absurd thought. The Princess wouldn’t manipulate her like that and force her to go. She wouldn’t have left her optionless.

She shook her head and cleared her thoughts. Twilight was sure that she was just thinking the worst about the Princess. After all, she was so perturbed at the moment that she must have been channeling her anger towards the Princess. That was all. She put that worry in the dark corner along with all her previous fears.

Removing herself from her mind, Twilight narrowed her eyes at the map she held magically suspended in from of herself. She found the train station on the map. It was time to find Warehouse 15.


Author's Notes:

Wow, I really hate that dream part. I was planning on planting some kind of cryptic message in it, but this is what came out. I don't know, my friend told me it was fine but I'm not sure if he was being nice or what.

This chapter was pretty heavy on Twilight's feelings and concerns, but rest assured, in the next few chapters things will pick up, in case this wasn't your cup of tea. Things are gonna be happening instead of just thoughts being thought.

One thing I'm wondering about... The constant questions. I've been taking this omniscient perspective where we can see everything Twilight is thinking, but it feels like every other sentence of Twilight's musings is a question. I'm worried that either it makes the message too vague for you readers or it's just getting repetitive and dull. Thoughts, everypony?

So yeah, chapter two, I hope you enjoyed it! Overall, I like this one better than chapter one. I hated chapter one. The Twilight/Celestia converstaion was giving me hell, it was just so awkward. I still hate the dream though. I'm not sure whether it or the Twilight/Celestia part is worse.

Thank you for reading! Any and all feedback will be loved and tolerated.