• Published 21st Aug 2013
  • 966 Views, 7 Comments

Five Minutes in a Balloon - Rocket Lawn Chair



Heady adventurous exploits? Ridiculous romps and hijinks? Feeble attempts at 19th century writing styles? Sounds like an adventure befitting the intrepid Pinkamina Pie! Who let Pinkie get her hooves on a hot air balloon anyway?

  • ...
0
 7
 966

For the Greater Cause of Science!

Pinkie Pie eyed her provisions carefully. From her experience in numerous expeditions, she knew her health and nutrition were all too crucial.

"Hmmmm.....I think that one needs more frosting," she mused as she spied a particularly underwhelming specimen. She wasted no time in applying the frosting tube she carried, generously administering frosting until she was satisfied. "That could have very well meant life or death on my expedition!" she gasped.
No sooner had she resumed her inspection did a soft knock resonate from the front door. "Aha! She has arrived at last!" said Pinkie with a grin. Briefly abandoning her inventory, she skipped to the front door to address the timid pegasus who would be waiting there. "My dearest Fluttershy, do come in! I have been expecting you!"

The butter-yellow pegasus hesitated momentarily, astonished that she was expected. "Me?? I just wanted to ask what that giant balloon-thing is for." She gestured outside to the hot-air balloon Pinkie had moored in front of the shop.

"Ah! A time will come for answers," replied Pinkie, "but for now, I require your help with these provisions!" Without waiting for a reply, the excitable pink pony pulled her timid friend inside.

The yellow mare drank in the sight, gaping at the awe-inspiring mountain before her. "Wow, Pinkie! That's a lot of cupcakes!"

"Cupcakes! Oh ho, not just cupcakes!" replied the irrepressible Pinkie Pie. She dove into the pile, resurfacing with her hooves full of all manner of pastries.

"What in Equestria is it all for?" inquired Fluttershy, now more puzzled than awed.

"Variety, dear Fluttershy! Got to have the four basic food groups, you know: Pie, Cake, Cookie, and Candy! A balanced diet is essential for any enterprise!"

Fluttershy looked at the pastry-covered Pinkie Pie, scratching her chin with her hoof. "Umm, I'm not so sure that you can split those into different food groups."

Pinkie narrowed her gaze upon Fluttershy, quite serious now. "Now, Fluttershy! That is an attitude I simply will not stand for!" Pinkie put her hoof down for emphasis, an emphasis which was squelched in a chocolate cake. "Think of those others out there! Those others who say that we cannot do certain things! Their minds are limited by what they imagine are the limits placed upon us by physics and natural law! How dreary it must be to see only walls, never imagining the greener pastures on the other side! You are not one of those, Fluttershy! Remember that!"

Fluttershy stared back blankly, now utterly lost.

"Yes, we stare down those nay-sayers! We are truly ponies of vision!" Pinkie held her chin up nobly and put a hoof over Fluttershy's shoulder. "Come! Let me show you what I mean!"

Bewildered, Fluttershy followed Pinkie outside. There she saw the bright pink balloon hovering meters above the ground, held fast by mooring lines. "What are you doing with Angel's Royal Bunny Basket?" asked Fluttershy upon noticing an oversized wicker basket with ropes trailing from it. "I have been looking everywhere for that!"

"Have no fear, my dear Fluttershy, for it is being used for the greater cause of scientific exploration!"

"But, Angel has been missing it so much....." Fluttershy squeaked as she trailed off.

"I'm sure Angel could not deny this most noble use of his basket!" said Pinkie as she admired the gaudy pink balloon.

"But....it's his favorite-"

"And he is not the only one to make a contribution to this most worthy endeavor!" exclaimed Pinkie. "Look here! These ropes were all provided generously by our dear friend, Twilight Sparkle!" She beamed amicably at the yellow pegasus. "Oh! And of course Rarity, a most altruistic benefactor of science, indeed! She provided the material necessary for the construction of the envelope!"Pinkie said, gesturing excitedly to the rotund floating balloon.

"What about that thing?" indicated Fluttershy to the device beneath the balloon.

"Ah, yes! That ingenious device is pumping the balloon with the hot air. Once again, this hot air was generously supplied by our friend Rarity! Haha!" Pinkie Pie chuckled at her own joke.

Fluttershy looked at the curious hot air device incredulously. "Where did Rarity even get such a thing?"

"Wonderful, isn't it?" replied Pinkie, "Rarity was most generous to part with her precious mane dryer!"

"Actually, I think Rarity mentioned that she has been missing that-" Fluttershy's reply fell on deaf ears.

"Science is grateful for her sacrifice!" proclaimed Pinkie.

The yellow pegasus, deflated, resolved to listen to Pinkie Pie's pompous prattle.

"Indeed, great intellectual pursuits require such sacrifices. No pursuit as daunting and lofty as this could exist without great provisions from our benefactors, who are to be thanked tenfold! For their reward is not one of material gain, nor of potent standing among society. No! For them, it is rewarding enough to further the noble pursuits of science and exploration, for Princess and Prowess!" Pinkie stood atop the basket, one forehoof over her heart, the other raised high in the air. A few passersby had stopped to examine the spectacle that was Pinkie Pie.

"What are you talking about?" asked a curious green mare.

"That's the very thing, isn't it?" Pinkie said staring directly at the bewildered pony. "What great venture do I now speak of? What do I, the intrepid Pinkamina Pie, intend to do, in the spirit of science and exploration?" Quite a crowd was beginning to gather, wondering what the commotion could be about. Between the bizarre balloon and the animated Pinkie Pie, the entire thing was quite a curiosity.

Pinkie now addressed the gradually growing crowd. "Have it be known that this very afternoon, that I, Pinkamina Diane Pie, shall go forth into the unexplored regions of the Everfree Forest in this very device I have fashioned!" she said gesturing to the balloon. "I will bring back a bounty of knowledge and glory, for Princess and Prowess!" Pinkie opened her hooves wide to the skeptical onlookers. "I do this on behalf of all Ponyville, of all Equestria!"

"Good luck!" scoffed a pretentious blue colt.

"I thank you for your blessings and fair wishes, my good ponies. But indeed, I shant need them!" She patted the side of the pink balloon affectionately. "I have the upmost confidence in my device and my abilities. I shall not fail!"

A number of snickers rippled through those gathered, unnoticed by the grandiloquent Pinkie.
Fluttershy, quite overwhelmed by Pinkie's claim and lofty speech, could not manage more than a silent, "What?"

"Fluttershy! Dear Fluttershy! T'would be unfortunate, nay, a sin, to forget your role in this scheme!" said Pinkie, noticing the timid pegasus for the first time since she began her speech.

"M-my role??"

"Quite! You shall verily share in the glories to be had in the exploits of the vast unknown!"

"What??"

"You're coming with me, my dear!"

"WHAT???" Fluttershy froze where she stood, not knowing whether to run or curl into a protective ball.

Pinkie trotted over to her friend, a reassuring smile on her face. "Yes, that was my reaction too when the Institute chose me for this expedition! Don't worry, your shock will wear off shortly! The excitement is almost too much, I know! But we must try to contain ourselves. We are ponies of science, of great prowess! We are about to undertake a great enterprise!" She waved her hoof, gesturing to the great beyond.

Fluttershy was rooted to the spot, paralyzed by fear. Pinkie gave her a curious look, which was quickly replaced by her typical sunny grin.

"Fear not, my friend! I shall attend to the final preparations of the balloon myself. Once all is prepared, we shall embark on our great journey, high in the air, into the interior of the Everfree Forest!"
Pinkie began making the final preparations for the balloon, attaching the wicker basket, loading her superfluous provisions, and ensuring the balloon had enough lift for the load.

All the while, Fluttershy remained motionless, one eye on the edge of the forest and the other on the pink balloon floating high in the air. "...Help!..." she squeaked, but nopony paid any heed. The gathered ponies remained fixated to the balloon, fascinated and amused by the wanton preparations being made.